PDA

View Full Version : Leather flying jackets

logie101
7th Oct 2014, 13:41
With winter upon on us I was considering buying a leather flying jacket.
However would I look like a bit of a knob walking around my local club wearing a military type flying jacket???

Any thoughts or views?

mixture
7th Oct 2014, 13:48
Any thoughts or views?

Don't you have a jacket/coat from last winter ? :E

Epaulettes, large watches, raybans and leather jackets .... well... you said the words....

Take the £100. Put it into a savings account. Next time you have the same silly idea, do the same thing. Rinse and repeat. :cool:

Next thing you know, you'll be dressing up like the below, only to go sit for a couple of hours in a spam can pottering around at Mach 0.01 .....

http://www.flightgear.dk/pic/eurofight_pilots.jpg

pbrookes
7th Oct 2014, 13:50
Depends whether you want to be fashion conscious or warm!

I wear one, not because I want to be seen as an aviation hero, but because I don't have a cockpit heater and those leather jackets with a sheep on the inside are toasty! :ok:

ChickenHouse
7th Oct 2014, 14:23
It all depends. If you go in a plane with a heater, it'll give you a weirdo touch. If you go in an open biplane, it is the only way to survive without freezing ;-). I give a **** what other think and use my Vintage Collection Lufthansa Aviation leather jacket quite often in winter.

ETOPS
7th Oct 2014, 14:56
I've used Flightstore for various aviation articles..

These look OK

Leather and Sheepskin Flight Jackets at Flightstore (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/aviation-clothing-c287/flight-jackets-c198)

Heston
7th Oct 2014, 15:29
I think I'd go so far as to say that you wouldn't look like a bit of a knob...

...you'd be one!

Don't do it, please.

9 lives
7th Oct 2014, 17:14
However would I look like a bit of a knob walking around my local club wearing a military type flying jacket???

Yup.

Unless, you're flying an aircraft type which requires that you wear the leather flying jacket. If this is the case, go and stand beside it, and you'll look great - otherwise, no leather flying jacket or epaulets, until your employer asks you to wear them, and keep the watch to something modest.

Interestingly, WestJet Airlines, here in Canada do issue their pilots very nice leather flying jackets. I think it's an "out west" thing....

rateone
7th Oct 2014, 17:28
I have an old Cooper A2 jacket. The present Mrs R1 bought it as a present over 20 years ago. Don't care if I look a knob, it gets me in the mood to fly, I've had it a long time and it's comfy.

Baikonour
7th Oct 2014, 18:13
What a bunch of conformists here.
Real knobs are those who care more about what others think of them than what they really like/want. Real knobs comply with groupthink.

Those who wear what they like and don't give a s**t about what everyone else thinks may display poor taste, but at least they're not knobs.

B. (known to have poor taste)

9 lives
7th Oct 2014, 18:40
Those who wear what they like and don't give a s**t about what everyone else thinks may display poor taste

Absolutely. But then they would not be seeking opinions on the forum either ;)

Heston
7th Oct 2014, 19:08
Those who wear what they like and don't give a s**t about what everyone else thinks may display poor taste, but at least they're not knobs.

Ah fine, but that sort of meta-level thinking is totally lost on anybody but the wearer. I mean how does anybody else know the difference between "I'm wearing this to conform to some image of a pilot I want to fantasize about", on the on hand, and "I'm wearing this cos I like it, and screw you"?

Really, don't do it - you will be misunderstood and it won't turn out well...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Oct 2014, 19:16
Well, I think they look pretty darned sexy....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/DianaBarnatoWalker.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/GZK6NK/media/DianaBarnatoWalker.jpg.html)

Small Rodent Driver
7th Oct 2014, 19:20
I thought Susannah Yorke looked mighty fine in one (and little else) in the Battle of Britain :-)

Hubba Hubba!

Baikonour
7th Oct 2014, 20:19

Ah fine, but that sort of meta-level thinking is totally lost on anybody but the wearer. I mean how does anybody else know the difference between "I'm wearing this to conform to some image of a pilot I want to fantasize about", on the on hand, and "I'm wearing this cos I like it, and screw you"?

:{
Surely if you don't care what other people think, then... err.. you don't care what other people think.
Yes it's lost on everybody else, but that's the whole point. :ugh:

Really, don't do it - you will be misunderstood and it won't turn out well...
:confused:
What is the worst that could happen? That some people think the OP has made a poor choice of clothing? People who judge you solely on your choice of clothing really are exactly the people you really do not care about.:E

Now, if the argument went like: "in a closed cockpit in a modern plane, they will probably be too warm, and the thick lambswool lining make them cumbersome and may impede your movement" then at least that's an argument.

Step Turn's response is the most sensible - if they ask for advice on an internet forum they probably do care what other people think. But that will not stop me from showing him (or her) the error of his (or her) ways. Stand up for what you believe in and sod everyone else.

