PDA

View Full Version : C210N gear failure Cairns

rutan around
12th Nov 2014, 04:52
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/11/11/1227119/966402-3d10f29c-6988-11e4-adde-708f07107ee0.jpg
GREAT JOB: A Wrightsair plane had to make an emergency landing at Cairns Airport with apparent landing gear problems. The small aircraft came to rest on the grass to the east of the main runway. Picture: MARC McCORMACK

A FEMALE pilot has been praised for averting disaster after her four passengers walked away unscathed from a crash landing at Cairns Airport yesterday.

The Wrightsair Cessna C210 was returning from a sightseeing tour when it experienced undercarriage problems about 12.10pm.
The pilot, a 29-year-old woman, tried to engage the landing gear as she circled the runway before an emergency was declared at 2pm.
The aircraft skidded to a halt on the grass next to the runway about 20 minutes later, with emergency services on standby.
The pilot was taken to Cairns Hospital with a wrist injury while her passengers were unhurt.
The plane’s propeller and fuselage also suffered minor damage.
Wrightsair founder and director Trevor Wright has operated the scenic flight and charter flight business for the past 20 years.
“I’m relieved the passengers and pilot are well and grateful that there was a safe outcome,” he said yesterday.

HighFlyer55
12th Nov 2014, 06:11
Seems to be a good day for it. There was a gear up landing in Gove yesterday also. Another 210 :D

rutan around
12th Nov 2014, 06:42
A FEMALE pilot has been praised for averting disaster after her four passengers walked away unscathed from a crash landing at Cairns Airport yesterday. Perhaps she was praised but whoever endorsed her needs a kick up the ar*e if the cause of the accident was as it appears to be from the paper's report.

It appears that one leg failed to lock in the down position. C210N's do not have uplocks and are held there by hydraulic pressure alone.

Each main leg does have a spring loaded downlock which does 2 jobs. It secures the gear in the down position and activates a micro switch which switches the gear pump motor off and the green gear safe light on.

It is not an exceptionally rare event for these spring loaded downlocks to refuse to spring out as far as they should and it is usually the starboard one that hangs up from gunk out of the oil breather pipe.

Most 210 pilots have it drummed into them to pull the circuit breaker if the gear motor runs on because they start to make smoke after a couple of minutes and shortly after fail completely.

If after a couple of gear cycles the leg still refuses to lock a normal landing can still be made. As mentioned above hydraulic pressure holds the gear up and it is quite capable of holding the gear down......only not for long or the motor will burn out.

Fly a normal approach with the gear pump circuit breaker off and just before touchdown reactivate the pump. Works a treat. Once the weight of the plane is on the gear it can't go anywhere. Pull the circuit breaker if you wish but the squat switch will switch the pump off anyway.

Although it is counter intuitive, 210's that really can't get their gear down should land on bitumen. Harsh experience (data Jabba) has proved that the bitumen does far less damage. Also don't let the firies put down foam. The plane just slides on forever and stops after the end of the foam. Cairns has an unused strip 12- 30. They should have used that one.

Duck Pilot
12th Nov 2014, 07:38
Take it easy Rutan, bit pre-mature to make judgement from a half spun report that may have come from a ill informed jurno looking for a story.............

Is Wrightsair operating out of Cairns now as well?

rutan around
12th Nov 2014, 07:47
Now now settle down Duck Pilot. I did say ' if the cause of the accident.....'

If it was something else entirely then my comments don't apply except for the landing on hard surface part.

Capn Bloggs
12th Nov 2014, 07:52
Was the 'drome closed and if so for how long?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Nov 2014, 08:43
Hi mr ra,

re 'Whoever endorsed her'....

In this 'brave new world' aren't the magic words, CSU and Retractable, plus 'Single engine aeroplanes not exceeding 5700kg mtow' all that is now 'required'..??

(That's a BIG 'single' I would think...)

I know, I, or any responsible person, wouldn't give a 210, or anything else to anybody without going thru all of the aircraft systems first....and a 'handling check' on type.....

Or knowing just where that u/c master cylinder is located.....its gettin' harder to get to for moi....but if it ain't got enough fluid, you can pump all you like......

Cheers :ok:

Look Mum - no hands
12th Nov 2014, 09:45
Saw a bit of this happening yesterday - it appeared that the nosewheel and right main were able to go up and down multiple times, while the left main just bobbled around clear of the fuselage, but not going far forward into the airflow. Haven't flown 210s for a while, but I couldn't see it being a downlock issue, or a pump/fluid quantity issue with those symptoms.

