PDA

View Full Version : Visa interview next week. Any tips?

sspencer1248
31st Oct 2014, 23:05
Hello all,

Next week I have a interview at the U.S. embassy for my visa application to go and train at California flight academy. I've read a few articles on past experiences and I want to prepare myself for every question thrown at me. Do you have any tips/advice for me ?

Regards

turbopropulsion
1st Nov 2014, 03:43
Providing you have nothing to hide you should be fine, just be honest and cooperative.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2014, 07:51
Total honesty.

Don't take ANYTHING (even a USB drive or phone) electronic with you to the embassy.

Be able to clearly explain why you have no intention of staying in the USA (e.g. you have a property / wife and children / business in your home country that you want to be back to as quickly as posisble).

Expect to chat about your flight training and what you'll be doing.

mad_jock
1st Nov 2014, 14:14
And they have zero sense of humour. DON'T crack even the slightest funny at all.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Nov 2014, 20:51
One other hint - take a good book, preferably a thick one.

US Embassy staff have no sense of urgency!

mad_jock
5th Nov 2014, 05:42
no ebooks, a paper one.

I have actually heard that if you sit there relaxed reading you actually get through faster as they can see your not pissed off.

sspencer1248
6th Nov 2014, 02:49
Thank you all for your replies. I have one last question. I'm 18. (full time student, dependant upon my mum n dad) One of the requirements that I have to bring along with me to the interview is proof of ties to my home country (UK). All I can really say is that all my family live in uk is there really any documents I can provide as proof? Or will they be satisfied if they hear it from me in person..

flying apprentice
6th Nov 2014, 04:39
You're worrying too much.

These guys at the embassy are trained to spot anomalies. You not having any documents to prove ties to the uk isn't going to be a big deal. They'll have seen plenty of teens go to the USA to study whilst under the support of their parents.

If you are honest, be yourself and are genuinely going to go to the USA for flight training they'll know and won't stand in your way.

I've done the process myself, and it's pretty painless apart from forking out a few hundred USD for the visa and appointment, oh and being without a mobile phone for the day's outing.

RedBullGaveMeWings
6th Nov 2014, 16:16
Interviewer: So you're going to the US for flight training? You love flying?
You: Yes, I do.
Interviewer: Are you planning to stay in the US after your training?
You: No, I will return to Europe to convert my American licence to the European equivalent.
Interviewer: Good! Enjoy your time in the States then!

That's it:hmm:

sherburn2LA
6th Nov 2014, 16:22
Them: Are you now or have ever been a member of the communist party
You: Nyet

Heathrow Harry
6th Nov 2014, 16:45
"Nyet TOVARICH" - always be polite..........

sspencer1248
8th Dec 2014, 10:27
Thanks for all the advice I got it in the end :ok:

flying apprentice
8th Dec 2014, 14:43
'In the end' - You make it sound like you had a problem. Hopefully not.

Have fun flying in the USA. If you can't have fun flying there, you'll never have fun flying.

mad_jock
10th Dec 2014, 15:45
What a load of rubbish flying apprentice.

Maybe when you get some real stick time you might realise that it is nothing special in fact Florida is just plain flat and boring.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2014, 16:43
I don't often disagree with you Jock - but I will here.

I really enjoy Florida: relaxed people, minimal but okay airports, a chance to drop in on places like Jack Browns or at the right time of year Sun N Fun. Plus a particular favourite of mine - alligator spotting. Not to mention the joys of CB dodging! ALso a bit of interest in going out to the Keys.

Not as spectactular as the scenery in many parts of the world (or other parts of the USA) I'll grant you, but it does have its moments and is a thoroughly enjoyable flying environment in my opinion.

mad_jock
10th Dec 2014, 22:46
it has a limit of about 25 hours and then its boring and you have seen everything.

Give it 150 hours hour building you haven't learned anything after the first 30 hours.

If I had to do it all over again I would go to New Zealand I think.

flying apprentice
11th Dec 2014, 03:31
Mad Jock

Sorry you didn't think much of Florida.

I liked flying there. Not sure if they still let you, but I though buzzing south beach at 500’ was great. As was gator spotting, and being in the air and seeing a rocket launch from just outside the TFR.

Admittedly the scenery is a little flat, and I'm sure the original poster will see some interesting scenery on the west coast. Especially if they get up to the sierras in the north.

But I stick by my statement, flying in the US (not just Florida) is fun. It's relaxed, the people are friendly (I don't get the elitist vibe I feel a lot when flying in the UK), it's cheap and for most part it's easy (but not in the sense you won't need stick and rudder skills).

mad_jock
11th Dec 2014, 09:49
once you have been other places you will realise how boring and rubbish it actually is.

And yes I have done the NASA runway beat up, flown along the beaches at 500ft watched twin water spouts off shore while flying to the keys.

Alaska is still on my bucket list but anywhere there is an EASA approved school forget it.