PDA

View Full Version : Best Hotel at Aberdeen....

ATPMBA
23rd Nov 2014, 21:17
Hello,
What hotel would be the best to stay at by the Aberdeen, Scotland airport to view helicopter operations?

Thanks.

Mach Jump
23rd Nov 2014, 21:32
The Thistle Hotel is at the airport. Ask for a room with a view of the helicopters.:)

MJ:ok:

Bravo73
23rd Nov 2014, 21:35
Don't stay at the Menzies (on the other side of the airfield). It is a proper sh1thole.

PS The Thistle isn't much better!

shetlander
23rd Nov 2014, 21:44
There is a brand new Premier Inn and Mariot that both overlook the main runway.

ATPMBA
23rd Nov 2014, 21:53
Is the Speedbird any good? Good room good views?

I want to do some photography.

I hear that Aberdeen is the busiest for helicopter operations in the world.

Mach Jump
23rd Nov 2014, 22:14
Bravo: Did the Menzies used to be called the Skean Dhu?

The Speedbird is across the road from the Thistle. None of the three hotels on or close to the airport were all that great. We used to call the Thistle 'Alcatraz with carpets', but it was the best of the three.

I don't know about the new hotels. They were just being built when I was there last. They may have a better view.

MJ:ok:

Bravo73
23rd Nov 2014, 22:45
Bravo: Did the Menzies used to be called the Skean Dhu?

Yep.

Some of the rooms at the back have a similar smell to a '70s sink estate. :yuk:

diginagain
24th Nov 2014, 01:47
Is the Speedbird any good? Good room good views?About 20% of the Speedbird's rooms face the airfield, but none of them will give you a worthwhile view of the helicopter operations. You will, however, hear them, no matter which room you get.

Of the two latest editions to the landscape, neither offer the scenic views you ask-for.

About the best vantage-point, given decent equipment, would be just off the road leading up to the Aberdeen Airpark facility.

There are many fine hotels in and around Aberdeen. Just not near the airport.

The Menzies just gives me flashbacks to FIBUA-training.