PDA

View Full Version : next 15 years

pe37
9th Oct 2014, 08:48
Hi all
I am a french 210hrs TT Night rated PPL. 47 years old. I am planning to be flying pro for the next 15 years first in bush flying and then maybe biz jets duties.

My plan includes :
- class 1 in the uk
- Theoretical ATPL in the uk
- CPL IR and multi engine in south africa
I will relocate in any part of the world for a first job in Bushflying.

Would all the master yodas on the forum enlight me on some questions :

- job prospects for a 50 years old pilot in bush/Joy rides flying.
- use of passing the atpl in UK instead of going to do it in South Africa?
- latest retirement ages for pilots in which country?

Thank you in advance for your kind answers

Piltdown Man
9th Oct 2014, 09:49
A little more research is required my friend. For example, do you have the right to live and work in your chosen country? Then, why would you be employed instead of a local? Who would you work for? What licence would you need? What ratings would you need? What in your background makes you more suitable as a bush pilot than say me? And lastly, a turbo-prop operator flying in the bush implies one of two things. You'll be work for either an unpleasant bunch of god-botherers or tourists. Because as far as I know, Africa is not awash with cash and certainly has little to splash about on nice toys like turbo-prop aircraft.

JB007
9th Oct 2014, 11:08
210 TT, PPL, 47 years old!

I really don't wish to dampen any dreams or ambitions, but none of what you are suggesting is sensible in this present day industry!

pe37
9th Oct 2014, 14:49
Thank you piltdown for all these sensible questions.
Frankly i do not care about moving tourists or whatever as long as it is by air!
It looks like this joy ride business is good for building hours in namibia and the surrouding countries like bostwana and tanzania, if you own an frozen ATPl and a CPL.
I was considering doing the ATPL formation in south africa because it is cheaper and it would be more convenient to build relations in this area.
I am just wondering if a South african ATPL is well considered by european operators, should the need to come back arise?

pe37
9th Oct 2014, 14:51
Hi 007
do not worry for dampening, i have been past that a couple years ago now!
I heard this business has its cycles, so i hope begining now will put me right in time!

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2014, 16:24
Thank you piltdown for all these sensible questions.
Frankly i do not care about moving tourists or whatever as long as it is by air!
It looks like this joy ride business is good for building hours in namibia and the surrouding countries like bostwana and tanzania, if you own an frozen ATPl and a CPL.
I was considering doing the ATPL formation in south africa because it is cheaper and it would be more convenient to build relations in this area.
I am just wondering if a South african ATPL is well considered by european operators, should the need to come back arise?

In Europe you almost certainly need an EASA CPL or ATPL. A few jobs *might* be do-able with an FAA licence, but very few if any with a South African licence.

Not so much an issue of whether it's "well considered" or not, just how the regulations work out.

pe37
9th Oct 2014, 16:52
Thanks Khan!

kaptn
11th Oct 2014, 14:50
if you have money for the next 30 years, a house...don't think for a second..just go for it...

pe37
11th Oct 2014, 16:04
Hi Kaptn, house is ok, but money for 30 years is a bit of a problem:)
So i will have to find a profitable way to do this!