PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday RM

Treadstone1
28th Oct 2014, 07:40
Happy Birthday to the Royal Marines...350 today....

"The Few" "The Proud"...

GreenKnight121
28th Oct 2014, 08:17
You are confusing mottos here...

"Per Mare, Per Terram" is the motto of the RMs - and while "Semper Fidelis" is the official motto of the USMC, "The Few and The Proud" (also stated as "The Few, The Proud, The Marines") has been the recruiting motto of the USMC for at least 40 years (as seen on posters for at least that long).

And yes, the 28 October 1664 formation of "the Duke of York and Albany's maritime regiment of foot" is considered the generation of the concept of marine soldiers as a separate body from either the army or navy (and thus the start of the Royal Marines) - however it was only on 5 April 1755 that His Majesty's Marine Forces were formally chartered by Order of Council under Admiralty control.

Similarly, while a "Corps of Marine Soldiers" was formed by a resolution of the Second Continental Congress on 10 November 1775, that Corps was disbanded in April 1783. The institution itself would not be resurrected until 11 July 1798, when, in preparation for the Quasi-War with France, Congress created the United States Marine Corps (thus formalizing the body of men enlisted under the "Act to provide a Naval Armament" of 18 March 1794, which specified the numbers of Marines to be recruited for each frigate).

But just as my fellow US Marines hold to 10 November 1775 and Tun Tavern in Philadelphia (place of the first US Marine enlistment paper signings) as its birth day and place, so do the Royal Marines hold (rightly) to 28 October 1664 and the grounds of the the New Artillery Gardens south of Bunhill Fields Burial Ground on City Road, London (home of the Artillery Company*) as its birth day and place.

* Know known as the Honourable Artillery Company, it can trace its history back as far as 1087, but it received a Royal Charter from Henry VIII on 25 August 1537, when Letters Patent were received by the Overseers of the Fraternity or Guild of St George authorising them to establish a perpetual corporation for the defence of the realm to be known as the Fraternity or Guild of Artillery of Longbows, Crossbows, and Handgonnes. This body was known by a variety of names until 1656, when it was first referred to as the Artillery Company. It was first referred to as the Honourable Artillery Company in 1685 and officially received the name from Queen Victoria in 1860.

GreenKnight121
28th Oct 2014, 08:18
In any case - congratulations to my UK older brothers on 350 years of illustrious service.

Jon A. - former Sgt, USMC.

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2014, 09:48
As the godson of a Booty I wish all those who have graduated from Lympstone a very happy day.

Honourable Artillery Company, And often referred to as the Henries and Carolines. The HAC is now a TA regiment in the City of London and likes to recruit young men who perceive themselves as upper class ;)

woptb
28th Oct 2014, 10:22
Still the finest body of fighting men who like to dress as 'ladies' :}

Treadstone1
28th Oct 2014, 11:53
Green Knight 121,

Thanks for the Corps history lesson, i served in the Royal Marines from 1974 till 2003 a total of 29 years, so i am fully aware what the motto of the Corps is thanks.. Its just a play on words as we are still only the "Few...and the Proud... and British..

Finnpog
28th Oct 2014, 18:02
BZ Royal Marines :ok:

Lima Juliet
28th Oct 2014, 20:50
Hoofing! :ok: