PDA

View Full Version : CASA Chief Executive

Dick Smith
21st Oct 2014, 01:44
Nothing appears to be happening in relation to a CASA Chief Executive. How long can it take?

I would imagine the Department is again pushing for an ex-RAAF / ex-airline pilot with no real GA business experience as the last three have been. This basically ensures no change at all - how sad for our industry.

Surely you would think there are people out there who have a vision of change and would be able to head CASA and introduce the changes to remove every unnecessary cost so our industry can boom again.

I suggested to the Minister that he have an independent selection panel for the CEO. I even gave the Minister some names of people in the industry (no, not including myself), however these suggestions have not been taken up.

As I see it, if we get a clone of the last three selected, we will know that we are doomed for another five years of stagnation and failure.

Moderators - please leave this as a separate thread.

Creampuff
21st Oct 2014, 02:05
Dick: you just don’t get it.

The person who gets the gig will just be a captive of the same regulatory Frankenstein that gobbled up his/her predecessors. That’s why the government wasn’t overwhelmed with 'acceptable' volunteers this time around.

At Senate Estimates last night, Mr MrDak said words to the effect that an announcement was expected in the next couple of weeks. (I will have to check the proof Hansard to confirm.)

I’m hoping against hope that the new DAS is Jonathan Aleck. He deserves the job.

Sarcs
21st Oct 2014, 02:11
Here you go Dick/Creamy it is not Hansard but it should suffice..:ok:

Estimates RRAT 20/10/14 - CASA Part 1 - YouTube

Soteria
21st Oct 2014, 05:04
I’m hoping against hope that the new DAS is Jonathan Aleck. He deserves the job.Wow, deserving is a big pat on the back Creampuff. I am curious as to why or what Aleck has done to deserve said position? By your own admission Creamy the current regs are a Frankenstein. This 'Frankenstein' of foolish regs and legislation has been driven by the legal department. Yes Team LSD is the heart of the Frankenstein, and Mr Aleck has been the key driver for several decades. So how or why he is deserving of sitting in the Captains seat is beyond the realms of normality.
I would suggest a clean slate be the key to positive change, safety improvement and the saving of GA. That clean slate would include a comprehensive restructure with new blood brought in from abroad. However I believe that is most unlikely and Creamy may get his wish granted and Mr Aleck may be promoted. The fact that Truss is still snoring, MrDak was reappointed and Beaker received a further 2 year contract proves that nothing is or will change and we are in for a further 5 years of BOHICA come January 2015. The only positive is that Sleepy Terry will be shown the door after the new DAS has settled in to his new throne.

Dick, you mean well, and I like that, and you have my support. You also attempted some major change when you were CEO, however the GWM trumped you, with the backing of the government of the day. But sadly mate nothing has changed. Today we have an equally corrupt and covert government, the GWM still reign supreme at CASA, and the mere thought of transparency, honesty and accountability in Australian politics and their departments could earn you an execution by hanging!

The word tautology comes to mind friends. Sections of the IOS have been doing this dance now for 25 years and it's the longest waltz on record. Sadly it is not going to end with a one night stand or a quick shag in the back of the Commodore! We are wasting our energy, time and resources. However it does provide for a bit of entertainment along the way :ok:

Strainer
21st Oct 2014, 05:08
The gentleman from the FAA was evidently of the opinion that 'Things were in too much of a mess and would be very difficult to fix' and then promptly withdrew his name from the selection process.

This snippet came to me via a National party pollie.

Frank Arouet
21st Oct 2014, 05:18
Nothing is going to happen until after the canonization of Gough Whitlam.

Lookleft
21st Oct 2014, 05:42
We are wasting our energy, time and resources. However it does provide for a bit of entertainment along the way

For some people such thoughts are tantamount to treason and may earn you the label of being a shock horror! CASASEXUAL!!!

For myself I can but agree with your sentiment. A bit like going into the pokies with $10 in your pocket: a bit of entertainment along the way:ok:

Creampuff
21st Oct 2014, 06:24
You don’t seem to get it, either, Sot.

If you had to pick the one person in CASA who has been at the most senior levels for more time than anyone else in the history of the organisation; the one person who has been paid, cumulatively, more than any other CASA staff member in the history of the organisation; the one person in CASA who has therefore had more cumulative opportunity and responsibility than anyone else in the history of the organisation to influence its structure and the regulatory reform program from within - who would that be?

And if that person couldn’t be pinned for responsibility for any problem within or created by the organisation, ever, what would you think?

To me, such a person is a mastermind and deserves genuine respect (and awe).

Such a person can create Frankensteins. Not by getting blood or gore on his own hands, mind you, but by influencing others when necessary; whispering in vulnerable ears when necessary; neglecting messes that will rebound on enemies when necessary; saving the day when favours need to be banked; feigning passionate commitment to the policies of the passing parade of patsies who think they are in charge; maintaining networks with the people in control.

But poetic justice would have the Frankenstein consume its creator.

thorn bird
21st Oct 2014, 07:08
Yup I agree with Leftie, I can assure everyone there is nothing, no question at all about his sexuality.

All you other buggers are completely wrong!!

CAsA is the most wonderful organization god ever put breath into.

Mr McComic, that paragon of virtue, probity and profanity, is next in line for canonization (sorry Frank I had the Pope pre-booked)

Impeccably honest and expert, these very hard working folk are focused on their task of protecting the poor orphan children of Australia, by keeping as many aircraft and those reckless pilots on the ground as is humanly possible.

They are doing a sterling job, just look how much they have been able to beat down aviation here, the Kiwis on the other hand haven't a clue. For goodness sake their industry is growing!!!!, God forbid!! its now almost equal to their biggest money earner.

They should immediately accept they have failed to stamp out aviation and adopt Australian world class industry destroying regulations before it's too late and they are invaded by aviation Junkies from Australia.

I commend Leftie for his unflinching support of the governments Aviation minimization policy.

These tireless CAsA workers, not satisfied with their aviation suppression duties, have been actively supporting your honest hard working property developers maximize the benefits they pay to McBank.

They must ensure as much money as possible is kept out of the hands of those greedy politicians here and is funneled out of Australia to support those poor orphans in the third world.

Its amazing how many McBank directors are third world orphans, poor little things, but thanks to Australia are no longer poor.

Creamie, calm down mate, we knew you had a tongue firmly planted in cheek, "Anastasi for POPE"...sorry DAS!!

Sunfish
21st Oct 2014, 07:10
DIck, with the greatest respect, I think the possibility of reform is now gone. My guess is that Mr. Farqueson will be confirmed as DAS and that announcement and the governments response to the review will be released on Melbourne Cup day or between Christmas and New Year.

The Governments delay in responding indicates that the bureaucrats have made a successful fighting retreat and that nothing will change. If there is a cabinet reshuffle you can then put off reform for at least another year until the new Minister gets his feet under the table, consults, reviews the review, calls for independent consultants advice, etc., etc., etc.

I'm afraid its game over. Creeping bureaucracy ensured I didn't spend $600 on a few hours flying today, but that is another story.

Dick Smith
21st Oct 2014, 07:25
Sunfish. You are possibly correct.

Australia does not deserve this.

It could be so different .

Dangly Bits
21st Oct 2014, 07:32
Sunny Noooooooo!

If Terry gets the job, Boyd will be his Deputy and I'll be moving to Monrovia!

We should all chip in to get Mike Smith back here and have a bloodless coup of the Executive of CASA.

He can stay at my place free of charge.

DB

Kharon
21st Oct 2014, 08:28
CP –"I’m hoping against hope that the new DAS is Jonathan Aleck. He deserves the job."

Strainer - "The gentleman from the FAA was evidently of the opinion that 'Things were in too much of a mess and would be very difficult to fix' and then promptly withdrew his name from the selection process."

I rather think that CP is seeking to return the poison chalice to it's original and rightful owner; this is as it should be.

CP – "[Not] by getting blood or gore on his own hands, mind you, but by influencing others when necessary; whispering in vulnerable ears when necessary; neglecting messes that will rebound on enemies when necessary; saving the day when favours need to be banked; feigning passionate commitment to the policies of the passing parade of patsies who think they are in charge; maintaining networks with the people in control."

Just about puts the whole imbroglio in a nut shell; for my two bob's worth.

DB – "We should all chip in to get Mike Smith back here and have a bloodless coup of the Executive of CASA."

The solution : equally clear – an administrator for 'corporate', a Mike Smith (or look-alike) for everything not major 'airline' and a part time overseer of the 'heavies'. Mind you; for another two bob's worth, (IMO) Mike Smith could do the whole lot with a competent manager, standing on his head, bare arsed, in the rain with a 25 gusting 30 crosswind – without spilling his beer.

After the dismal, lacklustre performance of "team CASA" last evening – perhaps it's time for at least a performer who can deliver his lines without a prompt sheet and does not look like the devil incarnate; a couple with an intellect slightly above that of well trained toilet seat and; just to keep things – on track – a couple of minions who don't act, look and sound like they couldn't lay straight in bed (or pass their exams).

Steam? -almost.

Sunfish
21st Oct 2014, 20:49
Dick Smith:

It could be so different .

I spent a week in NZ at Easter. Every little town on the South Island seemed to have their own turbine helicopter and fixed wing operators doing scenic and hunting tours. When the sun came out at Milford sound the helos and cessnas were buzzing as thick as the sandflies.

It was most entertaining watching the return of a hunting party in a Hughes: Engine running and then out came the wife, the hunting dog, the rifles, the husband, the bags and a deer carcass, then off went the helo again! How many exemptions / permissions from CASA would that little operation require in Australia?

I spent about $1600 on Helicopter scenics at Milford Sound and Mount Cook, both of which involved landings in National parks which is also forbidden in Australia.

Then there is the fantastic photography from the "back country" operators doing stuff that is again automatically forbidden in Australia or would generate a "show cause" notice from CASA- landing on river beds, ridges, beaches, etc.

http://www.zenith.aero/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=06jyf0xrazifc

Then there is the network of grass strips in Americas national parks.....

Think how much jobs, investment and growth such operations could contribute to the Australian economy.

4 Holer
21st Oct 2014, 21:11
They cannot find anyone stupid enough to take that role.

IT IS LIKE ASKING TO BECOME HEAD OF LONG BAY JAIL AND TELLING THE INMATES ( CASA staff being inmates ) WE ARE NOW GOING TO MAKE YOU ALL POLICEMEN.

Disband the lot and start again.

Eddie Dean
21st Oct 2014, 22:06
SUNFISH posted ...It was most entertaining watching the return of a hunting party in a Hughes: Engine running and then out came the wife, the hunting dog, the rifles, the husband, the bags and a deer carcass, then off went the helo again! How many exemptions / permissions from CASA would that little operation require in Australia?
Is that legal anywhere?

Frank Arouet
21st Oct 2014, 22:19
The NZ mindset is just different. In Aust. the regulator says how can we stop this happening and in NZ the regulator says how can we make this happen.
Not just the aviation sector either, how would it have been had we thought up bungee jumping, white water jet boats, unpasteurized milk/ cheese, feral deer meat sales to name a few.
We're strangled by over regulation. Only yesterday I heard a radio guy urging compulsory wearing of life jackets for rock fishermen and last night a TV 'rider' about banning the Haka. (it seems it intimidates our footy players)
Strewth!

Sarcs
21st Oct 2014, 22:22
Hope you don't mind "K" borrowed this...:E I never minded Mick Toller too much, sure he was hard headed and the title Ayatollah was used more in jest than in anger, he was at least fair minded and sane. I doubt he, like Byron would have allowed the current AF mess to develop. As he says in the Angel flight debate – it's a bollocks. The whole thing has been generated by a department desperately seeking a way to reassert their relevance to aviation by picking on yet another soft target. You have admire their determination to bully and subjugate the minority groups as an example to the larger, Tiger, CVD, Angel flight etc. Disgusting creatures.
There is a constant in all of the last three FF DAS/CEOs i.e. they all wanted to continue in the job, unfinished business & all that...:ouch:

Example: Mick Toller speaks on CASA's safety systems approach, his own future (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:1690968763:pc=PC_91841)
Compere: ...But Qantas received warning about this last November from the manufacturer, from Boeing, that this part might indeed be susceptible to falling off. Are you satisfied that it acted diligently?

