PDA

View Full Version : Career change

beethamwest
7th Oct 2014, 17:25
Right,

A bit of a moan you could say or possibly just a plea for help.

My interest in aviation stems back to when i was a child, like every child i guess we all wanted to be pilot's. My interest never waned and a day does not go by even to this day (im 24) where i do not partake in a flight on a flight simulator. The graphics on FS98 where terrifc ha!

The problem was around 2006 when the time came to make the career choices, just out of school with college approaching. It was either take the plunge and put my family in to all sorts of financial debt pursuing the pilot dream or keep the construction industry in the family and go for architecture. I did have an interest in architecture some what and have 2 degrees in the subject, both under graduate and a masters. But to actually practice it. Different story.

We have seminars regarding different elements within the industry and i literally switch off. My interest seems to diminish daily, and all i can think of is getting home and switching the simulator on.

My degree i suspect is useless in aviation, but what could i possibly do?

I know commercial flight is out of the window now and that is fine, i do not believe my GSCE grades would be enough to begin with anyway despite all being C and above.

I have thought about just going for my PPL and see where that takes me.

But the purpose of this thread and question would be, to anybody who has plenty of knowledge, where should i begin?

Staying within the UK is not essential, if anything i would relish the chance to go abroad.

Any help no matter how little would be appreciated. The smaller number of days i have to work within construction, the better.

Thank you.

CaptainCriticalAngle
7th Oct 2014, 21:41
Many, many pilots come into aviation after a career change (for various reasons) and many are much older than you.

Here is a short list for you to tick off:

1. Class 1 medical
2. Money (cash or borrowed against a property). At least £100k in the UK.

Forget the rest of the list until you can tick those two. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, just realistic.

pfvspnf
8th Oct 2014, 00:50
Perhaps a PPL to begin with, and possibly a career in airline operations, engineering or design to some extent ? Whilst working for an operator, build the contacts to finish your flight training and eventually get you on the right seat ?

Your two degrees are very impressive, use it to your advantage !

JB007
8th Oct 2014, 17:41
Get down to your local flying club and start your PPL! See if you enjoy it, if you do, make the most of it! This is what it's all about and the most fun you'll have. It's social and it'll make you contacts!

If you enjoy it, get yourself an appointment at the CAA LGW for an initial class 1.

Then come back here for some advice on the next stage! If you wish to pursue a career then this stage requires careful planning!

Good luck, don't look too far up the mountain you're climbing (it'll put you off!) and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...

BAe 146-100
9th Oct 2014, 00:04
Not to put a downer on things.....

The outlook to be frank at the minute is dismal in Europe for modular students and even integrated. The best chance is on a tagged scheme, yet they are extremely competitive, only come round a few times a year and on average 20 places are up for grabs with thousands of applicants and still a big financial commitment involved if you make it through. You can play the waiting game with Ryanair, but that also costs money and you still have to pass the assessment.

There are too many variables at the minute within the industry to make a good case for anyone starting flight training as a career self funded, unless money is no option and you are prepared to do the job no matter what, i.e work in any country, buy type ratings etc. then go for it. But if you strictly see your sights in Europe I can see it getting worse before it gets better.

Piltdown Man
9th Oct 2014, 10:01
Spend your time being the very best at trying to be the very best architect you can. For pleasure, fly but choose something different. Spam cans are fine for doing a job, but you can have more fun flying other things. But don't, whatever you do, go flying. Not until the muppets have been cleansed from the pond. When the unfortunates stop making posts like "I've got a frozen ATPL, 500 hours, A320 rating, £140,000 in debt and no job...." then start thinking about flying for a living. Try gliding, aerobatics, vintage, DIY, autogyro - just something different.

As for education, the more you have the easier it is. But there are plenty with less than you have flying for a living. I'm one for a start.

JB007
9th Oct 2014, 10:12
:D Excellent Piltdown Man - good post, and Thread Starter should carefully note...