Well done in the end though.

Jabawocky
12th Nov 2014, 11:48
That could very well be the CHIEF PILOT……and she is no fool at all.

And she is a top lady too! :ok:

yr right
12th Nov 2014, 20:44
Landed on the grass rrrrrrrrr

Mr.Buzzy
12th Nov 2014, 22:12
Awesome work Rutan Around.
Flicking through a C210 operating handbook, complete with procedures for handling a non-normal gear extension, I fail to see any reference to your aeroclub "pull this, push that, when this happens, press that then kick anyone in the arse who doesn't know" operating procedure.
Truth remains, all occupants are safe while the pilot handled a very challenging day without the added distraction of your utter bullsh1t.

Bzbzbzbzbzzbzbzbzbbzbzz

rutan around
13th Nov 2014, 00:10
Perhaps Mr Buzzy if
(A) you knew the the problem I outlined existed especially in wet areas where dirt strips are involved and
(B) you understood C210 retract systems well enough to know what I'm saying is true then you would support the method outlined and save a few 210's from the scrap yard.

Perhaps you've never flown a C210 but that's no reason to call BS just because you don't understand them.

The procedure only has one extra step to the procedures normally carried out when there is a gear problem. If it works you get to save heaps of hassles and $$$$$$$$ and increased insurance premiums for all 210 owners.
If it doesn't the result is the same as it would be if you didn't try.

I didn't notice you comment on choosing bitumen over grass.

The round gear leg C210's have been around for 44 years. It would be surprising if nothing new had been learned about them since the Operating Handbook was written.

We know that under certain circumstances a C210 will flick roll. That's not in the Operating Handbook either even though there are bodies scattered around the world to prove it.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Nov 2014, 00:51
The round gear leg C210's have been around for 44 years.I think you should cut the pilot a bit of slack RT, I been flying C210 for 39 of those 44 years and have never before heard your revelation!

Also have plenty of time in C172RG, 177RG and 182RG - pretty much the same gear system as I understand it.

I have had a few gear issues with them - but never bent one!

I am curious, however, as to why flicking the electrical pump on just prior to landing will achieve anymore than pumping the emergency handle?

And yes - I would have put it on the bitumen, but I am not going to point the bone at the PIC!

Its only a frigging aeroplane - it can be fixed or written off!

Everyone walked away - nice work, I say! :ok:

Dr :8

morno
13th Nov 2014, 01:41
I flew the 210 for a bit as well, and can't say I ever heard of that procedure in the event my gear wouldn't come down.

The pilot (appears to have) followed the book. If I didn't follow the book in my job and made up my own procedures, then I'd be liable as well as sacked!

morno

rutan around
13th Nov 2014, 02:44
Morno
can't say I ever heard of that procedure in the event my gear wouldn't come down.
NOT when it won't come down. When it comes down but doesn't lock. You can identify the problem when you hear the normal loud satisfying clunk the gear makes as it finishes it's cycle and hits the saddles but the gear motor doesn't stop as it should. Shortly after you stop the motor one gear leg dangles and of course you never saw a green light. Sometimes a couple of recycles will shake the spring loaded downlock into position and all is well but sometimes......... refer to Post 2

If I didn't follow the book in my job and made up my own procedures, then I'd be liable as well as sacked!So if you knew a procedure that would save the plane you would still crash it?

I am curious, however, as to why flicking the electrical pump on just prior to landing will achieve anymore than pumping the emergency handle?
It won't but it's a bloody sight easier landing with two hands available than with one madly keeping pressure up to the unlocked leg. Once you stop pumping manually or electrically the unlocked gear dangles in the breeze and upsets the passengers.

I'm not blaming the pilot-she was probably never told. Also she probably had little to do with the decision to land on the grass.

Its only a frigging aeroplane - it can be fixed or written off!

But why do that when there is a way to avoid the accident in the first place. By the way there is a way to pretty well eliminate the c210 down lock failures.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Nov 2014, 02:48
By the way there is a way to pretty well eliminate the c210 down lock failures

Wooooh - now you are channeling Yr right! :suspect:

Mr.Buzzy
13th Nov 2014, 03:04
The result speaks for itself. A safe outcome.

Congratulations to the pilot involved on a job well done from a complimenting peer.

Rutan, about 1000 hours in the 210 and several months maintaining them. What you say may be true but I would not consider it widely known, nor would I consider anyone worthy of a "kick in the arse" for not peddling such crap.