Mick Toller: I think it's too early to be able to say that. We are aware of the fact that Rolls has informed the operators of the aircraft that this is a problem. We understand, from Qantas, that they were aware of it. And obviously there will be an investigation. That investigation initially will be taken by the Transport Safety Bureau, which is quite correct.

Compere: All right. Now, through these last couple of months, of course, CASA's received a lot of criticism through it all. Former employees speaking out. The ALP basically calling for your head. We've had that damning internal report that was leaked. CASA seems to be under extreme pressure. Is the organisation suffering serious problems?

Mick Toller: Well, we're certainly under a big spotlight at the moment. You could almost say we're under a microscope, because people are looking at us minutely. No, I don't believe we are. I believe we were. And I think that we've got a bit of a time warp here. When we look at the report that came out this week on the Qantas 1 accident in Bangkok, that report is specifically saying that the problems that we knew existed, or that we recognised existed, are being addressed. Are being addressed correctly. And it strongly comes out in favour of our new systems. The new way we're doing things. And is a strong endorsement of that.

Compere: Well, that incident, obviously, September 1999. We've had the Ansett - the history there that was going back 18 months. The problems with their 767s, which you failed to detect. Changes you say have taken place in the last two years, just didn't manage to pick those problems up.

Mick Toller: Well, the changes that we are starting were after the Qantas 1 accident, so I don't think that we can even reflect on that. We'll be looking into the Ansett issues to see what we should have found out and when we should have found it out. But there was no doubt in anybody's mind, who has a real knowledge of what's going on, that the changes that CASA has made are the right changes. They're not complete yet, because these changes take time. There has been some resistance to it, and you see that resistance particularly in comments from ex-staff members like Mr Wood, who resisted it at the time. But there's always resistance to change. That change is a necessary change, and it's a good change. And the ATSB have made that point very strongly.

Compere: Okay. Through all of this, obviously you yourself have come under enormous pressure. Your contract's obviously up in July. Will you survive? Will you be reappointed?

Mick Toller: Well, that's a decision that the Cabinet will be making. The Board has recommended that I be reappointed. At the end of the day, I'm willing to serve the public to the best that I can. If I am reappointed. And if I'm not, I'm sure that somebody else will do their best to do this very difficult job.

Compere: You're obviously gunning for that position. You want to take it?

Mick Toller: I believe that the changes that we're in the middle of at the moment are important. I think that CASA had a difficult history, and it really needs stability at this stage. And stability at the top.

Compere: The last time CASA came under this sort of spotlight was when Dick Smith was at the Chair. And he, of course, resigned after all of the controversies he endured. Not something you're considering?

Mick Toller: I'm not considering resigning at this stage, no. I think that
there is always a time to go that's in the best interests of any organisation. I don't believe that, from my point of view, now is the right time for me to be leaving CASA. However, as I say, it's not my decision; it's the government's decision.

Compere: All right. Mick Toller, thanks for being with us this morning on Sunrise.

Mick Toller: A pleasure.

Media contact
Peter Gibson
ph 02 6217 1015
mobile 0419 296 446
However in all three cases those aspirations did not come to fruition...:{ But there is a difference between the 1st two resignations and the recent one. In the MT & BB case (perhaps highlighted by the "K" quote) there was debate in industry on the pros/cons of each gentleman's legacy.

Example for BB; pprune thread November 2008 - The Bruce Byron Legacy (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/352389-bruce-byron-legacy.html)

However in JMac's case besides the tick of approval from some past/present members of the bored; probably M&M and his cronies; and most surprisingly the Iron Ring; there was overwhelming condemnation from the IOS (269 ASRR submissions & follow ups), some pro-aviation Senators and the 37 recommendations from the Forsyth Report that simply made his future aspirations totally untenable...:ooh:

As mentioned by Soty, throughout the reign of these 3 DAS/CEOs and before, there has been a couple of constants i.e. the Doc, Tezza, PG & M&M. But for mine it is indeed the Doc who has been quietly maintaining the status quo of the Iron Ring's agenda.

In the case of MT's demise, once the IR decided he had to go (i.e. passed his use by date), the Doc quietly went about undermining MT in a classic example of character assassination through rumour, innuendo and leaked documents...

(from interview above) - "We've had that damning internal report that was leaked..."

The damn internal report was about a non-event that had happened some two years before when MT had been on a goodwill mission to the Torres Strait.

From Aunty (PM) May 2001:CASA accused of going soft on boss

PRINT FRIENDLY (http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/pm/s305446.htm)EMAIL STORY (http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/mailto/mailto-nojs.pl)PM Archive - Wednesday, 30 May , 2001 00:00:00

Reporter:

COMPERE: Well, Australia's Aviation regulator hit some more turbulence of its own today.

A Senate committee has heard that the head of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), Mick Toller, avoided prosecution over a breach of aviation rules despite a recommendation from within his own organisation to call in the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Mr Toller stands accused of taking the controls of an aircraft he wasn't endorsed to fly, although the incident wasn't reported until a year after it occurred.

The Opposition today called on the Transport Minister, John Anderson, to explain why CASA went soft on the boss.

Shane McLeod in Canberra.

SHANE MCLEOD: Right from the Senate committee's first question the director of aviation safety, Mick Toller, was in the firing line.

UNIDENTIFIED: Mr Toller, what's happening with your reappointment?

MICK TOLLER: I don't know, Senator.

UNIDENTIFIED: I'm sure he meant 'good morning'.

MICK TOLLER: I'm sure.

UNIDENTIFIED: Good morning Senator, Mick Toller, director of aviation safety. Senator, I don't know. Can I take that one on notice?

SHANE MCLEOD: The CASA board next meets in June and it appears the question of Mr Toller's reappointment is still up in the air. Today's Senate committee hearings might provide more fodder for those opposed to him staying on. Mr Toller's record as a private pilot was the focus of Tasmanian Labor's Senator, Kerry O'Brien.

KERRY O'BRIEN: He did say the board took the matter very seriously and that in relation to the Horn Island matter there was bound to be a technical breach but it was determined that it was not a matter that should be referred outside CASA.

SHANE MCLEOD: Mr Toller is a former 747 pilot and is licensed to fly a number of light planes. He wasn't accredited to fly the Cessna Caravan 208 he took the controls of at Horn Island in the Torres Strait about two years ago. The incident wasn't reported until more than 12 months after it happened, and then to CASA's safety telephone hotline.

The authority's board, through chairman Paul Scully-Power, commissioned the acting assistant director of aviation safety compliance, Terry Farquharson, to investigate.

PAUL SCULLY POWER: In doing so I, as it was an incident that had occurred in the North Queensland area, I tasked Mr Ivory to conduct the investigation and requested from Mr Boys the assistance of a Part III investigator to ensure that evidence was collected and statements were taken in the appropriate manner.

SHANE MCLEOD: Peter Boys is the manager of investigation and enforcement with CASA. He was asked by Mr Farquharson for his views on the investigation report but disagreed on the findings, arguing that the matter should be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

PETER BOYS: For the fact of scrutiny, consistency in accordance with the procedures that have been in place, the matter should be considered for referral to the DPP.

SHANE MCLEOD: And later...

TERRY FARQUHARSON: Is there any doubt in your mind that this matter should have gone to the DPP?

PETER BOYS: In my mind, no.

SHANE MCLEOD: Terry Farquharson disagreed with the advice of Mr Boys and referred it to CASA's Corporate Council for an opinion. He, in turn, sought external legal advice while other advice was also sought by the board. They agreed that there had been a technical breach but that prosecution was not warranted as Mr Farquharson told the committee.

TERRY FARQUHARSON: The matter, according to those individuals, failed to meet the tests of the DPP requirements of the Commonwealth Prosecution tests and should have been dealt with internally.

SHANE MCLEOD: Terry Farquharson admitted that his being commissioned by direct letter from the board was not the usual way in which investigations were launched.

TERRY FARQUHARSON: Again, this is quite a different pathway.

UNIDENTIFIED: Correct.

SHANE MCLEOD: And it's that special process that the Opposition has today seized upon. Shadow Transport Minister Martin Ferguson is calling on John Anderson to explain the special treatment allowed to Mr Toller.

MARTIN FERGUSON: The evidence suggests that CASA sought three separate legal opinions as to Mr Toller's alleged breaches rather than let the normal compliance and enforcement procedures run their course. Evidently there is one rule for Mr Anderson, the Minister for Transport's mate Mr Toller, and another rule for Joe Blow and the aviation public.

SHANE MCLEOD: But John Anderson is rejecting the Opposition's attack.

JOHN ANDERSON: No, I think those are predictable remarks and I'll have a close look at what was said but I don't think there's anything new that I can identify from what I've been told about it to this point in time.

COMPERE: John Anderson is the Federal Transport Minister.

COMPERE: Well tonight Mr Anderson and his office released details of some of the legal advice provided to CASA relating to Mick Toller's alleged regulatory breaches.

The former head of the National Crime Authority, Tom Sherman, told CASA there was no need to refer the matter to the DPP because Mr Toller had been formally counselled and the incident was of a relatively minor nature.

The report also found that Mr Toller had been subjected to special and unfavourable treatment in that the allegations against him had been investigated no less than twice.
And here is a link to the Hansard (page 19) from Senate Estimates to which the PM program quotes: 30 May 2001 (PDF format (http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/Estimates/Live/commttee/s4904.ashx)) -Transport and Regional Services
{Note: You will see from Hansard that back then Tezza had a lot more to say, you will also notice that Beaker features as some underling to the Airport's Division}

The point of the above look at ancient history, is to highlight the major roadblock to reform that the IOS is up against. The Iron Ring, ably led by the Doc and supported by the LSD, is so imbedded into the fabric of Fort Fumble that it will take a mammoth effort to shift. Unless you clean out the lot eventually it will reappear reincarnated somewhere else and continue to erode away at the next generation of DAS & FF senior/middle management. That is why the IR is currently fighting tooth & nail to seriously undermine the DAS selection process and protect the sanctity of the trough...:ugh: God help us if they succeed...:{

MTF...:ok:

thorn bird
21st Oct 2014, 22:57
Perhaps also illustrates the sewer the upper levels of CAsA has become Sarc's.

If they are prepared to sink to those depths on one of their own, what hope for anyone on the outside.

A C208 in some places in the world does not require an endorsement.

So he took the controls!! left seat right seat?commercial operation??was he in command?? was there another pilot on board??.

Or as I suspect,

PIC "want have feel how it flies?"...MT "Handles nicely dosnt it, thanks"

And from the depths of the sewer "Gotim!!"

They really are pieces of work arent they.

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2014, 02:39
Farqueson or Aleck as DAS?????

Nurse, bring the Lomotil and a double dose of Dramamine!!!!!

Dick, I know you didn't see eye to eye with Leroy Keith but he seems to be the last CASA DAS that made any sense!

yr right
22nd Oct 2014, 03:12
Got to say why didn't they give it to Geoff Boyd. At least he has some sort of idea.

kimwestt
22nd Oct 2014, 06:19
From the time that the industry knows the retirement date of the incumbent, and the commencement date of the replacement, the industry collectively holds its breath and waits for the much longed for and oft imagined and discussed change.
The reality is quite different.
That gap between old and new is merely an interlude between dictatorships.
The problems at CASA are too big, the people (in the main) are bigots, intolerant of dissent and diversity, they are too easily swayed by demagogues spouting bull**** and hate, they readily swallow any hint of a conspiracy, and they seem to despise anyone with a dollar or two more than they have.
The average CASA’ite cannot conceive of a loyal or co-operative industry, the concept doesn’t compute.
Despite tens of millions of wasted taxpayers’ dollars, not one politician seems to raise a sweat.
The politicians seem to be more concerned at waggling their fingers at the electorate in the hope of getting re-elected next time round.
:ugh:

thorn bird
22nd Oct 2014, 06:42
Kim old mate,
Yeah we all live in hope, but I fear Aviation in Australia is doomed.

You and I have seen the incredible corruption and incompetence over the years.

Unfortunately The Iron Ring has become so entrenched it would take a very strong DAS to dig them out.

I have no doubt that the Murky Macavellian master that pulls the ministers strings has weaved his web of deceit.

