PDA

View Full Version : Biannual flight test

Paully617
9th Nov 2014, 16:55
Hi all,
I recently had my Sep and TMG BI ANNUAL check flight with my Cfi which was all good. He and I are unsure on a few things.
Do I need to submit an SRB1119B for each part and do I need to make any payments to the CAA?

Ex Oggie
9th Nov 2014, 17:00
Your post is somewhat ambiguous with a mixture of FAA and EASA/CAA speak.

What licence do you have, and was this a revalidation or renewal?

XO

Paully617
9th Nov 2014, 17:04
Sorry, I have a new style CAA part fcl license in the pointless blue wallet!
I have been flying the TMG FOR 2 years now and had a ppl for 4 years. Last time I sent all my paperwork off to the CAA as I needed the TMG rating putting on.

Ex Oggie
9th Nov 2014, 17:20
Okay, pretty straightforward. I will assume you have met all the requirements to revalidate by experience, and TMG/SEP are on the front of your licence.

Examiner signs your licence, copy of SRG1119E to the Belgrano and no fee.

The SRG1119B is only required when licencing action is required by the CAA.

XO

TiltedTomato
10th Nov 2014, 00:08
Thank you Ex Oggie,

I'm dealing with the same thing about an SEP and you're confirming what I thought. Just a question though:

Where do you find in the regulations (CAP 804, Part-FCL, AMC or GM...?) that you need to fill SRG1119E and send it to the CAA? Just wondering what the "legal" basis is. Not a big issue for that matter but just interested to know how you're supposed to know you need to file this form. I accidentally found it via Google.

Ex Oggie
10th Nov 2014, 08:30
Ignoring the obvious errors, the new version of the FEH is a useful reference, page 31. There are also some notes on the form itself.

Flight Examiners Handbook: Flight Examiners' Handbook (Aeroplanes & Helicopters) 2014 | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5203)

XO

Level Attitude
10th Nov 2014, 15:45
Where do you find in the regulations (CAP 804, Part-FCL, AMC or GM...?) that you need to fill SRG1119E and send it to the CAA? Just wondering what the "legal" basis is.The legal basis is Part-FCL:
FCL.015 Application and issue of licences, ratings and certificates
(a) An application for the issue, revalidation or renewal of pilot licences and associated ratings and certificates shall be submitted to the competent authority in a form and manner established by this authority....

(b) Any limitation or extension of the privileges granted by a licence, rating or certificate shall be endorsed in the licence or certificate by the competent authority.The administration of Licensing is devolved to the Competent Authority. Therefore any requirements will (or should) be promulgated by the Authority.
The UK CAA website is a good place to start, but there are also CAA publications (such as the FEH as mentioned by Ex Oggie) that also contain the requirements.

- Pilots' ought to know the procedures for maintaining the qualifications they hold but, given all the changes, it is understandable if they do not (especially for a first Revalidation or Renewal).
- Instructors should know the procedures so that they can advise pilots
- Examiners must know the procedures as it is their remit.
just interested to know how you're supposed to know you need to file this formIf nothing else, ask an Examiner - In the UK, as well as conducting Tests, they are the CAA's 'administrative field agents'.
(One reason I am not against their charging a small amount for SEP Revalidation by Experience if they so wish)

TheOddOne
10th Nov 2014, 18:38
Putting my pedant's hat on...

Biannual means twice a year.

I think the word the OP is looking for is BIENNIAL, which means every two years.

Mind you, plenty of places require a '6 month check' so maybe that would count as a 'biannual flight test'.

Hat, coat, leaving now.

TOO

TiltedTomato
10th Nov 2014, 22:43
Thank you Level Attitude!

Another thing: Can somebody confirm to me that an EASA FE (without a UK CAA-issued licence) can endorse my UK CAA-issued CPL? It seems to be the case as Form SRG 1119E contains the following line to be filled by the FE:

Competent Authority issuing Examiners Certificate: ....................

But does the FE has to have done the examiner briefing issued by the UK CAA?

Whopity
11th Nov 2014, 08:01
But does the FE has to have done the examiner briefing issued by the UK CAA?
The Examiner must now comply with the relevant entry in the EASA Examiner Differences Document (http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/Examiner%20Differences%20Document_version_04_2014.pdf)

I think the word the OP is looking for is BIENNIAL, which means every two years.
There is no BIENNIAL or BIANNUAL requirement! If revalidating a SEP/TMG Class rating by experience:(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— a training flight of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane

It could be almost 36 months between such flights if it was at the beginning of the last 12 months in the first case and the end of it in the second! The CAA has also published differences to the above.