PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shoes

xxRED BARONxx
6th Nov 2014, 05:28
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good pair of shoes for flying in that would have be suitable for outback conditions as well as city flying?

I've been told R.M.Williams are really durable and will last years on end but they are quite expensive (around 400-500$... there are factory seconds but even still they are around 250-300$) and although I do want a pair of shoes that will last a while up in the air about getting a pair and being financially crippled for the rest of the month.

Anyone recommend anything? Is it worth forking out the $$ for a pair that will last years on end?

Thanks in advance!

OK4Wire
6th Nov 2014, 05:35
You won't go wrong with the RMs.

I have just had the soles and elastics replaced after 20 years.

$400/20 = $1.67 per month. I know it's a big outlay initially, but you will definitely spend more overall if you buy cheap.

Dangly Bits
6th Nov 2014, 05:53
RM Williams with the rubber sole. Perfect.

Goat Whisperer
6th Nov 2014, 06:02
RM Williams boots are available for substantially less than that price at country outfitter-type shops. That's just the "city" price.

If you can stretch to a pair they're good and will outlast the charter company you're working for and most of the relationships you'll experience along the way.

evilducky
6th Nov 2014, 06:20
RMs all the way. I'd had my black pair for a few years, loved them so much I bought a brown pair as well. Worth every cent. I'm yet to meet someone who regrets buying theirs.

Oh and it's Australian.

Mail-man
6th Nov 2014, 06:28
50.1% Australian.

I've no doubt they're great boots but we're pilots, not bushmen.... Last I checked the rudders weren't wearing out my shoes.

NIK320
6th Nov 2014, 06:29
only 1 re-sole in 20 years??
I can only get 1 year out of a rubber sole on mine, must tread heavy in them then. Its a rough week when they are in the shop.

Bankrupt84
6th Nov 2014, 06:53
Get the RMs. I went the cheap route. Big mistake.
Pay cheap, pay twice. Or in my case yearly.

Captain Dart
6th Nov 2014, 06:55
Have worn RMs for years and they are very comfy but I fly in tropical conditions a lot and they can get rather hot and sweaty due to the elastic, the tight fit and their not 'breathing'.

Because of that I have occasional issues with athlete's foot but all in all the pros outweigh the cons.

And I just use the rudders as footrests, anyhow.

seneca208
6th Nov 2014, 07:11
Another plug for RMs. I cringed at the initial outlay cost, but after wearing would never buy anything else. Especially great for wet season flying- there's nothing worse than getting in the plane with wet feet.

compressor stall
6th Nov 2014, 07:16
My RMs are 20 years old and still going strong after a few rubber resoles.

triadic
6th Nov 2014, 07:53
RM's are the go. I have two pair (black & brown) and they are like a second skin. Re soled once each in about 10 years. :ok::ok:

Only down side, is they are ok in the hot sand, but not much good in snow!!:cool:

Flying Bear
6th Nov 2014, 08:15
I have set a fairly strict uniform policy for the pilots in my Company and although we are not prescriptive with footwear, we strongly encourage the purchase of RMs, for all the reasons above...

However, we approached RM Williams as a company and have set up a deal with them where our pilots can get boots and belts from them at a corporate rate - which works out at about half price of what you'll get them in shops.

Make sure you get the airport friendly ones with the oil resistant non-slip sole!

Lobby your CP, CEO or whoever would be most responsible in your company to do likewise.

My RMs are like second feet to me now, given the amount of time I spend in them...

emeritus
6th Nov 2014, 08:46
As I see it now after reading all the previous posters views there's only
two choices......black RMs or ..brown RMs!!

I always chose brown.

Emeritus :ok:

Horatio Leafblower
6th Nov 2014, 08:54
I send my RMs back to the factory for a SIDs inspection every 3-4 years - they come back better than new (already molded to my feet) for $180 or so.

I have built up a 3-pair rotation, it works pretty well.

Love Flying Bear's suggestion of the direct deal with the factory... 5 Percy St will be getting a call from me tomorrow.