Cant blame the Yank for pulling the pin, in fact kudos to him/her, they saw an impossible situation without any support of government and decided discretion was the better part of valor.

The poor sod that is up for the post, doesn't have a hope in hell of making any changes, the Macavellian master and his acolytes will see to that.

Whoever it is will take the money, be thankful, keep one eye on the bank balance and do nothing. When your wallowing in the gravy boat, rocking the ship aint Kosher, just look how the ring disposed of a past DAS.

Only ray of sunshine is the yank, having had a look, has a chat with the powers that be, these people have probity, they must see the threat to the safety of their nationals. With hope an Audit team will descend on Fort Fumble, followed by a down grade the Pollies cant ignore.

Creamie says we should vote for the independents. He is absolutely correct.

Problem is time.

I don't believe the industry has time. Part 61 and the reg's coming after will finish the industry as we know it.

Maybe that's what the iron ring intends, who knows, but a decimated industry will impact on the CAsA empire just as much as industry.

Soteria
29th Oct 2014, 03:00
Mark Skidmore, new CASA DAS. This should be announced today or later this week, keep an eye out for the standard retarded email posted by Sleepy Truss department.
Arise Sir Skidmore, and please be aware of your GWM colleagues :=

Keg
29th Oct 2014, 03:14
Former RAAFie heads up Airservices and another RAAFie and CDF as Chair of the Board I think, now one for CASA. Just need another RAAFie for the ATSB and they'll have the trifecta. :}

thorn bird
29th Oct 2014, 04:14
Oh gawd,

Just what the industry needs. Another RAAF type to the rescue, with absolutely no idea what a dollar is worth.

Congratulations Mr. Mrdak, well played:D:mad:

Not much left now but civil disobedience.

Capn Bloggs
29th Oct 2014, 04:33
Go Skates!!! :ok:

yr right
29th Oct 2014, 06:00
We had the prefect candidate with Geoff Boyd. Someone that has done it been there and know can act for the better of Australian aviation. Now what. More useless raaf personal. Wonder if if try and have people charged for insubordination when they tell him he is an f wit !!!!

Honestly what hope have we got now.

Soteria
29th Oct 2014, 06:46
Surely Skidmore can't be any worse than the screaming skull? (who is rumoured to be taking up the ICAO Secretary General role in July 2015). A couple of punters I have spoken to reckon Skidmore is one of the more pleasant RAAFies. But being a commercial guy I don't know what he has to offer as yet. It should be a bit of fun though. I've already heard that Wodger (Sydney) and Fanta pants (Brisbane) have started to suck a dummy, not happy that they weren't anointed with the holy grail of Australian aviation - the Fort Fumble throne!

Captain Sand Dune
29th Oct 2014, 07:51
His ass hasn't yet hit the seat and the RAAF bashing starts!:rolleyes:

d_concord
29th Oct 2014, 07:54
We should get over this RAAF thing. From my experience in recent years, the guys out of the RAAF have been pretty good. Some even from years past such as Chris H in the Melbourne Airline office was a true gentleman and very open and fair. There were others of course you couldn't say that about!

At the end of the day what you need is someone that is open and logical. Normally the RAAF types are well educated and can reason, thats a pretty good place to start. I would assume he can handle the bureaucracy as well given his background.

At the end of the day a career in the RAAF is as valid an aviation career as any other and fingers crossed he has the wider aviation interest at the forefront.

allthecoolnamesarego
29th Oct 2014, 08:02
Skates in an absolute gentleman! As Air Commander Australia, he left his office many times to speak to the troops and understand what the issues were. Didn't hide behind staffers or rank. I spent three days with him as he did what we did.
Congratulations to him.

Yr right. Question. Have you ever had any dealings with Skates? To call him a 'fwit', I would suggest, indicates you've never met the man.

Let's judge him on his actions in the job, not on a uniform he once wore!

Coolnames

yr right
29th Oct 2014, 08:22
No never meet the man but it's unfortunately what's has gone before him. I had one ex military nutter try to drag me into the boss for insubordination. The problem is they have no understanding of cost and how the real world acts.
Yes he may be a good bloke etc but dose make him the right person for the job when we had the right person for it with a proven record in the industry as we'll.

Just because he is ex military dose not make him the ideal person to fill the job. Can we as an industry afford this chance ?

Captain Sand Dune
29th Oct 2014, 08:39
Just because he is ex military dose not make him the ideal person to fill the job.
Just because he is ex military does not mean he is not the ideal person for the job. How long was the Skull in the RAAF compared to Cathay?

tipsy2
29th Oct 2014, 09:12
How long was the Skull in the RAAF compared to Cathay?

Didn't learn anything of value at either apparently.

enginair
29th Oct 2014, 10:47
I would like to suggest Senator David Fawcett after his performance in the Estimates Enquiry , also his back ground , although ex Miliitary he appears to have an understanding of GA & RPT down to level of individuals ei. pilots and hopefully engineers , and that CASA has to be answerable on all levels.

Soteria
29th Oct 2014, 11:12
How long was the Skull in the RAAF compared to Cathay?
Didn't learn anything of value at either apparently.
Just a couple of words but sums up the Skull really :D :D :D

thorn bird
29th Oct 2014, 11:27
Hey guys,

a lot of you young guys would not remember the sixties when it was harder to find a civie in DCA among all the ex RAAF failures.

From that foundation a lot of the problems of todays regulator stem

But lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt, Mr Mrdak may have thought he's won, up to the new DAS to prove him wrong.

We'll see, as has been said he cant be worse than the Skull, God help world aviation if he's put in charge of ICAO.

Dick Smith
29th Oct 2014, 13:42
Maybe he could be good. I had most of my luck with reforms with Alan Heggen and Ron Cooper.

Both I understand were ex RAAF .

Just needs to have the commonsense to understand that $1.4 billion written off by Defence ( on Super Seasprites ) doesn't seem to matter but $100 k mis-allocated re GA can be the death of an operator.

The Government policy is to remove all unnecessary costs - surely he has accepted the job on this understanding.

Hopefully he wants to do something worthwhile for Australia - why else would a person with his career and good name want the job?

Here's hoping!

Chronic Snoozer
29th Oct 2014, 16:53
Its difficult to find a RAAF pilot who values bureaucracy above flying. Maybe thats what RAAFies can bring to the table.

Ziggychick
29th Oct 2014, 17:06
Every now and then, well almost always now, the "gatekeepers" use weak excuses and now surveys commissioned by them. Just for the public/votes. May have swiftly assisted the participant. Possibly. Convenient, for sure.

A new DAS. Might be a nice guy, but skulls skeletons hidden in the closet are still needing attention.

To be treated as such a fool, then be expected to be pacified with the replacement of the Skull is clearly not enough.

Where the hell are the reports? All of them?

Round and round the Parli
Like a betting scare
One step, two step
You're screwed
Talk...if you dare.

A new DAS, a survey. And...wipe hands clean.

CASA believe they are ok. How dangerously ignorant. All to keep a seat.
What if that seat was in an aircraft which was overlooked by CASA and they perished in that seat. Damn fools.

The media, not all, perform little research regarding this problem, just rushed, must save my job and print. Quick. Affiliation with Gov also helps!

Ethics and morals are becoming drenched in legalities.

Mismanagement of funds. Nah, never. We trust these people in the big White Homey to protect us.

Ponder.

Letting go of the force needed to create safer, fairer skies is not over.

The problem with our Aviation Authority is, they have too much authority.
Might be a game for them, yet the suffering that has been inflicted on others is unforgivable. The prayer each morning. Well...what for?

I don't give a rats arse about left or right.
The Runway is in the Middle.

Perhaps when the pollies are flying again, they need to think about the above and realise the stupidity of what they are doing.

Squabbling makes no sense. Lack of transparency makes no sense.
The entire "system" makes no sense.

But we will leave that to diversion tactics relayed to the mass media.
I have been blocked at every turn to expose the truth.

The most poisoned apple in the cart is spreading its disease of "sshhhitis" infecting the others. Remove the bad apple. Caused to many problems already. I think the colour pink was involved with a particular stack of lies.

My goodness. Not resolved at all. Really.

A movie that tells all. Yep.
Our own leaders won't, so the script is complete.

Media. Waste of time now. Messengers do not get across. Especially if research is involved. Hung up on the headline.

See you all at the screening.

"The Night I Tried to Live"
the years I wanted to die

The only way sadly.

Can't rely on surveys, media and my Government to tell the truth.

Will reserve the front row for CASA. Then the word NOTICE is not in their favour.

Fly safe.
Ziggy

Creampuff
29th Oct 2014, 19:56
Mr Skidmore could be the nicest guy and the most experienced pilot on the planet, but he has zero experience or expertise to know how to kill the regulatory reform Frankenstein. Geoff Boyd and many others will be able to describe the monster and the damage it's doing, but none of them has any experience in the dark arts of real government.

Sunfish
29th Oct 2014, 20:52
Creampuff:

Mr Skidmore could be the nicest guy and the most experienced pilot on the planet, but he has zero experience or expertise to know how to kill the regulatory reform Frankenstein. Geoff Boyd and many others will be able to describe the monster and the damage it's doing, but none of them has any experience in the dark arts of real government.

I'm afraid Creampuff is exactly correct. This gentleman will come in with the best of intentions, occupy the high moral ground, armed with the weapons of truth, decency, intellect and honesty, and then the Grima Wormtongues of the iron ring of senior managers will start their work: sapping his will, slowly poisoning him until he either becomes their creature or falls on his sword.

My guess would be, if the rumour is true, then even now CASA senior management will have their minions going over every facet of his career and private life, looking for dirt.

To put that another way; for there to be any hope of meaningful change in CASA, the new Director Of Air Safety needs to be a Machiavellian bastard with a long knife, not some shining Knight on a White horse with a claymore.

To put that yet another, more sanguine way, metaphorically speaking, we would need to see a row of severed management heads on pikes outside the CASA offices to be convinced that anything good was happening inside.

Kharon
29th Oct 2014, 21:11
Amen Creampuff and Sunfish – A bloody Men.

I have however, a suggestion – Pick me – I'll do it for a six pack and pie.

rjtjrt
29th Oct 2014, 22:33
Some of the comments here are understandable to a degree given the experience of CASA in recent years under current "leadership".
However, the newly appointed DAS should be given a chance, and support from industry in the first instance.
There are many fine people in RAAF who are intelligent and men/women of goodwill.
As long as AVM Skidmore comes with an open mind and goodwill then I for one will be pleased to judge him by performance rather than the prejudice shown here by some.

Sunfish
29th Oct 2014, 23:02
Rjtrjt, with the greatest of respect, I am sure that the AVM is a fine person, however I fail to understand how his fine record of service to his country is relevant to cleaning up the corrupt mess that is CASA, thereby rebuilding the trust and cooperation that is needed between industry and regulator.

My main concern is that he may decide to euthanise what's left of General Aviation following the alleged CASA staff mantra that " there should only be Two types of aviation; regular public transport and military". Simply force what's left of GA into an RPT format of quality systems, check and training etc. and most will go broke and voila! Job done. RAA, SAAA, GFA, will vanish through massive cost increases as well. Witness the "treatment" Angel flight is now receiving.

junior.VH-LFA
30th Oct 2014, 03:21
Skids is passionate aircraft owner and warbird enthusiast, it's not exactly in his interests to make things "worse."

thorn bird
30th Oct 2014, 04:17
Soteria

"can't be any worse than the screaming skull? (who is rumoured to be taking up the ICAO Secretary General role in July 2015)".

Na Soteria,

I heard a rumour he was up for a Knighthood for services to the Aviation Industry.

The "service" being, p.ssing off before the industry was completely rooted.

rjtjrt

"We should get over this RAAF thing".

Your probably right rj, but many of the older people here remember times past when CAsA's predecessor was a retirement home for the RAAF.

This became the foundation for the Authoritarian CAsA attitude of today and the growth of the notion that the industry is there to serve the interests of CAsA, rather than CAsA serve the interests of industry.

This attitude, and the lack of probity displayed by CAsA in recent times, along with its utter contempt for the industry has generated a complete breakdown of trust between regulated and regulator.

This is neither desirable nor safe.

