PDA

View Full Version : Ebola cover through PAX?

Al R
2nd Nov 2014, 22:34
I was asked about this the other week. This is the chapter and verse response I received from a very helpful PAX bloke which might be helpful. I could never get this out via twitter..

Hi Al,

Here's the full monty (along with some detail on Malaria and bakcground just in case):

·Cover for the effects of Ebola is only provided if the insured person has the Optional Life extension . The cover is for death only.

·Cover for the effects of Malaria is provided under the Personal Accident section of the policy. Any claim will be assessed under the Death, Permanent Disability and Hospitalisation sections of the Table of Benefits. Both the above are subject to the normal terms, conditions and exclusions of the Policy. The explanation for this is follows:-

There are over 200 diseases worldwide that can spread from animal (including humans) and invertebrate vectors to humans, caused by bacteria, parasites, viruses, fungal infections, which can affect different parts of the body to varying degrees of seriousness. These illnesses can be transmitted by a variety of means, most commonly by physical bites and stings or through contact, ingestion of their waste products or by infected meat/eggs etc. entering the food chain. The definition of Bodily Injury under Part 1 Personal Accident cover, does not include sickness or disease unless this results from injury to the body.

As regards MALARIA, the act of a bite, sting or similar, however small, is classed as causing an accidental bodily injury and therefore death or bodily injury resulting from a disease spread to a PAX member by biting/stinging active vectors, such as mosquitos, dogs, snakes, ticks, tsetse fly etc. will be assessed under the Personal Accident section of the Policy, in accordance with the normal benefits, terms, conditions and exclusions. So hospitalisation is the obvious starting point with potential for a permanent disability.

Those illnesses where transmission is passive, usually by contact (including with bodily fluids as in the case of EBOLA), inhalation, ingestion of a vectors waste products or eating/drinking infected products, do not satisfy the definition of accidental bodily injury and would therefore be classed as a natural cause. The Optional Life Section of the Policy ( if this has been purchased by the customer) provides cover for Death by a natural cause. Disability is not included and if diagnosed as terminal, the patient is highly likely to die within days. So the claim is more likely to be dealt with under the death benefit rather than Terminal Illness.

The Critical illness cover included within the Life extension provides an amount of benefit for illness, but only in respect of defined Heart Attacks, Cancers and Strokes. If someone is attacked by an Ebola carrier and can be shown to have contracted the condition by that means then the Bodily Injury Definition comes back into play. The PAX Plan is fully open to all new applicants and existing customers may change their number of units or extent of cover at any time. The Plan remains a 24 hour worldwide policy for service personnel and their insured families.

Lima Juliet
2nd Nov 2014, 22:49
Thanks Al, I'll stop putting Fruit Bats on the barbeque then! :ok:

Whenurhappy
3rd Nov 2014, 04:15
In other words, catching Ebola in the execution of duties is regarded as 'natural causes'.

Great. I have Pax; does it cover Rabies, for instance, as I am in an area with high levels of rabies occurrences? (It also took a bit of an argument to get the jabs through the system).

Al R
3rd Nov 2014, 21:56
Leon,

Bat bleu, magnifique!

Whenur,

That looks like the long and the short of it, yes. But, as was pointed out to me earlier (and it's true) PAX is more tailored for physical trauma in an ops environment. Rabies looks like it's covered under the Bodily Injury definition but I'm not a PAX expert by any stretch of the imagination so if you'd like me to put you in touch with my PoC, let me know and I'd be glad to help. He also openly posts on ARRSE in the finance section, there's a thread just there for PAX questions.