PDA

View Full Version : RAF Marham posting

heights good
28th Oct 2014, 23:55
Quick query, what is Marham like as a camp for a married Officer with pre-school children?

Any input welcome

Regards

HG

jolihokistix
29th Oct 2014, 08:02
No input must mean something! ;)

Not military myself, but I have been to take part in the March 30-130 event there held in March each year. A wet and windy and desolate place indeed, and miles from anywhere, if you can even find it, so both you and your wife would need a car each to get anywhere like Cambridge, King's Lynn, Wisbech, Peterborough, Norwich, etc. Not too far from Cranwell. Lovely countryside for the kids, and good seaside on the north Norfolk coast.

The RAF lads looked like they enjoyed the fast cars event (mostly Mitsubishi Evos, Subaru Imprezas, Nissan Skyline GTRs etc.) and some got taken out for a blast. The tea and hamburgers were pretty desperate, I remember.

Me? :D I managed to come 12th or 13th in the acceleration from 30 mph to 130 mph, and reached about 180 mph before having to stomp hard on the brakes at the end of the runway. My speedo was showing 200 mph, but they put a V-box on your dashboard to get a more accurate satellite reading which comes up on the TV displays. A hare came lolloping across the runway and I assumed it would keep going so I didn't brake, but it stopped in the middle and turned to stare at me. Only just missed it by the skin of my teeth and was very lucky not to have crashed and rolled, as some have. (Pheasants etc.)

Well, you did ask! :cool:

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2014, 08:51
HG, in days of yore, known as El Adem with grass. For those that don't know, an airfield in the Libyan desert 16 miles south of Tobruk.

downsizer
29th Oct 2014, 08:57
Qtrs adequate.
Internet to qtr, diabolical.
Remote.
We found the primary school appalling, very poor teachers and experience.
Rainbow nursery next door was very good though.

BEagle
29th Oct 2014, 08:57
Pontius Navigator wrote: ...in days of yore, known as El Adem with grass.

Perhaps, but since those days they've invented the motor car. Marham really isn't in the 'middle of nowhere' any more - and it's one of the less than a handful of fast jet bases left in England nowadays...:uhoh:

HTB
29th Oct 2014, 08:58
I had a brief posting to Marham in '92, from LBH, in January, then back to HQ 2ATAF in April (how's that for personnel managmenmt). My OMQ was at West Raynham as the MQs on base were fully occupied (most of us were allocated wg cdr or above quarters in Atcherley Square, sqn ldr quarters in other select parts of the patch for the less senior JOs - the NCO/airman quarters were dire, needing much modernising).

The first couple of weeks I had no idea how I got to work, there was persistent heavy fog, so the road journey was a virtually blind adventure - don't know why we bothered as just about every day was black flag until midday (sometimes the whole day and night).

The base itself was the usual V-force sprawl with a couple of HAS sites (still occupied), so II(AC) was assigned a hangar/apron set up aka 'the waterfornt'. It is a typical near-coast flatlands place, although slightly elevated above the surrounding swamp (what passes for a major hill in Norfolk); plenty of wind and rain, except when there was fog and mist.

The locals speak with a strange accent and some dialect and seem to be related to just about everyone else (definition of a virgin in Norfollk: girl who can run faster than her father and brothers). 'Duelling banjos' springs to mind...:E

Otherwise, you can fall back on the old V-force description (from the civilised bases to the west of Marham): "El Adem with grass".

This will be of little use to you, as there may have been major improvements since I was there:rolleyes:

Regards

Mister B

BEagle
29th Oct 2014, 09:01
HTB, no doubt the locals can still count up to 12 on their fingers....:ooh:

PapaDolmio
29th Oct 2014, 09:06
Very quiet at the moment, getting noisier in a few years.

Seriously though, when I left 2 yrs ago...
Facilities sparse but were getting better. Gym was poor, messes pretty standard. You need a car (isolated). The preschool on the patch was excellent (Rainbow). Nearest big supermarket (Waitrose) or Kings Lynn. KL is the nearest town, ok for shops, eating out but avoid on Friday and Saturday nights.
Norwich is about an hour away, Peterborough about the same, I always preferred Norwich.
Best bit- having the North Norfolk coast on your doorstep, some great country pubs and a more sedate pace of life (outside the wire).
Lots of complaints from the young ones about being isolated, to which my reply was "You should have been to Binbrook"

pontifex
29th Oct 2014, 09:35
Spent seven years there in the 70s with little kids. It was the best seven years of our married life both socially and professionally.

Tankertrashnav
29th Oct 2014, 09:46
Concur with Pontifex. I also had a very happy 6 years at Marham in the 70s. I was married with a pre-school sprog as well. We never lived on base, but spent 3 years in Swaffham and the other 3 in Kings Lynn. 15-20 minute commute from Swaffham, a bit longer from Lynn. I understand both towns have gone downhill since I was there, but that would apply to virtually all towns in Britain. As Beagle points out the oft quoted El Adem with grass description probably had some relevance when hardly any airmen had cars but with your own transport Marham's no worse than dozens of other RAF stations (oh sorry, we dont have dozens any more :()

I've lived in Cornwall for 37 years but still get homesick for Norfolk when I hear that lovely accent (HTB's strange accent). Beagle's joke about 12 fingers was quite funny - at least it was the first 37 times I heard it :*

BEagle
29th Oct 2014, 09:48
Well I won't mention their webbed feet then.....:p

ian16th
29th Oct 2014, 10:43
The closest pub has been closed down and demolished!

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/norfolk/pics/marham_oldbell.jpg

But the beer was terrible.

Stewart & Patterson's :yuk:

Flatiron
29th Oct 2014, 10:53
To misquote Mark Twain, the worst winter I ever spent was summer at Marham.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Oct 2014, 11:37
After the RAF, I had a sales patch covering Norfolk and Suffolk. They are almost without exception completely delightful counties...

..the exception is RAF Marham. I was there for 4 months in the Service :{

I recommend blackmailing your posting officer.

roony
29th Oct 2014, 13:20
I was there for 12 months. One day I got a call asking if I fancied an exchange to Coltishall. I had packed my stuff before the chap on the other end of the phone had hung up.

Yellow Sun
29th Oct 2014, 14:55
Best bit- having the North Norfolk coast on your doorstep, some great country pubs and a more sedate pace of life (outside the wire).

There is no equivalent of mañana in Norfolk. Nothing is that urgent.

