PDA

View Full Version : BA expat pilots?

gonzalous
4th Nov 2014, 07:58
not sure if this is the right category or not but anyway.

i live in australia and considering a move overseas to try and work for BA or emirates maybe? i was just wondering if anyone knows if there are many non-british pilots working for BA and how difficult it is to get employed as an expat at BA.

also i beleive i can get a uk passport because my father was born in the UK. but if anyone has any info on this side of things thatd be great

:)

Chris the Robot
4th Nov 2014, 12:05
If you can obtain UK citizenship then I would imagine you could apply for BA since so long as you have a right to work in the UK (which I believe now applies to most, if not all, EU nationals) they'll let you apply. I reckon you could also apply for any other operator in the UK or Europe (so long as you meet requirements such as experience and where applicable language fluency). I don't think they pay travel costs though so the interview process might be a bit expensive.

I'm aware that in Australia it is possible to move to an airline job from the GA sector, the other posters on here have indicated that is becoming increasingly difficult in the UK, though I believe that it may be easier in Scotland.

If you state your approximate experience/types flown I imagine folks will be able to get you a much better answer.

finncapt
4th Nov 2014, 12:16
In BA I flew with several Aussies (many ex Ansett/TAA? capts who lost their jobs after a big strike? some years ago).

There are several EU nationals (I've flown with at least two Dutch, a Belgian and I know of one Finn who works for BA - there are others) and traditionally there were quite a few people from the Empire (ah Commonwealth now!!).

The EU may have made the employment of non-EU citizens more problematic.

redsnail
4th Nov 2014, 14:53
Getting the passport is pretty simple.
When I did it, it meant a trip to the British High Commission in Canberra with some money, my birth certificate, my parent's wedding certificate and my father's birth certificate. That part was easy.

To fly for BA, wow, there's a challenge. They are recruiting at the moment but competition is fierce.

Do you hold a licence?
Either way, you'll need an EASA one which is so much fun to get.. :ugh:

Sadly the market in Europe is skewed towards cadets/MPL folks saddled with horrendous debt (£110,000) rather than experienced pilots. BA is an exception.