It will take a person of great internal fortitude to breakup this toxic environment, both within CAsA itself and in its relations with the industry.

I dearly hope Mr Skidmore is that person.

I strongly argue that Aviation must be placed in a ministry of its own, with a responsible minister with some knowledge of aviation, and an industry advisery board that can counter the mystic of safety that CAsA promotes in its own self interest.

Members of the public who utilise aviation services, no matter at what level, have been badly let down by the regulator.

All sections of the industry must bear some responsibility for this, from RPT self interest and acquiescence to CAsA dictates to GA's apathy has all contributed to the frankenstein destroying us today.

Frank Arouet
30th Oct 2014, 04:30
QUOTE Skids is passionate aircraft owner and warbird enthusiast, it's not exactly in his interests to make things "worse QUOTE

So was Herr Skull. He did.

4dogs
30th Oct 2014, 04:35
It's funny, but I didn't quite see Creamie aiding and abetting Sunnie doing a Madame Defarge...

To quote Shmoop:

Her problem, it seems, is that Madame Defarge just doesn’t know where to draw the line. As far as she’s concerned, "justice" for the fate of her family isn’t just that the Marquis gets murdered. Justice should, she thinks, include the "extermination" of all of the Marquis’ family. Given her druthers, Charles, Lucie, and even little Lucie would fall under the sharp blade of La Guillotine. As Madame Defarge exclaims to her husband, "Tell the Wind and the Fire where to stop; not me!" (3.12.36).

With these words, Madame Defarge ceases to be human. All the other characters recognize her as a sheer force of nature. It’s logical, then, that readers would feel the same way: she evolves into a sort of meeting point of history and social opportunity. As our narrator writes, she is:

imbued from her childhood with a brooding sense of wrong, and an inveterate hatred of a class, opportunity had developed her into a tigress. She was absolutely without pity. If she had ever had the virtue in her, it had quite gone out of her.

It was nothing to her, that an innocent man was to die for the sins of his forefathers; she saw, not him, but them. It was nothing to her, that his wife was to be made a widow and his daughter an orphan; that was insufficient punishment, because they were her natural enemies and her prey, and as such had no right to live. To appeal to her, was made hopeless by her having no sense of pity, even for herself. (3.14.33) [my bold]

What you saw in the Skull's tenure was his influence on CASA, not the influence of the coat-tail tuggers and hangers-on. Those that survive will survive on their merits, not their past complicity and Skates will provide a whole new perspective on the integrity bar that they will have to jump to stay in range of the trough.

On the other hand, no DAS manages in a vacuum and Skates will have to find a path between the needs of Peta Credlin, the Miniscule, MM, the Board, the AGs etc. Not everyone will be happy. He will be assailed by competing industry positions from people of undoubted probity and from outright scoundrels and everywhere in between. Not everyone will be happy.

I happen to think that the overwhelming requirement for the role is character, regardless of where you were trained, tempered and respected. Skates brings that in spades, so check your bile and your narrow personal agendas as well as your unachievable blood lust and give the guy a chance.

Nothing better or worse is going to occur in the short term. He has to identify what is fact and what is noise as well as who he can trust and who he should defend or sacrifice.

CASA doesn't kill people, we do. How we fly, train, supervise and manage is what really controls the risk, so maybe we need to spend a bit more time looking in the mirror when the wheels start looking a little wobbly...

Stay Alive,

Soteria
30th Oct 2014, 04:50
I'm going to name 4 CASA RAAF blokes in recent times whom I respected. You will recall some names, other names you may not. Common thread - Hood, Lloyd, Harland, Cook. All good guys, but were either shafted and pushed or left the organisation of their own accord. Bring these 4 back, attach them to Skidmores tight circle, and sack the GWM and legacy persons and you could have a tidy outfit.

Creampuff
30th Oct 2014, 06:17
This is why the Messiah trick works so well on the aviation industry.

If we just find a ‘Chief Pilot’ with the ‘right stuff’ to ‘lead’ CASA, the kinds of problems exposed by the AAI inquiry and the ASR review will finally be resolved. Nobody else, either singly or collectively, could possibly address and resolve those problems, without the wisdom and guidance of some hero in the ‘cockpit’, providing a unique insight into and perspective on the recommendations of the AAI inquiry and the ASR panel review. An insight and perspective that only someone of his calibre can provide.

So, the only option is to wait and give the new (new) (new) Messiah a chance.

This time for sure….

Just another year or two …

The point I have made on numerous occasions is that the DAS is not in a position to kill the regulatory Frankenstein, no matter how steely his or her resolve, no matter how experienced as a pilot or leader he or she is, no matter how much integrity he or she has, and no matter how much of a ‘chance’ he or she is given by ‘the industry’.

Saying that Skidmore hasn’t a chance is not, and is certainly not intended to be, a comment on his integrity or experience. It is merely a statement of the practical reality of the position in which he will find himself.

Can he resume Commonwealth ownership of airports and turn them back into pieces of public infrastructure rather than playthings for leaches on the body politic? Nup. Can he get rid of the fees for monopoly regulatory “services”? Nup. Can he reduce the incentive for CASA to be as inefficient as practicable when performing “services” for which it charges? Nup. Can he reduce the incentive for CASA to build a regulatory regime that requires the industry to obtain ever-more “services” from CASA for a fee? Nup. Can he get the FOI and AWI population to agree a consistent interpretation and application of the rules? Nup. Can he get all those strict liability offences taken out of the regulations? Nup. Can he adopt the equivalent of the NZ rules? Nup. Can he adopt the equivalent of the FARs? Nup. Can he build an airspace system that runs the same way as in the USA? Nup. Can he sack the zealots on a medical mission in AVMED? Nup. Will he be able to identify the person who decided that a rule requiring a pilot, on pain of criminal conviction, to maintain a logbook, unaltered, for seven years after the last entry is made in it, is practically enforceable and has any practical nexus with safety? Nup. Would he be able to sack that person anyway? Nup.

CASA doesn’t kill people, but the regulatory Frankenstein does kill businesses, aviation activities and careers (including those of DASs).

Frank Arouet
30th Oct 2014, 06:20
QUOTE CASA doesn't kill people, we do. How we fly, train, supervise and manage is what really controls the risk, so maybe we need to spend a bit more time looking in the mirror when the wheels start looking a little wobbly...QUOTE

After thinking that flying around for 49 years and still being alive must mean I am doing something right, I find that right now, having been given the divine ability of introspection by another pilot, I see it's all my fault. CAsA have been model citizens. Fair, approachable, honest, plain speaking, and non abrasive.

I should look in the mirror! Give me a break!

thorn bird
30th Oct 2014, 07:27
"CASA doesn't kill people, we do".

Creamie and Frank beat me to it, but I'm sorry WE are not responsible for killing people.

An inevitable result of what we do as aviators, carries a risk of fatalities. Just living your life carries that risk, even if you lock yourself in your house and never go outside there is a risk.

Unfortunately, in this modern world there is a reluctance to accept that every endeavor or pastime we involve ourselves in carry some element of risk and when things go wrong someone must be to blame.

Take the risk, and when fate steps in find someone to blame.

Aviation is perhaps the most risk averse industry in Australia

Okay I accept that there are people who will push the boundaries, there are in any industry, look how many trucks get grounded, but the vast majority of aviators try to the (best of their abilities) to manage the risks.

I put that in brackets because in the USA the "abilities" are constantly being improved by education rather than beating people over the head with indecipherable regulation, threats, intimidation and sanctions.

Their safety record is improving, ours is declining. It would appear their system is working ours is failing

By destroying GA, regulating it out of existence, will CAsA improve safety??

I'll give one example to illustrate why that is a fallacy.

A charter operator had a long term client. They conducted a weekly flight to their mine sight.
Over time the charter price had to increase to meet the ever increasing cost of the regulatory burden.
Ultimately the client decided it was more cost effective for them to utilize RPT to an airport nearest to their mine, then drive the rest.

Four of their management team were subsequently killed in a road crash on that journey.

Are WE to blame for those deaths, or is the regulator responsible for forcing the price of aviation to the point where it became unaffordable?

In todays world, price rules unfortunately.

Remember the two airlines monopoly?

Where the one way price of a ticket SY-BN was more than a weeks wages.

Family wedding in BN? no way an average family could afford to fly.

They would gas up the HJ, drive all night on Friday, then drive back Sunday, Mum Dad and the kids.

How many died or were maimed on that journey?

Is the aviation industry responsible for those deaths??

Recently we have seen our regulator conspiring to kill Charity flights.

Will they accept the deaths that occur by forcing those desperate people into their cars?

The FAA accepted that would be the consequence if they tried to regulate charity flights, they recognized Private aviation is safer than the highway, so they left it alone. Will CAsA? not a hope in hell, CVD pilots will attest to that.

One could say that the first death that occurs on the road after CAsA shuts down Angel Flight is premeditated Murder.

Would anyone is CAsA be held accountable? Not a chance in hell.

Dangly Bits
30th Oct 2014, 07:42
I hope Skidmore isn't a Screamer like The Skull....

Sunfish
30th Oct 2014, 08:01
Sadly, Creampuff is right.

I wish the good Air Marshall all the best, how could I possibly do otherwise?

However, without a strategic vision (the vision thing) and a highly experienced team of bureaucrats dedicated to reform, he is doomed to failure because I fail to see exactly what relevant tools he brings to the job apart from honesty, candour, and superlative flying talent and experience.

His labour, in my opinion is akin to Jason and the field of Dragons teeth.

Unless he beheads, figuratively speaking, the "iron ring" of senior managers immediately, he will be minuted and memoed to death very quickly.

To put that another way, he will be made to play the role of the Bull in the Bull fight. First the Picadores will try and plant a barb or Two (Skidmores past is now under the microscope) as they did with Mick Toller, then he will be run ragged chasing the cape:

A Senate committee has heard that the head of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), Mick Toller, avoided prosecution over a breach of aviation rules despite a recommendation from within his own organisation to call in the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Mr Toller stands accused of taking the controls of an aircraft he wasn't endorsed to fly, although the incident wasn't reported until a year after it occurred.

Then he will be goaded into untenable positions:

ASA CEO John McCormick has dismissed unwelcome comment in the past:

“Do not be dismayed by our vocal but largely uninformed minority of critics; they are symptomatic of other ills in society. I prefer ‘facts’ when engaged in discussions; not hearsay and tautological rubbish that some others seem to regard as promising material.”

Bruce Byron:

What has changed in his time and what is he leaving behind?
Ahhh! Let me think. Hmmm. Is it...? Hmmm. I got it...wait...no...would it be an empty office? No? Well, I pass. Next question please.

In his defense though, his bucket of beans was taken and replaced with a handful of beans and he was expected to disappear with the CASA and not come back unless he had the goose that laid the golden eggs.

(From pprune)

Mick Toller:

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority today hit out at its critics - declaring Australia still has an air safety system which is the envy of the rest of the world.

Independent statistics show it is twice as safe to fly on a scheduled airline flight in Australia than Europe or North America.

Figures also show there has been a 42 per cent drop in total aviation accident rates over the last ten years, with improvements in almost every area of flying.

CASA's Director of Aviation Safety, Mick Toller, said these facts demolish claims that CASA is an incompetent or troubled regulator.

Scandalously competent - CASA (http://www.iasa.com.au/folders/Safety_Issues/FAA_Inaction/scandalouslycompetent.html)

And lets not forget what happened to Leroy Keith....

Sunfish
30th Oct 2014, 08:06
Paul Phelan summarises the landscape Skidmore inherits:

Reform of aviation regulation in Australia is further from becoming a reality than it has ever been since the need was first acknowledged and addressed 24 years ago. That is the collective view of senior industry figures who have been involved in the process almost since its inception.

The prime concepts driving the project that became known as the Regulatory Review Program (RRP) have always been:

Outcome-based rather than prescriptive regulation, which is the basis of aviation regulation in all other aviation-significant democracies;
Alignment with overseas regulatory structures so that Australia could achieve true bilateral agreements with the leading overseas aviation authorities;
‘Plain English’ rules that are easy to understand, administer and enforce;
Objective evaluations of cost benefit and safety relevance to eliminate wasteful and un-necessary administration;
Compliance in rulemaking with Australian law, government guidelines; international (ICAO) standards; and
Two-tier regulation to replace the (then) existing multi-layer regulation comprising the Civil Aviation Act, Regulations and Orders, policy documents, individual rulings and permissions, exemptions and other instruments.

