PDA

View Full Version : How did you all find your pilot job/or tips?

Breinzouter
10th Nov 2014, 21:55
Hi all, I know this topic has probably been started before. But I was curious into how all of you found your pilot jobs. Or if you have any tips. I've completed an integrated atpl course over a year ago, and I'm seeing people getting hired all around me because they went to Oxford. I was wondering, what else could I do to start flying somewhere and get started on my flying career..I'm currently working in IT..:\

For the people who didn't go via Oxford, did you get some extra courses to try to stand out? (i.e. upset recovery courses, or mcc courses on different aircraft sims? I'm just thinking outside of the box here :P )

Thanks in advance :)

P40Warhawk
10th Nov 2014, 22:29
Think more outside the box. Apply for groundhandling jobs. Cabin Crew. Something like that. It happens quiet regularly that CC are hired in Easy, Jet2, Thomson etc.

But REFUSE to jump into P2F. I am not talking about FR, because P2F is Paying for TR plus LT and No job afterwords. FR is quiet an ok job with pretty ok salary.

Only thing you could do is that JOC. It is totally a RIP OFF, but some airlines want to see it. But its a fun experience. Nothing more.

Breinzouter
11th Nov 2014, 20:06
What is FR? thanks for the tips btw :)

Officer Kite
11th Nov 2014, 20:20
FR- Ryanair

Will Swinburn
21st Nov 2014, 13:43
Breinzouter,

Don't stop applying, but, make a very specific hit list. If you throw enough s*** at the wall, the reality is, none tends to stick.

Get some decent industry knowledge. Draw a map of airlines and pilot movement. Who leaves which airline to go where, and, why. There are trends. From looking at these trends and catalysts, you can make an attempt at spotting the airlines most likely to open a door to you. Now you have a hit list and from the catalysts of movement, you can work out the best times to strike.

Then look at the airlines history of recruiting. How do they do it? Will this airline welcome me through the front door? Or will I have to get in the back.

Then be very specific in your application, especially if it's a speculative cv. Find out exactly what they want. Exactly what skills they're after. Who is the recruiter? Captain? FO? HR exec?

Just a start but hopefully something to get you on the right lines. I could show you loads and loads of examples of this actually working.

fwjc
22nd Nov 2014, 01:30
Target the positions you have the best chance of getting. In the first year after finishing my modular CPL ME IR I applied for 3 positions. I got one of them. It turned out to be a good stepping stone. Since then I've applied for a further 3 positions, and got one of them.

It's not RHS of an airliner, but it's paid flying and building great experience. I haven't had to P2F and don't intend to.

Have some self-respect, think beyond the narrow confines of airliner work and you'd be surprised what you can get. It's not easy, though. I had luck and contacts on my side.

Luke SkyToddler
23rd Nov 2014, 01:24
Walked into a small piston-twin air ambulance operator to drop off my CV, literally only a few minutes after the incumbent pilot had broken his leg playing basketball. Walked out with a job.

:ok:

average-punter
23rd Nov 2014, 02:46
goneflighting makes some excellent points.

Lots of guys I know got their first gig through working for the operator in another department.

Exiled Martian
24th Nov 2014, 14:04
Thanks Chaps (& ladies if applicable). I really needed this thread having posted up a similar one not too long ago seeking guidance/insight on the matter, having recently been freshly knighted by EASA/CAA :}

OP like you I wasn't FORTUNE-ATE (see what i did there) enough to attend the likes of OAA/CTC, luckily for me last month my ATO needed a temporary flight ops personnel to govern the weekend proceedings & I was ballsy enough to apply for the temp position & get the gig. So at this moment & time I work weekends alongside my orthodox 9-5 in the week, I'm currently saving up for an FI rating as things seem alil dire as far as feedback from my applications go :sad:

The weekend Ops work is basically in exchange for some SEP time. I figured this way I could keep my flying skills sharp FOC & the proverbial dream alive per se. Hopefully this will also prove to be a decent way of networking with people in the industry, as you never know who will walk in through that door for a Sarnie & some Earl Grey & Biccies on the go just in case...gotta keep the hope alive eyyyy :ok:

sn0w8
27th Nov 2014, 13:38
Its a very simple thing, but don't give up, don't stop applying. Send off letters and emails to airlines that are not even recruiting. I have seen many friends land jobs by being in the right place at the right time. You need to increase your chances of "being in the right place at the right time" by sending out as much as you can. Getting an FI rating to stay current and in the game is a good thing to. The moment you stop applying, you are much more likely to not get anywhere. Its tough but hang in there.

OhNoCB
27th Nov 2014, 13:55
Right place right time and a bit of luck will certainly go a long way. Some people advise against it, but I would agree with sending out CVs even to those that aren't recruiting (but avoid ones which you know won't look at you due experience etc). I sent a CV to a company before expecting to hear nothing back, but got a reply within a week saying they had just had an FO leave and if I would come see them for a chat they would give me the position as long as no alarm bells rang when they met me. In the end I turned it down as I was actually offered another (more stable) job elsewhere but it shows that it CAN happen.

redsnail
28th Nov 2014, 19:23
Sadly, the likes of easyJet are more or less closed to low houred guys unless they went through a particular scheme... :( Which is a real pity.

Any way, a tip I used was to read Flight International regularly. Note who's hiring engineers and sim instructors. That means they're ramping up so get your application in with them.

Good luck.