PDA

View Full Version : Third lesson, sick :-(

SAW77
26th Oct 2014, 18:27
Hi,

Had my third lesson today and was sick well near as ! And don't really no why as I've never had any sickness feeling before in my life be it flying, in a car or on a boat. This was my second lesson at this school, my first lesson was with another school a while back and had no problems with the flight and I felt great after it. Decided not to peruse it anymore until earlier this year where I found a local school and booked a trial lesson, again had no problem with the flight. Yes I felt a bit nervous sometimes but wasn't like oh my god I can't handle this get me back on the ground. So I booked some more with them, now because of the weather and other reasons it was put off five times and today I finally got to fly. I wasn't feeling nervous and had eaten well before the flight . I was in a smaller lighter aircraft so for my next lesson I'm going to try the other one again but now I'm feeling is it worth it as I know all I'm going to be thinking about on the next flight is 'will I be sick' feeling embarrassed is disheartened now :\

mary meagher
26th Oct 2014, 19:30
Don't worry. I had to take qwells for my first ten flights! each one of which was half an hour or more in a glider. The more I was handling the aircraft the less it was a problem, so near solo, no more pills required.

Don't let that very minor problem keep you grounded.

Mary

worrab
26th Oct 2014, 19:37
Feeling sick can be caused by a number of factors and it's not uncommon for people to look a little green at the end of their early lessons. Trial lessons are often half the length of normal ones so that may have been a factor for you. It's also quite windy today which can make progress somewhat bumpy. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Enjoy your flying and don't be afraid to tell your instructor if you feel poorly again. It's in no-one's interests to carry on a lesson with you feeling sick - you won't learn anything - and it may be that your instructor will do some exercises with you that are a little less stressful.

By the way, a sip or two of cold water prior to flying can work wonders.

mad_jock
26th Oct 2014, 19:53
Decent meal an hour before hand and drink a can of ginger beer during the brief.

tmmorris
26th Oct 2014, 19:58
I was sick every time I climbed out of the aeroplane for the first 5-6 lessons.

1. Talk to your instructor about it. Mine stopped throwing it around quite so much and recommended extra strong mints - to be eaten when feeling sick. Very effective.

2. Keep your head up and eyes outside. Your instructor will want this anyway.

3. Try to do as much yourself as possible, if your instructor will let you. Talk to him about it. The less he does, and the more he talks you through doing it instead, the better. See point 1...

Armchairflyer
26th Oct 2014, 20:59
In addition to/as an alternative to the ginger beer, try ginger capsules. Unlike other anti-sickness remedies, they are no problem for piloting. High dosages of vitamine C allegedly help, too, but unlike for the ginger capsules which "hardened" my stomach considerably during the first few lessons, I have no personal experience with the latter.

Tay Cough
26th Oct 2014, 21:09
You'll get used to it. Read Alan Cassidy's column in Loop magazine a couple of months ago (I can't remember which month exactly), which explains the physiology of it (in short, what your eyes see and what your balance organs feel are different. As a result, your body thinks it has been poisoned and tries to expel the poison hence :yuk:). Keeping an eye on the horizon as much as possible is also helpful.

In the meantime shortly before you go flying, drink a full fat Coke and eat a Mars bar. The above (ginger, etc) tries to prevent the sickness. This prevents the symptoms. The sugar will cause your blood flow to concentrate on your digestive system, preventing the initial symptom of "stomach awareness", if you like. It is analogous to the RAF chaps in the Second World War downing glucose syrup to prevent the same thing.

Also, practice these exercises if you fancy a challenge. It will take a couple of weeks but you'll never be airsick again. Just don't do them near furniture. :ok:

http://medind.nic.in/iab/t07/s1/iabt07s1p37.pdf

I was sick for years. I'm now addicted to aeros.

Blampe
26th Oct 2014, 21:09
I don't really think there is a trick with food or anything. Flying is a little different than driving on the ground, you will get used to it in a few hours! I had the same problem the first few hours.
Good luck!

SAW77
26th Oct 2014, 23:26
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'll let you know how the next lesson goes, hopefully the weekend.

9 lives
27th Oct 2014, 00:30
You'll get over it. One of my charges decades back was five years old when I started to fly him around - sick regularly. Now he's an Air Canada Captain, and flies a Pitts, a Mig jet, and some other odd jet type in airshows - he mastered it!

glendalegoon
27th Oct 2014, 02:43
tell me, were the first lessons in a PA28 aznd the sick lesson in a C150/152?

the type of airplane can make a difference in initial lessons

also

was your seatbelt fastened tightly enough to keep your butt in the seat or was it a littl eloose?

ginger ale (as we call it in the USA) is very helpful. remember too that when you go up, any gas in your stomach will expand.

SAW77
27th Oct 2014, 08:25
First lesson was a DA40, second was a PA28 and the third was a PS-28. all lessons were about an hour but the last one I was starting to feel I'll within 40-45mins :yuk:

jumbojet
27th Oct 2014, 08:57
My instructor only just managed to get the plane back on the grass strip at Denham during my trial lesson in the 1980's. I lept out, threw up, got back in & taxied to the club house!! I was mortified as all I wanted to do was fly since before I could walk. I started to take airsickness tablets & they seemed to work, however by lesson 5 they weren't required anymore. You build a tolerance to it & of course by lesson 5 your too busy to worry about motion sickness. It didn't slow my commercial carreer. It will sort it self out.

Whirlybird
27th Oct 2014, 08:59
You only felt sick. No problem. On my third lesson I threw up all over my instructor!!! Needless to say, he wasn't amused - though he did hide his annoyance quite well.

Things got better, and I ended up flying long distances in both f/w aircraft and helicopters, and instructing in the latter. Oh, and doing helicopter flight test articles for magazines, which sometimes involved throwing them around. I never got to like the throwing around stuff; I always got a little queasy, though it was manageable. But 'normal' flying - no problems.

You've been given good advice so far. I agree with all of it, but as an ex-instructor I would emphasise...tell your instructor! He'll fly you more gently, and also make sure he has a supply of sick bags for emergencies. It's nothing to be ashamed of; it's extremely common. And it will probably go away, or at least get a lot better.

Just one more thought... It's never happened to you before, in any form of transport? Perhaps you were just having a bad day, a minor stomach upset, or similar. Maybe you're worrying too much here.

Penny Washers
27th Oct 2014, 10:15
It was actually very rough on Sunday.

So if you got down all right, then you did very well!

SAW77
27th Oct 2014, 13:10
Do I have my next lesson in the PS-28 again which is what I'd like to learn in or go back to the PA28 ?

localflighteast
27th Oct 2014, 13:21
Been there. for various reasons I was no stranger to vomiting during my flight training.

Luckily never actually in the plane.

I made the epic mistake of thinking that if I didn't eat . I couldn't be sick

WRONG! It makes you feel a million times worse. Find a light meal that works for you. For me it was granola and greek yoghurt. carbs and protein. Oh and keep hydrated as well.

Make sure your instructor doesn't keep the heat up too much either. My instructor and I existed in different temperature zones. I needed it cool and he liked the heat.

we had to find a compromise but cooler is better when you are feeling a bit bleurgh

mad_jock
27th Oct 2014, 15:10
I used to keep the cockpit in artic conditions for the students. If needed I could always put a jumper on.

They never seemed to get cold :D

localflighteast
27th Oct 2014, 15:33
that's because you instructors make us sweat so much !!! :p

mad_jock
27th Oct 2014, 16:07
or all the hot air from the ****e we talk was keeping you warm.

Blues&twos
27th Oct 2014, 18:54
Was never sick flying 'normally' in any conditions, but was sick during the majority of my aerobatic flights. Definitely need to look outside!
I had to have the cockpit cold.

chrisbl
27th Oct 2014, 20:07
I gave a girl a trial lesson. about half way through she said she felt ill. I passed her the sick bag she filled it and the second one.

Undeterred, she decided to continue and is now in the solo cross country stage and never an airsickness symptom again.

I once had occasion where a students flying made ME feel sick. The remedy was to ask him to let go of the controls and as the aircraft flew on smoothly now nicely trimmed out everything settled down.

A valuable lesson learnt about overcontrolling.

mary meagher
28th Oct 2014, 16:01
I took my bank manager up for a ride and she began to feel unwell....we came down again rapidly but she still chucked her cookies....

The classic suggestion from the instructor to the sick student, if you forgot to make sure there was a sick bag in the plane. Just pull your T shirt up over your face and breath deeply...that's right, keep it there....KEEP IT THERE...!

ChickenHouse
28th Oct 2014, 17:09
You all had your human performance lessons before taking flight lessons?

It is not uncommon to have quite a learning edge before you understand your own physiology. Everybody is a bit different and it takes time to understand your own body(fluids and when they will greet you again upways).

Try to figure out under what circumstances you do not feel well. Is is nervous, is it hungry or fed up, better coffee or tea b4 T/O, one of my students cured it by one liter of Coke (which usually gave a biotechnical time limit for the first flights), for me it was an allergy causing in-ear irritation and found by surprise by the flight doctor ... So, relax and take your time to find your personal reason.

jayteeto
28th Oct 2014, 17:40
I have 7000+ hours. If I have 2 weeks off work, I always feel queasy on the first day back.
1, Don't worry about it 2, Have a decent breakfast and stay hydrated
3, Try not to leave too long between flights.

Good luck

glendalegoon
28th Oct 2014, 19:24
saw 77

listen buddy, I think the PA 28 is the way to go. not PS 28

I want you to get a little carbon monoxide detector too. sometimes exhaust gas gets into the cockpit and feeling sick might come from that.

there are little stick em carbon monoxide detectors that change color...also, was the cabin heat being used on the sick flight? IE was it cold enough to warrant using the heater?

I would pick the PA28 as my choice in learning to fly, I soloed in it 40 years ago or so. Great little plane , proven...just make sure it is well maintained.

oh, and buy: STICK AND RUDDER and read it half a dozen times.

Jon_D
29th Oct 2014, 00:35
In the sailing world we always suggest eating pineapple prior to sailing. It tastes just as good coming up as it did going down.:p

SAW77
2nd Nov 2014, 17:09
So had another lesson today, just under an hour but back in the PA28 and was absolutely fine :ok: only difference today was I wore a T shirt and had water before I went up.

So maybe the last lesson feeling rough was down to excitement, nerves plus the lighter aircraft and it was bumpier ? And I went up last week so a much shorter break between lessons ?

Going to try the lighter PS-28 Tuesday if the weathers good otherwise back in the PA28.

Sop_Monkey
2nd Nov 2014, 17:34
Many years ago and more years than I'd like to admit, I had a young student who was physically sick during the first lesson E of C's, threw him the bag. He was very apologetic. Thought he had blown the course. I got him solo in 5 hours flat.

Ya gotta have a full belly!! I recommend full, artery busting English. :}

gemma10
2nd Nov 2014, 19:14
Keep the cabin temperature to OFF and the air vents fully open, this aids concentration and helps avoid sickness. I felt heaps better when I did my solo with the little window open in a PA28. Still felt sick after the landing!

Mach Jump
2nd Nov 2014, 22:43
I got him solo in 5 hours flat. :eek:

MJ:ok:

Sop_Monkey
2nd Nov 2014, 23:04
Yes and I am aware there is a bit of a risk involved sending someone off that early. I was young myself at the time and the aerodrome lent itself to that sort of thing, I.E., large, grass and uncontrolled.

When I looked at a student's logbook in later years and noted the student had done some advanced exercises like steep turns, etc., for example before soloing I knew straight away he or she probably had a good instructor.

megan
3rd Nov 2014, 00:23
Experienced pilots quite often have a problem in the sim with queasiness. One very well known sim provider had an elastic band with a button sewn on. You slipped the band over the wrist with the button positioned on the inside of the wrist. They swore by it as a preventative measure.

jayteeto
5th Nov 2014, 14:17
Love the pineapple advice, but I wouldn't be able to say 'sure tasted better first time'

SAW77
10th Nov 2014, 09:42
Hi,

Just a quick delayed update from my lesson nearly a week ago ! Well no sick feeling at all and I was back in the PA-28 which I've decide to stick with now for training. I had a different instructor and he was brilliant and had such a laugh it was also the first time I got to fly over my house, old schools etc :-) I was in control most of the lesson, I even done my first landing with a little help from him on the rudder ! I wasn't expecting me doing the landing at all, I couldn't stop smiling for hours after that lesson :-)

localflighteast
10th Nov 2014, 15:50
great news.
I find that the more I'm flying the plane, the less likely I am to feel the need to hurl.

I'm glad you've overcome this obstacle and I know that feeling of "feet not touching the floor"all too well.

here's to many more happy hours in the plane!

733driver
10th Nov 2014, 16:49
Great news SAW77. Do you think the fact that you were really comfortable with your instructor might have helped? I don't think it has been mentioned here 2but in my opinion being scared (or uncomfortable with a situation) can trigger nausea in an aircraft. I had a similar situation many years ago with my first instructor whom I did not really have much confidence in. I changed instructors (turned out it was a good decision) and never looked back.