Ys:O

29th Oct 2014, 15:34
My son and daughter-in-law's neighbour is aircrew there. They live in Downham Market which is very pleasant with good facilities but bit of a drive.

Melchett01
29th Oct 2014, 15:56
I held at Marham as a fg off. Having lived in some of the UK's biggest cities, even I was surprised to see a chainsaw appear during a fight in one of the bars in KL.

TV reception depended on the weather - if it was good, you could get BBC1. If it was windy you could forget getting Ch4. If it rained , well it was fine if you liked BBC2. I got quite good at crosswords.

Tankertrashnav
29th Oct 2014, 16:03
Downham Market - a "bit" of a drive being the operative word. Less than 10 miles on fairly empty roads. Downham also has the advantage of being on the direct King's Lynn - Cambridge - London rail route, as well as local bus services.

ian - that's like saying the oldest man in the village has died - there must be a pub which is the closest now! ;)

I wonder why Pontifex and I had such a good time whereas lots of others had the opposite. Could it be that it all went downhill after the tankers left and the Tornadoes arrived? ;)

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2014, 17:23
TTN, of course it's what you make of it. That station stuck in the middle of the Hatfield marshes had a great social life not withstanding Donny just down the road.

Rigga
29th Oct 2014, 18:11
Spent 4 years working there in recent years.
It is a lovely area - but it is isolated and about as far from any pub as you can get in UK.
The local people don't sink in quicksand and the Queen is a neighbour - and she lives closer to a pub than the folks at Marham!

You need to drive for 15 mins to hit civilisation.

4mastacker
29th Oct 2014, 18:31
You need to drive for 15 mins to hit civilisation.

You sure about that Rigga? I was based there for five years and I thought the drive to civilisation was at least an hour and quarter. ;)

I lived in whilst I was there but my colleagues who were in MQs were less than happy with the standard of the houses or the quality of the "maintenance". Things might have changed since then.

Vendee
29th Oct 2014, 19:49
I had a brief posting to Marham in '92, from LBH, in January, then back to HQ 2ATAFHTB,

Ahhh... not so happy days. I also pitched up on II(ac) from LBH (from a disbanding XV sqn) at the same time as you. On the engineering side there was a mix of II(ac) people from LBH, a few Tornado bods from other units and a lot of Bloodhound bods from Raynham who had never been near anything that needed a turnround servicing.

ISTR arrival day for most folks was 6th Jan, which was first day after Xmas grant. Most blue chits never got completed because gung-ho CO (W/C Holding I think) insisted on a full flying program on the 8th. I lasted until June or July when I managed to get a swap into the engine bay. It was my second II(ac) tour in my career and not a patch on my first.

ian16th
29th Oct 2014, 20:43
I was at Marham twice. The 1st tour was 3 years and 8 months, and then after 2 years at Akrotiri, I asked to spend my last 6 months service at Marham.

My request was granted! Not a lot of competition.

Most of the 1st tour was as a living in, single Cpl/T, for the last two years, traveling to Teesside by BR at the weekends.

The social life around Marham was very much what you made it. I was active in the Sailing Club at Denver Sluice and the Jennings Arms.

Saturday nights we went to Norwich! Close to 50 miles away.

I got married and lived out in a grotty flat in KL. This only lasted 4 months and I was posted to Akrotiri with an accompanied passage.

The main thing that made my time there so pleasant was that I spent all of both postings on 214 Sqdn. The early days of IFR before it became AAR and lots of detachments. :ok:

Didn't have a car, wife didn't work. This was the norm in those days.

O-P
29th Oct 2014, 22:14
Hey,

Look on the bright side, it's not Coningsby!

acmech1954
29th Oct 2014, 22:22
I think you will find that a lot of the people that are commenting from fading memories of long ago. Bloodhounds 1992, don't think so,
Yes the quarters (all ranks) were dire, but now they have mostly been modernised and all have gas central heating. The maintenance is contracted the same as every where else. Television reception has improved with digital and satellite proving to be as good as anywhere countrywide. As for schools, cannot really comment as all of ours have flown the nest, but they were adequate at best when they were attending. Broadband is ok, not the fastest in the country but good enough for normal use, supposedly being upgraded soon, whenever that is.
The local towns, Kings Lynn, Swafham and Downham Market have a good selection of shops (so my wife tells me) with all the family sized supermarkets and DIY shops you could need, but you do need a car for convenience as the bus service is not 'every half hour at the end of the street' , but there is one, as long as you are ready to return by 6 in the evening.
The 3 pubs that were in the village have all gone, 2 are now private houses and the third, (the picture shows where it was) is now 16 houses. They closed because no one used them, not like the 70s when they were busy at least 3 nights a week. There are 2 or 3 pub/eateries within 5 miles that are very good, they must be or they would have shut with the rest.
There are some lovely beaches around the North Norfolk coast, and despite what some have said we do get the weather to enjoy them, there are also many places inland to visit, Sandringham and other BIG houses and the forest around Thetford to name a couple, you just have to travel a bit, but no more than any other location.

When I first arrived at Marham there were 3 Victor Tanker squadrons, so I have been here a while and have seen most things that Norfolk can throw at you and seen how much the station has changed, I recommend that you get here with an open mind and see for yourself, if you do not enjoy it, it may be your own fault

Willard Whyte
29th Oct 2014, 22:53
Better off PVRing.

But that would apply to pretty much any posting now that Lyneham has closed.

BBadanov
30th Oct 2014, 04:44
I heard people referring to Marham as the "M-word"

bosnich71
30th Oct 2014, 05:35
"El Adem with grass" .... I preferred El Adem myself but then I only did 5 days in the desert.

ian16th
30th Oct 2014, 09:50
Look on the bright side, it's not Coningsby!

I also did a year at Coningsby! Am I to be considered unlucky?

Arclite01
30th Oct 2014, 14:26
You need a car

Well I live local'ish to Marham...............

