PDA

View Full Version : LN F-15 down...

Rhino power
8th Oct 2014, 15:03
An F-15(D?) from Lakenheath appears to have gone down, one crewman aboard who appears to have ejected safely...
Login ? FighterControl ? Home to the Military Aviation Enthusiast (http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105072&sid=878b3083da82d8290fd00fe25d8aee77)

Shock as F15 plane crashes into Lincolnshire field | Grimsby Telegraph (http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Shock-F15-plane-crashes-Lincolnshire-field/story-23063181-detail/story.html)

BBC News - USAF F-15 jet crashes in Lincolnshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064)

cldrvr
8th Oct 2014, 15:25
From Lakenheath? No further details.

Dysonsphere
8th Oct 2014, 15:41
BBC reporting pilot is safe no further news yet

DaveReidUK
8th Oct 2014, 15:42
Pilot reportedly OK.

BBC News - Military jet crashes in Lincolnshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064)

Typhoon93
8th Oct 2014, 15:48
Glad no one was hurt.

lifter191
8th Oct 2014, 15:51
Just to confirm F-15 crashed just outside Weston Hills, Nr Spalding... I saw Pilot and WSO eject safely and come down about 1 mile north of the village

G-ARVH
8th Oct 2014, 15:53
Aircraft down in Weston Hills area of Lincolnshire - Picture on this Twitter link...

https://twitter.com/NewsLine247/media

Linedog
8th Oct 2014, 15:54
AFAIK the F15D is a 2 seater. The news says the pilot escaped, but no news of another crewman. It may be the F15c which i think is a single seater.
I stand by to be corrected.

CaptainSox
8th Oct 2014, 16:00
BBC report Pilot believed to have ejected safely. Fingers crossed though.

BBC News - USAF F-15 jet crashes in Lincolnshire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064)

doyll
8th Oct 2014, 16:08
Have a couple friends who are X-fighter pilots. Ejecting is not a "safe" thing to be doing under the best of conditions .. but it beats the alternative. ;)

Courtney Mil
8th Oct 2014, 16:09
The F-15D is the two-seat version of the C. The rear seat does not have to be occupied. It's the instructor's seat, or as I usually used it, the place to take my buddies flying. It may not have been occupied in this case.

Here's hoping all is well.

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Oct 2014, 16:20
Courtney,

The rear seat gives you a better view of the Viper taking that final bit of pre-terminate lead!! :D

Advo (Is There a FC in the house?)

pohm1
8th Oct 2014, 16:31
BBC Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064)

At least he managed to miss the school.

Flightmech
8th Oct 2014, 16:32
Saw one flying around earlier as BALLS11. Apt call sign if this was the F-15 concerned.

KPax
8th Oct 2014, 16:32
Just watched an eye witness who saw the crash, he describes the ac coming down tail first in a spin with one of the wings landing in a separate field. He also describes two chutes. As a non aircrew type does the tail first spinning mean anything apart from OMG.

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Oct 2014, 16:43
Spin? 2 Chutes?

D Model, with 2 pilots. (Both OK Hopefully)?
Structural failure?
Mid Air- Other a/c lands?

Who Knows? Anything possible. But, the photos show the two tails and engines intact, so must have been a relatively slow speed impact..... I guess.

barnstormer1968
8th Oct 2014, 16:47
Pohm1

I initially thought your school comment was sarcasm until I read the article.

Getting 'school' into the very first sentence is the kind of thing the journalist should have done for a bet :)

Glad the outcome seems positive so far.

Just This Once...
8th Oct 2014, 16:50
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com/siteimages/86-0182%20Lakenheath%2010-5-12.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/78095000/jpg/_78095892_tpcrash2.jpg

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Oct 2014, 16:59
OK, we know the jet. F15D

Lakenheath have said 'The Pilot is Safe and Well'

The crash pics show the left nozzle closed (Dry Range on F100 series) and the right Open, which might suggest engine problems?

Still, it's all speculation. Everyone is alive, and will be home for a late tea.

