PDA

View Full Version : Heads up, DFM stolen from The Yorkshire Museum

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 17:44
Along with other medals, just in case they surface, see

Gallantry award for Harry Potter actor among medals stolen from North Yorkshire museum (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11582095.Gallantry_award_for_Harry_Potter_actor_among_medals _stolen_from_North_Yorkshire_museum/?ref=fbshr)

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2014, 21:48
Sad news, but the DFM, unlike the other medals in the group, is named with the recipient's details on the rim, and will be instantly recognisable should it ever come on the market. The hope is the scrote who stole them puts them on ebay where they will be easy to spot. Worst case scenario is that it will go in the scrap silver, where it will net the thief around a tenner!

Small point, shame they described the DFM as a circular medal, as it is of course oval.

Danny42C
6th Nov 2014, 23:00
And the stripes on the ribbon are violet (not blue) and white (would think that the Northern Echo might have looked it up).

(And TTN's point above about the shape !)

D,

MPN11
7th Nov 2014, 08:39
and Jimmy Gardner engraved on the side

One would expect a more formal style of address ... or is this just more Media inaccuracy?

Whichever, the theft is another example of people who know nothing and care even less. And I doubt any subsequent sentence would compensate the family [or indeed the PPRuNe community] for the outrage.

pohm1
7th Nov 2014, 12:00
Maybe it was his name?

Danny42C
7th Nov 2014, 12:48
My Father's Long Service and Good Conduct medal, and my Grandfather's India General Service Medal, are engraved round the edge with number, rank and name.

D.

melmothtw
7th Nov 2014, 13:20
And the stripes on the ribbon are violet (not blue) and white (would think that the Northern Echo might have looked it up).

... or is this just more Media inaccuracy?

Violet instead of blue? Can't the media get anything right?

Old-Duffer
7th Nov 2014, 13:46
Sgt Edward Charles James GARDNER 1891821

Old Duffer