There's good news and bad news:

Bad

It's isolated and the bus service is poor
Local shops - limited (within 5 miles)
No local pub
Winter can be bleak - those Easterlies (Brrr)
Not sure about local schools
Lots of Eastern Europeans - sometimes you can be the only English speaker in the bus queue...............
Local wages are not good - if your wife was thinking of a part time job.......
Long term prospects for kids are limited...............
You really do need a car

Good

MQ's now largely upgraded
Broadband as good as anywhere outside a major town
A47 means reasonable transit times to Kings Lynn and Norwich (20 mins to KL and 40 to Norwich)
Shops in KL much improved
Norwich Shopping very good now
Swaffham is Ok for a bit of local shopping
Norwich clubbing is OK now (if that is your thing)
Trains to London or the North from Downham Market
Norfolk Coast & Broads not far
Good Fishing at Pentney
Good Sea and Beach Fishing
Good Boating
Good golf (plenty of choice)
Lots of Country Fayres and stuff in the summer
Growing number of outdoor concerts and festivals in summer
Lots of National Trust Properties
Good place to have a dog
Great if you like walking
Multiple sports clubs (some small and friendly, some big and impersonal)
You will find the villages very friendly and the schools generally OK.
You need a car
East Anglia is family friendly

I brought my house from an Ex-Plumber (in Dereham) and my neighbour was a sparky on Tornadoes, they both chose to commute daily (approx. 25 mins e/w) as they felt it was easier to get to Norwich and other towns from here, and there are a better choice of schools in Dereham (6 x pre-schools, 4 x Primary and 2 x Secondary)

Most of the old perspective on East Anglia is out of date, the place is changing........

Hope this helps.

Did I say you need a car ????

Arc

5aday
30th Oct 2014, 17:07
I was stationed there from 67 to 69 in ATC and Ops - 3 sqns and TTF (all Victor BK1) and 252 site behind the tower though the missiles had gone. I recall some real snow and a snow blower going nearly all night but equally some fabulous summer weather. Brilliant beaches, pubs in the village (my 21st was in the one shown as a load of rubble) and a very free and easy relaxed life as a single man.
Apparently there were some shenanagans in quarters - so said the News of the World but on the single side , there were famous bands most weeks and loads of good looking girls from all over the place, including some from Brampton on a night out.
Oh yes - I nearly forgot - I was in the tower when a certain young man from W. Raynham in his hunter buzzed the place at very low level en route back from Tower Bridge. The lights were at green on the Burmah Road and the F/Sgt local controller was just coming back from lunch.
Quite a few incidents at the time, the worst being the Victor and Canberra in 1968.
I digress, I know diddly squat about the question.

nimbev
30th Oct 2014, 17:53
5aday

I digress, I know diddly squat about the question.

What an unusually honest thing to say on PPRuNe! Congratulations:ok::ok::ok:

Vendee
30th Oct 2014, 18:56
I think you will find that a lot of the people that are commenting from fading memories of long ago. Bloodhounds 1992, don't think soacmech, there is nothing wrong with my memory.... I worked alongside the Bloodhound techs at Marham in 92.

85 Sqn were operating the Bloodhound at West Raynham until the second half of 1991. Bloodhound techs were posted into Marham in Jan 1992.

NRU74
30th Oct 2014, 19:57
heights good,
I arrived there as a 23 yr old Fg Off and thought I'd been sent [3rd Tour] to the middle of nowhere -I hated it initially, but, after about 3 years I then began to like it.When I was posted after 7 years or so I was quite sad to leave.I was pleased to return some three years later.Thus I spent about half of my career there.One of the Navs, Ernie W spent virtually the whole of his 35yr career there.
However I think you need to do a short 'speak Norfie' course to get the most out of it.
First listen to Allan Smethurst on Youtube singing 'Hev yew got a loight bor'
Then when someones going to the nearest town on a fruitless mission you can say 'Haar yew trarttin' to Swarfham fer narthin'
Water boots=wellingtons
Windowscreen=windscreen
point o' two's= pint of mixed mild and bitter
After 3 months you'll only refer to King's Lynn as 'Lynn' [although you'll be aware it was Bishops Lynn until the Reformation
You'll enjoy it !
Nice County, Nice people

ian16th
31st Oct 2014, 14:49
point o' two's= pint of mixed mild and bitter

That was one of the strange quirk's of the Swedes that I had forgotten, do the natives still mix their beers?

They also had a liking for 'brown & mild'.

When I lived out in Lynn, and actually had a 'local' I was one of the few customers that drank my bitter 'neat'!

Typhoon93
31st Oct 2014, 15:29
That area has some of the best pike fishing in the country. If that's your thing of course. If it is, then please do post some photos in JB!

Pom Pax
31st Oct 2014, 15:49
After 3 months you'll only refer to King's Lynn as 'Lynn' [although you'll be aware it was Bishops Lynn until the Reformation
Probably in the Summer of 1945 I was taken on a rail excursion with the rest of the village kids to Hunstun. Now when the train pulled into King's Lynn the platform porter called out "Lynn Regis". On enquiring as to why he was calling this out, I was told "Because its Royal". Further confusion was when the train left the station backwards and we had not even been to the seaside.
Having been educated in Naarfulk I cun speak the lingo, in fact I was probably in my teens before I wur corrected frum saying "Windowscreen". I only graduated to drinking bitter when I was of legal age to order my own. After M & B it was quite shock to the pallet.
I fell sorrow for those now in a village with no pub but the county went into decline when Bullards and Lacons ceased to exist.

And blame Dr Beeching for not being able to change at South Lynn for King's Lynn. The M & G N would have given you a direct train to Brum.

NRU74
31st Oct 2014, 15:52
Ian16th
I'd been at Marham (pronounced raff marram by the locals)about 6 months and managed to get invited to a party at Pentney Abbey
I stopped en route and asked for a pint of two's in the local pub in Pentney.It was one of those moments when the ball on the Pool Table stopped in mid shot and the pub went deathly quiet.The Landlord said 'Haar yew gooin' to the abbey?Is it three in a bed tonight'?'
I was and it wasn't
Good party though

acmech1954
31st Oct 2014, 16:52
Vendee, my humble apologies to your memory, I had to check the Bloodhounds retirement date and found out it was 91, 2 years before me. I would have sworn that they were long gone before that, more like 82, I even thought West Raynham had shut about then as well. Every day is a learning day :O

Vendee
31st Oct 2014, 18:23
No problem airmech. I can remember 1992 like it was yesterday but I'm not sure what I had for breakfast this morning :)

The Scarlet Pimpernel
1st Nov 2014, 00:41
Spent 2 tours there in the late 90s and early 00s. Arrived there thinking "what a ####hole" (had to drive round the perimeter twice to find a way in!). 7 years after that intro and I'm happy to say they were some of the best of my life - if you go there and are determined to be miserable, you'll be miserable. But you are on the doorstep of some of the most beautiful beaches in the land and one of the remaining counties where community means something. Some of the pubs are astounding- but you have to explore to find them.