Although endlessly repeated in political and administrative rhetoric right through the regulatory reform process, these goals have been almost completely ignored by well-placed CASA dissidents.

And worse, political pressure is now on Director John McCormick to rush the remaining legislation through Parliament regardless of its blatant non-compliance with founding principles.

This situation is no accident; it can only spring from deliberate corporate defiance of existing law, international standards, government directives and guidelines, and executive directions.

To hell with the rules | Pro Aviation (http://proaviation.com.au/2013/04/06/to-hell-with-the-rules/)

yr right
30th Oct 2014, 09:37
I'm sorry but how can anyone believe that casa doesn't kill people. That's a big fat lie.
They have and will continue too.

We have never been in such a dangerous position in this country.

We fly f all to other places in the world.
Fly over 8000 feet your not going to hit any thing.
Our weather is reasonable good with good forecast.
Our maintenance standard are extremely high.

Casa is so full of ex military personal now may as we'll be the raaf. The dictator ship that has now avowed and is allowed to prosper. The vindictiveness that continues to happen.

How can anything ever change when only the top dog is changes and the rest that run the place continue in there ways.

Until there is a royal commission into casa and people not only charged and convicted and sent to the big house what chance have we got.

tipsy2
30th Oct 2014, 13:01
get the word safety out of the organisation's title.

Very true. They are a National Regulatory Authority (ICAO designation), nothing more, nothing less.

Never have they been an authority on safe, civil aviation.

Current title has to be false and deceptive advertising.

Tipsy:=

gerry111
30th Oct 2014, 14:27
So perhaps the best first move by Mr Skidmore may be to rename the current beast: CAA?

(I'm thinking that returning to the past would be a pretty good idea!)

When AVMED did everything they could to allow medically safe pilots to fly...

Horatio Leafblower
30th Oct 2014, 14:48
Doctors and Nurses are regulated by AHPRA - Australian Health Professionals Regulation Agency.

They kill a great many more people per year than we do.

Maybe they should call it the health Professionals Safety Regulation Agency and Doctors will stop making so many mistakes!

I was thinking more like DCA with Senator Fawcett as Minister :ok:

Arm out the window
31st Oct 2014, 22:24
I fail to see exactly what relevant tools he brings to the job apart from honesty, candour, and superlative flying talent and experience.

Well, they're a bloody good start!

Mark Skidmore is a good bloke, has business experience, has been successful at the top levels of the military organisation (which is at least as much civilian as it is uniform), owns and flies his own GA machine, is old enough to be wise and young enough to have drive, and is a positive personality.

I'm sure he'll be as well placed as anybody, and better than most, to do what is humanly possible to improve CASA where it needs improvement (clearly, a big task) and to build on the (gasp) positive things it already does.

The whole RAAFie vs civilian thing is a smokescreen, and I'm sure we all know numerous examples of people from both sides of the fence who are a) goats, b) champions, or c) somewhere in between, ie typical human beings.

Skidmore will do as good a job as can be done, and I hope everyone gets behind him.

Delta_Foxtrot
31st Oct 2014, 22:30
AOTW, a very firm second to your comments above!

dhavillandpilot
31st Oct 2014, 22:49
Here's an idea!!!!!

Why don't we let the new DAS have a go. He couldn't be any worst than the previous encumberent.

As for being in the RAAF so what, when I started flying in 1974 virtually all the senior people were from my fathers generation ex WW II RAAF or RAN. Without doubt they were all good airman who guided not ruled.

If he, Skidmore, can use some old discipline on those who have built little empires then there is hope for the future.

The way to do it is like what the army use to do. If a recalciant wouldn't toe the line, then he got shipped off to shuffle paper clips but retained his rank. A couple of object lessons will bring the others into line. Use their own tactics pick on the weakest.

I look forward to what the future brings.

rjtjrt
31st Oct 2014, 23:13
One of the early tests for the new DAS is if he will move to establish a truly independent Industry Complaints Commissioner.

yr right
1st Nov 2014, 20:08
2013 Aviation consultant

What where did he consultant on !!!!

Jabawocky
2nd Nov 2014, 00:36
Clearly he is not a mechanic hasn't done any engine overhauls lately and did not consult with you, so he must be no good.

yr right
2nd Nov 2014, 01:13
Jaba
Your really showing your lack of knowledge in aviation.
Would you like me to quote what casa said at the commission about aviation consulton.
Some of use work full time in this industry some are transient. This is all I do. What about your self. Expert on all I guess

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Nov 2014, 05:07
The dictator ship that has now avowed and is allowed to prosper.Righty, I's loves ya wurk!

Dr :8

PS: I know some good blokes in the RAAF and ex-RAAF and I know some A1 wankers! Same same in most walks of life. This bloke looks OK on paper so I say give him a run before nailing his hide to the wall.

Old Fella
2nd Nov 2014, 09:13
For those whom seem to "have it in" for the ex-RAAF, ex ADF personnel who find themselves in positions of authority let me enlighten you. Having almost equally shared over fifty years between being a member of the RAAF and being employed in civil aviation I can assure you that there are both great and mediocre individuals in both spheres. Thankfully the former predominate, both in managerial skills and personal attributes. To those anti ex-service personnel among us all I can say is "Get a life and take a look in the mirror, you just may not like what you see".

parabellum
2nd Nov 2014, 10:41
Well said dehavlliland pilot and oldfella, this guy didn't get to be an AVM by wanking himself blind. To fit the perfectionist shoe he would have needed to have completed a career with QANTAS on long-haul and short haul, worked on his days off for Virgin, spent anymore spare time he had as an LAE in the hangar and run every different kind of GA operation from RPT to RAAA and the antiquities, that would make him about 150 years old, minimum!

Why do people who have never been in the military have such a warped view of what senior retirees are capable of? Yes, there have been a few failures but by and large retired AVMs come with a wealth of experience and the ability to be flexible enough to embrace the less familiar parts.

How about we give the guy a fair go?

Jabawocky
2nd Nov 2014, 13:15
Jaba
Your really showing your lack of knowledge in aviation.
Would you like me to quote what casa said at the commission about aviation consulton.
Some of use work full time in this industry some are transient. This is all I do. What about your self. Expert on all I guess

Dear Steve,

How was that showing my lack of knowledge in aviation? I acknowledge my lack of knowledge and admit I do not know what I do not know. It is probably far greater than your lack of knowledge by a huge margin. So please do tell me all about what CASA said at the commission.

As usual I expect you will not answer my request, as so far on prune you have failed to answer the vast majority of the direct and pertinent questions I have asked you. Even when you claim to have vastly superior knowledge.

So do we all assume that working full time in the industry as a mechanic that makes you an expert on all matters aviation? When was the last time you flew an RNAV or ILS approach to the minima in real IMC, and or under the hood? When was the last time you witnessed certification testing (detonation tests, freeze point tests etc.) of aviation gasoline (leaded or unleaded). When was the last time you wrote a report to the coroner on an aviation fatality (not me, others, I have no experience there) or any number of things you claim to be an expert on, like the law.

What about yourself? An Expert on all of them I guess?

No need to answer, not that you would, because it is irrelevant. What you do and what you have expert knowledge on, has very little to to do with all the things you comment on actively here. Just like being a mechanic makes your qualifications irrelevant when passing judgement on Mr Skidmores appointment to CASA, that, notwithstanding you may actually have some relevant knowledge to share. Why? Because what anyone does full time in their day job may not be all they are somewhat skilled at or have knowledge on. You and me included!

So what did CASA say at the commission and what about Mr Skidmore?

PS:
I also note you seem to enjoy posting anonymously yet at the same time publicly outing and attempting to discredit others by dubious means in recent threads. You are not as anonymous as you think either. Play the ball.

Torres
2nd Nov 2014, 14:17
The reality of this appointment is that CASA is destined to another four or five years wandering aimlessly in the wilderness; another four or five years of ludicrous "regulatory reform" wasting another $100 million plus and industry can expect a further four or five years with a third world regulator that is totally out of touch with Australian needs and values.

I don't know Mr Skidmore but I wish him well. He will not be able to rely upon military discipline to dismantle the political bastardry that is rife within CASA and has defeated past DAS. Sadly his resume does not reflect the administrative skills and civil regulatory and commercial aviation experience necessary for the task of dragging CASA into the real world of 21st century Australia.

Creampuff
2nd Nov 2014, 19:15
I agree with that assessment and prediction.

Captain Sand Dune
2nd Nov 2014, 19:21
To fit the perfectionist shoe he would have needed to have completed a career with QANTAS on long-haul and short haul, worked on his days off for Virgin, spent anymore spare time he had as an LAE in the hangar and run every different kind of GA operation from RPT to RAAA and the antiquities, that would make him about 150 years old, minimum!

But wait - he also must have
administrative skills and civil regulatory and commercial aviation experience necessary for the task of dragging CASA into the real world of 21st century Australia.
:rolleyes:

Sunfish
2nd Nov 2014, 19:43
Following the appointment of a nodding donkey as Director Of Aviation Safety and the Governments soon to be released Non - response to the Aviation Review - explaining in detail why each of the Thirty Seven recommendations made either cannot be implemented, will only be partly implemented or are now irrelevant, I predict that CASA will proceed to seek its vengeance on everyone who criticised it. Individuals will be administratively dealt with in the time honoured manner. However the associations will be dealt with by another method - the discussion paper.

This operating principle of this type of behaviour involves the creation of the maximum possible levels of fear, uncertainty and doubt iin the target group. We are already seeing this effect on Two such target groups; Angel Flight pilots - should they be subject to tougher restrictions? Pilots with Colour vision defects - should they be allowed to fly at all? Lets look at the potential topics for CASA to discuss...

Firstly there is AOPA. How about a paper; "Should private pilots be allowed to fly in controlled airspace? Then there is the RAA; - "Should ultralights be banned from flying over built up areas? For the SAAA;- " Should there be tighter engineering and maintenance standards for Experimental aircraft?" The Gliding Federation; - "Mid AIr collisions and gliders - a serious safety issue?". For GA; - "Record keeping in General Aviation, too lax?" And of course the answer in each case is fewer rights and more regulation and thousands of trees worth of paper trying to refute the arguments made by CASA.

There is no end to the fun that can be had by winding up the various sectors of the industry. I invite you to submit your own titles.

Arm out the window
2nd Nov 2014, 19:48
Following the appointment of a nodding donkey as Director Of Aviation Safety

Have you met the bloke, Sunfish? Quite an insult if not.

Creampuff
2nd Nov 2014, 20:19
In fact, the latter is essential. The former: not so.

Up-into-the-air
2nd Nov 2014, 20:45
The following is a statement from the 2014 annual report:

http://vocasupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2014-scrutiny.jpg

Challenge to the new DAS:

Will the new das meet this, because the old one certainly did not and recent publications in the Cairns Post [October 2014] (http://vocasupport.com/casa-lies-again-in-fobbing-off-the-truth/) and there are numerous other examples where statements by casa were false as well.

Two falsehoods do not equal a truth.

and:

The pilot numbers continue to fall (http://vocasupport.com/pilot-numbers-continue-to-fall-is-the-new-das-going-to-act/), just to add to the DAS's action plan and the Monday morning plan.

Kharon
2nd Nov 2014, 21:12
I think we need to be very, very clear from the outset that none of the comment made on Pprune is against Skidmore – the bloke. Obviously, the man is respected, liked, of proven intelligence and capable; AVM qualifications do not come off the top of a cornflake box (not in Australia at least). It must be understood that what comes down the pipeline is not personal – it goes with the job.

Sunny is simply pointing out that part of the job which stultifies a normal, rational human being into a 'nodding donkey'; your man needs to grasp this simple fact. Mountains of memo's, reports, meetings, approvals, whispers, advice, fluttering eyelashes and free ice-cream to wade through before morning tea. Chat's with the MM crew for "guidance and advice" before lunch: afternoon tea with the minuscule which leaves a whole 15 minutes to actually do something useful. By day two there will a pile of industry requests a mile high – which need to be subject to the endless machinations of corporate affairs and that's all before the LSD begin their rice bowl protection campaign. Then there's the 'management wabbits' to listen to, followed by the frontal lobotomy first team, followed by the spanner twisters 'administrative' putsch.

