PDA

View Full Version : IF Renewal has to be XC flight?! (NZ)

Biggles24
21st Nov 2014, 05:07
For Kiwis out there:

The year has shot by far too quickly and now find myself uncurrent for IFR.:bored:
I recently enquired about doing a renewal through my old flying school and this time it would be SE IR as opposed to ME IR which I did my initial issue on.
Apparently this renewal flight has to be XC flight. But I was under the impression for some reason this was only for the initial issue. The only reason I could see why would be is because SE is an entirely new rating. ?! Surely not. Going from multi to single is a downgrade in terms of workload (no asymmetric), and it is simply the approaches I would need to do....all of which are at the same airport of departure. The XC would just mean more $ and be unnecessary.
Anyone else out there renewed their IF rating on a single after doing an initial issue on a multi? Did you have to do a XC flight for it?

Some insight, please.
Cheers.:ugh:

big buddah
21st Nov 2014, 05:35
It's been a few years but yes that is correct the GA IFR renewal has to be a cross country flight.
From memory it is only 40nm so it's not really a train smash!
You can be crafty depending on what aids you want to get current on. Fly 40nm smash off an ILS and come back and do a non precision, MAP and you're done?

Centaurus
21st Nov 2014, 05:40
Just flying an ILS an NDB and a couple of steep turns under the hood certainly does not qualify you in the real sense of the word to head off on an IFR flight. Surely all IFR (instrument rating renewals) flights are required to include a cross-country under the hood. It includes flight planning, radio procedures, a diversion and a host of other issues pertaining to a single pilot flight whether single engine nor multi.

big buddah
21st Nov 2014, 06:58
Exactly, Thats why there has to be a cross country section.
Get under that silly waste of time hood! do some raw data ndb tracking.

Build an old fashion flight plan, fill in a couple of entries on a nav log.

These young fellas, think they can just smash a few approaches once a year and they're all good to go!!

From AC 61
IR annual competency demonstration
This will be to the same standard and contain the same elements (except where provided) as the initial issue flight test.

sahni
21st Nov 2014, 09:04
The IR renewal has to be a XC flight with a distance of minimum 35nm between nav aids. Also it has to contain all elements as if it was an initial issue. It does not matter if SE or ME, the nav aids you want to renew need to be covered. Of course there will be no asymmetric component in a SE aircraft as part of the check ride.

So brush up your IFR theory (law) and get some approach training flights with a good flight school. Then all the best for your renewal!

luckyluke
21st Nov 2014, 23:34
The internet is your friend.

Refer to AC61-17 Appendix 2.
It has all the information that you need regarding an instrument renewal:ok:

Dick Smith
22nd Nov 2014, 06:19
No wonder N Z has economic problems.

In the USA there is no renewal required for an instrument rating

sahni
22nd Nov 2014, 08:19
In the USA there is no renewal required for an instrument rating

No wonder FAA licence is not highly regarded outside USA.

swab
22nd Nov 2014, 19:47
Well said Sahni!

JAMUP
10th Dec 2014, 12:21
Since we all are on the same page can somebody let me know for a NZ IR renewal if you havent flown in NZ for few years do we have to do CPL Air Law ?

Just want to clarify if there is a BFR required when you need to renew your IR and if you havent flown in NZ for 5 years then CPL Air law should be done . Is that True?

JAMUP
10th Dec 2014, 12:23
US license is recognized only in USA and far eastern countries, but since recently far eastern countries have made it tough for FAA license conversions.

sahni
10th Dec 2014, 21:07
If your CAANZ licence was expired (not current) for more than 5 years you will have to re-sit CPL Air Law. Also you will have to have a current licence (i.e. your CPL) in order to do an IR renewal. This requires the BFR to be done before sitting the IR renewal. Please note that the BFR and the IR renewal can not be done in the same flight.

waren9
11th Dec 2014, 00:25
a reference for that sahni would be good.

atpl law exam is good for 5 years. cpl and ir exam credits are good for 3. part 61.17 refers.

61.15 says its a lifetime licence. i'm not aware of nor did i find after a quick trawl anywhere that says law must be done again after an inactive period for either licence. 61.37, 37, 39, 205, 207, 255 nor 257. may be there, but i havent found it.

sahni
11th Dec 2014, 03:32
It's a bit hidden in the CAA jungle:

Please see document https://www.caa.govt.nz/Advisory_Circulars/AC061_1.pdf, Rule 61.17 and Rule 61.41 refers.

Cheers.

aileron_69
11th Dec 2014, 03:36
I remember the 5 year rule for licences. You used to have to resit the entire CPL flight test and do a law exam, but then they changed it to a law exam and a BFR. I cant remember though, is it 5 years since your BFR expired, or 5 years since you sat your last BFR?

waren9
11th Dec 2014, 21:22
thanks sahni. in the context of the use of a lower licence, yes, the ac makes reference.

as for the legislation ie rule part 61.17 and 41 not that i see.

HardCorePawn
11th Dec 2014, 23:34
Try 61.37 (i):

61.37 Recent flight experience

(i) If the holder of a pilot licence issued in accordance with this Part has not met the requirements of rule 61.39 for a period of 5 years or more, the privileges of that pilot licence may not be exercised again unless,—

(1) the holder of the pilot licence passes an approved air law examination and meets the appropriate currency requirements of the licence (except if the holder has a current pilot licence for a different category of aircraft and meets the requirements of rule 61.39(a) for that category); or

(2) in the case of an airline transport pilot licence, the holder of the pilot licence completes the appropriate operational competency checks required in Part 119, and Part 121 or 125.

For reference, 61.39 relates to BFRs...

So, as I read it, if you haven't had a "current" BFR for 5 years... You need to resit law...

Ie. complete BFR -> 2 years -> BFR "expires" -> 5 years -> law exam required...

Sound about right?

waren9
11th Dec 2014, 23:55
well done.

so doesnt apply to aptl holders slipping back into a 119, 121 or 125 organisation which is where i was coming from

cleared up thanks.

PilotInPink
12th Dec 2014, 21:53
Back to the original question, certain simulators can be used for the cross country portion of alternate IFR renewals.

So fly 40nm in the sim, then do a bit of a beacon bash in the aircraft, and you're good to go. Saves a few $$

JAMUP
13th Dec 2014, 15:08
Thanks all for your replies ,