PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of being too Risk Averse.

Courtney Mil
17th Nov 2014, 12:42
Came across this. Yes, I know it's the Mail, but still food for thought.

Troops died because of UK general, says U.S. chief: Former General claims 'young riflemen paid the price' for Sir Nick Carter's 'risk-averse' mentality

US General Daniel Bolger says 'Troops died because of UK' | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837198/Troops-died-UK-general-says-chief-Former-General-claims-young-riflemen-paid-price-Sir-Nick-Carter-s-risk-averse-mentality.html)

MSOCS
17th Nov 2014, 12:56
So what did the author do when he was in a position to influence anything?

He's all too keen to point the finger from the safety of retirement but where was his voice when in a position to be listened to. Writing a book and venting spleen publicly from the comfort of an armchair, years afterwards, shows little moral courage in my opinion.

Perhaps Gen Carter was none-too-kind to him in his FITREP and this is his way of getting even.

Harsh to lay the blood of those who died at his feet without tangible proof. Remember all of our VSOs take responsibility of sending our troops into harm's way.

Party Animal
17th Nov 2014, 13:23
Looking at the photograph of the author (Bolger), I would not want him to babysit my kids - that's for sure!

tucumseh
17th Nov 2014, 13:59
So what did the author do when he was in a position to influence anything?

He's all too keen to point the finger from the safety of retirement but where was his voice when in a position to be listened to. Writing a book and venting spleen publicly from the comfort of an armchair, years afterwards, shows little moral courage in my opinion.

The same can be said of the UK's military leaders. In spades. Not one of them spoke out when, for example, politicians lied over Snatch, claiming it was fit for purpose. Yet anyone remotely connected with green programmes knew it had been condemned as unfit in a more benign environment, a replacement endorsed; and then not delivered. Not to mention all the aviation related deaths discussed here which, almost without exception, are the manifestation of known risks and hazards which senior staffs ignored. All you can say is the US seems to be the same. Senior staffs scared to speak out for fear of censure.

Pontius Navigator
17th Nov 2014, 14:15
Looking at the photograph of the author (Bolger), I would not want him to babysit my kids - that's for sure!

That is one scarey picture; scares me and it is not dark.

MSOCS
17th Nov 2014, 14:20
tucumseh,

Agree.

Simplythebeast
17th Nov 2014, 14:23
I was fascinated by all those Medals on Bolger's chest so I checked them out....

Defence Superior Service medal
Legion of Merit (x4)
Bronze Star Medal with Valour
Bronze Star (x3)
Meritorious Service Medal (x4)
Army Commendation Medal (x3)
Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification badge
Army Staff Identification badge
Combat Action badge
Air Assault badge
Parachutist badge

I would be interested to know in what circumstances he received the bronze star for valour?

Heathrow Harry
17th Nov 2014, 16:05
MNSTC-I (CMATT) Adviser to the Iraqi Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_Army)

Awarded a Bronze Star for Valor

he was in the Army so it was probably due to being in the combat zone but can't find any details

Simplythebeast
17th Nov 2014, 16:29
Patraeus got one when he was there because a mortar detonated nearby. On that showning every soldier out there should at least have a medal for valour.

Robert Cooper
17th Nov 2014, 16:46
The Bronze Star for Valor is only awarded for acts of heroism while in direct armed conflict with the enemy.

Bob C

Simplythebeast
17th Nov 2014, 17:17
Report in an American newspaper re Patraeus..

The most that has been publicly documented about Petraeus in real, actual combat is a mortar shell that landed near him in Iraq in 2003.
Colonel DouglasMacGregor said of Patraeus, "(He's) never pulled a trigger and killed the enemy in combat and has never been in direct fire combat."

Boudreaux Bob
17th Nov 2014, 17:55
American Troops died because of American Generals too.

Tis the same in every War....sadly.

Robert Cooper
17th Nov 2014, 18:21
STB

Sad but true. Folks in high positions will always find a way around the requirements to get what they want, or find someone who can gin up a citation.

Bob C :sad:

GreenKnight121
18th Nov 2014, 03:26
Lyndon Johnson.

bunta130
19th Nov 2014, 12:54
I worked with Gen Bolger in Iraq. He was a top bloke, committed to his troops, not averse to going out in the field with his men, and 'comfortable and competent under fire by all accounts'.

He was very highly regarded by all who worked with and for him.....

I make no comment on his Afghan exploits, nor his opinions......

His physical appearance is utterly irrelevant.........

Pontius Navigator
19th Nov 2014, 14:45
STB, happens and hopefully happens more often, ie Generals without combat experience.