PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me why Typhoon93 is banned please?

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 17:21
I am gobsmacked, he has shown nothing but a keen interest in the RAF and hasn't done anything to deserve the detritus thrown in his direction. It's people like this that are the future of the RAF.

Just a genuine question as if one is to ban people who are none services, one might as well delete the questions about officers and aircrew joining thread, as each and everyone asking are not service personnel, present or ex.

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2014, 17:40
I can suggest two reasons: May be he was a troll.

There was a very young Portuguese from Madeira who was British by birth (his parents were hotel workers in Guernsey). He was banned for his own good as he kept posing questions and ignoring answers.

NRU74
14th Nov 2014, 17:46
How did you know he was banned?
Is there a published list of banned posters somewhere on this site ?

MPN11
14th Nov 2014, 17:48
Flagged by the UserName

Nige321
14th Nov 2014, 17:48
Find one of his posts - there's a little gnome holding a 'Banned' sign by his name...

Lima Juliet
14th Nov 2014, 17:50
Look at his posts and it says "Banned!" next to it.

Looking at some of his other posts he seemed to be asking a lot of Qs on various sensitive matters. The latter was something about nuclear weapons. There are very clever people out there that tread the world of cyberspace who often aren't who they appear to be.

Luckily for me, my blithering gives me away as a Crab every time! :ok:

LJ

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 17:55
Thanks, I liked the guy... He was keen

Wrathmonk
14th Nov 2014, 17:57
His last post was in Jet Blast (detailing his views on nuclear weapons/energy) which didn't seem to be too controversial. Maybe an over enthusiastic PM to a MOD asking him to think before hitting 'submit'??

Of course, if he genuinely overstepped the mark (or let his mask slip to reveal the true person ;)) the offending post may have been deleted by the moderators already.

Tashengurt
14th Nov 2014, 18:00
A tad fanciful I think Leon.
It got to the stage where everything he posted was jumped on.
He was even criticised for risking OPSEC when he posted a link to a story from the RAF website!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Union Jack
14th Nov 2014, 18:02
Luckily for me, my blithering gives me away as a Crab every time! - Leon

Not to mention that curious sideways walk.... I said not to mention.....:D

Jack

MPN11
14th Nov 2014, 18:02
In such matters, it is always best to defer to the Moderators.

They have more access to data, and can see the overall picture far easier than we can*.

As I was one of the adverse commentators on his posts, I now expect a flood of supportive/apologetic PMs from those who called me a bellend and a prick ... But I'm not holding my breath.

*(Former ARRSE Mod)

gr4techie
14th Nov 2014, 18:08
Tashengurt. We who are actually in the RAF are told not to advertise ops or deployments on social media. But don't just take my word for it, if you don't believe me, feel free to check the offical policy. *Edit= https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/27933/20090805UMODOnlineEngagementGuidelinesVersion10.pdf

The best thing would have been wait until they're safely back before posting.

Tashengurt
14th Nov 2014, 18:09
I say again. It was on the friggin website!!!!!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

phil9560
14th Nov 2014, 18:12
Seems a little cruel but there you go.

Two's in
14th Nov 2014, 18:14
As I was one of the adverse commentators on his posts, I now expect a flood of supportive/apologetic PMs from those who called me a bellend and a prick ... But I'm not holding my breath.

MPN11 - or do what I do, just hold the insults in credit for the next time I am being a bellend or a prick, that way everything balances out...

OmegaV6
14th Nov 2014, 18:19
Why is he banned ?? Quite simply .. the bullies have won.

MPN11
14th Nov 2014, 18:29
Why is he banned ?? Quite simply .. the bullies have won.
Or, alternatively, the Moderators made a judgement.

Anyway, not a good topic to pursue.

Final arbitration always rests with the moderator and administration team. This team also retains the right to remove any post, any thread and/or any member for any reason or no reason at all. Feel free to report any posts which breach or appear to breach Forum Rules.
http://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=pprune_rules#faq_pprune_rules_rules

Lima Juliet
14th Nov 2014, 18:49
I say again. It was on the friggin website!!!!!

The thing is Tash, the questions he (or she) had/has been asking around the data he has mined from the website aren't on the open internet.

The one that rattled my cage was the question about whether ALL of our guys were now out of AFG. When I pressed why he needed to know, he said that it would be nice to know. Then, when I opined that he doesn't need to know then and explained that it wasn't a game, I was pilloried for being a bully!

As GR4Techie says, there are some things we just don't talk about - didn't your mum ever tell you not to talk to strangers?! :ok:

If he is who made himself out to be then I feel sorry for him, but I would suggest that some of the content he chose to comment on what was somewhat odd. There are quite a few of us on here that saw this oddness and others that percieved it differently; I'm guessing the Mods weren't a part of the latter crowd!

LJ

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 18:50
Preparation for UK Military Pilot Aptitude (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/550934-preparation-uk-military-pilot-aptitude.html)
This is on page 2 of the forum he seemed to get on well with everyone apart from a bit of sarcasm. Not sure without looking back if anyone actually mentioned the wannabe thread.
Tiffy posted on the NZ nuclear thread on Jetblast his last post if it was his last post looking at that thread he had a lucky escape.

Tashengurt
14th Nov 2014, 18:58
The one that rattled my cage was the question about whether ALL of our guys were now out of AFG. When I pressed why he needed to know, he said that it would be nice to know. Then, when I opined that he doesn't need to know then and explained that it wasn't a game, I was pilloried for being a bully!

Sorry, I just can't believe he was part of some espionage ring using PPrune to extract tit bits about troop movements and military doctrine.

His question re the remaining troops in Afghanistan was daft yet are we saying the enemy rely on web trawls rather than indigenous cleaners, cooks and whatever?

I tend to think he was trying a bit too hard to come across as well informed and incisive.

