PDA

View Full Version : Recognise Anyone ?

CoffmanStarter
11th Nov 2014, 18:12
Spot of help please :ok:

Following some extraordinary luck on the recent 'NCO Pilots' thread ... I thought I'd have a go with this pic from 1958. I'm trying to continue my research on the history of 1 AEF, with activities this autumn focusing on the Pilots who served from formation in September 1958 through to it's close in March 1996 (being the Chipmunk Years).

So in at the deep end ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/1AEF1957_zpsdc123de5.jpg

Image Credit : Photo extract/enlargement of an original 'Flight' Magazine image taken at inauguration of 1 AEF RAF Biggin Hill September 1958.

So my success to date with names ...

(5) F/O Guy de W Harries. Regular Commission. 1 AEF Adjudant. Served 1950's with 93 Squadron possibly RAF Celle or RAF Jever Germany flying either Vampires, Sabres or Hunters ?

(6) F/O Malcolm 'Mac' Hamilton DFC. Possibly F/O VR(T) Commission in the photo, but attained S/L rank during WWII. Served with 617 Squadron post Op Chastise flyings Lancs. He took part in the attack on the Tirpitz.

(7) F/L Frank Dennis Wolfson DFC. Possibly Regular Commission. OC 1 AEF. WWII served with 16 OTU flying Wellingtons, 192, 115 and 149 Squadrons flying Lancs. He took part in Op Manna.

(10) F/O Arthur Standen. Possibly F/O VR(T) Commission in the photo. WWII flew Beaufighters. Post War served with 500 Squadron RAF West Malling flying Meteors. Later became Deputy 1 AEF Flight Commander.

I understand, at inauguration in 1958, 1 AEF had 24 Staff Pilots including 9 RAuxAF and 4 RAFVR(T) Officers (no NCO Pilots).

Any/all leads will be greatly appreciated ... PM if you prefer :ok:

Best ...

Coff.

NutLoose
11th Nov 2014, 20:37
Want 5's email address? Do not know if current, he was on 93 sqn, check pm

CoffmanStarter
11th Nov 2014, 21:02
Many thanks Nutty ... :ok:

Cheers ...

Coff.