PDA

View Full Version : OCTU Briefing card

hawkeye
15th Oct 2014, 16:44
Gentlemen,
Many years ago, during my time at OCTU, I was given a management card, hand written and copied by the thousand, which led simple souls like me through the principles of managing an operation. On one side were three circles with the words Task, Team and Individual in overlapping circles. On the other side were a breakdown of what applied under each heading. The first item under Task needs was 'Appreciation'.

My daughter is currently applying for grad schemes and it is evident from the questions that the principles which we learned at the OCTU from our little cards are very relevant in answering the questions.

I kept my card for years but, during a clear out and house move I threw it away. Does anyone have such a card that they can scan and e-mail to me? It may be that the RAF has moved on and put the stuff on a pdf. Does anyone have one?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you in anticipation

Wensleydale
15th Oct 2014, 16:49
FALA if I remember from 37 years ago - Functional Approach to leadership Analysis. (Don't have the card though).

stumblefingers
15th Oct 2014, 16:59
Having spent 2.5 years as a Flt Cdr, and a year as a Sqn Cdr at OCTU in the mid 70s, I remember FALA well. The only link I can find to it is via the Air Training Corps, who borrowed the concept from us. Here it is:
Functional Leadership (http://www.airtrainingcorps.org/cadets_area/functional_leadership.htm)

Sun Who
15th Oct 2014, 17:00
It's the functional model of leadership, developed by John Adair and adopted by the RAF as the basis of its basic leadership programmes (Officer, Senior and Junior NCO) many years ago.

Action Centered Leadership (http://www.learn-to-be-a-leader.com/john-adair.html)

He's written a number of simple, clear books on leadership that are worth reading, and re-reading, even by experienced leaders. In a world bent on over-complicating everything, I find Adair to be a beacon of common sense and experience in an area that has sprouted a plethora of bulsh1tters.

Sun.

nutnurse
15th Oct 2014, 19:34
Would this have been at the Camp on Blood Island? I seem to remember some questionable advice on the role of regular drill as a means of maintaining morale amongst bored airmen. Oh, really, technicians and others with highly responsible jobs, being yelled at by a thick DI (of that period) or, worse, a squadron NCO who didn't believe in what he had been ordered to do? I think not. Most definitely a managerial solution, not a leadership one.

Courtney Mil
15th Oct 2014, 22:07
I ate my FALA card.

nutnurse
15th Oct 2014, 22:10
Was that before PAYD?

Courtney Mil
15th Oct 2014, 22:13
WAY before. And a better standard of cuisine, I think.

Lima Juliet
15th Oct 2014, 22:17
I'm a SMEAC man, myself.

Situation
Mission
Execution
Any questions
Check understanding

Still had the overlapping circles on the card, though! :ok:

LJ

Courtney Mil
15th Oct 2014, 22:23
Ain't those the bad guys in James Bond?

XN593
16th Oct 2014, 07:39
1973 RAF Henlow 275 Yellow Sqn
It took longer to scan than to find.
But I am surprised no one else has their copy to hand.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o764/XN593/OCTU1_zps58cbf7f3.jpg

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o764/XN593/OCTU2_zpsd9d82c5a.jpg

Hope it helps

XN593
Edit to update links

Wensleydale
16th Oct 2014, 07:44
I presume that the modern card has just one circle which is labelled "Task Needs" and carries the legend "Get it done as quickly as possible or else".:uhoh:

rarelyathome
16th Oct 2014, 08:49
I think you mean as cheaply as possible!

Tankertrashnav
16th Oct 2014, 09:02
I have no recollection of that from OCTU (Feltwell 1964) but I do remember GSMEAC from my regiment course at Catterick as the model sequence when briefing before an operation

Ground
Situation
Mission
Execution
Admin & Logistics
Communications

gayford
16th Oct 2014, 09:04
It's all new to me, they had not invented it for Feltwell in 1965 !!

MPN11
16th Oct 2014, 10:12
It's all new to me, they had not invented it for Feltwell in 1965!!
I don't remember it either, but it was a quality intake year :cool:

Four Types
16th Oct 2014, 10:16
On the E-3D fleet we ran all operations on the L.A.T.H.E.R principle :-

L = Location
A = Allowances
T = Transport Hire Car
H = Hotel
E = Entertainment
R = Rations (in flight)

Worked well for us!!.....

Dan Winterland
16th Oct 2014, 12:33
You have to watch 'Twelve OÇlock High' next.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Oct 2014, 12:52
Much is done neither cheaply or quickly these days.

Get it done in the manner which least affects the boss's chances of job security and pay raises.

In most cases, this means doing it exactly how you've always done, but integrating any new directive from on-high (no matter how stupid), whilst paying lip-service to any laws, H&S, etc.
Leadership only asks for input on the explicit understanding that said input will not rock the boat in any way.
The best methods for assuring nothing goes wrong on your watch is: Shouting, and silent prayers.

Courtney Mil
16th Oct 2014, 15:57
I love the bit about "motivating, PRAISING, giving a sense of purpose." I hadn't realised just how out of date my training is.

XN593
16th Oct 2014, 18:16
Don't knock it, I seem to recall that with the leadership card in ones top pocket, a few pine poles, a length of rope and an enthusiastic team of fellow cadets (anyone fancy a recourse) one could build the Eiffel Tower in the middle of Thetford Forest.

nutnurse
16th Oct 2014, 19:00
I don't recall it at Jurby in 63. Being a serving airman, I only had to do Term 2, in which we learned how, when and in which circles to pass the Port.