Brian W May
14th Nov 2014, 19:07
Maybe his shilling ran out . . .

Lima Juliet
14th Nov 2014, 19:13
Here are some more 'innocent' Qs he asked...

Engines, roughly how many Gs can the F-35 pull?

Is it different for each variant?

Any info on that Typhoon? What caused that? Just out of curiosity.

Is that a live weapon on the pylon? I would have sh*t myself!

Arrestor cables and catapults.

I've read that these new carriers are certainly capable of being converted for CTOL aircraft, but will they be?

I understand UAV's are a possible reason for conversion, however I mean for manned fast jets.

My best mate was there earlier this year working and he got a ride in one of the Subaru's down the runway to bring one of the U-2's in. He got to try space food as well.

Apparently the Yanks have got an awesome badge on their flying suits - a picture of Snoopy with "Still not here after 40 years" written under it. LOL

...what happens if the aircrew of the target aircraft have lost all radio contact and can't receive the orders of the intercepting pilot? What would happen then? Would the pilot be forced to engage if the a/c continued on its course?

This took me 5 minutes to find, can you see how his little innocent Qs could lead to someone spilling something they shouldn't? He could be a journo or someone sitting in a North Korean uniform - or of course he could be someone with a very odd thirst for knowledge. :eek:

LJ

Tashengurt
14th Nov 2014, 19:22
I take your point Leon but were he up to no good isn't his opening gambit a little odd? 'I really want to fly fast jets but here's a list of medical reasons why that's probably never going to happen' (sorry T93)

Anyway. I'm coming across as his mother. I've told him he was warned to tread lightly several times and failed to do so. You don't stomp around in big boots on someone elses lawn.

Lima Juliet
14th Nov 2014, 19:25
You don't stomp around in big boots on someone elses lawn. :ok: that made me chuckle :ok:

I might also be completely wrong and he/she is as they appear. Anyway, time to roll in my self important arrogance and forget all about him/her/it...

LJ :cool:

The Helpful Stacker
14th Nov 2014, 20:20
'I really want to fly fast jets but here's a list of medical reasons why that's probably never going to happen'

Great way to disarm people, running out a sob story.

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 20:30
I was one of the ones most openly critical of his posts. I thought there was something odd about his posts right from the word go, and I was pilloried for being critical. Although I must admit I'm not very subtle, so largely my own fault. He will be back, either through it being only a temporary ban or under a different user name.

S-D

Roland Pulfrew
14th Nov 2014, 20:58
Sorry, I just can't believe he was part of some espionage ring using PPRuNe to extract tit bits about troop movements and military doctrine.

His question re the remaining troops in Afghanistan was daft yet are we saying the enemy rely on web trawls rather than indigenous cleaners, cooks and whatever?

I tend to think he was trying a bit too hard to come across as well informed and incisive.

Tash. Have you never heard of open source intelligence? Or phishing? This is an anonymous forum but there is an awful lot of classified knowledge in the memory banks of many of the posters on here. Sometimes you should just be just a little suspicious of the "innocent".

Jimlad1
14th Nov 2014, 21:04
OSINT really scares me and its something that needs to be taken seriously. There is so much information on the web that 20 years ago would have been heavily protectively marked, but which has leaked out through people assuming that somehow the other side aren't paying attention.

There is a fine line between genuine questions and when things get more interesting and I firmly sit on the side that its better to be cautious.

dragartist
14th Nov 2014, 21:09
Could he/she have been a reincarnation of Hanoi Jane? We never did find out if Jane was a plant.

Willard Whyte
14th Nov 2014, 21:10
You don't stomp around in big boots on someone elses lawn.

True. There are quite enough people here stamping there tiny little feet already.

gr4techie
14th Nov 2014, 21:16
T93 could well be genuine and inquisitive. But someone else could accidentally get carried away and end up revealing too much when answering questions on current capability, ops and deployments.

Also theres nothing to stop a journo from looking at PPRUNE and taking posts out of context to meet the journos agenda. For example... political arguments, viewpoints on policy.

Alister101
14th Nov 2014, 21:24
There's nothing suspicious about what he's asking, he's a keen 21 year old who loves avaition and is curious.

If you haven't been in the cadets, UAS/URNU/OTC You're not going to be around people who have answers to your questions. So you'll go somewhere else to get your answer, an aviation forum filled with ex and current members is only logical!

I've been to Certain RAF base, when there was a State owned aircraft with a special VIP onboard, and I was asking around if the aircraft had Chaff/Flare or any special countermeasure. - dodgy?!! Did I get kicked out ? No I got an answer.

Typhoon isn't a troll, nor is he someone whos reporting back to anyone. You should feel utterly ashamed for bullying his lad. Pilots to us wannabes are like superheroes, he's just trying to fit in. He just has a dream and is going about it in his own way.

phil9560
14th Nov 2014, 21:25
Just a giddy puppy displaying typical characteristics of his generation-knowing everything.

But I doubt he's running SMERSH.Or SPECTRE for that matter.

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 21:27
he's a keen 21 year old
How do you know that?
Typhoon isn't a troll
How do you know that?
he's just trying to fit in
Really?

S-D

goudie
14th Nov 2014, 21:35
It may have been more suitable to just ignore his posts, which I do agree were a bit tiresome and odd. If his detractors had not reacted he may have got the message eventually, whether he was genuine or a troll.
I didn't care too much for the way some people treated him, with heavy dismissive sarcasm. There was a better way.
I don't think banning him was a victory for his detractors either, just an easy solution to what was becoming a problem for some regular posters.
Best draw a line under it now.

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2014, 21:37
HJ was genuine. We talked of several topics. He was limited in what he could say and ask because of the regime there.

Roland Pulfrew
14th Nov 2014, 21:40
Typhoon isn't a troll, nor is he someone whos reporting back to anyone.

