PDA

View Full Version : IAF Best in the world

Sun Who
14th Nov 2014, 12:36
Israel News - IAF ranked world's best air force - JerusalemOnline (http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/politics-and-military/military/iaf-ranked-worlds-best-air-force-9292?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=popularreports2014)

This is how a country can configure itself when faced with an existential threat. When there is clarity over the nature and imminence of that threat, most of the unknowns disappear and the resulting absence of assumptions leads to an effective and efficient military.

I make no comment on the moral nature of the way in which the IAF is employed.

Sun.

melmothtw
14th Nov 2014, 12:51
I make no comment on the moral nature of the way in which the IAF is employed.

In saying that, you kinda do ;-)

Melchett01
14th Nov 2014, 12:53
Statistics and spin!

I'll grant you the IAF, and IDF as a whole are very capable, but best in the world? I seriously doubt it. Best in the region maybe, but to say the world is a stretch although I'm hardly shocked that an Israeli newspaper might publish an article claiming such.

And if you want an example of spin, have a look at this article, making exactly the same claim but littered with inconsistencies:

http://http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/23511/israeli-air-force-ranked-mightiest-world/#VXecg8OCaubJIXzR.97

The title is very clear what it's about, and it even takes you to a link by those well know military analysts at Business Insider which opens up to be a regional ranking.

In terms of flattening large areas of the Gaza Strip and West Bank, they are second to none. But what about expeditionary operations, strategic power projection, global reach etc etc etc. the IAF are tactically focused across a relatively narrow spectrum of capabilities. They are good at what they do, very good in some cases, but I have a hard time in thinking they are anything more than regional leaders.

Skeleton
14th Nov 2014, 13:13
No real heavy lift capability, transport or AAR for that matter so the fight has to be in there own back yard. Having said that they have a inventory many would love.

World's best?? Maybe not but I would not pick a fight with them.

Sun Who
14th Nov 2014, 13:22
All valid points.
the IAF lacks global reach - no doubt. That's because it's configured to counter a specific threat. It can reach those it needs to very efficiently. The Israelis also have a well balanced defence/security posture, with a highly capable intelligence arm able to apply significant influence, both hard and soft, well beyond its own borders.

Arguably not the best military in the world but, I do think they have a claim to being the most appropriately configured and 'least confused' doctrinally - again, due to the proximity and clarity of the threat.

Importantly, this capability is underpinned by an, agile, responsive procurement engine, staffed by civil servants who have all either served or, importantly, are still serving.

Not a model for the UK, except to the extent it illuminates the need for clarity and singularity of purpose in defence, defence procurement and the alignment of policy to capability.

Sun.

Aerials
14th Nov 2014, 14:04
I am constantly reminded about our loss of capabilities since the Cold War fizzled out and wonder if the IDF are hampered in a similar way? Melchett01 said that they are very good in their own back yard and questioned their other capabilities. I remember that some years ago, they were much the same, looking after their own back yard and then went and rescued some hostages many miles from home in the middle of another continent!

Kitbag
14th Nov 2014, 14:38
I was impressed to read that they will have an operational JSF squadron by the middle of 2016, or maybe the article is just a load of guff?

melmothtw
14th Nov 2014, 14:41
All depends what is meant by 'operational' Kitbag. Under current plans, we should have our first operational squadron in 2016 also.

Valiantone
14th Nov 2014, 14:58
Have they retired the 707s they had fitted out as tankers?

One was at an airfield in the UK earlier this year.

V1

chopper2004
14th Nov 2014, 16:00
Entebbe was a good example of expeditionary hostage rescue....also int he 80s or 90s didn't they strike at bad guys hq in northern Africa somewhere as well?

@Valiant, yep took this pic as it appeared over me head last year

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/IDAF_k707_ELINT_3_zpse51cac04.jpg

on approach the 'hall and there was a white one earlier last year I think I saw parked at the other end...

Cheers

Heathrow Harry
14th Nov 2014, 16:05
Short track bullies - no real opposition

Alister101
14th Nov 2014, 17:08
'IAF will be the only air force in the region flying stealthy aircraft'

Doesn't Iran not have steath aircraft of their own? At least that's what they say.

ShotOne
15th Nov 2014, 11:38
So is this "Best Air Force"thing an official reward then? :) I must have missed it, what with the award of Best Northern Medium Estate Agency.

Willard Whyte
15th Nov 2014, 12:19
They were **it-hot, better than our lot, in the K sim when they may or may not have used it regularly at Lyneham many, many, years ago.