PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Executice Aviation Interview

Moorzy0201
9th Nov 2014, 17:41
Hi Guys,

I've been invited for an interview at DEA in Gamston (EGNE) and was just wondering if anyone has been through there interview ladder process?

Any information what they could potentially ask you and test you on (as they do ask all candidates to do a Pshycosymetric Test) now and also a technical paper on the DA42.

portsharbourflyer
9th Nov 2014, 19:40
Last year ,

The selection involved three interviews, one with Ground Ops, one with the Flight Ops department, one with Peter Bondar.

There was a flight planning exercise.

The written aptitude tests were just on paper and included, a maths test, the test on number sequences, think it also included a verbal reasoning test, non verbal reasoning (various patterns and dots, what the next pattern in the sequence type thing). Cant recall what else was tested.

If successful in the interview they were at the time charging for the flight assessment in the aircraft.

Nowayjose
9th Nov 2014, 23:36
Sounds a bit OTT for an MEP job.

Do they still want to bond people for 20k for 'line' training? And £500 charge for the flight test?

Moorzy0201
10th Nov 2014, 06:51
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response's here. Yeah the profile is still the same in the interview (I think).

They're are an AOC so they may have some sort of overhead cost. If you are successful you are invited back for a 2nd interview (check flight) and yep, it is a cost to you of £500.

Thanks anyway for the feedback! Fingers crossed!

portsharbourflyer
11th Nov 2014, 21:38
Agree with Nowayjose,

May be interesting flying, but you would think they were Emirates or something with that selection process.

Even if I passed that assessment I wouldn't have accepted.

Happy Wanderer
11th Nov 2014, 23:52
You might want to ask them what the 'salary' is too while you're thinking about it :rolleyes:

belowradar
14th Nov 2014, 18:31
Passed selection including checkride ( my cost) pulled out when I realised the pay was minimal but they expected me to be self employed and travel for me was non starter ( aircraft operating out of Gamston)

Other reason was comment made by know it all check "Captain" who made some generally adverse comments and who explained how my Altimeter and ASI works even though my aircraft and his has AHARS unit and ADC ( made me smirk slightly)

Seemed very OTT with definite military is better bias and I think that once you ask people to attend ground school you should pick up budget hotel costs

If they are cheapskates at the start it can only get worse , on the plus side not a bad income selection process to keep aircraft flying during lean winter months

Nowayjose
14th Nov 2014, 23:31
Now things are picking up in the industry, it won't be long until operators like this start loosing their crew to airlines, with full time contracts and sensible selection processes.

The GA operators will in turn have to bolster Ts&Cs.

What goes around.....

ster
15th Nov 2014, 07:04
I have a friend who left just weeks ago to go to Logan air. They enjoyed the past two years there self employed and averaged £1800 net a month but was away from home far too much for me. They got 700 hrs and had been offered command where the money goes up. Go for it

Superpilot
15th Nov 2014, 07:28
That last comment is unbelievably out of touch. What are you basing this on? There are still hundreds if not thousands of modular fATPL guys out there ready and willing to be exploited by "opportunities" like this because they can't afford to or won't pay for whatever is required to get them employment with an airline.

It's a shame that this GA opportunity doesn't cover the basic essentials but it's about survival of the fittest in an industry which is hardly profitable at the best of times (GA). For locals, a no brainer despite the ex military mentality displayed by the chief.

Nowayjose
15th Nov 2014, 08:59
Because I, and a large proportion of the people I trained with/ worked with have got their first job in the last 8-10 months.
I'm not talking about 200 hr guys, but people like myself, who have instructed, para dropped, air taxied and worked their way through GA are now getting multi crew jobs after years and years looking.
All of my GA jobs however have had reasonable selection processes and reasonable terms and conditions ( I have never paid for a checkride, or had a massive bond where one was not needed!) I've turned down 4 MEP jobs/ interviews in the last 18 months, as they were taking the p*ss. Dea included.

If you have more than the basic couple of hundred hours, things are improving compared to the last 6 years.

Don't just jump on the first thing that comes along if it's not right.

lanef300
18th Nov 2014, 12:08
The tests are quite something...
You'll get 3 interviews, the people are pretty nice and they are mostly interested in your attitude and behaviour.

Quite military-based/biased.

The written tests are divided between psychometric tests and a da-42 questionnaire.

The psychometrict tests are DIRECTLY lifted from that website:
Aptitude Test Examples | Practice Aptitude Tests | Free Psychometric Test | Personality Tests | Verbal Reasoning (http://www.psychometric-success.com/downloads/download-practice-tests.htm)

They used them verbatim, and just changed the logo...

Now the da-42 test...Honestly we were told to review the AFM.
If you do that, I guess you'll review speeds, and the usual things like limitations, right...Well...

Here is the test they give you. Same as before, they simply copied it from the source, and they changed the name to DEA (but did not care to correct the spelling...).
Even the first sentence: Here is our test; you may find it strikingly similar to tests that you may sit elsewhere!

http://www.papa-bravo.com/showdoc.php?org_id=608&doc_id=237

I actually wondered if the whole test was not a joke, or to see if we would not all collaborate to answer it...

Moorzy0201
18th Nov 2014, 14:56
Hey,

Thanks everyone for the feedback it was a lot of help.

Does anyone know anything about the 'gap analysis' flight? I.e: what it exactly it entails?

Any info on this would be a great help!

JB007
14th Feb 2015, 02:24
Goodness me! I read threads like this and just think, who on earth do DEA think they are! There is a lot of tosh in recruitment but for an MEP, this takes the biscuit! Talk about "playing" at it!

My first B757 job for a major UK airline, was a 1 hour 30 minute chat, about everything! They got the right people! DEA need to get the next DA-42 going to planet earth!

Well, good luck to all, it's tough at all ends of this industry.

PPRuNeUser0173
14th Feb 2015, 06:11
This is a joke isn't it? Well certainly the "outfit" is and I am not sure how good this would look on a CV for future employment for something more sensible. I know two guys that have flown for them and both said it was a "never to be repeated experience" but meant in a negative way. I really feel sorry for you guys if you have to stoop so low!