And you know this how exactly? :rolleyes:

Alister101
14th Nov 2014, 21:42
Quote:
he's a keen 21 year old
How do you know that?
Quote:
Typhoon isn't a troll
How do you know that?
Quote:
he's just trying to fit in
Really?

No one does! But using judgement and logic, his name ends in 93 which suggests the year he was born in, common add-on to do with usernames! He was obviously keen, look at the questions and he put in a FoI about campaign medals - Not keen enough for you?

Ofcourse he's trying to fit in, he's among individuals who he idealizes!

Alister101
14th Nov 2014, 21:46
And you know this how exactly?

Member XYZ of PPRUNE said a pair of GR4s are flying over France tonight, I must report back to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.....

Oh, and ISIS's new tactic is to overwhelm Her Majesty's Armed Forces by sending multiple FoI....

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 22:00
Alister, you're a young lad/lass, probably very similar to T93 in age and experience. But you haven't behaved like him. There's a reason for that.

S-D

OmegaV6
14th Nov 2014, 22:00
and having succeeded in getting him banned .. probably by umpteen "reports" .. the bullies now do the self justification bit .... not needed if it was a genuine "troll" as the Mods would have dealt with it weeks ago, however the "vocal posters" who seem to be trying to now run the forum must have their say ... much to the detriment of the forum IMHO.

Union Jack
14th Nov 2014, 22:09
A shame perhaps that Typhoon does not seem to have taken greater account of Danny's excellent advice in Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW11 namely:

"Welcome Aboard ! You must be about our youngest member - and can look forward to being our Oldest Inhabitant ca (20)85 if the Thread lasts that long (and you always remember to fly ''Low and Slow, with plenty of Top Rudder on the Corners'') - and listen to the Ancient Aviator over in the corner, bearing in mind the fact that he is Still Here while many others are Not....D." :ok:

Jack

Tankertrashnav
14th Nov 2014, 22:14
Personally I had nothing against him. He just seemed like one of those kids you get at school who always want to hang about with the big boys, even though they either ignore him or tell him to bugger off.

I was going to calculate how long it was going to take him to catch up with Beagle, as he was posting at 3 per day, but I discovered that Beagle's rate is over 4 a day, so those graphs were never going to cross (especially in view of Beagle's great age ;))

Archimedes
14th Nov 2014, 22:21
No one does! But using judgement and logic, his name ends in 93 which suggests the year he was born in, common add-on to do with usernames!

D'you not see the flaw there, Alister? Yes, judgement and logic suggests.... but where's the proof? For all any of us know, he could've been born in Leningrad in 1972 and be attempting to suggest that he wishes to join the RAF...

And I'm not attempting to be rude, but the all the sarcastic observations about GR4s over France suggests that you don't quite understand how gathering OSI works...

GR4 over France at (say) 2216 on a Friday? File that away.
Next week - ooh, look. GR4 over France again, same sort of time.
The week after - well, I never. There's a GR4 over France.

Pattern starting to develop, d'you think? What of it, you ask? Google 'pattern of life intelligence'...

FOI requests - well yes, actually. If you know the system, then you know that it diverts effort. And then gives you either information or pieces of a jigsaw or hints as to what to look for through other sources. At a low-level, FOI requests see your enemy causing himself disruption and doing your part of your collection activity for you...

I moderated a forum once (indeed, until about two weeks ago). An acquaintance made me a moderator of his forum without asking; he was/is a decent sort so I did it to help out, even if the subject (football) doesn't exactly fire my enthusiasm. We once had a chap who turned up on the forum. Living in Italy in an idyllic rural setting, a regular spectator at one of their Serie A teams, witty, amusing, in his mid-20s, posted photos of matches he'd been to and of him with fellow fans and sometimes with footballers he'd met.

Great. Until the site owner, I and another moderator got a sense that something wasn't quite right.

And it wasn't. He was posting 'live' match reports from his seat on the halfway line in the Italian club's stadium. From an IP address in Reading...

And the photographs of him with various well-known international footballers were stolen from someone's Facebook page (a genuine fan of the team this bod claimed to be a supporter of). And some of the ones from games were taken from elsewhere on the web.

Whereupon, with an hour to kill, I looked at the snippets of information he'd given about himself. And then found little inconsistencies - nothing you'd notice in the context of an easily-forgotten post, but taken together?

He'd built himself a legend, for purposes unknown (because after putting it to him that he was shovelling bovine organic product faster than a JCB on rocket fuel, he asked for his account to be deleted). But he was plausible and he clearly wasn't just there for the chat.

My point is that your certainty that T93 is an enthusiastic wannabe who has been done down is misplaced. You can't be certain.

On the balance of probability, I happen to think that you're correct about him being nothing more than an over-eager sort asking daft questions. The problem was, his enthusiasm had got to the 'Terrier attaches itself to leg of vicar when you've invited the good Reverend round for tea and scones, and promptly rubs itself up and down the man's trousers despite all attempts to dissuade it' level of enthusiasm, which will always evoke a negative response...

Thelma Viaduct
14th Nov 2014, 22:22
North Korean infiltrator, best one yet bell-ends.

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 22:29
If Beags is a North Korean infiltrator he is very determined

Laarbruch72
14th Nov 2014, 22:39
It's nice that OPSEC has become a theme in this thread, there are clearly some people that need a reminder so some good comes of it. It's rife on internet forums, this need to keep up a personal appearance of knowledge with a lower regard for how that small snippet of information, one bit at a time, always feeds into a bigger intelligence picture.

Archimedes has said it all well. Sarcastic remarks around T93 being North Korean intelligence just show the level of naivety. None of you know who he or she is. Not grounds for a ban maybe, but a great reminder that you know very, very little about who is asking questions about capabilities on military fora, and why.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 22:45
We still have capabilities?

superq7
14th Nov 2014, 22:53
It's common sense anyone asking about sensitive info on a mil forum should be either ignored or reported to the mods.