Narrow Runway
8th Oct 2014, 17:06
Remaining 4 flew over Histon, Cambs, at about 3:40 pm today. Flew in a "Missing Man" V formation, headed West to East towards Lakenheath.

911Truth
8th Oct 2014, 17:08
Really hope the pilot landed safely which if using a Martin Baker seat, almost 100% guaranteed.
On a positive note, that's one less killing machine to be used against innocent civilians that the US is in the practice of mistaking as 'Terrorists' or even 'Blue on Blue' mistaken Identity kills', one less out of the Rothschild's arsenal,

Dash8driver1312
8th Oct 2014, 17:10
911, maybe it was even the exact same aircraft that fired the hologram missile that made everyone think it was an airliner on that fateful day???

Dear lord, forgive him for he knows not what he does...

Golf-Mike-Mike
8th Oct 2014, 17:11
From Sky News:-
A spokesman for USAF's 48 Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk confirmed one of its F-15s was involved in the incident during a training exercise.
He added: "The pilot ejected and is safe."

EGNH Flyer
8th Oct 2014, 17:16
The F15 doesn't use a Martin Baker seat. F-15, F16, A-10 etc use the ACES II produced by United Technologies Aerospace Systems (UTAS).

Lima Juliet
8th Oct 2014, 17:37

Sorry to feed your trolling but plenty more in the boneyard to replace this one...:ok:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/H-44/Modern%20Aircraft%20US/PHOTOSHOPTheBoneyard2F4F14F15.jpg

Unlucky, sonny!

LJ

advocatusDIABOLI
8th Oct 2014, 17:43
All,

The ACES II seat is excellent, and has a fantastic survival record. Just watch the Thunderbirds mishap at Mountain Home on youtube to see it's capabilities in action!

Interestingly, MB incorporated some of the ACES II system features into the Mk 16 seat for Typhoon and F35.

Advo

West Coast
8th Oct 2014, 18:03
I'm sure somewhere there's some Iranian AF mx official drooling over the F-14's forward of the Eagles.

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2014, 18:07
He also describes two chutes
One for the seat after separation?

Valiantone
8th Oct 2014, 18:19
Presumably the second seat they saw would have been the drogue chute on the bang seat?

V1

just another jocky
8th Oct 2014, 18:29
On a positive note, that's one less killing machine to be used against innocent civilians....

On a more positive note, it was an air-to-air fighter, so wasn't used for killing innocent civilians, but don't let that get in the way of your "Truth".

On an even more positive note; are you for real?

Madbob
8th Oct 2014, 18:30
LeonJ

Every time I see a post of ac in the boneyard it make me wonder why we don't preserve our own "retired" aircraft. As it is all our Jags, Harriers and more recently F3 and GR4 Tornados taken out of service either get reduced for spares or sold for scrap. No hope for maintaining a reserve fleet or an attrition reserve.
We never seem to learn from history....how many WWII ac saw service in Korea, and ditto Korean War ac featuring in action in Viet Nam.

MB

barnstormer1968
8th Oct 2014, 18:39
911truth

Don't wory about other posters mocking you.
I think it brilliant that we live in a free country where you and I are free to say what we want without state reprisal.

It's a shame you might not be recognising that the armed forces who protect us are partly responsible for our freedom and continued use of the a English language, but luckily they continue to protect you and me even if you don't appreciate it.

Valiantone
8th Oct 2014, 18:51
Madbob

Sadly we don't have any desert like conditions to store aircraft out in the open here. And not enough airfields to store them either (well not anymore). Mind you I do have a rather crumpled large print of High Ercall after WW2 with quite a few airframes on it....

All the F.3s that went into RTP were stripped for spares (which is generally a good thing cost wise) GR.4s are following slowly.

Although hopefully a lot slower given the trouble that DAVE is having. And the fact that it, (Tornado) is busy in several places now.

V1

PeregrineW
8th Oct 2014, 19:04
On a positive note, that's one less killing machine to be used...

Tsk tsk, surely you mean "one fewer killing machine"...

Still, what do you expect from a Porsche driver?:=

staplefordheli
8th Oct 2014, 19:15
Barnstormer
911truth

Don't wory about other posters mocking you.
I think it brilliant that we live in a free country where you and I are free to say what we want without state reprisal.

It's a shame you might not be recognising that the armed forces who protect us are partly responsible for our freedom and continued use of the a English language, but luckily they continue to protect you and me even if you don't appreciate it.

Excellent put down if I may say :ok:

Glad it appears to be just a bit of machinery damage and nothing worse
it did say they would be over this side of the country for a bit this week in the local papers
F-15 Eagles carry out combat training over Stamford - Rutland Times (http://www.rutland-times.co.uk/news/local/f-15-eagles-carry-out-combat-training-over-stamford-1-6342706)

Two Americanjets are carrying out combat training in the skies above Stamford and Peterborough today (7 October).

The F-15 Eagles from the 493s Fighter Squadron USAF are based at RAF Lakenheath.
They would normally practise their basic fighting manoeuvres over the sea, but due to the poor weather they are instead flying inland.
An RAF spokesman said the planes would be in the area for two to three days and would not be flying below 4,000ft.
The spokesman said the planes may seem lower, but that was due to their size. They have a wingspan of 42ft and are 63ft 9in long.

The F-15s will not be landing at RAF Wittering.

MSOCS
8th Oct 2014, 19:30
..and those 9 inches of length certainly make all the difference!

cornish-stormrider
8th Oct 2014, 19:31
Point one, the grobag wearing interface unit between seat and stick got out....
Point two, hope said grobag is ok, not too banged up.....

Point three, salutory lesson EJECT IN TIME...

As to some of the replies.... MR Truth, before coming on a public forum get your facts right to avoid looking like an arse.....

To the others please stop baiting the pond life...

P6 Driver
8th Oct 2014, 19:32
Hoping the crew of the F-15 are OK, but I bet "911truth" is at his window watching for a blacked out van with funny aerials on the roof as I write, while wearing a hat made of tin foil for some strange anti-alien abduction reason.
Wibble.

A2QFI
8th Oct 2014, 19:36
There were doing ACT in the (Closed) Cottesmore overhead this morning.

sandiego89
8th Oct 2014, 19:38
Or from the outward canted tail fins, it could be a super secret Silent Eagle....:}

glad rag
8th Oct 2014, 20:12
with one of the wings landing in a separate field.

:hmm: gotta wonder about that bit....more airframe fatigue issues coming to light??

Willard Whyte
8th Oct 2014, 20:17
Or from the outward canted tail fins, it could be a super secret Silent Eagle....

Not that secret!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8219/boeingsilenteagleedited.jpg

connoisseur
8th Oct 2014, 20:26
Both crew out safely, last seen supping tea in nearby house

Rhino power
8th Oct 2014, 20:42
Both crew out safely, last seen supping tea in nearby house

Interesting, especially considering there was only a pilot onboard...

-Dazza

ZeBedie
8th Oct 2014, 20:42
Mind you I do have a rather crumpled large print of High Ercall after WW2 with quite a few airframes on it....

I'd love to see that. Any chance of scanning and posting on the history forum?

Rossian
8th Oct 2014, 20:43
......you're lagging a bit aren't you? Why has no-one posted a TAF or METAR for the area and time of the incident? You'd be drummed out of R&N for a failure like that.

The Ancient Mariner

(creeps away to remove tongue from cheek)

Typhoon93
8th Oct 2014, 20:46
On a positive note, that's one less killing machine to be used against innocent civilians that the US is in the practice of mistaking as 'Terrorists' or even 'Blue on Blue' mistaken Identity kills', one less out of the Rothschild's arsenal,

You clearly don't like the Armed Forces, so why are you even looking on a forum that is military related?

wg13_dummy
8th Oct 2014, 20:50
You clearly don't like the Armed Forces, so why are you even looking on a forum that is military related?

Looking for cock?

diginagain
8th Oct 2014, 20:52
You clearly don't like the Armed Forces, so why are you even looking on a forum that is military related? That's the thing about 'democracy'...

