PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Cessna 150/152 for hire

rssluca
12th Oct 2014, 12:47
Hi everyone,

Do you know of anyone hiring his C150/152 in BK or CN other than schools? I need to build PIC time towards 200hrs CPL..

I found some old posts here but nothing recent.

Thanks in advance.

Elevator Driver
12th Oct 2014, 20:32
Sent you a private message

I have a 152 in melbourne $160hr wet charged on airswitch, depending on number of hours required would be willing to relocate it.

Centaurus
13th Oct 2014, 01:30
Cessna 150/152. Before you fly it, check the operation of the Fuel on/off valve in the cockpit. Some jam solid and can't be moved without risk breaking the shank. You must be able to turn the fuel valve off in event of a fire or forced landing. The aircraft is un-airworthy if fuel valve jams. Secondly, check the ease of use of the primer plunger. Some bind and are difficult to move. You might need to use the primer to prime the fuel lines before re-starting, if the propeller stops during closed throttle operation in the air such as stall recovery practice. Check correct operation of the park brake. They are often inoperative due lack of proper maintenance or lack of pilot reporting in the MR. .

Finally ensure you know the min static RPM range at full throttle. This should be in the AFM and generally 2280 to 2380 (C152). Some aircraft have a cruise prop fitted and have a different minimum static RPM figure. Correct min static RPM check should ensure the engine is delivering the advertised power during take off. RPM gauges have known to be faulty and the min static RPM check might show this up.

Frank Arouet
13th Oct 2014, 02:29
Do the sums; 200 hours x say $150 wet = $30,000. Money gone.

Buy one for $30,000- add 200 hours x20 LPH fuel =4,000 litres mogas, at say $1.60 per litre = $6,400 ($36,400) and you still have something to sell after one annual. They don't depreciate that much, carry your own insurance and waste the engine hours. Get a mate to go halves.
I know there are many variables but this statement should get the attention it needs to start a discussion on pro/con.

illusion
13th Oct 2014, 02:43
Confucious say if it FLYs FLOATS or F :mad: Ks......

Rent it......:=

50 50
13th Oct 2014, 04:05
Good idea Frank, and one I have looked into. Only problem is SIDs. If you can find one that has been inspected, and passed/certified compliant then your laughing.

If you purchase one without SIDS inspection you may well be up for a cardiac inducing shock at the first 100 hourly.

Clare Prop
13th Oct 2014, 06:04
Not a bad idea to buy one (provided SIDS done) but don't bank on being able to sell it in a hurry. Aeroplanes are not a very liquid asset...

Ultralights
13th Oct 2014, 06:40
if you buy one, @30K and sell it a a firesale price, say, @20K, it will sell, and you will still be better off.

just make sure its sids compliant.

mustafagander
13th Oct 2014, 09:07
rssluca,

I'd suggest walking into every place which hires out C150/2 and getting a price on hours by the block, say 25 at a time. You might be surprised at how much some businesses want cash flow.

Squawk7700
13th Oct 2014, 09:38
There's a 172 on aviation advertiser, $22k or make an offer ...

Frank Arouet
13th Oct 2014, 09:59
That's a 175A Skylark. A geared Continental 0-300 which was seriously underestimated by a lot of people in the 60's. Much in demand these days for a 180 Lycoming conversion, but still a collectors piece by any standard. Unsure if these have SIDS considerations. (Also a "Mouse for $23K and a PA-28 140 for $26,500). Fuel now becomes a consideration. Probably best stick with plan A for the exercise. Remember the best aeroplane in the world is the one a bit bigger and a bit faster than the one you have. The block time quote idea has merit for comparison.

rssluca
14th Oct 2014, 09:07
Thank you all for your messages guys:)

I just passed the 100hrs mark and need about 75hrs PIC for CPL and 30 for MECIR. I suppose I will need to spend some more $$$ in training for the latter and I don't think the CFO would allow me to access the house deposit fund, so I don't think I will be able to buy any time soon :rolleyes:

I did consider that option earlier though but didn't really look into insurance, parking and maintenance costs. I think those would need to be added to Frank's fuel cost estimate.

Elevator Driver
31st Oct 2014, 13:25
hey people

i know of a 152 being offered for a very limited number of hours very very cheap...

only available next week from the 4th through the 6th of november at moorabbin

Jabawocky
31st Oct 2014, 18:33
Centaurus,
Secondly, check the ease of use of the primer plunger. Some bind and are difficult to move. You might need to use the primer to prime the fuel lines before re-starting, if the propeller stops during closed throttle operation in the air such as stall recovery practice.

I am scratching my head at why this is a sensible practise, and despite what might be in some old POH's, this could likely prevent a restart.

A better method is get the prop spinning, with WOT and do a mixture sweep from ICO-FR and repeat slowly if it does not catch the first time. Do not pump away at it like you would with throttle during a primer-less engine start when starting in the ground. At low levels it will be close to full rich when she fires up.

As to your comments on primers, you are quite right, they mostly cause problems, and are better off removed!

Is there some personal experience I or others can learn from your days past?

Aussie Bob
31st Oct 2014, 20:27
As to your comments on primers, you are quite right, they mostly cause problems, and are better off removed!

Ok Jabba, I rip the priming system from my bird and bin it. One question though; how do I start it without pumping the throttle and letting fuel drip into the cowl?

Elevator Driver
31st Oct 2014, 23:48
hey people

i know of a 152 being offered for a very limited number of hours very very cheap...

only available next week from the 4th through the 6th of november at moorabbin

think early 2000's prices.... pm for more details

Jabawocky
1st Nov 2014, 02:28
Bob, I am glad you are a thinking man!

That would be a dumb idea if you sat there pumping away. What can you do that ensures the fuel and air gets sucked up into the engine? ;)

A large number of O320/360 machines around doing it quite successfully if you poke around a bit.

Cracked primer lines are a problem as are the plungers etc.

Done right the new old method does everything it should and nothing it shouldn't .

Arnold E
1st Nov 2014, 03:31
I had a 150 for a number of years and never ever used the primer. not actually sure if it worked.:)

uncle8
1st Nov 2014, 05:48
I also had a C150 for a number of years. Always used the primer, it worked.

Centaurus
1st Nov 2014, 11:08
A better method is get the prop spinning

Incident: Instructor and student practicing gliding turns. During straight glide and approaching 1000 feet above the coast the propeller gradually slowed down over a 15 second period and stopped. Instructor transmitted Mayday and turned to ditch along side boat that was 50 yards off shore. Student petrified so instructor reached across student and attempted restart re starter key with no luck. Instructor again reached over and gave one pump at primer then tried a restart. Immediate start accomplished at 500 feet. By sheer chance the same instructor had a few weeks earlier endorsed the maintenance release for a jamming primer plunger which was rectified by an LAME
Interestingly, same aircraft with different instructor had stopped prop during lead up to practice stall recovery. Instructor dived aircraft to get prop turning and after considerable height loss was successful. Instructor should have endorsed the defect in maintenance release but elected not to do. The reason for the prop stopping lay undetected until the next time the aircraft flew and came to close to ditching.

Avgas172
1st Nov 2014, 22:02
if you buy one, @30K and sell it a a firesale price, say, @20K, it will sell, and you will still be better off.

just make sure its sids compliant.