Laarbruch72
14th Nov 2014, 22:54
Good joke, but talking about what lack of capabilities we have (in detail) is just as useful an intelligence tool, and something people on PPRuNe seem just as happy to spill their guts on.
(Replying to Nutloose)

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 22:58
Laarbruch I don't think he's letting anything out the bag

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 22:58
Haha just sounds like a lot of people on here watch far to many action films 007 anybody?, PMSL.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 22:59
Agreed, but in this day and age a lot of what is mentioned is generally out there in the public domain, that said if in doubt keep quiet. Totally agree the web can be deceiving when it comes to talking about things... Myself I won't even do online banking as I feel it is insecure, strange but true... I am a firm believer in the, if software is written by man it can be hacked by man.

I do hope the Mods see this thread for what it has become, it is reminding everybody about the need to be more diligent about what one posts.

phil9560
14th Nov 2014, 23:03
Oh for Christ's sake.Now the hapless kid is a North Korean spy ??

Eff me.

barnstormer1968
14th Nov 2014, 23:03
Laarbruch

The funny thing is that while what you say about a bigger intelligence picture is true, who on earth would bother to listen to T93 for info.
The G limits for the F35 are available already in PPRuNe threads, and posters give away official secrets on a daily basis in the military forum.
It's been interesting to watch posters be suspicious of T93s questions while happy to tell all kinds of things if asked by other posters. I am fairly confident that most of the things I'm thinking of have NOT been run past a security or media person before being typed on this public forum.

I have no idea why T93 was banned, but do know an awful lot of stuff is posted here that isn't open source, and would be useful for evil doers to know........
As an example, I'm sure a lot more was published on PPRuNe about Merlins hot and high performance and serviceability than the government wanted to be released to the world :)

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:04
I think we can safely say Nutloose is harmless. I reckon I've read about half of his nearly 9,,000 posts. One or two were interesting, the rest were the harmless dribbling of someone doing well on care in the community.

S-D

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:08
Can't see North Korea mentioned till post 45

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 23:09
I can see you tied to a post and zeroed in for a mortar shell if you ever visit my country Salad Dodger..

:E

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:10
You are a happy chap SD

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:13
Nutloose. You've just made me spill my red wine. That was funny. Good night mate.

S-D

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:14
Anyone know the official flash point of NAAFI cooking oil, i do but cant say due to Official Secrets Act, lol:D

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:16
The flashpoint of Avtur is 38C. Now, do you know what flashpoint even means (without going and looking it up) ?

S-D

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:20
(without going and looking it up) ? ooooh hey vicar, lmao:D

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:21
Whats the flashpoint of vin rouge

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:24
dunno can only afford cheap lager

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 23:26
Wifebeater?....... Sorry.... Stella?

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:28
You owe me Nutloose, my wife wants to know why I'm going to bed giggling like an idiot. I just can't get the image of visiting madsville and being tied to a post waiting for a mortar bomb out of my head.

S-D

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:29
John Smiths man myself had a few but not as wound up as vin rouge kid

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:31
Gigglinglike an idiot out of your head

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:34
Stella, Stella, thats top price stuff i can only run to Asdas own brand lager never mind that vin rouge lager!!

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:37
Well done Jon, I liked the way you did that. You took my words and added them to how you feel. Sort of clever and subtle, only you self-depracatingly made it look you are neither of those. Good show!

S-D

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:37
Vin rouge is red wine in french just in case you went to school with salad

phil9560
14th Nov 2014, 23:39
Deprecating.

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:41
Apologies salad dodger

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:43
But you really do with taking a chill pill you started attacking people

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 23:44
Thank you Phil, value adding as always. It's the little things that make a difference isn't it.

S-D

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:44
oooh would of never guessed, theres me thinking its lager, your just too funny, no wonder they trust you will such sensitive info of vital importance lol

phil9560
14th Nov 2014, 23:47
Devil is in the detail.

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:48
Was a joke spooky and have not been privy for some time and don't claim to have been

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:49
who can afford pub prices?

spooky3
14th Nov 2014, 23:53
i was only jesting to Jon no offence intended

chopper2004
14th Nov 2014, 23:57
TBH, one thing on this forum that was slightly concerning was the instigator of the Vincennes thread. He came across as ummm aggressive and seemed to get worse as logical explanations were given by all of us and one could not reason with said chap who introduced himself as an academic researcher...post grad that was. Judging by his introductions and wording sounded like a foreign student.....

Another slightly unnerving thing from personal experience of late for the above, was a friend of a friend (whom unfortunately I went to school with in another century) is a bit a of a loudmoth and has made his money in the IT sector. Anyway in earshot I heard him ranting on about the USA being hypocrites after slamming those who shot down MH370. His basis of the argument was about the Vincennes incident and in his narrow minded view he saw the US to be perpetrators and had no right to criticise who shot down the Malaysian jet. I got fed up of hearing his voice and stupid analysis. I tried to intervene in argument and explain the ins/outs from my expertise of working in aviation and he kind of shut up or was told to by other people. One of his friends, this Japanese student seemed interested in what I was saying however I gathered she was not technical au fait as she was here doing a proper degree and her English was good but also I think she is a jump-on-the-bandwagon-naivety amongst the other listeners in the group. Anyway I was half tempted to put him on the spotlight and ask if this reaction would really help the relatives get over their grief, and seek justice or threaten put him on a plane to Netherlands and Australia to spread his BS and see what reaction he would get

cheers and have a good weekend

jonw66
14th Nov 2014, 23:58
Phil around post 56 salad turned up giving people grief so I was just giving some back normally agree with him but abuse is not nice
Spooky none taken

dagenham
15th Nov 2014, 01:08
Christ guys what a reaction! Are we that paranoid.

