PDA

View Full Version : Plane crash Sunshine Coast 3 lost ?

mcoates
27th Oct 2014, 19:23
Listening to live ATC tonight from Europe and there was a terrible loss of a plane with 3 POB.

Really strange calls from the pilot sounded like super drunk or stressed slow, slow calls, really labored voice.

Structural damage to plane from 'hitting a foreign object' VH-TLV call sign.

ATC did a good job under real stress. You can download the audio from the internet, its just terrible...

Pilot trying to talk himself up, 4,000 hours local area, former military pilot etc.. He goes into absolute overload, cant work out simple tasks or calculations as stress shuts him down.

Ask ATC to tell his wife he loves them etc...

Fire warning, hydraulic loss, dutch rolling, sets off fire extinguishers, cant see panel through smoke, then calls 900 feet, opens windows, all quiet, crying, cant see, cant see, all quiet again.... Calls "were gone" about 6 times, then its all over.

flywatcher
27th Oct 2014, 19:59
TLV given as c185 ex Wynyard, Tasmania, no hydraulics, no fire warning equipment ????

mcoates
27th Oct 2014, 20:18
Dont shoot the messenger.....

wishiwasupthere
27th Oct 2014, 20:22
Dont shoot the messenger.....

So where's the link to these ATC recordings?

There's nothing on any of the news websites.

mcoates
27th Oct 2014, 20:26
go here ATC Audio Archives | LiveATC.net (http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php)

select 27th date then BNE Gnd/Twr/App/Dep then select time 1330-1400 Z for most of the action but it goes over a few hours, just chilling !

Creampuff
27th Oct 2014, 20:56
Oh the humanity :rolleyes:

mcoates
27th Oct 2014, 21:10
mmm starting to sound sus to me after listening to more tape. Now listening to 14.30 to 15.00

Apparently a wedgetail from Williamtown was scrambled before the crash and they came up the coast without Data link or Transponder operational ? The guy they were speaking to sounded like the pilot of the downed plane and certainly not a professional airforce search and rescue operator. Brisbane couldnt get a radar fix on the wedgetail (which is a big plane) and then rescue 500 was searching and given info about how it could be hoax ??

If its a hoax someone needs to go to jail !

wishiwasupthere
27th Oct 2014, 21:26
Definitely a hoax. Wedgetail is not even a SAR platform. You might want to change the thread title too.

yr right
27th Oct 2014, 21:47
He was using super top secret stealth mode. That's why he could not be seen !!!

CaptainEmad
27th Oct 2014, 23:55
Our 'Wedgetail at FL410" Sounds like a bogan on drugs with a hand-held.

:yuk:

Capt Fathom
28th Oct 2014, 00:39
No doubt now salivating on pprune to read of his exploits!

Maybe the Original Poster might consider deleting the thread ??

Squawk7700
28th Oct 2014, 00:47
I can't help but think that the controller / ATC knew that he was a fake and strung him along (keeping in mind there's a remote chance that it could have been real) and then alerted authorities to head to his suspected location. I know from the past that AirServices have personnel that they can engage to track down dodgey transmitters. At a guess you'd need the Dornier or HEMS to track him down from the air. What an absolute tosser.

I'm happy for the thread to stay. Perhaps we can talk about how he should be sentenced.

The poor ATC guy was starting to sound like the "pilot" after a while.

Some strange comments from the "pilot." He certainly is creative.

"We are casting for up and coming events in your city."

Then he pretends to be the Wedgetail pilot saying: (seemingly he has convinced the female ATC)

"We have a particular piece of equipment that can devise a laser map of underwater topography."

"We have to return to base."

"We have got contact of interest, a boat, and are watching it very closely."

"Well fitted out, appears to be white, although we are looking at it through infra-red so it's hard to know. (it was) loitering in the area before the incident."

- After all that, she simply acknowledges the calls from "Wedgetail 07."

Rescue 500 then comes on the radio acknowledging that it could be a hoax but they are treating it that it could be real.

I hope they send him a big fat bill when they find him. Tosser.

tipsy2
28th Oct 2014, 00:59
If there had been a situation as described occur on the Sunny Coast then the local fish and chip wrapper that masquerades as a newspaper would have gone into salivating overdrive. It would have trotted out the work experience kiddies to write various articles for them.

As there is no word from that particular journalistic edifice, either the story is not true or they haven't woken up yet.

tipsy:ok:

wishiwasupthere
28th Oct 2014, 01:05
There was a young fella in Perth that pulled a stunt like this a few years ago. Eventually the Feds caught up with him. Not sure what sort of punishment it was, probably a slap on the wrist considering our poor excuse for a legal system.