I also like his idea of having a paint brush in the armrest of every aeroplane. I am yet to work out what its for tho :8

Flying Bear
6th Nov 2014, 09:18
You can use it to clean the dust out from the welts of your boots (like we did in the Army) or to clean the dust off your instrument panel, engine control pedestal, etc.

Uses of the shaving / paint brush in the cockpit are virtually infinite!!

TwoHundred
6th Nov 2014, 09:24
Rossi dress boots. $120, last about 5yrs before the sole wears out. I'm on my 3rd pair. Black or brown, keep them coated in Dubbin especially in the wet season. No problems wearing them in the tropics, feet breathe better than any lace up. Made in Adelaide.

Kelly Slater
6th Nov 2014, 09:47
Airflex, never take your shoes off to go through security. A pair should last a year or two and they are generally available at a big discount from Harbour Town type outlets. They are leather and comfortable and when compared to the price of RMs, they are disposable. Oil resistant non-slip soles make them tax deductable but then any shoes can fit that description for the purposes of tax.

redsnail
6th Nov 2014, 10:12
Another plug for RM Williams. :ok: Got a few crew wearing them here in Europe now. :ok: They're good for 9-10 months of the year but a bit slippery on an icy Moscow ramp. :ooh:

They're great in the hotter environs, look good, easy to put on when the alarm goes at 2am :\ but even though they can throw off the effects of a de-icing fluid covered ramp and still look good, they're just a bit slippery (smooth soles).

aileron_69
6th Nov 2014, 10:44
I have a pair of Thorogood Police boots. I dont like slip ons cos the they slop about on my feet too much. These are good, comfy as a pair of sneakers, lace ups with a side zip to get on and off easily, and they are waterproof if you end up in muddy conditions which invariably we all do from time to time. About $85-95 a pair from the US. I think whatever is most comfy for the individual is going to be the go of course. The RMs arent too flash in cold weather by all accounts.
https://www.xlfeet.com/Thorogood-6-Waterproof-Side-Zip-Non-Safety-Toe-p/834-6218.htm

speedjet
6th Nov 2014, 10:45
I have previously found on Ebay/Gumtree unwanted RMWilliams Giftcards at cheap prices. Makes the boots a reasonable price. Also RMWilliams stores like those at Harbourtown are definitely cheaper than those at a Shopping Centre (Westfields)

717tech
6th Nov 2014, 10:54
RM Williams :ok:

manymak
6th Nov 2014, 11:38
The RM Factory shop in Adelaide often have seconds available. Mainly with the tiniest imperfection or scratch on the leather. Call to see if they have your size. Price around $200.

PPRuNeUser0184
6th Nov 2014, 17:02
RMs are without doubt the most overrated boots/shoes I have ever owned. I took the bait unfortunately and had problems from day 1. Uncomfortable and in my experience poor quality (had to have to sole replaced twice because it was peeling back at the toe). The $100 Juluiis Marlows that I purchased after finally throwing the RMs in the shed have been much more comfortable and are still going strong after 2 years.

Gemini Twin
6th Nov 2014, 17:13
Shoes? They said nothing about shoes!

Stationair8
6th Nov 2014, 20:27
Try Mongrel boots, non slip sole and also oil/fuel proof sole.

About $100.00 and last about 18 months.

I have also worn Blundstone's for many years, but since they went off shore their product is certainly not up to the standard anymore!

Also had a pair of Redback boots at one stage which were pretty good as well, but I think their gone out of business.

Never used RM products as my dainty little extra wide size 12 hoof don't fit in them.

peterc005
6th Nov 2014, 22:46
Doc Martins are the go.

They look like shoes when standing, are oil/petrol resistant, wear well and you can wear then out to watch a punk rock band.

Homesick-Angel
6th Nov 2014, 23:02
Forget about all the practical rubbish above.

RMs will get you so much attention from the opposite sex that you'll be wanting to wear blundstones for a rest..

