PDA

View Full Version : GA Survey

Bob Upanddown
17th Nov 2014, 11:42
Survey running on AOPA website.

General Aviation Research Project 2014 (http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_formmaker&view=formmaker&id=25&Itemid=1265)

Clearly aimed at aircraft owners rather than renters so clearly the terms of reference for the survey are alongs the lines of "find out how much aircraft owners are spending in the UK and if that has decreased".

I suspect they will get a very limited view of what is going on in GA if they limit a survey to aircraft owners and flying to UK airports. Why?? It isn't where I am doing my flying.

Maybe the people behind it have a political motive and are looking for data only to support their political motive.

BEagle
17th Nov 2014, 12:02
Which part of Question 11 is causing you difficulty?

11. Do you own your own aircraft?(If you own a share, answer Yes)

Yes (Go to Question 14)
No (Go to Question 12)

The survey refers to UK aerodromes, not airports. So if you fly from Farmer Giles' strip at Little Piddle on the Gusset, that's a UK aerodrome by definition.

Bob Upanddown
17th Nov 2014, 12:19
They go on to ask about cost of maintenance, hangarage, etc...

They don't ask how much I have spent hiring an aircraft from a flying club. Why not? If, like me, you try and maintain currency on several types, you cannot own or even have a share in every type

If they wanted to know about the cost of flying, then why not ask how much it has cost me to maintain my licence, how much I have spent on aircraft hire (which, in some cases, may have been more that if I owned) the cost of my medical? There is a lot more to flying than the cost of owning.

There is a clear bias to the aircraft owners here so what is the political motive behind it?

Is a farm strip an aerodrome? Surely an aerodrome would have an ICAO code assigned to it.

Johnm
17th Nov 2014, 14:05
Is a farm strip an aerodrome? Surely an aerodrome would have an ICAO code assigned to it.

ANO definition:

[Aerodrome] Means any area of land or water designed, equipped, set apart or commonly used for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft and includes any area or space, whether on the ground, on the roof of a building or elsewhere, which is designed, equipped or set apart for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft capable of descending or climbing vertically.

Mach Jump
18th Nov 2014, 00:52
Both BEagle and Johnm are quite correct.

Surely an aerodrome would have an ICAO code assigned to it.

I can think of several, very busy aerodromes without ICAO codes.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
18th Nov 2014, 07:09
which is designed, equipped or set apart for affording facilities for the landing and departure of aircraft Which excludes those using the 28 day rule!

Andrewgr2
18th Nov 2014, 07:17
Doesn't say anything about how often a place designed, equipped or set apart is used. Could be never, but could still be an aerodrome.

Mach Jump
18th Nov 2014, 07:19
Why does it exclude them, Whopity?

Whopity
18th Nov 2014, 11:58
designed, equipped, set apart or commonly used for affording facilitiesWouldn't qualify as "commonly used" and the designed, equipped and set apart, might be considered by planners as an indication of "permanence" rather than occasional use. Open to debate of course.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2014, 16:10
You have to be an AOPA member as well, so that's me out.

G

Johnm
18th Nov 2014, 16:38
A farm strip with very little use would qualify as designed and equipped if the grass was mown from time to time and a windsock made available, why gold plate the definition?

ChampChump
18th Nov 2014, 20:01
It is going to be a very selective survey if it excludes all but AOPA members who own aircraft.

Does York realise this, I wonder.

It does smack of politics; I hope we're wrong.

Mach Jump
18th Nov 2014, 20:21
I know were all a bit cynical in GA these days, but I wonder if we're getting a bit paranoid here.

Looks like AOPA doing a survey of their members to me.

Does York realise this, I wonder.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what has York got to do with this?:confused:

MJ:ok:

ChampChump
24th Nov 2014, 21:24
Survey written by York Aviation.

Mach Jump
24th Nov 2014, 21:32
Ah, I see.:)