AOTW – your 'man' will be doing a lot of nodding and he is, already THE donkey on which everyone tries to pin the tail.

On the plus side, even the smallest scrap of cheer for industry will win hearts and minds; any sign of reform will provide instant, tangible support; the slightest inkling of fair play will be met with a rousing cheer and more beer than the man can possibly drink. All to play for.

At present it's a little hard to define his motives for accepting 'the job' (unless Fawcett has a cunning plan, which would not surprise many) and apart from a fairly limited group no one knows 'what's in the sack'. What is known is how his opposition (not the MaM, as yet) will act; his early response to the opposition will tell the tale and set the tone for the next five years – which is a life sentence if another McComic style regime allowed to flourish and grow.

The stakes are high, the result uncertain and if 'the man' can't take the heat and he or his 'mates' are going to be upset by a 'nodding donkey' analogy, then perhaps he should take the hint from the three first preferred candidates who turned down the job and depart the fix.

Working to play the ball, examine the data available and watch carefully the results: thus far it is known that the original race – to find a 'nodding donkey' was fixed; that got tipped out. The second round was almost a straight race, with the stewards obligingly looking the other way when 'nodding donkey' was assisted in the running. The lengthy, 'diligent', world wide search by the MM crew for a 'suitable' candidate could, by a cynic, be translated in two ways. Finally, and after leaving the current Sleepy Hollow outfit time to reinforce the barriers, and grease the exit chutes - we get Skidmore.

So, lets remember it's the job, not the man we play. Actions and achievements will mark his tenure; not what his mates think.

"Nothing personal, dude. Just business."

itsnotthatbloodyhard
2nd Nov 2014, 21:36
Working to play the ball, examine the data available and watch carefully the results

Good idea - for everyone concerned. Kharon, your (well-considered) post implies that pretty much anyone taking the position will be a 'nodding donkey'. That may or may not be true, but I doubt it's how many people would read Sunfish's comment.

Old Fella
2nd Nov 2014, 22:26
Maybe there is someone among those ready to put down Mr Skidmore who would feel able and qualified to apply for the position to which Mr Skidmore has been appointed. Surely we would all benefit from the vast experience that those so critical of Mr Skidmore's appointment could bring to the position.

Up-into-the-air
2nd Nov 2014, 22:32
But would:

The immediate implementation of the ASRR reccomendations or
The removal of the casa dead-wood.
The removal of the 200 or so staff who are non-performers;
Spending money on purchasing the NZ system;

Achieve an appointment of that person, as it would defy the effect of the incumbents and the over-riding MrDAK [supported by previous departmental head, now casa Board Chair - Hawkes].

rjtjrt
2nd Nov 2014, 23:57
Whilst I agree we should give Mr Skidmore a fair go, it is entirely approriate for forthright representation of the widespread disatisfaction to be conveyed to the new DAS. It is unlikely he is not aware of it, but there will be other "stakeholders" who will want to maintain the status quo.
There will doubtlessly be a number a people in CASA who will be in his ear saying the complaints are unwarrented whining and bleating from the industry and private operators, and there is no need to change the fine work of his predecessor.
We need to be very clear in continuing our representation that major change is vital and warranted, and needed early. Hopefully, Senator Fawcett et al will be able to assist in emphasising this.
Again, an effective and INDEPENDENT complaints avenue is vital, and one that has direct access to the DAS.

Sunfish
3rd Nov 2014, 04:23
Old Fella:

Maybe there is someone among those ready to put down Mr Skidmore who would feel able and qualified to apply for the position to which Mr Skidmore has been appointed. Surely we would all benefit from the vast experience that those so critical of Mr Skidmore's appointment could bring to the position.

I am sure AVM. Skidmore is a great bloke, however that is not the issue. The issue is whether he has the skills and experience to drive a massive change program through an organisation loaded with reactionaries in senior management ranks. I've driven some "little" change stuff and even that was hard.

I would be pleasantly surprised if the good AVM has such skills but I think not. The term "military reformer" is an oxymoron. The AVM also would need the absolute cast iron support of the Minister, the Department head and the Board to drive a change program and I don't think that is coming either as evidenced by the time we have been waiting for the Governments response to the review recommendations.

To put that another way, driving a change program at CASA would involve rivers of (figurative) blood, frequent horrendous leaks to the media about safety issues, court cases and serious bastardry with much screaming and yelling as attempts are made to send senior managers packing. It is difficult and professionally dangerous work which often results in the reformer leaving the job early. I don't believe anyone in Government has the stomach for that.

This is not a job for a white knight, it is a job for a smiler with a great big knife behind his back- ergo, nothing is going to change. There will be reorganisation, new names perhaps but nothing substantial.

Frank Arouet
3rd Nov 2014, 05:35
1. SITUATION.
2. MISSION.
3. EXECUTION.
4. ADMIN.
5. COMMAND AND CONTROL.

Basic officer skills. But totally alien to public servants.

yr right
3rd Nov 2014, 05:46
Can we afford as an industry this fella that is the big question.
What is upsetting is we had the right person to for fill the position.

Ga is to hard for casa to regulate with the budget that they have.

There will always be ga but not so much private ga.

Soteria
3rd Nov 2014, 05:54
The best way to familiarise the new DAS with industry's thoughts on CASA, it's abilities and it's legacy is to send him up to North Queensland to meet with Shane Urquhart. The new DAS can then accompany Shane on a visit to Sally's grave. This will give the new DAS a proper look without the 'bull****, phoney survey, polished graph, Board molested, smoke and mirror act'.
Hell, he could even swing by Mareeba if he wanted to.

Up-into-the-air
3rd Nov 2014, 06:06
to ask about dodgy casa statements and the effect on pilots.

Torres
3rd Nov 2014, 06:54
Why do most people here assume the Government, Minister, CASA Board and DoT want change in CASA? Perhaps Government are satisfied with CASA performance and Mr Skidmore has a mandate to keep CASA on its present course?

What evidence is there that the new DAS has any mandate for change?

Soteria
3rd Nov 2014, 07:00
Torres,
What evidence is there that the new DAS has any mandate for change?ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Nov 2014, 08:41
OK team enough of the negativity and the whining.Every industry finds its regulator a hinderance.

The banks hate ASIC. The miners hate the enviro departments. Transport companies hate the RTA.

Let's for a moment assume XXXXXXXX - sorry - Skates could achieve meaningful change, given the appropriate vehicle.

Nobody would argue that these industries should be given unlimited freedom and most people, those able to think rationally, would agree that aviation is the same.

The problem is that massive financial and administrative burdens (eg: requirements for multiple non-billable administrative personnel) are imposed on small businesses not to achieve *actual* safety improvements, but to achieve safety improvements that are incremental, perceived, or merely theoretical.

We cannot assume that we are the only industry burdened thus.

What would the Australian economy look like without the equivalent brown-tape that must be imposed on every industry?

Bill Clinton introduced a bill to congress with the overt objective of freeing the GA manufacturing sector from the crushing weight of public liability cases. Imagine if we could get the Economic Revitalisation (General Aviation) Act 2016 up.

What would you want to see in that legislation?

Soteria
3rd Nov 2014, 11:57
Let's for a moment assume Skidmark could achieve meaningful change, given the appropriate vehicle.Horatio, that is very naughty. A few of us have resisted the urge until he has at least been able to bed himself in, shuffle some papers, water the pot plants and review a lot of CASA's issues :=

Now McComic, that my friend is a true skidmark! Someone who really left an unsightly stain on our aviation fabric! Anyway, that particular number 2 has been flushed away (apparently on its way to Canada's version of Luggage Point - ICAO). I am looking forward to letting Skates settle in for a brief spell. I believe the man will have good intentions, I have no doubt that he is Catholic and has a very high I.Q, and I really like his John Holmes moustache, I just don't think he knows yet that he will not be the Commander on the HMAS Fort Fumble.

Jabawocky
3rd Nov 2014, 12:35
Steve,

Don't pretend you did not see my post. How about answers for a change?:rolleyes:

gerry111
3rd Nov 2014, 13:40
Please be nice, Jaba.

yr right's possibly rather busy, yet again rearranging his burned clys. ;)

yr right
3rd Nov 2014, 18:27
Jaba
Why would I bother. If you won't to know what was said look it up your self. It's all there.
This thing that if your an airline captain or ex military your the best is such a myth.
Look at the problems the military have been having lately. What you think that this stuff is just recent. No it's not. It's been happening for ever. This then follows them in to the real world when they leave.

Gerry
You would neither have the intellectual knowledge or the skill to be even know what a cylinder is. I'm guessing the biggest part of your day is weather to have the Danish or the custard tart for morning tea. Whoops look out for paper cuts.

yr right
3rd Nov 2014, 18:29
Oh also Jaba
Have you ever signed out an aircraft that has crashed and killed 5 people. Then have to worry about if you made a mistake. Have your parter scream in the middle of the night dreaming the police have come to take you away.

I guess not.

I have

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Nov 2014, 21:24
Yr right

Have you ever had a cabin door pop open in flight because your engineers didn't re-assemble it correctly?

Have you ever paid for multiple component replacements - parts AND labour - while your LAMEs try to fix a problem, only for it to be the issue you told them about in the first place?

Have you ever had an engineering shop hold you to ransom?

I have.

This myth you believe in that LAMEs are some sort of God-like figure is laughable. Get off your high horse mate this engineer vs pilot crap is just another fracture in the industry stopping us act as one, in the interest of our mutual survival.

Jabawocky
3rd Nov 2014, 21:30
I am genuinely saddened to hear that. Perhaps that is still having an effect on you today, did you ever seek help after all that?

Have you ever signed out an aircraft that has crashed and killed 5 people.

No, none that I have signed out have fortunately. That is not to say that I do not think about such an issue and have it at the back of my mind whenever I touch one. But statistically I have an advantage I guess. Thats the advantage of not having the same degree of experience as you, by volume I carry less risk.

However, given the constant taunts and school yard bullying dished out to several here on pprune, I do find it hard to accept that you best answer is "why would I bother".

Stikybeke
4th Nov 2014, 02:39
Steve,

You've quoted the number 5 which might not be entirely correct. However I guess that narrows it down a bit. Instead of being obstructionist why not share your experience with all so that someone might learn from it and just perhaps prevent an accident happening as a result. Judging from posts you've made in some other areas regarding your history if you'd signed it out it was probably operating in the charter category however signing out an aircraft in itself does not lend to an accident taking place, there are always alot of other factors like weather etc.

I guess you gave evidence but you obviously weren't in any trouble and given your vast legal experience and expertise that you've told us about you would be aware what you can and can't say.

That being said, as you well know and were probably brought up with, there's nothing quite as valuable as being able to learn from the experience, good or bad, of another.

Just a pity you don't care to share yours that obviously relates to something that happened a long time ago but is still clearly relevant from an engineers perspective.

Stiky
:rolleyes:

thorn bird
4th Nov 2014, 02:42
thought this post was about the new DAS

Stikybeke
4th Nov 2014, 03:58
Sorry Thorny.
Let's see now:
Ex RAAF
F111 driver
Mirage driver
ARDU Test pilot

I've also heard he's a good bloke and very easy to talk to.

I'll bet he's the first DAS who was a DC3 test pilot! He gets my vote!
Stiky
:ok:

Creampuff
4th Nov 2014, 04:36
A "pilot" and a "good bloke".

If only they'd thought of those selection criteria before.

Up-into-the-air
4th Nov 2014, 05:14
The new DAS obviously was not keen to be "in the shop" and was absent on Monday morning.

This is not a good look - checked the bosses [miniscule] presso and it did not say last Thursday that the DAS would not be in at "first light" on Monday.

Where are you Mark??

Decisions to be made or the place will further:

"Go to H***L in a handbag"

Jabawocky
4th Nov 2014, 06:53
UITA

That is a bit rich. I dare say he had plenty of things to do that did not involve being in his office on the first day.