We ended up living out in Castle Acre (a village north of Swaffham) which has loads of character. We loved it there and hold Norfolk very dear to our heart.

glad rag
1st Nov 2014, 00:43
but you have to explore to find them

Well you'll be doing even more now then!!

acmech1954
1st Nov 2014, 08:20
It is surprising how many people did a second, third or more postings to Marham at their own request, not so much theses days due to a very restricted choice.

ian16th
1st Nov 2014, 08:34
Im surprised to hear that the Bloodhounds were at Marham as late as the 90's. They arrived during my 1st tour, circa 1960.

It was eerie if near them when it was quite, with no a/c movements and several of them would start tracking something.
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/ian16th/WZ390UnderTow.jpg?t=1414829680

http://s818.photobucket.com/user/ian16th/media/WZ390UnderTow.jpg.html?filters[user]=100205684&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

In my time, the Bloodhounds were 242 Sqdn and part of Fighter Command. This caused me to reach the peak of my 'athletic' career!

On 214 Sqdn, we were very keen on winning things, especially if it meant beating 148 Sqdn. I dunno where the rivalry came from, and 49 and 207 Sqdns weren't involved. As a result we would enter for absolutely any competition/sports event that happened.

Come the Inter-Section Athletics, if we entered and finished an event we scored a point, and we could enter 2 men per event. So we did, skill and/or experience not necessary, just finishing. I enter an event that I could do, and when it came to filling the gaps, I am entered for the odd place in the 2 Mile Walk.

Come the day, I do my best, and to everyone's surprise, including mine, I came 3rd.

The guy who came 2nd was from 242 Sqdn.

As a result, come the 3 Group Athletic Championships, I'm in the Station Team as I was the 2nd guy who was qualified to represent Marham.

I played rugby and cricket for a few station teams, but this was my only 'athletics' at a representative level :ok:

Vendee
1st Nov 2014, 09:32
Im surprised to hear that the Bloodhounds were at Marham as late as the 90'sNo, not the Bloodhounds but rather their technicians from West Raynham who were posted in when the Bloodhounds finally stood down.

dallas
1st Nov 2014, 09:56
I was a first and third tourist at Marham late 80s, and regularly heard the 'El Adem with grass' descriptor - not that I knew wtf they were on about.

As a singly I have lots of fond memories of both tours and retain many friends from that era, probably because we were so relatively remote. That vs my second tour in the middle at Brize, which I found to be impersonal and unwelcoming. The biggest issue is it's not very well connected, so getting anywhere takes an hour, so I don't imagine it's much fun for young wives while hubby is away at the latest war.

Tankertrashnav
1st Nov 2014, 10:51
No, not the Bloodhounds but rather their technicians from West Raynham who were posted in when the Bloodhounds finally stood down.

Glad you cleared that up Vendee. I was a bit worried that I had spent six years there 1971 - 77 and hadn't noticed them! What were still there in my period were the FIDO tanks near the threshold of runway 24 - they provided a very useful response for the nav radar when doing an internal aids approach on the H2S. Gone now I see, looking at Google Earth.

ian16th
1st Nov 2014, 12:58
FIDO tanks near the threshold of runway 24We were told the story that the FIDO tanks were part of the reason that Marham was a Master Diversion airfield and as a consequence why we techies were lumbered with the 'Gale and Crash Crew' duty. Never heard of them being used though.

The only 'on the airfield' incident that happened in my time, was a Javelin that landed with the port u/c leg not down. This conveniently happened during the normal day shift and right outside the 214 ground crew room window!

Beautiful landing, held the port wing up as long as possible, when the wing tip eventually touched the runway, lots of sparks and the a/c started spinning. When it stopped, the canopy opened and the pilot and nav exited and ran down the wing, and off onto the grass like something from a Speedy Gonzales cartoon.

If it hadn't been serious, it would have been funny :ok:

Coltishall. loved it
1st Nov 2014, 19:48
Said in a Norfolk accent: “I don’t need to go abroad and if I did I’d go to wroxham Broad” That’s why we don’t have motorways here. It’s to keep all you unwebbed types out

5aday
5th Nov 2014, 08:37
The photo of the Valiant was,I think, taken from the balcony of Local Control (ATC) and I stand corrected -it was 242sqn with the Bloodhounds. We had a Valiant parked outside Operations and there was still an airworthy one at Boscombe Down which sometimes used Marham for practise diversions as late as 1968. Again I digress.
Incidentally, and I digress again, my first CAA FLt.Ops.Inspector in JEA was John Mitchell who was on the reserve Valiant at Christmas Island. Quite a character on ferry flights from De Havilland in Downsview.

jolihokistix
5th Nov 2014, 10:04
Forgot to mention that the law runs out above Thetford and people start driving faster and faster towards Norwich. Around Snetterton and the Lotus works, you can take the roundabouts on two wheels. The Police are very few and far between anywhere in northern East Anglia, so few in fact that you might even feel lucky bumping into one. :}

aw ditor
5th Nov 2014, 10:40
5aday

John Mitchell was also a PR Canberra man.

AD'

5aday
5th Nov 2014, 21:40
AD.
Indeed he was. Thank you.
Dave M

ian16th
6th Nov 2014, 09:58
5aday

there was still an airworthy one at Boscombe Down which sometimes used Marham for practise diversions as late as 1968.That would have been XD816, it spent most of its life on 214 Sqdn.

I knew it well :ok:
It was one of the a/c fitted with both Eureka X and Rebecca X for the trials of said kit.

5aday
6th Nov 2014, 22:20
Terrific information on this web site. Build it and they will come.
Thank you Ian,
Dave M

dmussen
7th Nov 2014, 01:19
Whilst on 232 OCU '73-'74 I met an interesting assortment of co-jos and navs (radar) who used to play in Lotus cars around Norfolk.
Black flag days meant either a "Downex" or a "Swaffex" would be "on" with very expensive outcomes in some instances. Hence the name Lotus Eaters. There are vague memories of runs through the grounds of Sandringham.
I can also remember that winter and that Siberian wind blowing off the North Sea.
Pity about the pubs. we loved them.

Training Risky
7th Nov 2014, 03:44
I don't mean to sound deliberately negative, but in my 16-year career so far, having served at or visited every (active!) RAF station from St Mawgan to Lossie...Marham was the worst 2 years of my life.