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Nov 2014, 23:42
I have worn RMs for 40+ years. I used to wear their kid leather jodpur boots when I was a student. They cost me a weeks wages ($26) from Xmas vacation tractor driving but worth it - the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn.

Fast-forward to 2014 and Williams only make kid leather boots as a custom order - cost way less than a week wages - but I can't justify $1000 for boots! :{

So I have been wearing RM Stock Agent top boots for the past 20 yrs!

Whatever boots you wear, make sure they are comfortable - you never know when you might have to take a long walk in them!

Dr :8

Horatio Leafblower
7th Nov 2014, 01:11
I have done a bit of (unplanned) walking in the RMs. They aren't hiking boots and feet have ached for days afterwards :uhoh:

Defenestrator
7th Nov 2014, 01:18
My 5 cents......RM's all the way. However, RM's will only last you as long as you're prepared to look after them. They need to be polished regularly (twice a week at least). Use RM polish or Kiwi (not Nugget brand, it's crap). I've had 3 black pair in 25 yrs (just bought the 3rd pair) and I've lost count of the brown ones. Get the leather sole yearling craftsman. Unless you have a very narrow foot you'll need a 'H' fitting. And find a cobbler and have him put an anti slip strip on the bottom to save wear on the sole. Tarmac is really tough on them. While you're there get him to put a small metal strip underneath the toe. This keeps the toe shape. About every 3-4 years get them re-soled. This will restore completely the all over shape of the boot. The synthetic sole can't be replaced though it'll never wear out. Problem with the synthetic sole is the boots will eventually lose their shape a little and to restore it they have to be re-soled. But the synthetic sole can't be replaced. If you wear out the rubber on the heel get it replaced before you wear out the foundation of the heel. If you wear into that they're throw away.

This is where I bought my last pair. Cheapest I could find. http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/

I love my RM's. :ok:

Super Cecil
7th Nov 2014, 02:18
If wearing RM's some jodhpurs would set them off nicely. The big sticky out ones like they used to wear in the US mail aircraft. Some of you blokes and blokettes could really get your pilot strut going with those on. Maybe some spurs to sit your feet up a bit so you can ride the brakes more? :8

Pilots shoes, you fellas are kidding? What next Pilot belt? Pilot underpants? Special pilot pen to go in your Pilot jacket in the Pilot pen pocket on your pilot sleeve? :rolleyes:

zac21
7th Nov 2014, 02:35
True, RM's are nice boots, have a couple of pairs for many years, but most certainly not for walking any distance.
Now wearing "Mongrel Boots" for flying, good looking 'riding boots',,,, extremely comfortable, light and non slip soles, guess I'm on the 4th pair in 6 years.:ok:

aileron_69
7th Nov 2014, 03:27
Super Cecil, funny you should mention that, we had this discussion at work today. The general consensus seemed to be that to be a "real" (read: try hard) pilot, you need RM Williams boots, Serengeti Sunnies, a Leatherman, and it used to be a David Clarke headset, although now all the cool kids seem to have a Bose. Im not sure what the in thing in flight bags is, although there does seem to be a rather large overcompensation thing going on with the size of them in some cases. :E

Car RAMROD
7th Nov 2014, 06:42
Done work on plenty of dirt, rock, grass, mud, boggy, waterlogged etc aprons and strips.

Used Blundstone and Steel Blue boots. Oil and fuel etc resistant, quite waterproof and very grippy. Tax deductable too being non-slip safety sole.

I often work in spots where "nice" shoes will get destroyed. The above are practical, and comfortable enough. Not going to run a marathon in them, but a 12 hour day in them doesn't hurt my feet.

Capt Fathom
7th Nov 2014, 07:48
A 2 page thread on what shoes to wear? A very quiet week here on Pprune. :hmm:

sms777
7th Nov 2014, 08:36
Nobody mentioned Colorados yet. Super soft leather, well cushoned rubber sole, you can even walk in them unlike in the over rated RM's.

drpixie
7th Nov 2014, 08:46
No no no no no :ugh: You're all talking about footwear for feet. The original question was about "pilot shoes".

