PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Rating

vortex2
11th Oct 2014, 06:02
If this is double thread feel free to point me in the right way and delete.

I am looking at doing my instructor rating and have been told that it isnt a req to have a current MECIR Or NVFR to complete for Grade 3, if someone could clarify this and point me to the regs it would be much appreciated.

manymak
11th Oct 2014, 08:29
Doesn't seem to be the case with new reg's unlike CAR5.

61.1235 Requirements for Grade 3 Aeroplane Training Endorsement - CPL/ATPL & Spinning Flight Activity Endorsement.

drpixie
11th Oct 2014, 22:41
Have a hunt around Part 61 - pretty much everything is given there; and if you do start instructing, you'll need to know your way around Part 61. (And around the Part 61 Manual Of Standards - the new syllabus!)

In essence - you no longer need IR or NVFR for G3. BUT (and it's a really big but) you do need one/other for Grade 2 - and someone with a basic Part 61 G3 is very restricted (can't do: even basic IF training, sign-off KDRs, issue RPL endorsements).

So, a fresh instructor will need NVFR sooner rather than later - I suggest it's worth doing at least NVFR before the instructor rating, and include all the instructor endorsements that you can.

(As all this is new, I doubt many schools have the required courses set-up for the various instructor endorsements - might take some time or demand before they are put in place.)

Munz
12th Oct 2014, 01:08
Having just completed my G3 initial, I can tell you that (for now anyway) that CIR/NVFR is not required for the rating. However, a PMI exam (same as the G1 exam under the old system) is required for ALL grades, including initial grade three.

vortex2
12th Oct 2014, 06:02
Thanks for the help everyone, I had read part 61 and that was my understanding just wanted to clarify if i should be in a rush to renew my MECIR or if i could hold off a few more months to get more use out of it!!.

:ok::ok:

ReverseFlight
13th Oct 2014, 02:53
Correct me if I am wrong - my understanding is that under the new Part 61 there is no need to go through an initial flight test to renew an MECIR even after a prolonged period of expiry but in the meantime you will not be able to exercise the privileges of your MECIR while it is expired. If you do not need to use it currently, then by all means defer it until a time when you need to activate it for use again - I presume that is what you mean by extending it.

Skydiveandy
13th Oct 2014, 04:42
Has the syllabus for the Initial Grade 3 changed ?

Given a PPL can conduct certain training under Part 61 ie; Design Feature endorsements etc..

Then i look at the table for Grade 3 which requires a minimum CPL

Does an initial Grade 3 still require the 50+ hours ?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Andy