PDA

View Full Version : ppl license type

stranger12
26th Oct 2014, 19:41
Hi All,

As you may seen from few of my posts , I am planning to do my ppl.

I have done around 6 hours and am a bit impaitent to do a minimum of 45 hours to get the full license , is it easa PPL ?

I am thinking of doing the one which is 25 hours and is the UK national license as I am not planing to travel outside the uk for a while NPPL.
After this I can rent plane and learn at discounted rate and then build hours ready for the easa PPL.

would you do that ?

what are the differences in terms of exam ?
I think with UK one you only do 3-4 exam rather than 7.

I know I have to learn cross wind landing and navigation and all others, would that still be the same with nppl ?
also would the hours is what matters so from 25 to 45 simply rent and fly or no I would need extra training ?

many thanks for your help

xrayalpha
26th Oct 2014, 20:09
Hi,

You have four choices:

EASA SEP

LAPL

NPPL SSEA

NPPL Microlight

There are threads and threads and threads about all the different options and attractions, many of them on the first page of Pprune in this section. Just look for NPPL and LAPL!

But simply: you have had six hours of lessons. Ask your instructor!

And if they can't explain how you can fly - or not - in 25 hours in a C42 and take 32 hours to do it as an NPPL and 40(-ish) as a LAPL and 45 as a SEP (except you won't be able to train it it for an EASA licence because it is an Annexe 2 aircraft) - then maybe you want someone else to tell you.

I'd be really interested to know what your instructor says: it seems, from the questions here, that there is hardly a single instructor in the UK who understands the air law about the licences they can - or cannot? - teach for!

stranger12
26th Oct 2014, 20:23
hmm i thought it is 25 but if 25 for microlight then it is pointless.

If I do 45 rather than 32 then I can get ratings and don't need to worry about keep going back and forth.

once I get ppl , can I fly microlights as well?

I have seen threads on conversion to microlight license but obviously I wouldn't want to trade my ppl for microlight if that is what it means.

i would have assumed ppl would mean you can do microlight, flex wing etc and all other, is that no correct?

I do ask my instructor but sometime think their suggestions or help is either short or biased

Dash8driver1312
26th Oct 2014, 21:20
Impatience and aviation...great mix.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

xrayalpha
26th Oct 2014, 23:30
Stranger,

In your first posts you said you wanted to be a commercial pilot.

So it is EASA SEP all the way.

Forget about anything else, get a Class One medical pronto and dump your flying school if they are being short with you.

You have a lot to learn! Focus, focus, focus!

ecosse
26th Oct 2014, 23:36
I was impatient like you, BUT once you get to the harder aspects circuit training and navigation you will realise that you will need those extra hours.

no shortcuts are good is what I've found out.

If you have the money sitting there(ie no cash flow problems) then you can do 2 things which will save you money and save you from getting impatient.

BUT!!.....

If you have, and I suspect this is the case, (been there) sat now and worked out what 45h @ £200 an hour or whatever its is going to cost you and are now figuring out what to do about it as you just don't want to pay or cant afford to pay the 15k YES 15k thats what your going to spend most likely!!!

There is another way NPPL(M) :)

This half's the cost to do your licence.

OR!! If you want to continue... in a spam can (or even if going micro) look at it this way....

1h a week at say the 65 weeks the average=13k

2h a week and this could be more like 50h so 10k and ONLY! 25weeks :ok:

Book 2 hours a week on the same day 1 in morning and one in afternoon and you will need a week for that to sink in, though on odd occasions you can have another fly hour that same week, you will have it done in no time.

dont let instructors tell you that 1h a week is enough... they want you to take your time... pay more... etc. doing 2 hours in same day forces progress but make sure you do one early and one after lunch.

Thats my advice:ok:

I was that impatient its took me since my first flight in 2009 till now to NEARLY get my licence.

Kenny

stranger12
27th Oct 2014, 21:15
thanks all for your advice.

I am not greatly concerned about cost as can afford it and I intially wanted to be commerial pilot but looking around and seeing how difficult it can be , I am not sure if I am prepared to take that route.

I have a well paid job and have a family so it is a bit to late to start paying £30K for commercial license after which I can not secure any job with 200 hours.

so still want to get there but have slowed down on the idea.

now mainly want to fly for pleasure and cheapest way for me is the idea.

I like to try micro, flex wing , normal light weight ones and in future get multiple engine rating but at this beginning stage want to do only light weight plane such as c152 or c172.

so after seeing this post , I think I will do my ppl rather than nppl but the questions I have in mind is as follow:

1.Do I need to fly regulary after getting my license to keep my skills ?

2.Can I fly micro, flex wing with ppl? I see notes on their website talking about convertion, I don't want to convert my ppl to fly flex wing or micro , I rather want to add on to it.

3.what do you consider the most difficult aspect in ppl? to me I think I have passed all the difficult bits after circuit but I may be very wrong hence why asking

many thanks

riverrock83
28th Oct 2014, 16:35
Firstly, you can get an EASA PPL when learning on an Annex II aircraft, so ignore that comment from earlier.

Secondly, if you have an EASA PPL with an SEP rating, you can fly a microlight once you have had conversion training. The hours in the microlight don't count towards maintaining your SEP rating which can be a gotcha for some (you will need to renew the SEP rating after 2 years to keep flying microlights) and I don't think count towards getting a commercial licence.

Yes - you should fly regularly to keep up your skills. If you are renting, renters normally put a minimum number of recent hours / flights required before they allow you to take an aircraft. Also you have to fly 3 take off / landings in the last 90 days to take passengers.

The hardest part varies per person. Me - memorising checks...

stranger12
28th Oct 2014, 16:44
so the microlight conversion , does it mean converting my license from Annex II planes to microlight or simply an addon ?

is flex wing seeing as micro light ?

riverrock83
28th Oct 2014, 17:25
Appologies - I've used the wrong wording.
I should have said "Differences Training".
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20804%20searchable.pdf
A Part-FCL licence with single-engine piston aeroplane privileges is not deemed to be rendered valid for a Microlight aeroplane unless the holder of the licence has undergone differences training in accordance with the Air Navigation Order, Section 2 of Part B of Schedule 7, appropriate for a Microlight aeroplane class rating. Refer to Section 5, Part A, Subpart 2, paragraph 3.11-3.13.

3.11.2 Microlight pilots wishing to convert between weightshift and 3-axis microlight control
systems, or to a microlight with more than one engine, shall undertake differences
training given by a flight instructor entitled to instruct on the microlight aeroplane on
which instruction is being given. The training must be completed, recorded in the pilot’s
personal flying log book and endorsed and signed by the instructor conducting the
differences training.
3.13 Exercising the privileges on Microlight aeroplanes on the basis of an SEP(Land) Class Rating
The holder of a UK issued licence or any Part-FCL licence with an SEP rating, may,
subject to differences training on the appropriate class with a suitably qualified instructor,
exercise the privileges of their licence on microlight aircraft. However, any experience
gained in microlight aircraft cannot be counted towards the flying experience necessary
to maintain the full SEP or TMG privileges.

Essentially - all you would need is training by an instructor, and then that instructor to sign your logbook to say you've had the training.

riverrock83
28th Oct 2014, 18:09
But see http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/545560-ppl-easa-nppl.html#post8715091

CAP804 and the actual law (See page 280 of http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20393%20June%202014.pdf ) are different...

Essentially - you wouldn't need the training if it is a 3 axis microlight, even though it would probably be a good idea, depending on the aircraft.