Perhaps my opinion is coloured by the fact I was married but unaccompanied, (my wife lost her patience with the RAF and DHE the previous year)...but the total absence of a pub, a pool, transport links, a decent restaurant and any hint of decent mess accom meant that I couldn't wait to leave.

Yes indeed, the best times at Marham were spent southbound on the M11 or in the Gulf!

Autobahnstormer
14th Nov 2014, 11:49
Aaah, happy memories. Spent 9 years of my life there as a scaley. The Bell pub knocked down - I went to school with the Landlords son, I even remember his name, not bad going for a forgetful old knacker like me. TTN & PN you mist have known or even flown with Pater who is still living the dream in the Alps. 'El-Adem with grass' Dad told me that there was an entry in SSO's that forbade calling it that. I visited a while back and not a lot had changed, the swimming pool behind the NAAFI had been filled-in, our old OMQ hadn't changed a bit. Nowadays, being a bit better travelled I'd think twice about living there but that's a purely personal observation - shopping trips were to Swaaaaaffum or Downham market, Lynn was a once a month treat. The freezer was full of Pheasants that were regularly mown down on the road, my Mum being the worst culprit with a kill ration of at least two a month, and I remember the storms when the Valiant near the Ops Block nearly got airborne, the wind-speed was that high. Many other memories have come back form my dim & distant past, all good ones thankfully.Autobahnstormer

downsizer
15th Nov 2014, 09:43
Back to some current info, fibre broadband to be installed early next year. Should beat the 1meg tops available currently.

Pontius Navigator
15th Nov 2014, 10:13
ABS, no, I was in 1st Division North and not 3rd South.

NRU74
15th Nov 2014, 16:00
I was in 1st Division North and not 3rd South.Aah.... 'Third Division South' ...trouble was, whichever 1Gp AOC used that expression,he didn't realise that the term would be used as an accolade by those of us in 3Gp [a bit like the Old Contemptibles].
I remember getting diverted into Scampton one night and with much glee each crew member wrote after his name in the Mess 'Warning In' Book - Marham [3rd Div South]

Tigermoth33
2nd Jun 2016, 18:26
When were you at Marham. please?

Bladdered
3rd Jun 2016, 11:24
Think you have time warped a couple of year TM33 :)

Melchett01
3rd Jun 2016, 20:44
Think you have time warped a couple of year TM33 :)

And I bet all the previous posts are still accurate :E

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jun 2016, 22:51
Mine is - still have very happy memories of Marham. Went up to Kings Lynn for a 214 reunion recently and drove out to Marham and took a photo of the Victor K2 opposite SHQ. Seemed strange to think that the Tornadoes there now are older than the Victors were when I was there in the early 70s. Then on to Swaffham and saddened to see how much Swaffham market had shrunk in the intervening years. By chance we met a Cornish woman who had moved to Swaffham about the time we moved to Cornwall. Said she never regretted the move and wouldn't go back to Cornwall, so that's one more vote for Norfolk.

(Mind you, she came from Camborne ;))

ian16th
4th Jun 2016, 08:19
TTN
Went up to Kings Lynn for a 214 reunion recently

Was that a 214 Sqdn Association event, or something less formal by the guys of your era?

Tankertrashnav
4th Jun 2016, 08:36
Ian, it was a small scale do arranged by one of the crew chiefs from the K1 period. Actually the association were a bit miffed apparently, but I didn't see the problem if someone wanted to organise something in the local area, as the association meetings are now in Derby for reasons which escape me!

reds & greens
4th Jun 2016, 09:05
Loved it.
Spent summer of 82 to the summer of 86 there on 55 Sqn.
Without doubt (as an engineer, a career highlight).
Wife and 2 young girls, open mind and capitalised on everything on offer.
Left there under a cloud to start 14yrs on those electronic, noisy, pointy, mud moving things (Laarbruch though)!

My memorable quote:
"Only one hill in Narfok, 'n sum bugga built a runway up 't side o it..."

ian16th
4th Jun 2016, 09:18
My memorable quote:
"Only one hill in Narfok, 'n sum bugga built a runway up 't side o it..."

One advantage, if you took a driving test in Lynn, you knew that the 'pulling away on an incline' was going to be done on the bridge over the railway line!

They didn't have any proper hills, and the bridge wasn't very steep.

ian16th
4th Jun 2016, 09:20
TTN,

I see no problem.

The Boy Entrants Association encourages Entry, Trade and Area reunions.

I asked as I had not heard anything from the 214 Association.

Al R
20th Jul 2016, 19:29
By the looks of it, there's a spot of bother going on at Marham.

Norfolk Constabulary: RAF Marham incident (http://www.norfolk.police.uk/newsandevents/newsstories/2016/july/rafmarhamincident.aspx)

ian16th
19th Oct 2016, 12:29
A reason for being at Marham this year.

The One Town that Worships England's Worst Monarch (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/articles/king-john-trail-kings-lynn-the-wash/)

dkh51250
19th Oct 2016, 12:51
Do the locals still dance naked around the sugar beet on certain nights of the year? As a founder member of the RAF Marham Mountain Rescue Team, I have fond memories of lazing away many summers.

ian16th
19th Oct 2016, 15:11
Marham and Mountains are not often used in the same sentence.

In KL, the 'starting of an incline' in your driving test was done on the bridge over the railway line.

There were no natural inclines!

argyle
20th Oct 2016, 08:59
Fond memories of Marham and 214. I was an electrician on the line from late 1969 to 71.
Worked hard, but a great squadron. Good detachments. I remember that the rest of the station called us RAF Swaffham as we were nearer the market than the HQ.
Also played for the station rugby team.
Good times.

Tankertrashnav
20th Oct 2016, 09:20
We may have just overlapped, Argyll, as I joined 214 in May 71. As you say a good squadron with a reputation for enjoying itself, "214 - hoot and roar" as the saying went.

cliver029
20th Oct 2016, 09:32
Do the locals still dance naked around the sugar beet on certain nights of the year? As a founder member of the RAF Marham Mountain Rescue Team, I have fond memories of lazing away many summers.
DKH51....

Are you sure you are not confusing that with the duty crew being chased by the local farmers having raided the ajoining fields for bags of potatoes on dark and stormy nights.......allegedly

ian16th
20th Oct 2016, 09:41
Argyle,

Did that dispersal ever get flush toilets?