I am sure nk/Iran/China/Russia etc etc have better sources of info than a forum of old lags like this. Usually hacking bae, lm or Boeing.

Bugger me the frankentanker thread could be and probably is a rich veinof information but no one is baying for bans. this is a public forum it is not secure and if you reply to a stupid question you only have yourself to blame for the consequences when bead window, chrome claw and opsec are questioned and black omega or Chevy surburbans pull up outside your condo, house or cardboard box.

He seemed keen and tried to be respectful. I think that's another guy who think aircrew are prima Donna close shop what Evers. If you have this viceral reaction to the kids posts I suggest you leave this place and keep your counsel to the mess or crew room.

When I was done I thought I left this **** behind, I have now this is my last post

Toodles and catch you on the flip side

GreenKnight121
15th Nov 2014, 01:27
Here are some more 'innocent' Qs he asked...

Quote:
Engines, roughly how many Gs can the F-35 pull?

Is it different for each variant?
Quote:
Any info on that Typhoon? What caused that? Just out of curiosity.

Is that a live weapon on the pylon? I would have sh*t myself!
Quote:
Arrestor cables and catapults.

I've read that these new carriers are certainly capable of being converted for CTOL aircraft, but will they be?

I understand UAV's are a possible reason for conversion, however I mean for manned fast jets.
Quote:
My best mate was there earlier this year working and he got a ride in one of the Subaru's down the runway to bring one of the U-2's in. He got to try space food as well.

Apparently the Yanks have got an awesome badge on their flying suits - a picture of Snoopy with "Still not here after 40 years" written under it. LOL
Quote:
...what happens if the aircrew of the target aircraft have lost all radio contact and can't receive the orders of the intercepting pilot? What would happen then? Would the pilot be forced to engage if the a/c continued on its course?
This took me 5 minutes to find, can you see how his little innocent Qs could lead to someone spilling something they shouldn't? He could be a journo or someone sitting in a North Korean uniform - or of course he could be someone with a very odd thirst for knowledge. :eek:

LJ

Funny - I have seen every one of those (except the last one) asked, commented on extensively, and blathered on endlessly about repeatedly here.

Why is it ONLY T93 that has been jumped on for asking these?

Incidentally, the airframe contracted design max G-ratings of the F-35 variants has been public knowledge for years:
F-35A 9G, F-35B 7G, F-35C 7.33G

Compared to the 9G of the F-16 and the 7.5G of the AV-8B and all F/A-18 variants.

downsizer
15th Nov 2014, 06:41
The internet is amazing entertainment.....:cool::8

BBadanov
15th Nov 2014, 06:48
There are plenty of "fan boy" sites for kids where he can hang out.

This is for "professional" rumours...

barnstormer1968
15th Nov 2014, 08:49
GreenKnight121
Ref your post #85
Maybe it's because T93 said he wasn't military (on an anonymous forum).
Oddly though, many of the greatest or most treacherous betrayals have come from insiders, whatever side they are on. Of course none of us should be surprised at that as outsiders don't have the sensitive info to give out generally :)

This is the internet after all and odd things happen. Oleg Gordievsky spilled the beans and we like him as it had a massive effect on the Cold War.

Another chap spills the beans to wiki leaks and he's a baddy as it was our secrets this time :)

Then there is the 'doesn't matter as it's among friends' stuff like the Mull Chinook thread where an adversary could learn just about every control setting, display, nut or bolt (or lack of) in the RAF chinook cockpit :)

This is an anonymous forum and anyone could be good or bad (in most cases)
For all any of us know this forum may contain one of the worlds best 'North of England accent' impressionist.............you would never know by simply reading the texts in the threads :)

Maybe T93 was A North Korean dictator, but maybe not. But, look on the bright side of things. I may have found out why the RAF don't bother to stand near their aircraft at a local air show now, I don't need to know anything about them :)
Oh well, the Royal Navy, the the French, Italians, Germans and Dutch were happy to talk to the general public and answer questions, so it still makes for a good day out.

gr4techie
15th Nov 2014, 09:20
T93 doesn't have to be a North Korean dictator himself. But ANYONE else can read the answers on current capability, ops and deployments for themselves, without logging in. Or overhear someone talk about it.

downsizer
15th Nov 2014, 09:41
There are plenty of "fan boy" sites for kids where he can hang out.

This is for "professional" rumours...

The irony of that statement being the percentage of info relevant to the military professional in this sub-forum of the site seems to drop daily...:\

Not saying thats wrong btw, simply an observation from someone still in.

Whenurhappy
15th Nov 2014, 09:56
This is proving to be an interesting discussion about open source material/Open source Intelligence,social media and a chasm between the 'need to know' and the 'want to share' generation.

Perhaps, because of T93's apparent naivety, posters happily gave him information and opinions on a whole raft of military aviation matters. Yes, it seems that most of the information that he (?) sought, such as G rating for particular airframes &c, is available open source, however professional opinions based, frankly, on centuries of combined experience by senior aircrew on this site, is not. Added to that, how many posters actually ask detailed information about current operations and equipment? Most queries seem to be about time-to-height of the Lightning/Phantom/Mosquito, or the 'vapour pressure in the third stage thrunge flange compressor of the Varley 'Panjandrum' MkVII'. Perhaps I exaggerate.

Facts, by themselves, do not equate to intelligence. Facts have to have the 'so what?' test applied to them. Opinions, intent, evaluations, context and assessment is what gives intelligence - both OS and classified - meaning.

I'm probably as guilty as most here for falling for the 'big puppy-dog' eyes persona that T93 cultivated; we felt sorry that he was unlikely to achieve his boy-hood fantasy of flying fast jets (mind, nor did I!). But again, probably just harmless. Just saying...