RatsoreA
28th Oct 2014, 01:08
I do wonder how exactly they would find such and individual though?

Anybody with a computer can buy a hand held airband iCom?!

CaptainEmad
28th Oct 2014, 01:27
These kind of individuals usually can't help themselves - they have to tell one of their equally deranged mates what a legend they are. He will be caught.

So to the pond-scum that devised this 'joke', the Rescue guys had to launch at night on a SAR.
It's hazardous work, it costs big dollars, it stresses ATC.

It's not their F@¢)<1ng HOBBY.

Username here
28th Oct 2014, 01:55
Listening to live ATC tonight from Europe and there was a terrible loss of a plane with 3 POB.

Just happened to be sitting in Europe listening to Brisbane Centre's midnight feed did we?

If I was the Feds you're the first chop I'd be looking at...

fujii
28th Oct 2014, 02:17
The OP did not say he/she was in Europe, just listening to a link from Eurpoe. OP's location shown as Australia.

Squawk7700
28th Oct 2014, 02:28
That is funny :rolleyes:

The op is the biggest aircraft importer into Australia. He has better things to do :ok:

Stikybeke
28th Oct 2014, 05:11
Maybe this A grade F###wit has moved to the East Coast....As you can see he's got form for this and as we all know, old habits etc etc....

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/6525694/boat-hoax-man-admits-fake-distress-call/

Stiky
:ugh:

mcoates
28th Oct 2014, 06:18
Greetings, yes I am in Europe, have been for about 3 weeks with another 4 weeks to go doing some training courses and aircraft certification.

I was only listening to the air traffic control feed because the only English television channel, CNN was on its 2nd loop and I had exhausted just about every other bookmark related to aviation. I occasionally listen to a traffic control in my local area when travelling, it is kind of a way to beat homesickness when you hear Australian voices and places and names that you recognise.

It now seems that this is/was a huge hoax, I have not listened a 2nd time but it is obvious that the original aircraft in distress is the same person broadcasting as wedgetail. Things started to go strange for me when not only did the voice sound same but the quality of transmissions was about the same, wedgetail suddenly appeared without notice somewhere south of the Gold Coast after being scrambled from Newcastle, this is one of Australia's latest and greatest aviation platforms and yet the radio was crap quality, the guy was making mistakes even though he is meant to be fully trained by the air force and so on.

A lot of wasted resources, time and money. I personally feel for the air traffic control operator who did a terrific job under the circumstances and now after the event is probably feeling both cheated and relieved. You could see he invested a lot of himself in these radio calls and this is one thing that really pisses me off, interestingly he was removed from the console shortly after the aircraft "crashed"

If the person who did this is reading the thread, good luck to you! You will get caught and hopefully you will get a huge fine and hopefully jail time.

Ultralights
28th Oct 2014, 06:28
i decided it was a hoax when the supposed wedgetail callsign was "wedgetail"

somehow i doubt that...

wishiwasupthere
28th Oct 2014, 06:33
Early on he (henceforth known as 'the d!ckhead') mentioned he was in a Mooney, when a 10 second search of Google shows that the callsign he was using is in fact for a Cessna 185. For the ATC'ers, is there any procedure once an aircraft calls up with difficulty on the radio to check the register (to confirm aircraft type, operator, owner?).

wishiwasupthere
28th Oct 2014, 06:37
i decided it was a hoax when the supposed wedgetail callsign was "wedgetail"

somehow i doubt that...

Actually, that is their callsign on civil ATC frequencies.

During Vietnam, 2SQN used the callsign Magpie, but that's now used by 75SQN Hornets, so I guess Wedgetail was the next most obvious, albeit unimaginative option.

Ultralights
28th Oct 2014, 06:49
it might be wedgetailas well, the times i have heard wedgetail aircraft, they have used other callsigns.

Capt Fathom
28th Oct 2014, 08:14
This has been mentioned briefly, however I think it needs restating.

I do believe the ATCers involved deserve a huge pat on the back. It is no doubt obvious that at some stage they became aware they were dealing with a hoax, but calmly continued to entertain this fool whilst going about their normal duty of controlling other aircraft.

Well done guys and girls! :D

kaz3g
28th Oct 2014, 08:58
wishiwasupthere....

There was a young fella in Perth that pulled a stunt like this a few years ago. Eventually the Feds caught up with him. Not sure what sort of punishment it was, probably a slap on the wrist considering our poor excuse for a legal system.

You are an expert in legal systems, wiwut?

I don't know anything about the incident, or the offender or the circumstances, or the sentence. I'm just like lots of other people who read of these things in the media in that regard.

All I know is that a false report is worth up to 2 years and a conviction makes it extremely likely there will also be an order for restitution of all the costs incurred as a consequence of the crime. Doubtless, there were other charges, too.

Kaz

Mail-man
28th Oct 2014, 09:16
Sunshine Coast plane crash hoax sparks massive search | brisbanetimes.com.au (http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/sunshine-coast-plane-crash-hoax-sparks-massive-search-20141028-11d9xd.html)

mcoates
28th Oct 2014, 09:23
Hi Kaz, but will the person plead out on mental grounds, ruined life, upset stomach etc....

There was a huge waste of resources last night, there were stresses on ATC personnel who I think at the time genuinely thought they were dealing with a real person and a real aircraft in difficulty. To say over and over "I'm gone" has an effect on every person who listens to the broadcast and I am sure to the ATC controller.

It is just a sad way to entertain yourself late night and early morning and the person responsible really does need some help.

Each time something like this happens and the pilot is not sounding like a real pilot, but someone similar to the character last night, we may get a situation where ATC does not take the situation seriously and we end up with a real fatality possibly. I would hope that ATC takes every report seriously without reservation until proven otherwise.

In retrospect thinking about this much later it is easy to pick holes in everything and identify it as a hoax but at the time when you are listening live and these things are happening you get caught up in the emotion. Added to the fact that aircraft like Singapore airlines identified a beacon and a location as a third-party report gave everything real credibility. If this nutter not only has VHF radio but also an EPIRB (one of the new 406 MHz types with inbuilt GPS) I respectfully suggest that he registers the beacon properly before he uses it next time.

I am just so appreciative of ATC and the controller in particular and hope that he suffers no ill effects from this dangerous and stupid prank.

Flying Binghi
28th Oct 2014, 09:23
Hmm... probably an ADS-B salesman trying to speed things up..:hmm:

...or, something big happening in Brisy shortly, trail run, divert resources and all that.....

wishiwasupthere
28th Oct 2014, 10:02
By some of the things he said (radar LSALTs, radials, etc) I suspect he has some flying experience. I imagine he may even be reading this forum. Hopefully he'll be seeing the inside of a cell before too long.

kaz3g
28th Oct 2014, 10:43
Hi Kaz, but will the person plead out on mental grounds, ruined life, upset stomach etc....

Hi Michael...I guess my point was that we who don't sit and listen to al the evidence, including evidence of mental health and similar issues, aren't in a position to be able to make a judgment call.

I know I have clients who have had horrific life experiences from childhood...sexual and physical abuse, privation, psychological torture, severe psychotic episodes and more...Their ability to make rational decisions regarding their behaviour and consequently their culpability is diminished.

I don't know anything about this guy but experience says that something is likely to be seriously wrong in his head. A psych ward may be more appropriate than a cell but I don't know. That's what magistrates and judges are for.

I am just so appreciative of ATC and the controller in particular and hope that he suffers no ill effects from this dangerous and stupid prank.

Me too, Michael and I agree with almost all of what you say here. It is a criminally stupid thing to do and I have confidence that the perpetrator will be dealt with appropriately.

Kaz

Desert Flower
28th Oct 2014, 12:32
Really strange calls from the pilot sounded like super drunk or stressed slow, slow calls, really labored voice.

Classic symptoms of hypoxia!

DF.

Gemini Twin
28th Oct 2014, 19:02
Wake up Desert Flower.

rioncentu
28th Oct 2014, 20:59
The D***kead obviously knows something about aviation. That is the scary part. What a complete waste of prefessionals' time.

Squawk7700
28th Oct 2014, 21:19
If he wasn't hypoxic then, he will be when the authorities wring his neck :ok:

Desert Flower
28th Oct 2014, 21:49
Wake up Desert Flower.

OK smartarse, so I posted that before I read further. But have you ever heard someone who is hypoxic? If you have, then you would know that they are indeed the signs/symptoms. Back in the days of FS in Leigh Creek, one of the guys on duty recognised the signs in the pilot of a C172 coming in from Broken Hill, & directed him to descend to a lower level.

DF.

gobo207
25th Dec 2014, 14:50
Does anyone have a copy of the recording? It's past the 30 day hold and I'd be interested to listen to it.

Squawk7700
26th Dec 2014, 02:12
It wasn't much to listen to really, just a guy that sounded half intoxicated saying meaningless stuff like "my hydraulics are gone, there's smoke in the cockpit," etc etc.

bankrunner
27th Dec 2014, 07:51
I think I've run into a few of these types before in my volunteer emergency service days.

The type of person who wants to feel important, but usually has a learning difficulty or some other disability preventing them from doing much of value.

Joins the local RFS brigade and lights fires to give themselves something to do, gets caught out when people start wondering how they always manage to be the first person at the job no matter where it is around town.