Pilot shoes are not regular shoes. Pilot shoes have 3 time zones, a stop watch, and a reset-able seconds hand. Pilot shoes are stainless steel and carbon fibre, and are always really chunky - too chunky to fit under your pilot trousers. Pilot shoes are specially designed by a team of artisan craftsmen (or women) using decades of tradition and extraordinarily expensive rare materials. Pilot shoes have been tested by NASA and gone to the moon. Pilot shoes cost more than any pilot I know earns in several months, but of course, price is no object and if you have to ask, you can't afford pilot shoes.

Your best pilot shoes will coordinate with your pilot watch. They will have glow-in-the-dark soles to match the glow-in-the-dark hands of your pilot watch.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTI5WDU1MA==/z/X-UAAOxyf1dTJNaA/$_35.JPG

gerry111
7th Nov 2014, 09:31
Are Pilot shoes sold by Pilot shops? :8

haughtney1
7th Nov 2014, 09:44
Best pilot shoes? My current Italian leather soled slip-on loafers. Sturdy enough to do a walk around in, but just purrrrrrrrfect to swish through the terminal with our bevy of beauties in trail.......:E:ok::8

xxilim
7th Nov 2014, 10:43
If you go the RM route... get them fitted correctly, a shoe Isn't just a shoe I guess... for 400 bucks make sure the shop assistant knows what they're doing.

I'm a twelve and that's all I've ever shouted, never knew leather stretched so much... I love mine, but after a good days wear they do some serious shape shifting, they feel one size to big.

Desert Flower
7th Nov 2014, 11:33
Never used RM products as my dainty little extra wide size 12 hoof don't fit in them.

Golders of Roma (Qld) claim to fit boots to feet. :ok:

DF.

Toruk Macto
7th Nov 2014, 12:31
Bought RM's about 3 years ago and probable won't use anything else . Great for overnights , saves space in overnight bag .

Less Hair
7th Nov 2014, 12:58
Chippewa has some both well made and rugged pilot boots as well:
8" MEN'S EPS LACE/ZIP BOOT (http://www.chippewaboots.com/footwear/safety/road/20242)

or these better known ones:
http://haynesandcann.weebly.com/store/p4/Haynes_%26_Cann_Classic_1965_Boot_Without_Zips_%28%C2%A3150% 29.html

Virtually There
8th Nov 2014, 02:49
Doc Martins are the go.

They look like shoes when standing, are oil/petrol resistant, wear well and you can wear then out to watch a punk rock band.
I second this. Dr Martens are comfortable, air-cushioned, hard-wearing and have chemical-proof, non-slip soles. Good value, too.

Howard Hughes
8th Nov 2014, 03:16
What's all this talk of re-soling?

I bought a pair of Blundestones in 1993 (the good old plastic soled ones, not the rubber ones they have now). Wore them for ten years straight in the NT, flying, digging ditches you name it. Never had to have them re-soled and still wear them mowing the lawns now!

Best forty five bucks I ever spent! :ok:

sms777
8th Nov 2014, 07:39
C'mon Howard, the thread is about pilot's shoes not gumboots.:E

morno
8th Nov 2014, 11:20
A pair of RM's that are custom made, you will not get a comfier boot (sorry, pilot shoe).

I've got 2 pair's of RM's, black pair and brown pair. The brown pair were my originals, just bought off the shelf. They go alright and I've had them for 7 years now and only 1 re-sole.

My black pair though, I had custom fitted when the store I went to didn't have the size I wanted. So they took all my measurements down, the specifics of what style and sole I wanted, and then after a few weeks, the best boot's (sorry, pilot shoes) I've ever owned turned up, :E.

They're about 5 years old now and they've had 1 re-sole. Did me well when I was out bush trundling around in aeromed. Continue to do me well now in my current motorplane job.

morno

bodybag
8th Nov 2014, 12:27
This particular thread highlights the type of pilot that lives for PPRuNe.. What an absolute joke. If you've got money to burn and you feel the need to fit in and look the part.. get RM's.
It is footwear for christs sake. There are so many brands of shoes/boots out there that are as good or superior to RM's for a better price. It's a big world out there!
This is very general but.. In my experience there is one thing that is common to every fresh faced CPL that presented on my dusty doorstep wearing RM Williams boots.. they all offered to fly for free.
Hush Puppies are comfortable.

pohm1
8th Nov 2014, 15:52
If you've got money to burn

The message that's coming across is if you've got money to burn, then don't buy RMs.

My first pair lasted 13 years with only one trip to the cobbler, and now I have a brown pair and a black pair. Finest boot you'll ever wear.

P1

HarleyD
9th Nov 2014, 02:07
Mongrels zip side ankle boots.

Won't come off during bailout/ canopy deployment

Nice and warm at altitude

Comfy cushion sole

No idea what they cost, my employer provides them.

They aren't specifically made for pilots like RM's obviously are, but I have found them durable and comfortable. And inexpensive.

I am sure there are many other shoes and boots that work very well. I had a pair of KMart elastic sided boots that were comfortable and lasted over 5 years, $39.99.

With the money saved I bought a pair of Propet walking shoes that I use when attending aviation events around the world. Very Light weight super comfortable, don't set off metal detectors, and guaranteed for 1000 miles of walking, but, hey they're just shoes FFS, not a frigging lifestyle.

What next,

Best underwear/briefs........ooh ooh I know....Haynes jockey style from Walmart, come in packets of 6, reversible and can be turned inside out for extended deployments so 4 days per pair between resoles, (that's R soles I think) plenty of ballroom, have excellent fart filtering capability and available in all the favourite RM wearing pilot colours, puce, violet, apricot........

Shoot me now!

HD

Howard Hughes
9th Nov 2014, 08:55
C'mon Howard, the thread is about pilot's shoes not gumboots.
Sorry mate, thread drift...:p

What next,

Best underwear/briefs........
Bonds mate, been wearin them for 40+ years, not the same pair of course! ;)

Adsie
9th Nov 2014, 08:59
Ariat work boots - cannot go wrong

Metro man
9th Nov 2014, 11:54
Gucci driving shoes, with the dimples extending back up the heel to prevent your feet from slipping backwards. Available in various colours and exotic leathers such as crocodile. Or go for the plain loafers which will go equally well with jeans or formal evening wear.;)

http://www.tobesave.net/pic/Gucci-Driver-Shoes-Black-Embossed-Interlocking-G-Detail-Leather-With-Horsebit-Hardware-Mens-Moccasin-Loafers---8-77554.jpg

hillbillybob
9th Nov 2014, 12:58
Blundstones. CAD $180.00 before tax

as a tasmanian I just can't bring myself to buy them after they shipped the manufacturing to SE Asia

uncleonion
10th Nov 2014, 03:58
As a charter pilot I only wear plastic bags on my feet because it's all I can afford. Six shillings to a bag they say. Thankyou muchly I say, etc.

Jamair
10th Nov 2014, 07:45
Mongrel boots, hi-top lace-ups with side zipper. Problem with slip-ons (like RMs) is that they also slip-off. Comfortable, hard wearing, non-spark soles.

Captain Nomad
10th Nov 2014, 11:01
Looks like they have been remodelled slightly since I bought my last pair but these Howlers are tough as nuts, comfortable, waterproof and each pair has lasted me probably close to 4 years of rough daily use. Come up nice with a quick swipe of dubbin. You can buy for under a hundred bucks at most work wear type shops - can't go wrong!

Kikarse Workwear (http://www.kikarse.com/shop/products/show/id/43)

kGann
10th Nov 2014, 11:29
"I settle once more into the right-hand seat, concerned lest there be a repetition of the crazy entanglement witnessed by McCabe. Therefore I am quite ready when I hear Ross enter the narrow passageway behind me. I turn to watch him hang up his coat in so precise and careful a manner it is easy to understand how his other articles of apparel present such an immaculate picture. His heavily starched shirt fits his powerful torso as if it was tailored by a master. The crease in his pants is knife sharp. His black ankle boots, of the type preferred by most line pilots, match the sheen of his cap-bill.

It is pleasant to think that now my ninety-day probation is safely past and as a consequence I might reasonably invest in a pair of jodhpur boots like Ross’, and so keep my ankles warm during the coming winter. With concentration I might also acquire that certain swagger which must go with the wearing of such boots. I will break them in carefully since they are extremely expensive for a co-pilot’s purse, and I will try to keep them shined as well as Ross’."

Attributed to Ernest k. Gann, "Fate is the Hunter"

(But no mention of socks)

gerry111
10th Nov 2014, 13:03
What about the good ol' 'T Boots'? Steel capped leather shoes.

www.tboots.com.au (http://www.tboots.com.au)

Ramjet555
11th Nov 2014, 04:04
I recall wearing my RM Williams on my first flying job in North America and they were not received well at all. Especially by females.

If you want to impress the Jilleroos and Jackaroos, then wear your R.M. Williams. If you had to suddenly walk for your survival, they might dramatically lessen your walking distance.

I'd suggest that Pilots take a look at the Costco Catalog and order on line some of the most fashionable work shoes that look professional and not like a cow boy.

Now, I can tell you that on one FAA ride I did, the inspector work Cowboy boots with spurs and a 10 gallon hat.

You could always go for the US Airforce flight boots on Ebay, and be right at home when you chug down a beer as you step out of the cockpit.

Back Pressure
11th Nov 2014, 11:01
I'm so glad that you folks have the benefit of my experience and wisdom in this most important of topics..................................

Horatio Leafblower
11th Nov 2014, 12:23
The Sporty's Catalogue is full of Justin's boots as I recall, which will put to shame anything offered by RMs and rivall the average Ariat boots worn by most ringers I know. :hmm:

Stanwell
11th Nov 2014, 14:07
As any OZ bushie knows, you have TWO pairs of RMs - one for goin' to town and the other for workin' in.

Leave both of those on the verandah and wear some of the more sensible suggestions on here.

Horses for courses, I think is the expression.

geeup
11th Nov 2014, 22:45
My vote is RMs both in and out of the cockpit :ok:

Pinky the pilot
11th Nov 2014, 23:30
I recall wearing my RM Williams on my first flying job in North America and they were not received well at all. Especially by females.

'Not well received at all.' ????

Care to give us the story Ramjet 555?

International Trader
11th Nov 2014, 23:49
What a load of tosh this whole thread has been.

The young fellow is just starting out ,I presume ,and asked advice about SHOES . Not BOOTS.

Personally, I wonder if a person who cannot make up his mind about shoes should hold a pilots licence but, I will leave that decision to the powers that be.

When I started out, I didn't have money for decent shoes so, I remember wearing my old school shoes . Black and clean.

Later when I had money, I bought better . Not RM boots, decent shoes!

Good shoes are available , some made to measure for less than RMs ,most are far more stylish and at least as good if not better in quality.

After all, the Europeans have been making quality shoes ( and boots) since at least 300 years before the great RM was even born!

I just don't understand the fixation with these boots.

They are about as fashionable as a Gladstone bag and have the workmanship similar to that on a stock saddle.

Good if you expect to step in cow dung or mud but, I don't recall seeing any of that on my last walk around at the airport nor anywhere in the terminal or walking down George St.

However,I do read a lot of Bullsh1t in this thread.

Pilots wore oversized boots up until about 70 years ago when they had liners to protect from the cold and you wanted something that would protect from the high possibility of fire ( because people were shooting at you) , and you would want them to slip off if you landed in the drink.

I can't recall ever having had to "hit the silk", what about you?

RM Williams culture is (obviously) popular with country people and I am sure that, even today, no self respecting country gent from ' out the back of Roma ' would go to 'town' or court the local ' Jilleroo' without his RMs and a pair of 'moleskins'.
They don't still wear moleskins in public , do they?

Foot odour would be a problem in the summer wouldn't it or, does the cow odour cover that up as well as everything else?

In the real world , most pilots come from the city and live in modern times.

Buy a decent pair of SHOES , keep them clean ( do the young know what shoe polish is used for ?) and to a point , the more you pay, the better the shoes will be.

However, remember that a scuffed and dirty $2000 shoe looks just as bad as a scuffed and dirty $60 shoe or a scuffed RM.

apache
12th Nov 2014, 00:05
I bought a pair of Colorado boots about 11 years ago. They were only $120 back then, and I have seen them still for sale at about $150-170 depending on whether they are on sale or not.
They have been comfortable, easy to slip on and off, for security checks, DONT smell( although, right from day one, I put some odor eaters in them!).
And yes.... They are boots! Great for doing walk arounds in tropical cyclones, on muddy tarmacs or on snow covered aprons.

tio540
12th Nov 2014, 00:18
Thank you International Trader for bringing some sense into the discussion. I agree, buy a pair of comfortable shoes, and keep them clean. They stay cooler, and you can throw them out each year.

The RM boots I have seen either squeak when you walk, or require resoling after only 12 months walking on the apron, sometimes earlier. All that for $400.

Save your money and buy houses and land, then you only need thongs to walk on your 100 acres beachfront property, because you retired at 50.

International Trader
12th Nov 2014, 00:42
I don't doubt the quality , comfort nor the 'value for money' of your boots but, I don't recall the last tropical flood or snow storm building the contamination up anywhere near my ankles, be it in Sydney or anywhere else.

I could think of a few management types who would have a pilot's head if they saw a pair of hiking boots ( muddy or otherwise) hanging out from the trouser legs of a uniform.

I would not walk into any of my past corporate offices wearing hiking boots in or out of uniform.

Really, when was the last Tropical storm, where was the muddy tarmac ( a sealed surface) or snow fall that necessitated hiking boots to keep you dry?

Boots such as yours may be practical in some remote aviation operations and if it is your personal choice, good luck to you.

I applaud your individuality .

For the majority?

International Trader
12th Nov 2014, 00:46
tio 540

Your are obviously too smart to be a pilot.

Best financial advice that I have ever heard and, it is free!

Pity that most will do the opposite of what you suggest.

aileron_69
12th Nov 2014, 01:01
How about this: buy the footwear applicable to your operation. If you are an ag pilot you will most likely want work boots. If you are an airline pilot you will most likely want shiny Black shoes, and if you are some kind of Arctic supply pilot then Arctic boots are going to be the go. And of course if you are a jockey then RM Williams riding boots should do the trick.

the_rookie
12th Nov 2014, 04:02
I've got 500 in my account, can you point me in direction of said house and land

apache
12th Nov 2014, 06:09
Really, when was the last Tropical storm, where was the muddy tarmac ( a sealed surface) or snow fall that necessitated hiking boots to keep you dry?

Boots such as yours may be practical in some remote aviation operations and if it is your personal choice, good luck to you.

Snow..... London, New York, Vancouver.....

Tropical cyclones..... Cairns, Darwin, anywhere in the tropics, including Hong Kong, Denpasar......

Muddy..... Could be anywhere!

zip69
12th Nov 2014, 07:21
For fark sake 4 pages on this ****e!:ugh:

What's with the debate On RM's. Everyone has a different shape foot so different shoes or boots will suit different people.

Now for a real question, What is the best pilots undies out there? I operate from very cold to very hot temperatures and from humid to dry conditions. Any advice would be much appreciated :O:O

Tidbinbilla
12th Nov 2014, 07:34
May I suggest Huggies?

Or if you're more senior, Depends.