Typhoon93
8th Oct 2014, 21:00
That's the thing about 'democracy'...

True, but I can't see why anybody would waste their time on a part of a website that is about something that they so strongly disagree with. Unless of course, they had no interest in the subject at all and just want to get a rise out of people, which this individual seems to have done quite successfully tonight!

Valiantone
8th Oct 2014, 21:12
ZeBedie

Unfortunately It would have to be scanned in sections if I did it..

I will have a look tomorrow

V1

Coltishall. loved it
8th Oct 2014, 21:14
It’s the weirdo teenager who hasn’t been out of his room for ages, just ignore

Tashengurt
8th Oct 2014, 23:52
I thought 51 posts was a lot even for a squished Eagle. Then I saw the reason. Some small village somewhere missing its idiot.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Tashengurt
9th Oct 2014, 14:39
Hmm. BBC reports that the a/c flew on for "a good mile" following the ejection.
They make it sound as though it was trundling along by itself for hours rather than just descending less than vertically.

911Truth
9th Oct 2014, 14:49
You'll meet your Boss one day, He might say "Well done, good and faithful servant"

Willard Whyte
9th Oct 2014, 15:05
Some small village somewhere missing its idiot.

Not missing, Newark.

Genstabler
9th Oct 2014, 15:12
Just learned that pupils at Weston Hills Primary School have made a get-well card for the 48 Fighter Wing pilot, a lovely gesture.

54Phan
9th Oct 2014, 15:16
West Coast, most, if not all of those F-14s are scrap now. The shredders and smelters worked overtime. For those to whom such things matter, the aircraft involved was the last F-15D delivered to the U.S.A.F.

exhorder
9th Oct 2014, 15:44
I'm glad the pilot got out safely!

@MadBob: After the Cold War ended, the German AF and Navy put one Tornado each into storage at AMARC. It was part of a trial to determine whether storing all the aircraft that were phased out at the time was a viable option.

However, although the preserved aircraft remained in very good condition and could easily be restored to flying status, all the various updates and small changes that the rest of the fleet had meanwhile went through rendered those two Tonkas useless, for all intents and purposes. Effectively, their only remaining use was as a source for spares, and this could be achieved without storing entire aircraft.

Interestingly, the French still put most of their withdrawn aircraft in storage at Châteaudun Air Base. Sorry for being off topic.

Tashengurt
9th Oct 2014, 15:53
You'll meet your Boss one day, He might say "Well done, good and faithful servant"

Actually, I'm ok with that. It's called the social contract and it beats fighting for every meal.

Wander00
9th Oct 2014, 15:58
"Thanks" to school kids, brilliant gesture

Al R
9th Oct 2014, 18:01
However, although the preserved aircraft remained in very good condition and could easily be restored to flying status, all the various updates and small changes that the rest of the fleet had meanwhile went through rendered those two Tonkas useless, for all intents and purposes.

Genuine question - why would they be useless? Is it because we cannot (institutionally) see beyond any form of technical obsolescence? I'm certain that a sqn of Tornado GR4 al 1.3 could work quite effectively independently from a sqn of Tornado GR4 al 1.9. And if immediately not realisable, surely a cost benefit analysis to make it happen could be justified? A number of jets a year or two behind the tech drag curve at Akrotiri might make the difference right now between achieving (potentially priceless) political objectives.. and not.

exhorder
9th Oct 2014, 20:26
@Al R: You're certainly right if we're talking about a "doomsday" scenario. However, having a rather limited military threat in conventional terms, the maintenance costs of having several small sub-fleets are simply prohibitive.

