PDA

View Full Version : What's YTYA going to do with $1m?

Flying Ted
8th Oct 2014, 07:48
Leaving aside the politics, this new grant seems like good news to everyone using YTYA. Does anyone know what the money will be used for? These details seem to be missing from media coverage.

Government grant to aero club raises questions (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/government-grant-to-aero-club-raises-questions-20141008-10rtao.html)

Squawk7700
8th Oct 2014, 10:10
I heard they were lengthening the runway but that comment was from the peanut gallery so I cannot confirm.

drpixie
8th Oct 2014, 11:21
You wouldn't get much ILS for $1M - wouldn't one calibration would come close to that.

Squawk7700
8th Oct 2014, 11:52
I would have thought the runway would need to be twice the width (or more) plus the hangars further away in order for it to be remotely considered for the fitting of such equipment.

Perspective
8th Oct 2014, 13:32
One thing it will be most likely used for is the ability to better facilitate
The transiting of emergency services.
Tyabb historically was an ideal location, and used often for rapid response of the Ambualnce helicopter for the mornington peninsula and further south east.
It would be of benefit to be able to refuel with Jet A1 for instance, for fire bombers, police, air ambulance etc. I don't know if that will be possible to be added as an upgrade, or whether it is to be directed to transiting and hard standing.
With the airfield providing the ability to cater for many of the emergency services, along with the support of local Charities due to the many volunteers that facilitate their Airshow,

I can think of know other reason for this even being a subject of media attention (sorry ted..couldn't help it!) other than someone's political tactics coming up to an election.

Aussie Bob
8th Oct 2014, 20:29
A million on an airport, let's see ...

First we get some engineers and architects and get a design brief together. Next comes an environmental impact study. Some time later there is planning permission followed by community consultation. A few problems arise and the engineers and architects are called back. The plans change slightly so there is another EIS and another bit more planning consultation.

Some locals object and an appeals tribunal is set up. Lawyers get involved. The appeal is overturned but meanwhile the planning process has hit a stumbling block, the good folk undertaking the EIS have found a rare purple spotted frog in an old drain.

Anyone got another million?

Squawk7700
8th Oct 2014, 20:31
If you are talking hard stands, a million dollars doesn't buy much concrete these days which is a shame.