We had the dispersal nearest to the Bomb Dump, but when we successfully completed the IFR trials were officially an operational 'Tanker Sqdn'. 49 Sqdn was posted into Marham to make the Wing back up to 3 Sqdn's and they were given our dispersal next to the bomb dump and we moved to RAF Swaffam.

The use of Elsan's greatly increased the value of my Class 'C' license for the RVT!

If you needed a dump, an excuse to visit the Electronics Centre was quickly invented.

Now there a 3 of us, shall we have a virtual reunion?

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/ian16th/214%20Sqdn%20Crest%20bampw.jpg

NRU74
20th Oct 2016, 11:13
argyle,
RAF Swaffham ? Crossie christened it 'Beachamwell Static' (and the name stuck!)

rogera
15th Aug 2017, 08:25
I had an appointment in Norwich over the weekend so indulged my passion for military aviation by driving past Scampton, Waddington, and Cranwell on the way down, and visited Marham on the way back. I was surprised how remote Marham is considering it is one of the RAF's few remaining main operating bases

ian16th
15th Aug 2017, 08:43
In my time, it was known as 'El Adem with grass'.

Ogre
15th Aug 2017, 09:52
I was surprised how remote Marham is considering it is one of the RAF's few remaining main operating bases

Slight thread drift, when I got posted to Coningsby we had our arrivals brief from the Padre. He started off telling us it was one of the biggest RAF stations with almost 1500 personnel (I'd just come down from Kinloss, 2300 at the time) and that the biggest attraction was that it was so close to the A1.

"So close" meant 40 minutes drive, so either Padre was taking the p!ss or he needed to get out more....

Bladdered
15th Aug 2017, 11:40
I had an appointment in Norwich over the weekend so indulged my passion for military aviation by driving past Scampton, Waddington, and Cranwell on the way down, and visited Marham on the way back. I was surprised how remote Marham is considering it is one of the RAF's few remaining main operating bases

Remote, how jolly dare you - its close to Swaffham :ok:

Pontius Navigator
15th Aug 2017, 11:41
Ogre, at least one thing has changed. There are more people but the A1 ain't closer. At least it is MUCH quieter now. In fact too quiet, hardly seen the Land this year.

Wander00
15th Aug 2017, 13:20
If you think Marham is remote, you should have been at Watton.....

Vendee
15th Aug 2017, 13:32

Watton is quite a busy little town. Marham is just a sh!thole (IMHO).

ian16th
15th Aug 2017, 13:48
Coningsby at least had 2 railway stations within walking distance.

Pre-Beeching that was :rolleyes:

gr4techie
15th Aug 2017, 15:01
Marham is the worst place I've been to.

I'm surprised there's nothing outside the camp, nothing. No restaurant, cafe, takeaway or pub. Just the typical Spar shop across the road from the MQ's. At least Coningsby has something in its village.

If you don't have a car you're screwed as civilisation isn't within walking distance. Theres no train station and the bus takes a circular tour around the whole of Norfolk before it eventually arrives at King Lynn a considerable time later. Theres no train in the straight line from Kings Lynn to Norwich, you have to go way south, change trains, then come back north-east.

The A17 road out of there is not fit for purpose as it can't handle the volume of traffic, getting to the A1 on a friday is a bad experience.

The biggest memory I have of Marham is, peoples highlight of their week was sitting in the small lounge of bowling alley on a friday.

cliver029
15th Aug 2017, 15:10
..............And do not forget the smell from the Sugerbeet factory at Wissington when the wind was in the right/wrong direction

argyle
15th Aug 2017, 15:20
Anybody remember the time that the HTP tanks ruptured and the fuel ignited, the grass started to burn. The flames were racing down toward 9 tankers of 214.
I think the year was 1970. Also an American Super Sabre nearly wiped out the squadron when the pilot ejected and the aircraft veered toward the line.
Exciting times.

langleybaston
15th Aug 2017, 15:54

Topcliffe Met. make phone call to Met. at said Watton c. 1964, reply ......

"Watton here"

"It's ****ty here too!" Hangs up .................

Wrathmonk
15th Aug 2017, 16:14
I was surprised how remote Marham is

Probably just as well given the aircraft type that is moving in there shortly.

FantomZorbin
16th Aug 2017, 06:56
LangleyB. At least at Topcliffe there was "The Shoulder of Mutton" with its turkey & stuffing rolls!

Easy Street
16th Aug 2017, 10:25
I assume that most junior officers own a car so the point that "you need a car" at Marham, while true, is presumably aimed at JRs. So I would be genuinely interested to see a list of locations to which a JR could reasonably expect to be assigned at which the lack of a car would not be considered a problem. A few lucky ones at Northolt and MOD aren't really representative of the majority. Waddington, Brize, Odiham and Benson I should imagine are OK but how much do you spend on taxis before buying an old car becomes better value?

When I spent time at Marham I lived about 35 minutes' drive away near Ely. That is actually IN civilisation, an hour to London by rail and jobs galore for the spouse in Cambridge only 10 miles away. Some might wince at a 35 minute commute; anyone working in a city would bite your arm off for it, especially when half the cost is covered by HDT.

FAStoat
16th Aug 2017, 10:40
When Marham's runways closed briefly in early 80s for PreTonka lengthening/strengthening,people moved across to the very secretive USAF at RAF Sculthorpe.What do you think that was like??

langleybaston
16th Aug 2017, 10:58
LangleyB. At least at Topcliffe there was "The Shoulder of Mutton" with its turkey & stuffing rolls!.

Truth to tell I enjoyed Topcliffe. Fot three years I alternated between permanent post Leeming detached to Topcliffe, then vice-versa. The Topcliffe Met. staff were superb, a lot of fun, and a lot of expertise. On top of that the customers were very interesting and Thirsk was a good place to live. Quite a few Polish aircrew, with unpronounceable names ......... I fear that I christened Flt Lt ****slinger and M Plt Smackyerarse among others.

cliver029
16th Aug 2017, 12:03
"When I spent time at Marham I lived about 35 minutes' drive away near Ely..[/QUOTE]"

Try doing that trip to RAF hospital Ely on a Icy foggy night in December when wife is in final stages of labour with second son:D.

Sequel to that, many years later said wife then went to work at then NHS Hospital Ely in the same ward now converted into offices!

Cliver029

Wander00
16th Aug 2017, 14:30
cliver029 Does your wife remember a lovely doctor called John Dupere - had been in the RAF then NHS at Ely. Delivered no 2 son, but sadly took his own life over NHS underfunding - and that was 40 odd years ago.

