PDA

View Full Version : CASA Overseas “Technical Wine Tasting” Back on the Agenda

Dick Smith
3rd Nov 2014, 22:52
When I became Chairman of CAA back in the ‘nineties, I was able to stop the complete misallocation of resources where CAA staff would head overseas to approve a runway for Qantas to take off from or approve the 747 so it would meet Australia’s highest aviation certification standards. I stopped all this and safety wasn’t affected at all.

I now understand “technical wine tastings” are coming in again. For example, I have heard that CASA forced one of the airlines to pay for CASA inspectors to go to Singapore to approve the simulators – over $200,000 was the cost. Has anyone heard of this? Why is such waste allowed?

Oktas8
3rd Nov 2014, 23:20
Because govt depts will always expand, never contract until funding is cut and personnel numbers reduce.

Because no official will be punished for doing one inspection too many except in a market-oriented organisation.

Because empire-building is a normal human impulse but may be held in check by market forces.

Because the way we do it is always better than the way they do it unless limited cashflow forces us to accept grim reality.

But somehow Dick I suspect you've forgotten more than I've ever known about market forces & govt depts, and that was a rhetorical question!

Berealgetreal
4th Nov 2014, 00:47
As long as everyone but the airlines are making money and enjoying themselves then all is well.

Aerozepplin
4th Nov 2014, 01:03
The trips to ICAO for literal wine tasting always confused me. Although I wouldn't turn down a trip to Montreal in the summer...

zanthrus
4th Nov 2014, 01:58
I agree it is a waste of time that CASA can ill afford.
But if the airline paid for it isn't a waste of money.
I hope CASA charged them enough to make a profit!
The waste is that the revenue from such a job may not be allocated to anything useful here in Australian aviation.

ramble on
4th Nov 2014, 03:43
They are out to bankrupt us all....

Safe skies are empty skies and airports that are shopping malls and used car lots......

Jabawocky
4th Nov 2014, 06:56
I think the airlines shareholders would be interested….

Whether it is dollars wasted by CASA or by the airline waste is waste. And it all hurts the industry as a whole.

Arm out the window
4th Nov 2014, 07:55
I now understand “technical wine tastings” are coming in again. For example, I have heard that CASA forced one of the airlines to pay for CASA inspectors to go to Singapore to approve the simulators – over $200,000 was the cost. Has anyone heard of this? Why is such waste allowed?

$200 grand seems pretty bloody steep, but if airlines are outsourcing training to overseas sims and CASA have to approve their systems of training then it would follow they should go and have a critical look at the setup before signing off.

yr right
4th Nov 2014, 18:07
Not just them that have there heads in the tough. Awi have the same. They must go and do aircraft type courses at industry expense as we'll wtf. So they know how to tell you what to do on the aircraft. What another waste. This has been going on since the dawn of time.

Sunfish
4th Nov 2014, 18:43
CASA inspectors also travel in the cockpit to any new route or destination an airline decides to fly to. Presumably to "approve" Heathrow, Paris, Berlin airports, etc.

ButFli
5th Nov 2014, 20:17
Been a while since any Aussie airlines started new flights to Heathrow, Paris, Berlin etc :}