Doing my SIDS program at the moment on the 172, costs plus engine if req will be in excess of 20K, this includes eddy current inspections, fulfilling the entire Cessna Mandatory SB's, and expected repair costs. With that in mind I can't see any chance I would be selling same for 20-30K, better to just scrap it, however there is a mid life N model around with SIDS compliance for 45K that would be a reasonable deal. :ok:

Jabawocky
2nd Nov 2014, 00:32
Incident: Instructor and student practicing gliding turns. During straight glide and approaching 1000 feet above the coast the propeller gradually slowed down over a 15 second period and stopped. Instructor transmitted Mayday and turned to ditch along side boat that was 50 yards off shore. Student petrified so instructor reached across student and attempted restart re starter key with no luck. Instructor again reached over and gave one pump at primer then tried a restart. Immediate start accomplished at 500 feet. By sheer chance the same instructor had a few weeks earlier endorsed the maintenance release for a jamming primer plunger which was rectified by an LAME
Interestingly, same aircraft with different instructor had stopped prop during lead up to practice stall recovery. Instructor dived aircraft to get prop turning and after considerable height loss was successful. Instructor should have endorsed the defect in maintenance release but elected not to do. The reason for the prop stopping lay undetected until the next time the aircraft flew and came to close to ditching.

That incident proves very little other than the engine required more fuel (on one or two cylinders) to get a start. Does that report explain where the throttle and mixture were set? Does it detail there being likely intake leaks from the primer? I suspect that the throttle was at idle (closed butterfly) and mixture full rich, the most likely combination to get a flame out besides ICO.

Having nosed over, (not at best glide), the best position for the throttle is WOT, lots of air and fuel potential and minimal restriction in the carb/fcu on the engine allowing the rpm to increase with the minimum effort.

Without the prop turning at sufficient RPM, no amount of primer is going help.

Extract from a Cessna POH
ENGINE FAILURE DURING FLIGHT (Restart Procedures)
1. Airspeed -- 65 KIAS.
2. Fuel Shutoff Valve -- ON (push full in).
3. Fuel Selector Valve -- BOTH.
4. Auxiliary Fuel Pump Switch -- ON.
5. Mixture -- RICH (if restart has not occurred).
6. Ignition Switch -- BOTH (or START if propeller is stopped).
NOTE
If the propeller is windmilling, the engine will restart automatically within a few seconds. If the propeller has stopped (possible at low speeds), turn the ignition switch to START, advance the throttle slowly from idle (assumed to be WOT)and lean the mixture from full rich as required for smooth operation.(A mixture sweep)
7. Auxiliary Fuel Pump Switch -- OFF.

Centaurus
3rd Nov 2014, 04:16
Extract from a Cessna POH

Quote:

ENGINE FAILURE DURING FLIGHT (Restart Procedures)
1. Airspeed -- 65 KIAS.
2. Fuel Shutoff Valve -- ON (push full in).
3. Fuel Selector Valve -- BOTH.
4. Auxiliary Fuel Pump Switch -- ON.
5. Mixture -- RICH (if restart has not occurred).
6. Ignition Switch -- BOTH (or START if propeller is stopped).
NOTE
If the propeller is windmilling, the engine will restart automatically within a few seconds. If the propeller has stopped (possible at low speeds), turn the ignition switch to START, advance the throttle slowly from idle (assumed to be WOT)and lean the mixture from full rich as required for smooth operation.(A mixture sweep)
7. Auxiliary Fuel Pump Switch -- OFF

The C152 POH does not show an auxiliary fuel pump switch. While the above emergency checklist is valid in some series of Cessna singles, the incident described earlier left the instructor with precious little time/altitude to get the engine re-started. His prompt actions were successful and nobody got their feet wet.

Jabawocky
3rd Nov 2014, 12:32
Centaurus,

That nobody got their feet wet is true, however having or not having an electric boost pump has nothing at all to do with it.

If you wish to focus on what happened, why did they end up in the situation they did? I think you of all people subscribe to the theory that better training and critical thinking are the better way to do things. That is what I admire in all of your posts. The exception here is you wish to avoid the laws of physics, not apply your own rules of critical thought and just follow monkey see monkey do and then quote a reference to exactly that. One, where had better teaching and better in flight practise been exercised, as you would typically preach, there would not be a report to quote.

Your writings are always awesome reads, but this is a topic that deserves more critical thinking and less accepting the status quo.

Happy to discuss in private so not to thread drift this any further.