I've been looking with wry amusement at its lack of usage in the NHS in my post-RAF days.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Oct 2014, 20:03
one could build the Eiffel Tower in the middle of Thetford Forest
Indeed XN593.
Myself and a fellow engineering graduate were called into the Sqn Cdr's office on IOT ("What have we done now?"); and informed that the King of Jordan was coming in two days, we could have two cadet flights, limitless pine poles and rope, barrels, etc, and we were to "Build something impressive".

King Hussein was duly impressed by a mini-version of the Golden Gate bridge - usable! (by very light cadets wearing 2 combat jackets each to look normal, and with rucksacks full of foam ;)).

Wander00
17th Oct 2014, 21:02
I have several memories from my IOT flt commandeering days, but the abiding one is of a very cold bright morning on Salisbury Plain as my flight set off on their task -9 guys in front and one a few yards behind with 2 pine poles and several 40ft lashing ropes - sadly it was that cadet's lead - not an easy exercise report to write

hawkeye
23rd Oct 2014, 11:24
Thank you for all your help. I have copied the scanned card and checked out Mr Adair's website. I had forgotten how useful the leadership info was. Clear, simple and ultimately effective. And as one wag has suggested I should watch 12 o'clock High, not forgetting Yangtze Incident with Richard Todd.

Madbob
23rd Oct 2014, 11:52
Leading from the front.......

I was at Henlow on 334 Cse (Blue Sqn) and my Flt Cdr was a Flt Lt Roebuck. We were his second course and it had been a wet and cold winter.....

During the camp at Stanta in Norfolk the local river (the Wissey) had burst its banks and water was practically everywhere. Sadly I can't claim the credit for what happened next but a recoursee (Keith W) had the lead and with "right flight, I'm not going to lead you anywhere I'm not prepared to go myself" proceeded to lead us deeper and deeper into the water. It got over our "privates" and nearly to our chests before it stared to get shallower.

Meanwhile, our illustrious Flt Cdr waited in the only dry patch as we all dutifully followed our leader for the exercise as we cracked on. (We had a one-for-all and all-for-one ethos in our flight...:ok:.)

It was only when we had made it across that Flt. Lt. Roebuck, having no option than to follow us, duly did so. 3 months later at the end-of-course grad he confessed that it was the only time he'd got his feet wet inside his boots as a Flt Cdr, let alone 60% of his body. Naturally, he had no option but to commend the cadet lead for his leadership skills:ok:, even if Keith's navigation wasn't 100%. (Well Keith wasn't blame for that, we were both GD/P.....not GD/N after all.)

Happy days.

MB

teeteringhead
23rd Oct 2014, 12:50
And as one wag has suggested I should watch 12 o'clock High, Not just banter hawkeye. It was used a lot in leadership training when I were a lad.

Three times in one day IIRC!! :ugh:

First time just to watch - then the "Functional Leadership" lecture(s).

Second time to make our own assessments of Gregory Peck and Gary Merrill's leadership.

Then the debrief and the "DS Solution".

And then a third time to see where we'd gone wrong!

Courtney Mil
23rd Oct 2014, 19:58
NX593, may I steal your images of the FALA card to use for immoral and despicable purposes on my website? I'd hate for it to be lost forever. PM me your details so that I can credit you, please?

XN593
23rd Oct 2014, 21:05
CM
PM sent. Reading your web site makes me think we must be of the same era.

Regards
XN593

Courtney Mil
23rd Oct 2014, 21:15
I'm sure we are. And what a great era, XN?

N2erk
24th Oct 2014, 00:14
As I remember, 12 o'clock high was used as an example of how to& how not to lead.
Also remember watching "War in the Air" series as part of the service history section of OPC at OCTU. :)

dmussen
24th Oct 2014, 02:32
Me,
Red Sqn. Henlow in 1970. Can't recall the course No.
One of our DS was a rock ape Flt.Lt.
After having done the lectures and watched 12 O'Clock High et al we were somewhere near a monument in Thetford. I can recall that it was dawn with snow and bloody cold.
Said rock ape got terribly upset about something or someone and proceeded to Bollock us all. During this bollocking he told us in no uncertain terms that functional leadership concepts were rubbish and the name of the game was to "get the bloody job done no matter what". I thought him to be a total tosser then and I still think that now.
I still use the concept to this day and guess what, it works.

Per Ardua Ad Loungebar

charliegolf
9th Apr 2015, 09:38
And was/is it used at BRNC and Sandhurst?

I've been asked to teach a Btec unit on Leadership from the 'Uniformed Public Services' course at Level 3 (about equal to an AS Level).

It would be good if it were still used, especially at all three colleges of knowledges! Ta.

CG

Dan Winterland
10th Apr 2015, 05:53
Having spoken to an ex-pongo mate, sounds like it was used at Sandhurst. They got to watch 12 o'clock high too!

I gather Gregory Peck has now been replaced with Tom Hanks in Apollo 13. It seems that how to make something out of a complete clusterf#ck is deemed more appropriate for the modern RAF.

Wander00
10th Apr 2015, 06:50
ISTR at some stage The Industrial Society went from using 12 O'clock High to the BBC Shackleton (the explorer, dummies) series. I taught using the "12 O'clock High" programme at the Towers 82-84

charliegolf
10th Apr 2015, 07:48
Thanks both.

Would either of you, or anyone else, know if FALA is still being used?

Cheers.

CG

Dan Winterland
10th Apr 2015, 09:43
I went through Cranditz after it went comprehensive in the early 80's when political correctness wasn't heard of and the big battle plan revolved around turning most of Eastern Europe into glass. I suspect FALA is a bit too direct for modern sensitive officer types and a more touch-feely fluffy bunny approach is more appropriate.

I know someone who I can ask though.

charliegolf
10th Apr 2015, 10:44
Thanks Dan, appreciate it.

CG