Finningley Boy
15th Nov 2014, 10:03
Just about 4 or 5 years ago there was a chap who used to post on UKAR under the stage name "Air Typhoon" his age was published as 17 at that time. He was also picked up for starting threads and posting comments which were deemed to be vacuous. However, he wasn't targeted with anything like the clubbing Tiffy 93 has had on here. I imagine he is exactly who he claimed to be, many of his posts sincerely portrayed a young man or woman of thevery age group he claimed to belong to rather than someone based in Russia, China or North Korea trying to gain an intelligence advantage over the vast unstoppable and inpenetrable resources of H.M. Forces.

The way he expressed himself really said it all! Remember the question about pilots' aircrews' human rights, on the F-35 cancellation thread I believe. That said it all for me. Just a young person who's head has been filled with all the nonense and manner of the present age, but longing to escape it and become someone quite different hence his idolization of Courtney and Beagle etc.

And that folks concludes FB's psychiatric report!:}

FB:)

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2014, 10:08
WUH, quite. I was given clearance to publish something 8 years ago though I was Not cleared to say I had been cleared, go figure. The article was subsequently published in a journal.

This year, with substantially the same information, slightly expanded in content but halved overall, permission was denied even though it was 45 years ago.

Tourist
15th Nov 2014, 10:11
Personally, I don't think he/it is a spy.
I just think he/it is profoundly irritating and I'm glad he's gone.

Those who cry "bully" need to get a life.

Bullying can be serious and unpleasant as anyone who has been bullied or witnessed bullying can testify.

The thing that makes it so unpleasant is the inability of the victim to affect his or her situation or avoid their tormentors.
The child at school has to face the bully's every day, ditto an adult in the workplace etc. They have to turn up and face their pain with no way out and start to dread each day.

On pprune military forum(a place where T93 has no business being) T93 can stop the "bullying" in a instant by various means.
He can just never visit. There are a million other forums more suitable.
He can start again an unlimited number of times with a new pseudonym until he comes across as less of an irritation.

At worst I/we are being unpleasant d1cks to the kid. He chooses to come back for more.

Bullying it ain't.

parabellum
15th Nov 2014, 10:11
I opined that he doesn't need to know

And that is what it is all about. Need to know, not want to know.

For several of you here who rant on that all the numbers have long since been published, can you put your hand on your heart and say they are the actual numbers? No? Thought not. What has been seen on PPRuNe are the released numbers, just an outside chance that a pilot, (possibly 'in his cups'), might post other numbers, it is all grist to the mill. The assumption that if it is either on the RAF website or here on PPRuNe makes it correct is naïve in the extreme, equally the bland assumption that if other people are talking or writing about it then it must be OK shows a total lack of understanding of intelligence gathering.

Intelligence gathering is a very painstaking exercise and several here appear to know nothing about it, jumping easily to conclusions and assumptions, that makes you ideal material for the gatherers, collators and analysts.

For all we know T93 may have received warnings from the Mods and ignored them, possibly the Mods were asked to shut him down, not necessarily because of what he was saying/asking but because someone was providing answers that would best be left unpublicised on a world wide public forum.

I personally doubt that T93 was shut down simply because he was being a waste of bandwith

goudie
15th Nov 2014, 10:15
The irony is that this thread, regarding his banning is longer than the one that led to his banning. On that thread he made just 3 posts.

1, welcoming home 31 Sqdn. 2, are they all home now? and 3 admitting he really didn't need to know.

He has been described as anything from a 'wannabe' to possibly a N. Korean spy!

I can't help thinking that he has created a sense of paranoia among some posters:eek:
Whatever he was/is he certainly ruffled a few feathers and created some serious discussions re. security.

andrewn
15th Nov 2014, 10:50
LJ, thanks for that summary of T93's posting, made me laugh out loud.

IMO it's unlikely T93 is a threat to national security, but nevertheless probably best all round if he takes a breather.

By the way does anyone know what the IR signature of an F-22 is versus Typhoon (just curious that's all). Ho, ho, ho

Whenurhappy
15th Nov 2014, 11:16
Parabellum,

I couldn't agree with you more. One just needs to see the army of posters who infest the comments columns of western media casting invideous doubt on Russia's behaviour in Crimea, Ukraine, MH 17 ad nauseum, making otherwise rational people account for Russia's behaviour as a result of 'NATO & EU'aggression. Now I'm not saying that T93 is one of these characters, but this discussion does highlight how malfeasance can take place on forums.

salad-dodger
15th Nov 2014, 12:46
Tourist, spot on.

S-D

London Eye
15th Nov 2014, 13:25
The summary seems to be (ignoring the N Korean angle for a moment) wannabe joins forum he probably shouldn't but where he would almost certainly be tolerated in small, measured doses. He gets a bit carried away, probably with the best of intentions and misses the hints (some of them heavy handed and potentially a little unkind) until the moderators make it a bit clearer to him.
If you are reading this Typhoon93, I do hope you hold on to your ambition and enthusiasm as you search for your role in the future - if that isn't the RAF (and none on here are qualified to judge on the evidence provided) you will do well to apply the enthusiasm you have towards being a pilot to whatever that might be.
For what its worth I personally found your posts a bit annoying, especially the frequency, on a forum I visit to catch up with those with a similar background. Equally, you would do well to remember the views on pprune are not typical of what you would hear from a bunch of pilots in training or on their first tour. Do visit, LISTEN and learn - but do remember a pinch of salt here and there.

tucumseh
15th Nov 2014, 13:37
WUH, quite. I was given clearance to publish something 8 years ago though I was Not cleared to say I had been cleared, go figure. The article was subsequently published in a journal.

