PDA

View Full Version : UK version of the USA's Stolen Valor Act petition

Typhoon93
29th Oct 2014, 15:34
UK version of the USA Stolen Valour Act (Walter Mitty Act) - e-petitions (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62986)

I thought some of you may be interested in this.

T.

Dash8driver1312
29th Oct 2014, 16:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8454715.stm

It is not an offence to own medals but it is already a punishable offence to wear ones unearned. See above article!

GreenKnight121
30th Oct 2014, 01:05
That law (Army Act of 1955) was replaced in 2010 by the Armed Forces Act 2006.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/52/pdfs/ukpga_20060052_en.pdf

I don't know if that Act contains any such provision - I could not find one in my scanning.

barnstormer1968
30th Oct 2014, 10:23
T93
Why did you think that?
This site isn't Twitter or Facebook !

orca
30th Oct 2014, 11:43
I quite like the fact that he was thinking of 'you' rather than 'us', maybe all's not lost.

teeteringhead
30th Oct 2014, 14:16
The Anzacs have a great "Walt-Hunting" organisation called ANZMI.

Some very good tales on their website here. (http://www.anzmi.net/) And they can spell "valour"! ;)

Whenurhappy
30th Oct 2014, 15:04
Do we need specific legislation? It's great fun taking the p!ss out of some chap who wears a collection of 'commemorative' medals as if they are his own. Generally, it seems, there are underlying problems with these individuals.

Last year I think I posted a photo of a rather weird individual who turned up at a Remembrance Day Parade with all manner of medals, lapel badges, neck decorations and an RAF beret with an Airmen's badge. I spoke with the consular staff who were aware of this chap and responded that he was a colourful chap who didn't do much harm; in retrospect, I have to agree.

As pointed out above, our Austral cousins have a great website.

Typhoon93
30th Oct 2014, 19:08
It might be good fun to take the piss, however I find it very disrespectful and distasteful that somebody would pose in a military uniform that wasn't earned. I'm of the same opinion with medals. If they aren't yours, then (in my humble opinion) don't wear them.

Unfortunately, there is no offence for wearing uniform/badges/medals in public just to pose. I believe there should be to protect the dignity of the uniform/medals - they are essentially mocking the very group of people they claim to respect. There's an offence for impersonating a police officer, so why can't there be an offence for impersonating Service personnel?

Tankertrashnav
30th Oct 2014, 23:30
I used to be in the medal trade and part of my living came from selling the various commemorative medals which have become common over recent years (D Day Medal, National Service Medal etc) Personally I have never felt the need to wear any of these myself, indeed these days my single GSM stands out among the multi-coloured arrays seen on remembrance day parades.

I draw a distinction between those basically harmless types who feel the need to wear these "vanity" medals and the true Walts who award themselves official campaign and even gallantry medals. These men are just contemptible!

Typhoon93
30th Oct 2014, 23:47
I can understand the desire to own some medals - some of them are gorgeous pieces and I've often contemplated perhaps one day having some of them in a frame on the wall, and if not the real thing, then replicas. I would never wear them though. They aren't mine to wear. The DFC is my favourite.

Until the recent thread about the Major who had a medal taken off him because he awarded it to himself on false pretences, I wasn't aware that medals could be awarded to ones self, or even that campaign medals could be tailored to fit as pointed out by PN. Lying to another person is one thing, but how could you possibly lie to yourself and not feel guilt? :confused:

Courtney Mil
31st Oct 2014, 01:03
I doubt in today's climate that there is the money, time nor resources to get this anywhere near the radar horizon. Mil Pers are used to all sorts of indignation and will have enough big issues way higher up their agenda.

Whenurhappy
31st Oct 2014, 05:12
There is a difference between someone who elaborates their background and 'bigs' themselves up, with someone who wears medals to obtain benefits or a job,let's say. The latter group of people, thankfully rare, it seems, are already covered by other legislation, such as the Fraud Act.

Al R
31st Oct 2014, 07:13
New laws used to be the last sanction, something to do when common sense failed. Since the 1990s though, it seems that every Tom, Dick or Harry has a law to stop them being peeved or offended - let alone abused, injured or disadvantaged. If some old biffer wants to big himself up with medals that aren't his, then more pity him. Of course, I now feel compelled to mention other genders may also do this, in case I fall foul of breaching some inclusivity statute introduced by a bitter and twisted single issue fanatic.

The behaviour is tasteless, tacky, disrespectful and all of that sort of stuff but I'd prefer fewer pieces of legislation aimed at achieving credible aims than pointless ones falling about our ears like confetti every two minutes. So, to stop assorted affronted folk resorting to facebook to express their out.. sorry, OUTRAGE, here's my suggestion. Let's use legislative time instead to get homeless folks off the streets this xmas. In fact, permanently.

We are sinking in a quagmire of legislation yet those who need the most protection from it are the ones most ignored by it.

Tankertrashnav
31st Oct 2014, 09:43
Good post Al :ok:

teeteringhead
31st Oct 2014, 10:43
We are sinking in a quagmire of legislation Exactly so - most of which is unnecessary. Despite the rafts of new "anti-terror" legislation, ISTR that the guys who tried to car bomb Glasgow Airport a couple of years back were prosecuted under the Explosives Act 1875!

And once the laws are there, they can be misused. The dreadful European Arrest Warrant which was proclaimed as an anti-trerrorist measure, was recently used to pursue those people trying to get Proton Therapy for their young son.

"Nothing to Hide, Nothing to Fear?" I don't think so.

Typhoon93
31st Oct 2014, 10:44
True.

Although I can't see the people at home coming before the billions spend on foreign aid every year, as unfortunate as it may be.

NutLoose
25th Nov 2016, 21:06
Good article about it

The 'Walter Mittys': Why do some people pose as heroes? - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38085998)

MPN11
26th Nov 2016, 11:09
In this context I refer you to a couple of [in]famous ARRSE posts on the subject of a famous Mitty:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/James_Shortt%27s_Dodgy_Uniforms_and_Medals

ARRSE spent many happy hours deconstruction his collection of faux honours, medals and titles :)

Two's in
26th Nov 2016, 15:11
As I've said before, most of these cases are people who would benefit more from some professional mental health care, rather than bothering the already over-burdened court system. As Al R says, why not channel this outrage at a cause for good like getting genuine ex-serviceman into a place of warmth and safety.

Yellow Sun
26th Nov 2016, 15:52
As I've said before, most of these cases are people who would benefit more from some professional mental health care, rather than bothering the already over-burdened court system. As Al R says, why not channel this outrage at a cause for good like getting genuine ex-serviceman into a place of warmth and safety.

What he said! Parliament has more important business to conduct than worrying about this matter. We need fewer laws, not more of them.

YS

EAP86
26th Nov 2016, 20:05
Interesting take on the Act...

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2016/11/23/the-walter-mitty-law-is-misconceived-and-dangerous-in-equal-measure/

EAP

Tankertrashnav
26th Nov 2016, 23:23
Interesting common sense reaction to this proposed bill from The Secret Barrister. A waste of valuable Parliamentary time, contempt and ridicule is the best response to these pathetic creatures, not spending a fortune on prosecuting them and putting them in already overcrowded jails.

ShotOne
3rd Dec 2016, 13:34
Yes, more laws. Aargh! If they pass this one, where does it end? Do we then need more laws making it illegal to pretend to be a doctor or airline pilot to impress someone (Not talking about treating patients or flying an aircraft without qualification which are obviously already illegal)

Aside from which, a glance at some of the genuinely sad cases, shows pity and mental health care is probably more appropriate than prosecution.