PDA

View Full Version : 7000nm/38hrs non stop in a SE piston

nomorecatering
21st Nov 2014, 07:41
Long-Distance Lancair: EAAer Sets Unofficial Flight Distance Record (http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/pilots/2013-03-05-long-distance-lancair-eaaer-sets-unofficial-flight-distance-record)

Guam to Jackonville FL

My question is how did he stay awake.

His engine had 10:1 compression, obviously a custom job by Barrett engines. Does the 10:1 compression give a great fuel economy boost, any down side to having that high compression.

would this engine be in the experimental category?

Capt Fathom
21st Nov 2014, 09:54

He didn't! Ever heard of a 60 minute timer! :E

MakeItHappenCaptain
21st Nov 2014, 10:57

I dropped two cans of Red Bull and a 5 Hour Energy Shot two hours before the end of a seventeen hour stretch just to make sure I was gonna be good for the arrival. (I get paranoid about falling asleep on big overwater legs.)

Thought I was having heart palpitations! NEVER doing that again!:=

He didn't! Ever heard of a 60 minute timer!

Ever hear of the ferry pilot who went to sleep and woke up after he pumped all his fuel overboard? Bad juju.

RatsoreA
21st Nov 2014, 13:21
How'd he stay awake...

Modafinil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modavigil)

Good enough for B2 bomber pilots I guess...

Jabawocky
21st Nov 2014, 18:31
nomorecatering,
His engine had 10:1 compression, obviously a custom job by Barrett engines. Does the 10:1 compression give a great fuel economy boost, any down side to having that high compression.

good questions :ok:

Yes a Barrett Precission Engine, GAMIjectors and a bit of science.

The fuel economy when Lean of Peak EGT is definitely better, it will be around 11.7% better in terms of HP/lb of fuel. So you get more HP (about 16.64HP/USG) or better MPG. When ROP you get more HP.

Is it experimental? The whole plane is.

You can be sure the IO550 is not set up with TCM's SID97E too ;) It will be flowing quite a bit more.

This engine package is built by one of the worlds top five engine shops and the folk at GAMI.

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Nov 2014, 14:57
Wonder how close he was flying to his Carson speed?