This year, with substantially the same information, slightly expanded in content but halved overall, permission was denied even though it was 45 years ago.

Just last month I sought permission to quote from an unclassified MoD report, which is reasonably widely available. I had been asked by an MP to offer comment, and I sought permission from Min(AF) and the Head of the Civil Service.

The reply was that if I wanted to quote from it, I should seek it under FoI (despite stating I already had it).

It was sought, and MoD denied its existence!

I sought legal advice and duly quoted it, sending a copy to both the above twats. The "theory" being that MoD could not complain as they had lied.

Typhoon 93? Far worse than he post here regularly.

Tourist...

T93 can stop the "bullying" in a instant by various means.
He can just never visit.

That's the MoD attitude. Get rid of the bullied and leave the perpetrators free to carry on. Not sure if you really meant it that way.

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2014, 14:07
T93 was not the first to be pilloried. I remember one young man who used txt and yuff speak who was criticised for it. His response was it was a web forum where spullin and gramer didn't matter.

He was reminded sharply that this was a professional forum and proper English, of a near approximation :), was expected.

Willard Whyte
15th Nov 2014, 14:15
There are plenty of reasons to insist on, at the very least, attempting to use acceptable spelling and grammar.

Being a professional forum isn't one of them though. It just comes accross as extremely pompous.

Stanwell
15th Nov 2014, 14:16
What fascinating reading this thread has provided.

I will admit to scratching my head over the volume of T93's posts but I do think Archimedes nailed it.

London Eye, that's also what I think.

Courtney Mil
15th Nov 2014, 14:20
Willard, yeah, but there's a world of difference between common errors and teenage text speak. Great shorthand for typing with two thumbs, but not necessary here.

I rather like the fact that this forum is usually quite well written and the language fairly moderate. But then I'm probably just pompous.

Stanwell
15th Nov 2014, 14:22
Pontius,
Yeah, but he was a deadsh1t.

Well-meaning members took the time to try to give him a steer - and then?

The dude was an oxygen bandit.

middleground
15th Nov 2014, 15:38
Debated posting on this thread for some time now & it is certainly full of Holier Than Thou members.

The original question was about why T93 was banned? pretty sure the mod that banned him is the one to answer that question.

As for need to know v want to know. I am certain for those that need to know, threads on this and other forum sites will not be the source of that info. If PM info has been inadvertently disclosed it is the one doing the disclosing at fault not the one asking the question.

He was/is naive and some of questions are a little odd for those of us who serve or have served, but a NK spy does not that make.

Oh and By the way does anyone know what the IR signature of an F-22 is versus Typhoon (just curious that's all). Ho, ho, ho

Why would the IR signature change depending on what the opposition A/C is?:ugh:

And in the interest of transparency, Yes I serve, Yes I'm aircrew albeit not a two winged bus driver.

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2014, 15:56
Wordsmith

Compared with rather than versus?

PICKS135
15th Nov 2014, 16:53
Want to know when Q launches from Lossie or Coningsby ?
Register on one of the aviation enthusiasts forums. Soon as they start engines its posted.
During the Commonwealth games closing ceremony, the Voyager tanking the 2 Q aircraft was on here Plane Finder ? Live Flight Status Tracker (http://www.planefinder.net/?minlat=54&minlon=-9&maxlat=58&maxlon=0)

Couldnt see the Typhoons but certain websites were streaming the comms.
The information is out there. People dont need to come here and troll for answers

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2014, 17:03
Picks, true as far as it goes but as mentioned before, it is not the fact but the logic.

What would the Typhoon do if it couldn't communicate, or the intercepted aircraft refused to comply.

ShyTorque
15th Nov 2014, 17:05
Anyone know the official flash point of NAAFI cooking oil, i do but cant say due to Official Secrets Act, lol

Dunno for sure but judging by memories of the taste and appearance of their "meat" pies and other products, it must have been on fire most times they cooked anything.

Basil
15th Nov 2014, 17:13
Yes I'm aircrew albeit not a two winged bus driver.
Ooh, you bitch! :p

spooky3
15th Nov 2014, 18:19
Dyslexic pilot, the ability to fly a plane not write a frigging book😁

Flap62
15th Nov 2014, 18:55
Most people on here take themselves WAY too seriously.

If you think anyone is trolling, ignore them. If you think you are under subtle interrogation by an agent of North Korea - ignore them! The kind of person that would answer any question that is looking for sensitive information doesn't have the answer, believe me.

If you think a question is being rather naively asked by someone of tender years (perhaps) would you be gratuitously rude to their face? I think not. A bit of maturity and understanding required here folks.

PEI_3721
15th Nov 2014, 19:15
http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/028d8826-e289-4282-b8a2-8acef9ddb01b-large.jpeg

Union Jack
15th Nov 2014, 19:28
The exchange which particularly tickled me was when the delightful Danny posted at #6286 on Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW11 , in response to a question from Typhoon about g forces in Spitfires :

"Typhoon93, (#6274)

No idea ! (No G meters in Spitfires). Reckoned to be 4 or 5G (and that was a guess, I think). The Spitfire two-tier rudder stirrups were designed to delay the onset (as your raised thighs would help a bit), and you clenched in your tummy muscles, but that was about all you could do.

I think I speak for many: with your Callsign, and aged 21 , are you perchance one of our Young Tigers ? .......D."

and Typhoon modestly replied at #6287:

"Danny, yes I am.":uhoh:

Jack

dervish
15th Nov 2014, 19:35
FWIW, I'm with those who think the mods should concentrate on the trolls who spoil the enjoyment of the forum. That too can be an offence, at least in the UK. Having said that, the worst one was a retired Air Chief Marshal, who hasn't been heard from for a while. :}

Chugalug2
15th Nov 2014, 19:57
dervish:-
Having said that, the worst one was a retired Air Chief Marshal, who hasn't been heard from for a while. :}Perhaps he was banned also, dervish. Oh, it doesn't work like that? Well, who would have thought...

