PDA

View Full Version : Medical Renewal in Auckland

PilotInPink
16th Oct 2014, 14:33
Can someone please recommend the cheapest place to get my Class 1 renewed in Auckland?

I know the CAA fee is the same everywhere, but I'm sure the doctor charge varies a lot.

My last few were done in Remuera, but the company paid. New job means I have to cover this one myself... Ouch.

27/09
16th Oct 2014, 21:14
Mate, I'd doubt it's worth the bother of comparing prices. It's likely to be only 20 or 30 bucks on a job that including the CAA rip off fee is going to run to at least $600. Less than 5% of the cost.

Just go and get it done where you have before

lilflyboy262...2
17th Oct 2014, 02:44
Are you on a Bots licence or validation? If you are on a licence then you won't need to keep your NZ one current.

PilotInPink
17th Oct 2014, 05:14
I remember hearing about somewhere that was about $100 cheaper than Remuera... But I didn't store the information in an easily accessible part of my brain.

And unfortunately, Lilflyboy, I'm still flying on a validation. I won't even use the medical in NZ, but it's a necessary evil.

27/09
17th Oct 2014, 08:55
Remember other than extras like ECG's and the CAA rip off there's two components to the medical fee, the examination fee and the assessment fee. If you're talking about where I think you're talking they do the examination and the assessment. So charge the two fees together.

Some other places may only be able to do the examination and need to send your paper work to someone else for assessment. The initial fee will be cheaper but you still need to pay for the assessment when it's done. Perhaps this is why you thought there was a lower price elsewhere.

lilflyboy262...2
18th Oct 2014, 02:43
Ah! I'm in the same boat as you... I have to keep my IFR current as well :ouch:
2-3K later.... Urgh

The one at Remuera cost around $600 last time with the CAA fees.

deadcut
18th Oct 2014, 04:02
What? How does that work?

Why do you need to keep your NZ IFR current if you are working overseas?

HardCorePawn
18th Oct 2014, 05:53
The joys of flying overseas on a validation...

It requires your "mother licence" (and associated medical and ratings etc) to remain "current"... Otherwise the validation is no longer valid...

zlin77
18th Oct 2014, 06:58
Having flown overseas in two countries on a validation of my licence, it was only the medical that was required, the Instrument Rating was attached to the local validation…