PDA

View Full Version : Heads-Up: Sea Fury on BBC1 Close Calls

Mick Strigg
16th Oct 2014, 11:16
On Wednesday 29 October at 11:45am, BBC1 will be showing the programme "Close Calls". It will feature the fascinating story of how the CO of the Royal Navy Historic Flight heroically got the Sea Fury onto the ground after a catastrophic failure of the engine during his display at RNAS Culdrose Air Day.

Set your Sky+ then donate through www.fnht.co.uk (http://www.fnht.co.uk) to get the aircraft back in the air.

Tashengurt
16th Oct 2014, 14:03
"heroically"?
Exceptional skills, clarity and swiftness of thought and actions but heroic?
He didn't have many options did he?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

airborne_artist
16th Oct 2014, 14:07
All I want to know is how many primary schools he managed to avoid?

Mick Strigg
16th Oct 2014, 14:19
Tash, just watch the programme as Chris talks about the options he considered, including jumping out!

AnglianAV8R
16th Oct 2014, 16:34
Don't forget the puppy farm :eek:

Seriously though, a great bit of airmanship :D

Mick Strigg
27th Oct 2014, 11:12
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0uFDlwCYAAK-Bz.jpg

Wander00
27th Oct 2014, 11:13
and apparently a "gliding" accident/incident today

BrizeWatcher
28th Oct 2014, 18:21
Watched that episode yesterday, pilot of the glider had a very lucky escape. Don't forget Sea Fury programme on 11.45am tomorrow.

mr fish
28th Oct 2014, 19:16
in 1977 myself and a couple of mates snuk into TOLLERTON aerodrome via a back fence to watch the display on top of a old concrete bunker cum machinegun post.
after a display by an old Vickers varsity we scanned the skys using binos to watch for a sea fury coming in.
I picked her up couple of miles out at low level flying fast.."bloody hell, shes close " I thought and pulled down my 10x50s to realise she was WAY closer than I anticipated.
I had to properly duck and screamed like a little girl as she passed over our heads less than thirty feet above at about 350k.!!

made our day!!!!

no idea how many sea furies were airworthy in GB at this time...could this be the same aircraft??

FISH.

Valiantone
28th Oct 2014, 21:40
Mr Fish

of the 3 that I know of that are airworthy

None are currently flying, The RNHF FB.11 and TFC T.20 are currently engineless.

V1

Mick Strigg
29th Oct 2014, 12:59
Did you see it? If not, it's on again at 0730 Thursday on BBC2. There is always BBC iPlayer as well.

BEagle
29th Oct 2014, 22:54
A very good account of the incident from Chris - and not too sensationalised by the meeja-luvvies either.

I wasn't able to make the FNHT Supporters' Day this year, but hope that my monthly contribution, small though it is, will help get the 'Fury back in the air before too long - with Chris at the helm, naturally!

India Four Two
29th Oct 2014, 23:04
I've just watched the show and was impressed by Chris' description, although I was not impressed by the format of the show and the breathless presentation.

Can someone explain to me the reason for the "out-of-control" dive and the reference to an Auto setting? Was this a propellor pitch issue?

What was the cause of the engine failure?