PapaDolmio
16th Aug 2017, 19:08
My counter to the youngsters when moaning about how isolated Marham was....

"You should have been at Binbrook!"

glad rag
16th Aug 2017, 19:21
I've never seen so many SAC's driving top line Merc's and BMW's.

Credit Crunch?What Credit crunch!!

MACH2NUMBER
16th Aug 2017, 20:26
Ah, Binbrook, remote, but best Officers Mess in the UK. For those who knew it, don't go back it is a sad derelict site.

Dan Winterland
17th Aug 2017, 04:03
A lot of people go on holiday to Norfolk - including the Queen. One reason the area has stayed relatively unspoilt (underdeveloped?) is that it's bloody hard to get to. My parents met at a Xmas draw at Marham in 1958 and Mum still lives locally. I was posted there 1988-1990. I love going back to visit. It's so peaceful and the locals are very friendly - when they're not pointing shotguns at you that is!

Tashengurt
17th Aug 2017, 06:46
[QUOTE]locals are very friendly - when they're not pointing shotguns at you that is!/QUOTE]

Must be tricky getting those webbed fingers through the trigger guards

Pontius Navigator
17th Aug 2017, 07:09
Tashe, that is where a second thumb comes on handy

BEagle
17th Aug 2017, 07:39
Ah yes, rural Naaarfak... Where your sister is your mother and your brother is your wife....and the traditional greeting is a 'high six'!

A few years ago I drove over to visit one of my ex-students at her house in Marsham (not Marham). As it was a nice sunny day, I took a cross-country route...with the roof down.

I did wonder whether this was wise, having noted one local staring at me as I drove past - no doubt the 'fresh meat' message was relayed to the rest of the tribe by finger web drumming. So I kept an ear out for the sound of duelling banjos until I realised that the extra thumb would make that difficult.

We had a holiday on the Norfolk Broads in 1961 - which was great fun until some idiot rammed us and the boat sank. Fortunately we were at anchor at the time!

Mil-26Man
17th Aug 2017, 07:52
...until some idiot rammed us and the boat sank. Fortunately we were at anchor at the time!

Out of interest, what difference does it make if your boat is at anchor or not? If it sinks, it sinks.

Shackman
17th Aug 2017, 08:43
I rather enjoyed my time at Marham - arrived about midnight one dark night, dropped a Chinook load of paras dressed as Spetnaz and all carrying AK47's in the middle of the airfield and departed about 2 mins later, successfully frightening a couple of police dogs and their handlers in the process. Never went back but I don't think they enjoyed their Taceval!

scarecrow450
17th Aug 2017, 09:30
Happiness was seeing Marham in my rear view mirror after 3 years, and I done 5 years at Honington before that !

BEagle
17th Aug 2017, 10:21
Mil-26Man, perhaps I should have written 'were moored to the bank' at the time.

A sailing boat was coming down the broad under sail when the helmsman lost control of the sail and promptly turned 90° port directly towards our boat. I watched unable to do anything except warn everyone else as it rammed us amidships, allowing the river to rush in. I stepped off onto the bank and we all stood there watching as the boat slowly sank....

Why the helmsman didn't simply release the sail and put the helm over, we never did find out...

Bladdered
17th Aug 2017, 11:22
Best 2 years of my life - apart from Saxa Vord..........................:=

Wander00
18th Aug 2017, 09:24
Many years after I had served at Watton, I discovered that my birth mother came from Necton, and on take off, as I turned right at 500' she was just beneath me, but sadly we never met.

At one time I lived in Buxton Lamas, when I worked for Norfolk County Council, later Mrs W and I lived in the (Neatishead) MQ at Horsham St faiths and then at Little Snoring, so have seen quite a lot of Norfolk

pontifex
18th Aug 2017, 14:50
Having read all the nasty things the majority say about Marham, I can only conclude how lucky I was to have served for 7 years there on 214 Sqn. It was everything a squadron should be. I believe this applied to all ranks.

57mm
18th Aug 2017, 15:08
I live in Downham Market and I'm fed up with all this rubbish about us Norfolk folk. So, my three middle fingers to the lot of you.....:}

Tankertrashnav
18th Aug 2017, 17:57
Hear, hear Pontifex - only did five and a half myself but I loved it :ok: Maybe the poor sods who didn't have a good time were on 55 or 57!

The Oberon
18th Aug 2017, 18:18
I have very mixed feelings about Marham. It was my first and last posting, the first was awful, Valiants being chopped up one side of the airfield but still holding QRA on the other side. The second tour was probably the best UK tour I had, lots of detachments and best of all, 5 months on Ascension for Corporate.

Someone mentioned access, I used to commute Lincoln to Marham weekly and the A17 was horrendous. Two days ago I had a lunch appointment just south of Cromer, in 30 odd years nothing has changed, the A17 is still horrendous, even worse due to the increased traffic density.

Exrigger
18th Aug 2017, 18:18
Worse year and a bit of my life on 27 Squadron mid 80's, both from a personal and career perspective, I only went back once for 4 days, as a civvy, around 2010/11 looked totally different and the road signs being changed to BAE Marham was quite amusing to me at least.

Top West 50
18th Aug 2017, 21:41
57,214,232 OCU, and 55. Happy and irreplaceable days!

cliver029
19th Aug 2017, 10:49
Sorry I missed your email, but I've been ferrying grandchildren around.:)

My wife has no memory of your good doctor and as No2 son is now 46
it might have been a bit earlier than yours.

However further to earlier posts and having spent the previous 10 years moving around at her Majesty's pleasure
I then spent the last 4 at Marham with fond memories of 55 and XH648 in particular. There I said it:uhoh:

C

Wander00
19th Aug 2017, 13:48
Cliver 029 - no problem, although our sons are of an age, my sprog - sprog! is 44

ian16th
19th Aug 2017, 13:57
As I've said in another thread, I was at Marham twice, the 2nd time I ASKED to be posted there.

The 1st time I spent 3 years and 8 months on 214 Sqdn, the 2nd time 5 months prior to demob.

It does seem that those of us that were on 214, whether during the Valiant or Victor period, enjoyed our time more than those assigned elswhere on the Station.

Does this say something for the Sqdn?

ian16th
19th Aug 2017, 14:28
Having just posted my previous message, I sadly received this (http://www.pprune.org/Having just posted my previous message, I sadly received this in my e-mail.)in my e-mail.