Perhaps it was meeting with the minister or the board or a dozen other likely things.

allthecoolnamesarego
4th Nov 2014, 07:10
I have no doubt that he is Catholic and has a very high IQ

WTF does religion have to do with anything???
One might say that those who believe in fairies, have a questionable IQ, but that's for a different forum:}:}:)

Arm out the window
4th Nov 2014, 07:52
Where are you Mark??

Probably avidly reading this page in search of direction; lucky we're here to set him on the right track!

Horatio Leafblower
4th Nov 2014, 08:18
UITA

I'm pretty sure the press release specifically mentioned that he would join CASA as soon as he could exit from existing commitments.

Calm the fck down. :suspect:

Up-into-the-air
4th Nov 2014, 09:32
Just read the releases HL:

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - October Special edition 2014 (http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_102249)

and:

New CASA Director of Aviation Safety appointed (http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/wt/releases/2014/October/wt220_2014.aspx)

No dates, so start must be on Monday 3rd November - HL.

That's what you would expect wouldn't it, if you had appointed someone being paid around $450,000 per year??? in your business.

This is big money and we need that person now and getting aviation going.

gerry111
4th Nov 2014, 10:18
I'd be thinking that the first task the new DAS is up for, is to digest the Canberra Caravan's 'manifesto'...

If so, perhaps he's on stress leave already? :p

Soteria
4th Nov 2014, 11:13
Lots of boxes for the new DAS to tick in his first week;

a) HR induction - Paperwork to fill in, make phone call and ask for QF Chairmans Lounge privileges, provide bank account details, superannuation transfer papers to be completed plus a run down on annual leave days and sick days and doctors certificates required for two consecutive days off. Finally sign that he understands CASA's discrimination and bullying policy!

b) Staff meet and greet - A sojourn to the Witchdoctors office and a bit of cheery intellectual banter, followed by a quick stop at Terry's desk (not til after 1100 am as he grabs a morning kip). Then a trip to Brisbane and a tour of the basement worm farm and the bicycle rack. (Mark, beware, the Snake Warning signs are now out on the lawns :ok:)

c) Medical - Coloured eye vision test followed by the 'cough and squeeze' test and finally a rectum examination just incase he tries to smuggle the Skull back into the building!

d) Finally - commence A380 endorsement, thoroughly examine all upcoming trough options, review the CASA IOS and MAM blacklist.

So UITA, you are a bit harsh mate, give him time.......

yr right
4th Nov 2014, 18:22
HL your not with out fault your self btw. So get off your horse.
And how do you make it my engineer. I was not my engineer at all. Do not inver that I had any thing to do with you or your aircraft. Because that is un true !
Jaba.
Pilot flew where he should not off in weather the ducks where on the ground. He took out the life's of 4 innocent people.
I was lucky in that when basi arrived and looked at the aircraft my friend was picking it up for recovery. He heard then passed onto me that it was was the best maintained aircraft of its type they had seen.

I have zero control of the one thing that is the weakest link in the system.

I don't lie never have never will. When I say 5 people lost their life's 5 people did.

Horatio Leafblower
4th Nov 2014, 21:06
And how do you make it my engineer. I was not my engineer at all.

I never said, explicitly or otherwise, that it had anything to do with you or that it was "your" engineer.

Nor did I say I was without fault.

That sort of thing goes without saying :ok:

allthecoolnamesarego
5th Nov 2014, 00:19
HL your not with out fault your self btw. So get off your horse.
And how do you make it my engineer. I was not my engineer at all. Do not inver that I had any thing to do with you or your aircraft. Because that is un true !
Jaba.
Pilot flew where he should not off in weather the ducks where on the ground. He took out the life's of 4 innocent people.
I was lucky in that when basi arrived and looked at the aircraft my friend was picking it up for recovery. He heard then passed onto me that it was was the best maintained aircraft of its type they had seen.

I don't lie never have never will. When I say 5 people lost their life's 5 people did.

There, fixed it for you.

HL, you're not without fault yourself btw. So get off your horse.
And how do you make it my engineer? It was not my engineer at all. Do not infer that I had anything to do with you or your aircraft. Because that is untrue!
Jaba.
Pilot flew where he should not have, in weather the ducks were on the ground. He took out the lives of 4 innocent people.
I was lucky, in that when BASI arrived and looked at the aircraft, my friend was picking it up for recovery. He heard, then passed onto me, that it was was the best maintained aircraft of its type they had seen.

I don't lie. Never have never will. When I say 5 people lost their lives, 5 people did.

LeadSled
5th Nov 2014, 02:08
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority today hit out at its critics - declaring Australia still has an air safety system which is the envy of the rest of the world.

Independent statistics show it is twice as safe to fly on a scheduled airline flight in Australia than Europe or North America.

Figures also show there has been a 42 per cent drop in total aviation accident rates over the last ten years, with improvements in almost every area of flying.

Folks,
I remember this all to well, CASA/Toller misquoted a Boeing study, the Boeing figures were not for Australia, but for Oceania, and, in the Australian case, helpfully excluded all the Australian RPT accidents, fatal or otherwise.

The statement prompted a detailed study being delivered to the then Minister, John Anderson, showing that the actual figures, using ICAO definitions, had an Australian GA accident rate double US, and an airline accident rate more than 3 times US.

The Minister was so disturbed by the study, he had it sent to the NTSB for comment. The NTSB answer was words, the equivalent of: " Of course it's correct, it is assembled from publicly available data".

Since then, the differential between GA in US and AU has deteriorated, much of the difference is the steady improvement in the US. There has been no such steady improvement in Australia.

Tootle pip!!

Stikybeke
5th Nov 2014, 05:16
No problem Steve, (and thanks allcool names!!!)

Not calling you a liar or inferring that. I just queried the numbers a bit as the only accidents with 5 fatalities within Australia that I can readily recall were Willowbank and Caboulture accidents, both of which involved the ATSB, not BASI. Taking your age into account I thought that failing those two accidents the one that you refer to was obviously quite a while ago (as it involved BASI) , hence the number question. This is no doubt my mixup but hopefully you'll set the record straight here!!!

Oh, and I'm sure the new DAS would also be keen to learn how someone with the vast legal and expert aviation experience that you have can help prevent future accidents simply by sharing in a community such as this. Hang on a sec....hasn't that happened before historically with others?

Come on Steve, be a bit refreshing for a change!!

Stiky
:ok:

Frank Arouet
6th Nov 2014, 21:48
Reading the Director leaves AVMED and don't slam the door behind you thread, I came upon a post by Pinky the pilot which led me to an epiphany regarding our new DAS, Mark (skates) Skidmore. Post partly quoted below;

QUOTE Note to CASA. Given the level of dissatisfaction and really outright hostility expressed in some of the posts here; Has it finally sunk in that you are held in deep suspicion, contempt and viewed as being an 'enemy' to pilots in general, and if indeed it has finally sunk in, just what do you intend to do to restore the faith and good will that 'once upon a time*' did exist!

*Yes, it did, years ago I believe QUOTE.

Having the benefit of being active in aviation during the DCA days circa 1965, I remember the whole show being run by RAAF types ex WW2.

This lot were prone to the usual military foibles inherited by being part of an organization of saluting paranoiacs and obsessive compulsives, but in the main were decent chaps and would rather educate than regulate. They didn't have performance bonuses and were paid a fair wage doing what they loved doing. (flying). Blokes like Russ Evans, Bob Jervis, Bill Lord would go out of their way to help if you asked them but would stomp on you from a great height if you took the piss. They were role models to a larger degree and completely opposite to what we have today.

Pinky the pilot got it right, there was faith and goodwill once upon a time. And it need restoring. It needs restoring now, not in twelve months time, (there will be no GA then).

I've decided to give Skates a go to see if he can start on this task as I believe the whole mess can't be addressed until trust is restored. Action, not words from spin doctors, (who should be sacked immediately), will start this process. Maybe start by redressing some obvious wrongs, admitting some liability, kicking a few backsides, reopening some old wounds to fix what should have been fixed instead of fcuked, bring up some old wrecks from the ocean just to placate the plebiscite and look a bit deeper into politico-beureaucrat-corporate goings on.

I have also been pondering the possibility that he and Fawcett may be the team to keep Mrdak and Co in their place. I haven't figured where Truss fits in except perhaps Barnaby may take a shot at his job with some noisy encouragement.

Anyway, he owns a Globe Swift so can't be all bad. Has one simple job.. regain trust. How hard can it be? He has my confidence for the time being.

I hope he doesn't disappoint.

aroa
6th Nov 2014, 22:55
"How hard can it be" quoth Frank.

EXTREMELY HARD, IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE because of the long entrenched "Iron Ring" and the bureaucratic way.
Bureaurats know every slip sliding sllthery way to divert, subvert and pervert the process of any changes THEY dont want.

eg Classification of Operations Policy adopted by the Minister and the Board April 1997. What happened to all that ???
Viewed, chewed and spat out after a few years like it had never ever existed.:mad:

The good Mr Skidmore, if he is really serious about cleaning the place up should get behind a call for a ROYAL COMMISSION. :ok::ok:
With a clean slate, he could then restart the process of regaining the trust of the industry.

If he enters the fray alone and thinks he can do it all himself, then I am afraid that the only sign of him ever being there will be a faint skid mark on the floor.

telephonenumber
18th Nov 2014, 22:21
Can anybody tell me the start date at CASA for Mark Skidmore?

Captain Sand Dune
19th Nov 2014, 05:39
About a week before the Christmas break?:E

The name is Porter
9th Mar 2015, 01:51
Dear Mr Skidmore,

Congratulations on your appointment. If I could provide you with some feedback you may get an idea of the contempt that the majority of Pilots, Engineers & ATC's hold your organisation. I realise that this feedback means nothing to most CASA's employees, they know that they don't have to provide a service or meet any KPI's, being government employees they are unsackable and unaccountable.

I digress, I'm rostered on today but need to check whether my medical has been reinstated before performing duty. I've been on hold for 1 hour, 16 minutes and 42 seconds. I first rang avmed to be greeted with a recording advising me that Avmed would be closed between the 24th of December to the 2nd of January. mmmm, 9th of March, should be ok :ok: then your service hung up on me, twice.

* You cannot consider your regulation as competent when you can't change a recording that's 2 months old and incorrect.

I rang the switchboard and advised them, they told me that due to the public holiday they were short of staff, public holiday, really? Not in NSW it's not.

* Aviation is 24/7 365. But you've got to have your public holidays off?

Bludgers the lot of you. Anyway, I'm sitting here, waiting (1:25:58) after having been told by the recording that I was first in the queue. The bludger that is there is on lunch?? Meanwhile industry grinds to a halt while you enjoy your long weekend. My employer cops a day's pay for me whilst being charged by you for a service you don't provide.

Oh yeah, I tried the new self service portal. The new portal has my name, address, birth date and no record of my ratings or medical status. The old portal is not available. Another service we've paid for but your incompetent organisation has failed to provide.

You are killing aviation off and you couldn't give a fark. Do the bludgers realise that once it's dead they won't have a job regardless of being a government employee?

1 hour, 32 minutes & 36 seconds on hold, first in line, liars as well :ok:

IFEZ
9th Mar 2015, 02:32
Porter,
Unfortunately you're experience is symptomatic of most government and utility organisations these days. They all profess to care about 'customer service' but nothing could be further from the truth. In my experience, customer service these days is non-existent. If I get told one more time how important my call is, whilst being left on hold for over an hour, I'm going to lose my s*&t. CASA along with phone companies, electricity, postal, car rego et al, a pox on the lot of you.

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2015, 02:51
Good rant Porter, but may I make a suggestion?

Finish it when you can, print it and post it snail mail to Skidmore himself with copies to the Minister, a few Govt backbenchers, your local member, Nick X, and a few opposition front benchers.:ooh:

Someone out of that lot should be able to stir a few things up a bit.:hmm:

Up-into-the-air
9th Mar 2015, 02:53
Here is Mark's e-mail address. Please ensure that you remind him of what actually happens in his broken organisation. I have, we must.

His choice whether anything actually happens!!

Mark will actually talk to you, but I think he is a bit overwhelmed about the depth of the problems.

