PDA

View Full Version : IR(r) course - PIC hours?

AlphaMale
12th Oct 2014, 18:48
Hi all,

It's been a while since posting, despite reading a few threads when I get the time.

I was lucky to win an ATPL GS scholarship with BGS at the end of 2013. However, my SEP has lapsed due to business commitments, so no chance of hour building until this is re-validated by the examiner.

I'll then be looking to build experience (need an additional 89hrs PIC before the CPL), I will be looking to get the Night qualification and IR(r) courses done this winter which will give me more opportunity to build hours along with experiencing different types of flying conditions. I appreciate the IR(r) isn't needed, but the big question is...

If I carry out 15hrs of IR(r) course flying hours, how many of those will count toward the 100pic/150tt?

Appreciate the feedback.

OhNoCB
12th Oct 2014, 19:07
The successful LST will count towards PIC time (log PICUS).

All the training will count towards TT but not PIC time.

AlphaMale
12th Oct 2014, 20:44
Cheers OhNoCB,

I guessed that would've be the case. Still, it should give me more interesting flights, increase confidence during hour-building and while also increasing my chances of passing the CPL / ME-IR with a first time pass.

Thanks

Morris542
16th Oct 2014, 11:37
I did the IR(r)/IMC during my hour building and it was invaluable for the following reasons:

1. A new challenge and a different sort of flying.
2. Improves your flying/planning/decision making abilities.
3. When you have it you can hour build when the weather would have previously prevented you from doing so.
4. Great preparation for the IR. Most of the course you would have already done - It will be about practise and perfecting techniques rather than discovering it all for the first time!
5. It was fun.