PDA

View Full Version : Could it Happen? and then what !?

Finningley Boy
17th Nov 2014, 01:41
SNP Trident deal to hand Labour power | Scotland | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/scotland/536255/SNP-Trident-deal-to-hand-Labour-power)

Accepting the possibility of the story in the link actually materialising. If we arrived at the stage projected by Ms Sturgen, do we imagine a Miliband led Labour Party with the largest share of seats but no overall majority would accommodate an SNP as third largest party in Westminster with such ridiculous (my own opinion) demands. Apart from anything else, with the possibility of another Global recession (pray not) and the plainly made point that Billions more need to be cut from Government spending over the next 5 years if we're going to avoid Bankruptcy as a nation, that being the U.K, just where hell do the likes of Sturgeon find justification for threatening/promising such a major upheaval and demands for such irresponsible spending. Or is she on a hiding to nothing!?!?!?:confused:

FB:)

effortless
17th Nov 2014, 08:59
I think that we have learned that staying in power is the only thing that matters. I believe that either party would do this to that end.

airpolice
20th Nov 2014, 13:52
FB, in the event that she gets the chance to suggest such a plan, Milliband, or some other Labour PM, has a choice regarding the spending of billions.

The SNP would not be responsible for making HMG spend **** loads of money relocating the subs. HMG might decide to do away with them instead, saving a small fortune.

Archimedes
20th Nov 2014, 14:17
Although they are only projections based upon the opinion polls, Sturgeon is being a little optimistic about the SNP's role post the election. On current returns, Labour would be one seat short of a majority and the Lib Dems, despite their collapse in the polls, would still have 23-25 MPs.

The most likely outcome, therefore, would be the disappearance of Clegg as leader (assuming he retains his seat) and his replacement by either Simon Hughes or Vince Cable (or possibly Malcolm Bruce, the current deputy), all of whom would instinctively fit more readily into a coalition with Labour.

The considerable risk of being seen by an increasingly discontented English electorate as being beholden to the SNP would, I suggest, see the most likely initial attempt at forming a coalition coming from Labour and the Lib-Dems; the Tories and UKIP would make hay on an almost daily basis along the lines of 60+ million inhabitants of England & Wales being done over to pander to the 4 million people living in Scotland were a Labour-SNP coalition to result.

If the polls are anywhere near right, of course...

The Lib Dems have their own views on Trident replacement, of course, but are less likely to be so troublesome to Miliband over this issue.

Idle speculation on my part, but it is another alternative to the confident 'we will hold the balance of power' line coming out of Ms Sturgeon at the moment.

kintyred
20th Nov 2014, 14:28
fB,

Sturgeon is not proposing spending more money, she simply says she doesn't want the next generation of nuclear weapons in Scotland. As a committed right-winger, it's about the only thing that would make me vote for the commies.....what we want with a nuclear deterrent I do not know and if we're looking for budget cuts this must top of the list.

ShotOne
20th Nov 2014, 14:40
As to the original questions: would Ms Sturgeon trigger such major upheaval and irresponsible spending. Answer, undoubtably if it achieved the SNPs aims. It's not as if it's their money being spent. Would Milliband go along with it to win (steal, rather) power and govern England by grace of SNP support? Bearing in mind Brown's last act in office was to try to stitch up a deal with the libdems to cling to office I wouldn't bet against it.

Herod
20th Nov 2014, 16:57
Why don't we start with the plans to move the subs south? Seems logical to me; then they have no argument. As to doing away with Trident, I don't see either the Americans, NATO or the EU being very happy about that.

Wensleydale
20th Nov 2014, 17:07
The new SNP leader has already stated that she would not form a full coalition in the event of a hung parliament. My reading of her comments is that she will use the balance of power to create havoc within government and make such a nuisance that "England" will be forced to consider devolution if only to get rid of her and her party so sound government can take place again.

Finningley Boy
20th Nov 2014, 19:17
Wensleydale,

She certainly isn't prepared to enter into any kind of pact with the Conservatives.

Kintyred,

I've often thought in recent times that circumstances being what they are, a different approach to the Nuclear deterrent might be worth considering. i.e. a Tactical weapon system. However, I honestly think that the rise of Russian Hegemony under Putin makes the Strategic Deterrent a more viable option again.

The trouble ahead that I see is people getting to sit on the Government benches who 20 or more years ago would have been seen as far too radical and dangerously idealistic, but now stand a far better chance of placing the future prestige of the U.K. in question and turmoil. Not to mention the near certainty that a any kind of Left/Liberal coalition would doubtless endanger the economy. Whether, Labour teamed with the SNP or the LibDems, Greens etc, any future Government pick 'n' mix involving any of the afore mentioned is bound to pursue flawed economic policies based on trying to rip into Millionaires and Billionaires (fruitlessly) while in practice ending up ripping into people who are perhaps not laden with surplus cash but manage to get by in a nice family home they've had for years. That could end in tears for many. Vote Myleen Klaase!:ok:

Lima Juliet
20th Nov 2014, 19:26
Ok, but only if she can be a Honorary Air Cadet Gp Capt as well! :ok:

http://famousdude.com/images/myleene-klass-09.jpg

I might have a few ideas for the RAF Uniform & Dress Committee as well!

ShotOne
20th Nov 2014, 19:36
"Why don't we start with the plans to move the subs South" ..er, why? Certainly not to satisfy the narrow populist agenda of a party which represents about 4% of the UK population.

Finningley Boy
20th Nov 2014, 19:41
Nice pic Leon,

Who is she?:)

Lima Juliet
20th Nov 2014, 20:10
That, Sir, is Myleen Klasse without an "e"! :E

PS. I believe the correct spelling is KLASS

jonw66
20th Nov 2014, 20:36
Class Leon class old chap.

Finningley Boy
21st Nov 2014, 07:05
Klass eh! So who was I going on about?:confused:

Finningley Boy
21st Nov 2014, 07:09
In answer to my own question, I was thinking of a well known Dutch Lady artist called Myleen Klaase!?

Wensleydale
21st Nov 2014, 07:14
I did hear rumours that she was going to be the Honorary Gp Capt, but that was just Hearsay!