[email protected]
[email protected]

His secretary is:

[email protected]

The name is Porter
9th Mar 2015, 03:16
Pinky & UITA,

I will be taking this further, thanks for the email addresses. They will all hear from me.

I know the phone call is an exercise in futility but I'm letting it run to see how long it remains on hold

2 hours, 57 minutes, 8 seconds.

Soteria
9th Mar 2015, 04:25
Porter, if you really want to have some fun or make sure they respond to you please copy in Senator Xenophon in the email trail, and perhaps 4 Corners. You should also CC the CASA Board and the Ministers office, they really hate that.

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2015, 04:58
Agree with Soteria;( I did mention Senator X and the Minister) but may I suggest that snail mail would possibly be better as e-mails are far too easily deleted by the 'flunkies' who work for the people mentioned.:ugh:

Better chance of a letter actually being read by the Person to whom it was sent, maybe?

Just my idea.

4 Corners? What a lovely idea!!:ok::ok:
Can anyone guess why?:D

sunnySA
9th Mar 2015, 06:01
I first rang avmed to be greeted with a recording advising me that Avmed would be closed between the 24th of December to the 2nd of January. mmmm, 9th of March, should be ok then your service hung up on me, twice.

* You cannot consider your regulation as competent when you can't change a recording that's 2 months old and incorrect.

I rang the switchboard and advised them, they told me that due to the public holiday they were short of staff, public holiday, really? Not in NSW it's not.

* Aviation is 24/7 365. But you've got to have your public holidays off?

AVMED is a disgrace, they should be available 24/7, 365, albeit with a reduced capability on weekends and public holidays. The Christmas shutdown is a farce of the highest proportions, probably driven by some buffoon trying to reduce the rec. leave liability. For each shift that an air traffic controller is unable to work due to AVMED costs the Aviation Industry a minimum of $1,000 per day.

The name is Porter
9th Mar 2015, 08:44
Well, was on hold for 4 or so hours before it cut out, wasn't expecting it to be answered just curious as to how long the public servant (servant is a curious name for this lot) would sit there and watch it flash.

You can no longer be angry with these clowns, that would damage your health. I'm gob smacked at how incompetent this mob are and how they get away with user pays when they clearly don't deliver what you pay up-front for and how they just do-not-give-a-flying-fark.

Is Mr Skidmore going to introduce accountability?

Creampuff
9th Mar 2015, 10:15
But you need to understand that their job is not to help you.

Their job is to save the world from you.

At your expense.

The safety of air navigation is paramount. If everyone's on holidays and your paperwork can't be processed, the outcome is 'safe' for air naviation.

Your stress levels, employment prospects and life plans are ultimately a small price to pay, because if you're not flying or controlling air traffic, you cannot be a risk to the safety of air navigation.

Remember: The safety of air navigation is paramount.

It's not like you're a free citizen with rights.

You exist to be regulated.

LeadSled
9th Mar 2015, 14:28
Is Mr Skidmore going to introduce accountability?

Folks,
I would be surprised if the choice of executive pot plants changed.
Tootle pip!!

CaptainMidnight
10th Mar 2015, 00:35
I'm rostered on today but need to check whether my medical has been reinstated before performing duty. Perhaps I've missed something, but why would you be chasing AVMED on the day you have a duty shift, instead of (say) the week before?

In my organisation I'd get a blast if I hadn't sorted things out myself well before. In fact there's a management instruction that we're totally responsible for ensuring our medical is valid and up to date.

The name is Porter
10th Mar 2015, 01:46
Simple, I was on a medical standown a week before. Bit useless ringing them to check that I'd be stood up a week before when I'm not stood up and won't be til the date of return.

Duck Pilot
10th Mar 2015, 08:23
Not a very good idea trying to get anything important out of any government department on a public holiday......................

Write letters to the DAS, ministers and who ever else you like, but they won't be answered if it is found that the issue could have been resolved on a normal working day. They certainly will question the urgency of the case before they respond, if it wasn't urgent in their opinion expect no response.

Good luck, and I assume you have got your issue sorted out now.

Pinky the pilot
10th Mar 2015, 11:07
Was it a Public Holiday yesterday? It was in SA; for a bloody horse race of all things:ugh::yuk: but elsewhere?

I do note however, that according to my AFAP diary that it was Canberra Day in the ACT*. Is that a Public holiday?:confused:

* Also Eight hours day in Tasmania and Labour day in Victoria.:hmm:

The name is Porter
10th Mar 2015, 11:55
Write letters to the DAS, ministers and who ever else you like, but they won't be answered if it is found that the issue could have been resolved on a normal working day.

The issue as I see it is we as in Pilots, LAME's & ATC's work in a 24/7, 365 environment but the 'regulator' doesn't, you can't see a problem in this?

Duck Pilot
10th Mar 2015, 12:44
If we want a 24/7 service from any regulator the end user must be prepared to pay for it. The end users aren't the pilots, LAMEs and ATCs, they are the fare paying passengers by large.

Go down to your local pub and ask a few patrons if they would be happy to cough up another 50 bucks on their elcheapo airline ticket to cover CASA's 24/7 service. I'm sure most punters would welcome the proposal 😄

Enough said lets move on.......

Sunfish
10th Mar 2015, 20:30
Lets say it was a QF A 380 being held up. Do you think CASA might do something different?

CaptainMidnight
10th Mar 2015, 21:10
I suspect QF wouldn't roster someone for a flight if there was still a question re their medical validity on their date of return -

Mach E Avelli
10th Mar 2015, 21:46
Porter, if you were on a medical stand down due to illness or injury (as opposed to some failure to meet the renewal criteria) and your medico had cleared you to fly, and there was an appropriate email or paper trail to CASA, what risk to SAFETY would have been posed had you just put yourself back on flying duties?
Mr Skidmore has already said that the new touchy feely CASA won't prosecute minor infractions of the rules. You and your doctor had discharged your responsibilities. If CASA were on an extended lunch break, that is not reason for you or your employer to be inconvenienced.
If more of us practiced gentle civil disobedience in trivial points of compliance, maybe CASA would be so overwhelmed that they would redirect their resources to the real issues affecting safety.
If that is really what Mr Skidmore wants, who are we to deny him?

The name is Porter
11th Mar 2015, 05:42
Mach, I had to go on medication permanently that required a ground trial, 30 days, not 29, not 31. The 30th day coincided with the infamous Monday public holiday. There was no point ring CASA on Friday, Saturday or Sunday to confirm that I'd be stood up on Monday as the DAME didn't & couldn't forward date the stand up. It was happening Monday. In the current environment that exists at CASA there was no effing way I was going to risk civil disobedience and a sizeable fine to potentially work without a medical. If my work had worn the fine and the rap I'd think about it but I believe that they couldn't even if they wanted to. I was rostered by my employer because they need me back up and running ASAP, I've been in my current employment for a long time so I'm at the top of the pay scale. This cost was passed onto industry.

For anyone to suggest that the flying public is CASA's only customer is simplistic. My employer directly pays CASA for a number of services. Yes, this cost is passed onto the flying public. That doesn't give the flying public the choice over how these services are delivered to my employer or the cost. I wish I had that control over how services are delivered to me.

Sunfish
12th May 2015, 22:31
So representatives of pilot and recreational aviation bodies met with AVM. Skidmore and his senior staff to voice some of their concerns about CASA.

Allegedly these "concerns" (complaints) were unknown to the good AVM, it was the first he had heard about them.

He promised to look into them. The representatives then left.

So AVM. Skidmore has another meeting with his senior staff. "What about these concerns?", he says. "Don't worry boss, it's all bull****" his loyal staff replies as one. "We'll handle it, we will draft you some letters to them".

…And off they go to draft some explanations as to why the concerns aren't really concerns, honeyed words that mean absolutely nothing, and the good AVM. signs the letter and posts it. Who else can advise AVM. Skidmore but the very culprits being complained about?

Meanwhile the senior staff concoct their vengeance against those who had the temerity to complain to the boss about their behaviour.

I learnt not to complain about public servants a very long time ago. In my case a direct meeting and appeal to the Minister (a friend) led directly to our ski club being refused a building permit for another Five years. That we were told was our punishment for complaining about the process.

Poor fools.

yr right
13th May 2015, 00:11
I am lead to believe that skidmore is visiting Casa outstations and g/a company's to hear they complaints and opinions. Let's see if it happens.

Horatio Leafblower
13th May 2015, 03:46
I have an appointment with him next week.

Pinky the pilot
13th May 2015, 05:18
Good luck Leafy!:ok:

Maybe you could also ask him just why they turned the ATPL Flight test from a 4 to 5 hundred dollar exercise into one that would now be well in excess of $20K.:ugh:

And also appears to be impossible to do in Australia!

The fustercluck that is Aviation in Australia these days.:rolleyes::mad:

B772
29th May 2017, 22:38
What is the cost of an ATPL flight test currently.

Duck Pilot
30th May 2017, 03:22
Current pass rate is dismal.

Thought an initial Command final sim check would be adequate enough! The aviation gods know better!

I'm a devil, not a god....

Connedrod
9th Jun 2017, 21:25
So the new das has been confirmed. Now some serious question need to be answered.

1st
Why did he not have the 3 AWI,s from fnq that wrote and signed flase statuary dec,s to try and obtain a prosecution sent to the feds or and the state police. Instead hold a interal investigation and saying that it was only beach agaist casa standard of conducts.
Wiriting a flase stat dec is not only a federal offence but also can be a state offence and i believe a 7 year goal term.
So now dose this make the the new das equal to the offence as a co-conspirator or trying to cover up the offence ?
Ill leave that up to you reading this to make your own choice.
However another question has to be asked dose that matter make him under the act to be a fit and proper person as the rest of us have to conduct our lives under to work or fly in this industry

2nd
Why did this same person have a security gaurd ask a person in a public building having coffee with a with the head of conduct stanards removed from the building with the frets of calling the federal police. The person in question was only having a coffee. He left the building quietly and without any provocation the same as he was as he had his coffee.

The industry is in decline currently. With this das we are dommed.

gerry111
10th Jun 2017, 11:06
Connedrod,

Please do some of us a favour and check your English. Perhaps before posting?

aroa
10th Jun 2017, 11:56
Never mind the spelling...note the messages.

And I can confirm embuggerance as in CYA 101 is alive and well in (Non) Aviation House, as in the just calling criminal allegations possible breaches of the Casa(joke) code.

And in the past spending a sh*tload of dollars to legitimize with a serious investigation what they already new...code breaches...but dont look at the criminality aspect.
(investigator's comment... they should all be in jail !)

All well looked after by Dr Discrepancy aka JA and Anustasi, the well know 'legal' acrobats.

That CAsA is a governance clusterfcuk of the first magnitude is without question ,,and the new DAS is right in the thick of it...and as part of it.
Definitely NOT a fit and proper person to have the gig.

Just remember folks, this new appointment is not about bringing aviation in Oz into the 21st century for the GA peasantory....its about life style for the bureaucratic elites for buckets of dosh, without any positive outcomes. Some faaarking Government "business"

Hanrahan was right.

aroa
13th Jun 2017, 08:23
Not sorry to be a 'thread stopper'... but Carbody is also involved in an arrest threat for an inquisitive industry participant having a quiet chatty coffee off lease at (Non) Aviation House.

So what does that tell you.?..the CASA Soviet approach to "stakeholder engagement" is alive and well, and they/the inhabitants of (Non) Av Hse will prosper under the continuing regime ..new chief, same Indians.
Hanrahan was very right.

Connedrod
14th Jun 2017, 06:38
Aroa
It would not matter how i spell it wrote it what i said it would get response to the opposite.
Funny thats why the industry is in the position it is in now. 10% of brain power to make a change and 99% to know were that change is going to take you. Narrow minded people. The only chance we have if the us president drains the casa swamp.

Gerry as your soooooo good how about you pm me with a date as too you comming here for a week and we can see your skills and credibility in regards maintenance agaist myself. I guessing i should not hold my breath though.

gerry111
14th Jun 2017, 12:34
Gerry as your soooooo good how about you pm me with a date as too you comming here for a week and we can see your skills and credibility in regards maintenance agaist myself. I guessing i should not hold my breath though.

Connedrod, I've accepted your offer of a visit but not for a whole week. You'll note that I've requested further details, so please check your pm's.