Above The Clouds
9th Oct 2014, 20:38
911Truth

Do your parents know that you fiddling with the key board again ?

paully
9th Oct 2014, 21:51
911 is yet another of those museli munching liberal types that never could find the courage required to defend the land of their birth, that they now so strongly despise. Probably spent all their lives in Social work or lecturing :*

MightyGem
9th Oct 2014, 21:55
911, a bit cheesy, but it gets to the point:
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Col Jessop, "A Few Good Men"

Navy_Adversary
9th Oct 2014, 22:05
Weston Hills school pupils received bravery awards after yesterdays USAF F-15 crash in the area.
BBC News - Weston Hills pupils get bravery awards after F-15 crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29558955)

MightyGem
9th Oct 2014, 22:05
Just come across this on Facebook:
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10372780_10152406373777043_9129051289926910574_n.jpg?oh=1939 9319ecc09289aff8e1fed771e670&oe=54BEAF4B

paully
9th Oct 2014, 22:24
Real wit...LOL...many times over :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Typhoon93
10th Oct 2014, 00:22
BBC News - US Air Force F-15 jet crash prompts safety fears (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29547844)

Dysonsphere
10th Oct 2014, 00:32
Re Mighty Gem "they forgot about the poor rabbits burned to death by the infidels"

orca
10th Oct 2014, 19:03
Genuinely enthralled by the jet that has raised fears over dogfighting (their words) over built up areas - by coming down in a field. I must be missing something.

Very much enjoyed the eyewitness who testified that in her mind "this was not a controlled crash"...blistering insight.

Valiantone
10th Oct 2014, 23:11
Well I suppose some of the population are likely to have a few complaints, after this, it probably did scare the **ap out of them, although its not an every day occurrence these days.

There was a couple on Look North demanding something be done about it

From memory the only accident in that part of Lincolnshire has been the pair of Tornado F.3s near the Digby area in January 96 and the Harrier GR.7 near Heckington in 1993.

Pleased the pilot made a safe landing, even if he had to do via a parachute.

V1

Courtney Mil
11th Oct 2014, 08:02
She saw the F-15D come down and said it was "pure luck rather than judgement" that it did not hit houses and the school.

Hero pilot battles with stricken aircraft to save school.

"From what I saw that was not a controlled crash," she said.

No ****, Sherlock. Must have been one of those uncontrolled ones, then.

"That plane was completely out of control and wasn't manned for the last mile it was flying.

Ah, that would explain it. She needs to apply for a job with the AAIB.

"When it lands so close to a school and so close to houses, that, for me, is a major concern.

Oh, hang on. I thought she said it crashed. Still, an operation of this size, bound to be a few losses. I should have been an RAF spokesman.

orca
11th Oct 2014, 08:10
I had always been led to believe that time and probability were related, and things that happen in the past are actually certainties. It's therefore impossible to accurately surmise what might have happened when something else actually did.

Tay Cough
11th Oct 2014, 17:44
From memory the only accident in that part of Lincolnshire has been the pair of Tornado F.3s near the Digby area in January 96 and the Harrier GR.7 near Heckington in 1993.

Plus a couple of Reds accidents in 87 and 88 (Welton and Scampton in fairness so a little further north). One fatal sadly.

El Grifo
11th Oct 2014, 18:47
Courtney Mil, temepered by the subsequent statement,

""I was looking at the site this morning and thinking if the pilot had tried landing the plane where he did he couldn't have picked a better spot because it missed everything.

"But he didn't put it there, it was just chance."

El G.

Valiantone
12th Oct 2014, 15:13
Cheers

Tay Cough, I was indeed generally referring to the Spalding/Sleaford area

Thinking about it a bit more, there was another Harrier around there in 1999, at Surfleet IIRC

I do remember the accident to I.. ... I 1988 and the footage on TV with the Lightning flypast over Binbrook village church.

That was about the time that the Grimsby RAF careers office failed me for the second time:(

V1

Al R
12th Oct 2014, 16:32
I hadn't yet been in a month or so when we were all paraded in anticipation of being deployed as crash guards following a mid air collision between a couple of Harriers near Peterborough. Sobering to think that the T4 student, let alone his instructor, would now be safely retired to a desk or civvy street.

Rhino power
12th Oct 2014, 23:14
NutLoose, pm sent, but your inbox is full so you need to do a bit of housekeeping! :ok:

-RP