Well I still have 2 sqdn ties, one ever so slightly beer stained from nearly 60 years ago and a replacement I got from the Sqdn Assoc.

Tankertrashnav
19th Aug 2017, 17:32
Your link doesn't appear to be working Ian (Page not found)

Meanwhile here's some old 8mm film of 214 Valiants for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLQD-LuCho

Rosevidney1
19th Aug 2017, 18:14
A three man crew on a Chipmunk would have made it rather cramped! I wonder which service the M/Sgt belonged to?

ian16th
19th Aug 2017, 21:45
Your link doesn't appear to be working Ian (Page not found)

Meanwhile here's some old 8mm film of 214 Valiants for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLQD-LuCho

Try this: http://www.214squadron.org.uk/Squadron%20Association/Nightjar/Nightjar_Summer_2017/Nightjar_Summer_2017.pdf

Thanks for the youtube link, I see the 8mm movie was taken by David Wright, he is the artist that provided the front piece for 'The Valiant Boys'.

I didn't see me at Karachi! A couple of the guys clambering aboard with Nav Bags had vaguely familiar faces.

I have a couple of Look at Life DVD's, that include a segment on 214 in the early days of IFR.

If I put extracts up on youtube, would I be in copyright trouble?

Vendee
20th Aug 2017, 09:16
Try this: http://www.214squadron.org.uk/Squadron%20Association/Nightjar/Nightjar_Summer_2017/Nightjar_Summer_2017.pdf

I have a couple of Look at Life DVD's, that include a segment on 214 in the early days of IFR.

If I put extracts up on youtube, would I be in copyright trouble?

I'm not a lawyer but I would imagine that if you put your clips on youtube and clearly identify the copyright holder in the description then the worst that would happen is that they would ask you to remove them. In all likelihood, no one will bother if you are being honest about the source and are only putting up clips, not the whole DVD

I remember a few years ago when I ran a "British Jet Engine" website, I had scanned and reproduced several diagrams from the Rolls Royce book "The Jet Engine". After a couple of years I got a nice email from Rolls Royce pointing out that the diagrams belonged to them but they acknowledged that my web site was a non commercial enthusiasts site. They said that if I asked formally to publish the diagrams and annotated them "© Rolls Royce Ltd" then I could continue using them. They were very good about it.

ian16th
20th Aug 2017, 12:25
I've extracted the 8 or 9-minute item.
It is called Pipeline, it is evenly split with the 1st half about the RN refuelling at sea. But it is a carrier they refuel!

With my colonial barbed wire & wet string Internet connection it should be uploaded by about 13:45 GMT.

There are several familiar faces in it, but after the intervening half century the only name that I can remember with certainty is the Squadron Leader drawing a line from Kano to Cape Town was John 'Johnny' H Garstin. He was the captain of the a/c that did the 1st none stop flights to and from Singapore and the 18 hour around UK 'dry run' for the Singapore flight.

At the time the 18hr flight was the longest for a jet a/c, a week or so later the USAF did us the honour of taking the record back.

When the upload is finished I'll post the URL.

ian16th
20th Aug 2017, 13:51
The video is up on youtube, the URL is:
https://youtu.be/BImmtqe5xbg

Tankertrashnav
20th Aug 2017, 17:13
Terrific Ian, I haven't seen that one before. Interesting that they are still using the old solid drogue which was replaced by the type with alloy strakes which opened out in the airstream. The Look at Life people were taking a few liberties - hoping that we wouldn't notice that the "bomber base" and the "tanker base" were both Marham! All in a good cause though.

Rosevidney1
20th Aug 2017, 18:28
Thank you ian16th. I'd not seen it either. Nice crisp copy.

Fareastdriver
20th Aug 2017, 18:46
Interesting that they are still using the old solid drogue

Older than 1962. The drogue on the Valiant was the original flat fronted probe. Those was changed to the standard NATO probe which had a rounded nose.

The underwing tanks held 12,000 lbs. of fuel each. At the top of descent the checklist called for the residual fuel to be jettisoned. My self-appointed task was to hoard as much fuel in them as possible so as to leave a nice white cloud over the coast.

Unfortunately this would leave insufficient fuel to pound the circuit for ages so we would then end up in the bar.

goudie
20th Aug 2017, 18:57
Good to see c/techs with a crown and stripes the 'right' way up.In those days they were 'gods' to lesser mortals, of which I was one

ian16th
20th Aug 2017, 20:58
Pleased that y'all like it.

I was in front of the cameras several times, but I seem to have ended on the cutting room floor, as they say!

So ended my acting career. Holywood never knew what it missed.

ian16th
20th Aug 2017, 21:10
Older than 1962. The drogue on the Valiant was the original flat fronted probe. Those was changed to the standard NATO probe which had a rounded nose.

I can't remember the date it happened, but it was filmed at 214's 'old' dispersal, near the bomb dump.

It can be roughly dated if anyone knows when 49 Sqdn moved to Marham.

When we ceased doing trials and became the 1st operational tanker sqdn, 49 Sqdn was posted to Marham to make up the 3 sqdn Wing. Seeing as they were a 'bomber' sqdn it made sense to give them our dispersal and we moved to a point on the airfield quite close to Swaffham. When we got there we discovered the lack of running water and drains. We had tanked water and Elsan toilets.

At this time I discovered the real value of a Class 'C' licence for the Morris RVT and excuses to visit the Electronics Centre.

Jobza Guddun
20th Aug 2017, 23:33
It can be roughly dated if anyone knows when 49 Sqdn moved to Marham.

26 June 1961 Ian.

JG

ian16th
21st Aug 2017, 09:20
26 June 1961 Ian.

JG
Isn't Pprune wunnerful? A veritable gold mine of data.

So seeing as in the Look @ Life video the use of Karachi is mentioned and I know that the 1st time we went there was for the flight to Changi, 'cos I was there, I seemed to get lumbered with Karachi :mad:, and we were away over Whitsuntide May 1960, we can now date the video to within that 13 month period.

pontifex
21st Aug 2017, 10:31
Ian16th

My logbook tells me that 49 moved to Marham on June 28 1961.

ian16th
21st Aug 2017, 11:11
Ian16th

My logbook tells me that 49 moved to Marham on June 28 1961.
So was Jobza Guddun in the advance party?

Jobza Guddun
21st Aug 2017, 19:31
Ian,

No, looked it up on the association web page for you. I didn't arrive at Marham until nearly 41 years later :ok: