PDA

View Full Version : Time to let Jepessen go?

Old Akro
29th Oct 2014, 23:22
This is an IFR charting question.

Like many, I have subscriptions to both AvPlan & Jeppesen.

AvPlan on the iPad is pretty good for flight planning and in flight VFR mapping. But all iPad apps are a pain to print from.

I like the Jepp charts much, much better than the AsA ones. I like the whole integration of the Jepp system. I like being able to print Jepp trip kits and the whole chart printing ability from a proper PC in the office connected to the networked colour laser printer.

But, the Jepp Flightview windows flight chart / flight planning programme is cr@p that doesn't seem to have had any recent development.

In the last couple of months I've been largely overseas and during that time a) my Jepp subscription expired and b) I got a new laptop.

Now, I'm having trouble getting enthusiastic about re-instating the $280-ish annual subscription compared with the $60 IFR upgrade for AvPlan. And I just know installing the Jepp software on a new PC will have its own difficulties. The saving from stopping the Jepp subscription would pay for a backup iPad pretty quickly.

Theoretically, we need to carry ERC charts, etc as paper - and I like spreading out a paper charts on occasions - but many of my friends have stopped carrying any paper maps and only carry paper approach plates for the flight.

So, what is the contemporary opinion? FTDK are you still carrying enough computing to stock a PC shop?

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Oct 2014, 23:51
FTDK are you still carrying enough computing to stock a PC shop?Hmmm - no, not exactly!

1) I still carry paper Jepp's ERCs - cause I like them.

2) I still have current JeppView and FliteDeck on a windows tablet that I use to print out approach plates for a specific flight.

3) I have IFR OzRunways on an iPad mini on the control column and on my iPhone.

Has been a bit of a lull in my flying for the last couple of years - but that is all about to change as I move into the next phase of my professional career! :ok:

Dr :8

Oktas8
30th Oct 2014, 02:05
There are three things on PPRuNe that have only one "s":

Jeppesen

Asymmetric

and of course...

Spelling nazi.

Leaving now, before I get sin binned. Oh look, that only has one "s" too!

:E

And yes, I dislike Jeppesen too. Disliked it in GA - complicated on PC & expensive - and dislike it in RPT. I haven't the luxury of a choice however.

Capn Bloggs
30th Oct 2014, 03:49
before I get sin binned. Oh look, that only has one "s" too!
Where's ya hyphen?

Oktas8
30th Oct 2014, 04:13
I'm the "s" man in this department. You'll be wanting the Office of Hyphens, two doors down on the left.

(Still leaving. Where's my coat?)

Goat Whisperer
30th Oct 2014, 05:32
Went past it, inadvertently entered the office of superfluous apostrophe's.

sic

ANCPER
30th Oct 2014, 05:47
Too busy sweet talking goats? office of superfluous apostrophe's. Sorry but no cigar as no apostrophe as it's plural, and you forgot the capitals. :p

Office of Superfluous Apostrophes. There, all better now.

Oktas8
30th Oct 2014, 06:06
As the longest serving member of this very fascist department, I must remind you ANCPER not to harangue people who merely happen to be walking past your door in the Bureau of Capitalisation. Please wait until you are Summoned with Due Process.

Kind regards,
Dept. S.

(Where's my hat?)

Pontius
30th Oct 2014, 07:06
I think ANCPER should visit the Ministry of Irony and then he might better understand Goat Whisperer's post and the use of 'sic'.

While there, please tour the Comma Council and they will give you advice on how to better punctuate:

Sorry but no cigar as no apostrophe as it's plural, and you forgot the capitals.

Best regards,

Grammar Oberstgruppenfuhrer

(Who, ironically, lacks umlaut on his keyboard :) )

Old Akro
30th Oct 2014, 07:34
OK. I've fixed the spelling. Does anyone have an informed comment?

Avgas172
30th Oct 2014, 09:33
Umm not really, what was the question?

apache
30th Oct 2014, 11:03
There are three things on PPRuNe that have only one "s":

Four.... FINAL

Jabawocky
30th Oct 2014, 11:27
Akro,

from the understudy to the good Dr…….two iPads, and both Avplan and OzRunways. And learn to use both proficiently.

Why, two devices, obvious reasons, and both carrying two different softwares, just in case one has a spaz.

I have experience in the relief of having this system ;)

:ok:

I am going to let my Jepps lapse this year, despite preferring their plates

ANCPER
30th Oct 2014, 13:05
To Pontius the Pontificating Pilot, :p

I missed the "sic". I admit it, but no apology!:O

Old Akro
30th Oct 2014, 22:42
I am going to let my Jepps lapse this year, despite preferring their plates

*Sigh* I agree. The Jepp system is better than ASA, but I think I'll simplify my life by moving to Avplan only

Squawk7700
30th Oct 2014, 23:01
+1 for carrying 2 x software types. If you forget to download maps or your subs expire you will be in pain.

harrowing
1st Nov 2014, 22:41
Pontius, did the Grammar Oberstgruppenfuhrer miss the lesson on split infinitives?:rolleyes:

717tech
2nd Nov 2014, 00:03
Recently upgraded (downgraded?) from a hard copy to the iPad/Windows Jeppview...

I'm far from happy with it so far.

PLovett
2nd Nov 2014, 11:51
Actually have both Jepps and AvPlan although no longer necessary but when I was using them I really only used the Jepps. The AvPlan was actually a pain in the neck and was using up gobs of download allowance. The only shortcoming with the Jepps was the lack of TACs' which I solved with a separate subscription which still made the whole shebang cheaper than the paper equivalent. Still carried the paper charts as back-ups and printed off when the required charts were amended. AvPlan only useful for when a pax asked "what is that town called?" and I didn't know the answer.

VH-Cheer Up
2nd Nov 2014, 23:34
But all iPad apps are a pain to print from.
Have you tried Google Cloud Print?