Thelma Viaduct
15th Nov 2014, 20:13
North Korean pPrune infiltrator, roflol :D :D :D :ok:

Mechta
15th Nov 2014, 20:44
The irony is that this thread, regarding his banning is longer than the one that led to his banning. On that thread he made just 3 posts.

1, welcoming home 31 Sqdn. 2, are they all home now? and 3 admitting he really didn't need to know.

So how may people ask questions here because they really NEED to know?
Ok, an answer may point you towards a verifiable source, if you do NEED to know, but are you going to quote an answer from a forum as gospel at work? It would probably be fair to say that at least 95% of the questions asked in this forum, and I don't mean by T93, are in the 'curious to know' category and nothing more.

NutLoose
15th Nov 2014, 21:13
No idea ! (No G meters in Spitfires). Reckoned to be 4 or 5G (and that was a guess, I think). The Spitfire two-tier rudder stirrups were designed to delay the onset (as your raised thighs would help a bit), and you clenched in your tummy muscles, but that was about all you could do.

Hence why Bader had the advantage, he could withstand more G in combat than fellow pilots, as he had no legs to pool the blood in.... Little known fact that.

G figures are not recorded in the pilot notes I have for the Mk1 14 and 19 (Sad I know, but they were given to me) simply because without a gauge the pilot wouldn't know what they were pulling I suppose, they just give airspeeds and a warning not to over stress the wing if it has metal ailerons on the Mk1

PICKS135
16th Nov 2014, 12:38
PN. Surely if Typhoon couldn't communicate, or target didn't comply, it would be up to 'Dave' in Number 10 or somebody in the control cell to issue the order.

jonw66
16th Nov 2014, 12:51
Typhoon no longer communicates on here don't think Dave was involved

Courtney Mil
16th Nov 2014, 13:59
Picks, it may also be that no politician would be willing to put him/herself in a position to go to jail for getting the decision wrong with limited information. Just maybe.

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2014, 16:57
It was T93's question, the answer, had it been forthcoming and accurate, would certainly have breached the "it is not HMGs policy to confirm or deny . . . "

For example, an AVM writing in a Secret Eyes letter actually made a confirmation of policy. When this was noticed the letter was upgraded to Top Secret.

I submit T93 was naive at best and a troll at worst.

MPN11
16th Nov 2014, 17:11
Whilst trying to ignore personalised "bell-end" and "prick" comments*, I did a quick run through this thread to see what views were. The more meaningful inputs suggest a 50/50 split in opinions on why it happened.

I suspect opinions will continue to be divided on the subject.

* PPRuNe Forums - FAQ: PPRuNe Rules (http://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=pprune_rules#faq_pprune_rules_rules)

P6 Driver
16th Nov 2014, 17:14
According to the BBC web site, some people and equipment have arrived in the UK. Some more arrive after today. Can't say any more in case I get accused of breaking "Opsec" and being flamed by trolls.

Biggus
16th Nov 2014, 18:03
In terms of what people should, or shouldn't, be telling the world about their activities, I remember the days when people living outside the wire were encouraged not to tell their neighbours what they did for a living, because of the IRA threat.

Contrast that to today, and the particular example of LinkedIn. The number of senior officers, both recently retired and still serving, who include in their experience in their LinkedIn profile their current and previous jobs titles, such as:

Director of special weapons development.
Director of investigation of recovered UFO technology.
etc
etc

Ok, I made those jobs up (or got lucky?), but hopefully you get the point. Want to know who to coerce, blackmail, threaten or honeytrap, to get information in specific areas of interest. Just google LinkedIn and a few buzz words relevant to your topic and you'll find your man... or woman!

MPN11
16th Nov 2014, 18:59
In terms of what people should, or shouldn't, be telling the world about their activities, I remember the days when people living outside the wire were encouraged not to tell their neighbours what they did for a living, because of the IRA threat.
And we NEVER used our rank on mail addresses, even inside the wire with 'innocent' street names.

For all those awful years of The Troubles, anonymity was the name of the game.

middleground
16th Nov 2014, 19:15
Social media is here to stay like it or not.

AOC 1 Gp has been tweeting for a while now about said Tornado Sqn coming home. He even stated (a day or so ago) that the Jets (and therefore crew) are home with the ground crew to follow. That implies that they were not home and possibly still in theatre (albeit a possibility they were literally right behind on AT). Guessing he thinks ground crew are expendable....:ugh::ok:

Or maybe he is a well placed individual who is happy with the current MOD PR policy.

Either way glad they home safe.

Am yet to be convinced T93 is the NK spy or that the mod who banned him as explained why.

On a serious note can he/anyone who is banned be reinstated by a different mod?

Cheers all (those that are not watching I'm a celebrity :ok:)

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2014, 19:41
MG, on your last point, yes. A US friend of mine was reinstated whereas another so annoyed the chief MoD that it was permanent. He was however able to use a different nickname.

On a different thread we were given time out and unable to even view thread. A second ID comes in very useful :)

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2014, 08:36
I see from his profile that he posted 259 times before he got chopped. This thread has now got more than half that total.

Wonder if it will achieve 260 before some kind mod closes it!

goudie
17th Nov 2014, 09:06
Wonder if it will achieve 260 before some kind mod closes it!

Whatever the outcome, he has been the most enigmatic and discussed person on this forum, to my knowledge anyway. He certainly polarised some regular contributors too. :(/:)

PPRuNe Pop
17th Nov 2014, 11:02
This thread has taken on a rather tenuous and circular route so time to close it. Sorry to those who would prefer it stayed - and to those who do not concur.....tis done. It has certainly been enlightening for more reasons than I can recall.