PDA

View Full Version : Best places to learn more about the airline industry

Danny.
10th Nov 2014, 18:12
Hi Guys,

After a recent failed attempt to start an airline sponsored training scheme I have decided that I need to increase my aviation industry knowledge, both in terms of my understanding of the current and future prospects for the industry and also in terms of insight into the work a pilot actually does. I am the first to admit I have only got a basic understanding of each of the above and I am incredibly keen to develop this.
So I am looking for fresh sources of information and if possible some way of being able to validate the information I read. I know that this forum is a great place to start and over the last few years it has helped me dramatically.

Here is a list of the sources I am currently aware of....
The archive threads on pprune
Balpa.org
flightglobal.com
General media ie newspapers such as the Telegraph and the Times
I also use youtube to watch documentaries on airline, I am currently watching "A very British Airline" really interesting BBC documentary focusing on BA

As you can see it is not too varied so anything anyone could add or guide me towards would be great. It would be cool if we could get some sort of list of the best go to sites for information collated and make it so that is is visible for all other potential pilots.

Thanks in advance.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2014, 23:18
Search online for a downloadable book called "so you want to be a pilot".

Go to one of these: Seager Exhibitions (http://www.pilottrainingexhibitions.com/london/)

And above all else, do a PPL.

potate
12th Nov 2014, 04:44
Get a job at an airline. Cabin crew and ground operations would give you good visibility of the day to day operations of a pilot. Failing that, you could work in the office of an airline which would still be good exposure. There are plenty of interesting jobs in the Passenger and Cargo parts of an airline - Revenue Management, Finance, Marketing, Sales.. the list is endless so use whatever skills you have. Fill your boots with industry relevant experience to talk about in interviews. I know several people who have followed this route and are now tagged cadets on airline schemes.

Danny.
12th Nov 2014, 10:47
Thank you both for your replies. Some good advice which I have taken on board. I have looked for a job in an airport but couldn't find any that fit around my current commitments. Are part time positions common? I am studying for a degree at the moment so couldn't work full time except for over the summer.

potate
12th Nov 2014, 20:58
Part time/summer work is possible. Be prepared to work the graveyard shift if not in an office based role. If your studying for a degree it sounds like you have age on your side and should not rush into flight training. A couple of years of work experience (in any industry) will help prepare you for the demands of the training course/job. In my experience, people who come direct from school or uni have to develop certain skills while on the course, which can add extra pressure.

speed_alive_rotate
13th Nov 2014, 07:05
Does anyone have first hand experience of people in ops, cabin crew etc transferring internally?? And what age bracket were they in, if you are in late 20s early 30s is this road a bit more unrealistic for you?? Appreciate your thoughts. SAR

potate
13th Nov 2014, 07:45
@SAR

To answer your question for a tagged training scheme there were several internal candidates successful in the BAFPP during the first 2 years, and I expect more from the 3rd intake. No limit on age. Their previous roles were varied: Revenue Management, Cabin Crew, Engineering to name a few. Being an internal applicant doesn't guarantee anything, but it does help to understand the business and build company relevant experience to talk about in an interview.

average-punter
13th Nov 2014, 09:26
@SAR

Your age would not be a barrier at all. easyJet give FO jobs internally to those who hold CPL/MEIRs (how this is obtained is irrelevant). I know of several ex-cabin crew now flying as FOs, also one from engineering and another from crewing. I'm sure there are several more.

I second GTE's advise of the PFTE, well worth a visit. I learned a lot when I was researching training options.

speed_alive_rotate
13th Nov 2014, 10:59
Thanks for the great Info and replies guys. Great to hear you know people of all ages being successful because all airlines will say there is no age limit for legal reasons, however when it comes to paying to type rate a guy they might think otherwise!! I would have no problem spending a few years in any department in the industry, as you have stated great to get an insight and valid experience.

Danny.
13th Nov 2014, 15:04
wow it's great to see this thread is gathering some momentum! Some really good advice here, the best bit was about working the graveyard shift!

Potate - You are right and time is on my side but I am 26 so in the not too distant future I think it might be time to earn some money, not a lot but enough to buy my girlfriend a Christmas present or two! I have worked for ten years as a carpet fitter so I do have some customer orientated industry knowledge behind me. Anyway I am now looking for a part time job at an airport, if anybody hears of anything at any Yorkshire based airport please send me a pm.

I don't know if anyone noticed but there is a newsletter sign up for pilotcareernews at the bottom of the pilot training exhibitions website. I have yet to receive anything from them but it may be good stuff.

I found a tonne of websites through Balpas website which I am starting to make my way through. It is amazing the sheer volume of information you can find when you start to really look.

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. Please keep it coming :O

Danny.
19th Nov 2014, 16:16
well over the past week I have been busy trying to secure a part time job working at Leeds Bradford airport. Unfortunately they do not have any positions available yet but I have been offered an "informal interview" for the opportunity to do some work experience at Leeds. So aside from never having a work related interview in my life( ones to get in to college and University aside that is!) I aren't really sure what to expect!

After a few more emails to them I have been told that i do not need to know anything specific but I would rather be prepared for anything than having to try and mumble along...
Has anyone had any work experience there that are willing to share their experiences with me or has anyone got any general pointers for me so that I can try and ensure the interview is a success.

I know the basics such as airport capacity and I am starting to research their future goals etc but is there anything else I should know so that I can be prepared for any questions that they ask of me?

PURPLE PITOT
20th Nov 2014, 08:24
Get a job in crewing/rostering. Then come back and tell us you want to be a pilot!

Danny.
20th Nov 2014, 09:53
Well that is an area I will now most certainly express an interest in gaining experience of and no doubts it will open my eyes to the true level of commitment required from those working in the industry. I am not sure quite how much scheduling with regards to pilot rosters etc that the airport will do but I will try and gain as much knowledge as possible.

I am sure that I will meet pilots and cabin crew whilst there so I will exploit that opportunity to thoroughly question each and everyone I meet. I'm sure by the end of my time there most people will be trying to avoid me, or I will have spent a small fortune on coffees but made some great friends and contacts.

What is your sort of working roster purple pitot? Better yet If anyone else would like to share theirs or their working experiences please feel free to do so