Bbzbzbzbzbbzbzzb

Paragraph377
13th Nov 2014, 03:32
She held for around an hour. Did 2 low passes and it was confimed the gear wasn't fully engaging. Choosing the grass strip was interesting, but it prevented RWY damage and it reduced runway closure time. RWY 12/30 hasn't been used for 3 years and is in pretty ****ty shape from what I understand, hence it not being considered. Total time closed was around an hour I believe, but midfield departures on RWY 33 continued (Dash 8's) as the 210 was down near RWY 15. Most delays incurred were around 40 minutes.

The Baron
13th Nov 2014, 03:55
While I think Mr Rutan is a tad premature, I do remember the procedure he mentions. Definitely not in the Operating Manual, but in remote areas in rare events, it sufficed to get the 210 back to a LAME to fix it.
The inbound JET RPT to Cairns wouldn't have been worried about the airport closure, all the better operators would have had the fuel on board for such an event, and been able to go back to TSV.

PLovett
13th Nov 2014, 04:27
I very much doubt that that particular aircraft will not be rebuilt. It is undoubtedly the best C210 that I ever flew and is (perhaps that should now be was) the owners pride and joy. It has had a lot of money spent on it over the years and when I last flew it, had a set of digital instruments fitted alongside the analogue.

Well done to the pilot who I suspect I know also and that is not in the biblical sense for all those out there with dirty minds.

morno
13th Nov 2014, 04:51
NOT when it won't come down. When it comes down but doesn't lock

Same thing near enough isn't it?

So if you knew a procedure that would save the plane you would still crash it?

You bet your bottom dollar. What's to say my 'procedure' isn't flawed and I end up doing it, then we end up in a ball of flames? If memory serves me right, there's a procedure in the POH for a gear up landing anyway. I'd stick with that and let any engineers and insurance companies worry about 'saving the plane'. It's a fricking piece of metal.

morno

Arnold E
13th Nov 2014, 05:18
let any engineers and insurance companies worry about 'saving the plane'. It's a fricking piece of metal.

Yep, that's a fact.

rutan around
13th Nov 2014, 05:44
Wooooh - now you are channeling Yr right! :suspect:Since you asked so nicely:eek: I'll pass on what worked for me.

But first I'd like to point out to Mr Buzzy that whilst from time to time I practice engine failures, in 4000 or so hours in C210's I've never had one. I have had 2 downlock failures. If you think "peddling such crap' is not worthwhile even though it is an easy way to save the aircraft and not put a bunch of people off flying forever well so be it. Or are you saying I shouldn't practice forced landings because engines don't fail very often?

The spring loaded downlocks are little tubes about the size of a man's finger just behind the gear legs where the gear legs sit in their saddles (shallow c shaped strengthened areas where the gear legs pivot up to meet the fuselage )

These down locks can become contaminated with engine oil blowby,dust,mud,cowsh*t ,cow urine and water or a mixture of the lot.

They live in a pretty harsh environment especially in 210's with no gear doors. The worst situation is during the wet season with an engine starting to burn a bit of oil, lots of dirt strip landings involving recently departed cows, running through mud puddles and a few days later taking off in dust.

The way to keep them working is to carry a pressure pack of Inox with you during the daily inspection.Make sure it has the long skinny teflon straw attached to the nozzel. Reach up and pull down on the tube. It will stretch down enough to insert the thin straw into the outer tube. Spray till only excess Inox is running out. Then push up and repeat. Don't forget to do both sides of the plane. This process both cleans and lubricates the mechanism.

Judge for yourself how often to do it in less harsh conditions. The amount of gunk that flows out is a good guide. I only do mine every 25 hours if it hasn't been wet and I've stuck to paved strips. I haven't had one stick since I adopted the above procedures.

gerry111
13th Nov 2014, 11:16
Congratulations to the Wrightsair C210 PIC. All your passengers and yourself are safe. Nothing else matters! Aeroplanes are simply tools to hopefully keep us safe, when things go wrong.

PS: Was the PIC, Tal or Sarah?

wicks747
13th Nov 2014, 20:35
Met her at the William creek pub one afternoon, really cool kiwi girl
http://m.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/pilot-camille-davidson-returns-to-skies-after-emergency-landing-at-cairns-airport/story-fnjpusyw-1227121013520

Desert Flower
14th Nov 2014, 02:53
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was notified and may investigate.

Really? I seriously doubt they will!

DF.