Nothing is more impressive (sexy, if you want) than someone who carries off what may be questionable clothing by the power/charisma of their personality ;) You make your clothes - they do not make you:ok:

B. (happy and comfortable with my own weirdness)

Heston
7th Oct 2014, 20:28
Sorry, no. Girl ATA pilots getting into a Spitfire in WWII can wear a genuine leather flying jacket and look sexy. 21st century posers getting into a spamcan in a leather jacket are complete to55ers. If you don't mind being a complete to55er (not just looking like one, note) that's fine by me.

Frightened nose gear
7th Oct 2014, 20:30
They are popular as presents at xmas so secondhand ones fetch silly money from November.I was tempted to get one last year, my girlfriend and i often go to a "gay" pub in Brighton which does one of the best value quality sunday roasts to be had anywhere within ten miles of Brighton.
On the table next to us were three guys all wearing flying jackets one even had a handlebar moustache but they were all so overweight they would have had trouble climbing on a bus let alone getting into an aircraft.It sort of put me off buying one.
Kindly note im not homophobic nor unsympathetic to obesity problems it was simply my observation but wearing a handlebar moustache........

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Oct 2014, 21:11
I bought one this summer in a Lakeland sale - half price. Never worn it in an aeroplane (it'd have got all oily pre-flighting the Chippy anyway, where old jeans and a holy jersey or oily sweat shirt were de rigueur!) but it's great for riding my motorbikes now the heat of summer has gone! :ok:

ETOPS
7th Oct 2014, 21:24
and a holy jersey

Amen to that ...

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2014, 21:40
I'm more comfort and self image, and sod what anybody else thinks. Plus I fly open cockpit anyhow.

Various copies of WW2 jackets are available, they're a joy to own and wear, apart from the minor point that they really don't have enough pockets. They do need oiling once or twice a year (and usually within a month of buying them) with a suitable leather cream, or the leather loses all the properties you want of it. If you want one, buy one - just don't expect them to add anything to your credibility in a PA28 !

RAF Mk.3 cold weather jackets are very very green, scruffy as heck, but incredibly comfortable and practical. You can buy them on eBay from anything above £40. For actual practicality, they are the best thing you'll ever find.

G

9 lives
8th Oct 2014, 01:53
The military, and rather extreme civil ops have a knack for creating really effective work wear. Yes, I have been laughed at, when disembarking a C 180 floatplane I was flying, wearing a full orange floater suit - but it was November, and the water temperature was 3C. These days, I wear a full immersion suit up to the waist, for winter water flying - I've got the suit, so why not? But I don't drive to the airport in it.

I don't own a leather flying jacket (I'm not known for style - Genghis can attest). Even when I flew the Tiger Moth in December, just my old sweatshirt - the one with oil on it already - over street clothes (I cheated, it had a canopy). But, were I to have owned a leather flying jacket, and be taking the Moth to make an "entrance", I woulda worn the jacket!

When I test flew the DA-42 for Diamond, they handed me a really cool set of pilot coveralls, with the instruction to wear. So I complied. Normally, I just wear cotton bluejeans, and cotton or wool shirts - I am fire conscious when I fly. I always wear a lifejacket (unless immersion suit) while flying off the water, and yes, you'll see me walking around in it, if I'm near water flying.

If you're gonna wear the leather jacket, you'll really have to do it up right, and wear the leather helmet too (you can just carry it around indoors - but you can't put it down, other than on the dispatch counter). But try to at least walk past a parked Tiger Moth (or similar type) so it looks like you really need the jacket. ;). If you need the jacket in the type you fly, wear the jacket. If you wear the jacket in the 172 'cause the heater does not work - forget the jacket, and get the heater fixed!

If you dress to impress, you're gonna have to rise to the standard of your image. I love to walk up to the group of kids in the mall wearing jackets with wings, and ask if they are pilots. They seem to usually look at each other, before they find words to reply. I'm also a firefighter - 20 years. I get pretty miffed when I see people wearing fire department T shirts - when they have not earned the privilege of being identified as a firefighter.

Myself, I just would rather blend into the casual crowd, and not have to live up to the image that my apparel might convey...

Lantern10
8th Oct 2014, 02:10
Used to wear one back in Leeds in the early 80's, didn't give a hoot what anyone else thought. It was just so warm.

Like a fool I sold it before coming to Australia, thinking I wouldn't need it here.:ugh:

piperboy84
8th Oct 2014, 05:46
The clubhouse guys may just think " that guy that's a bit of a knob has gotten himself a pretty smart leather jacket"

Genghis the Engineer
8th Oct 2014, 07:26
I love to walk up to the group of kids in the mall wearing jackets with wings, and ask if they are pilots.

I didn't realise that you were a black belt as well Step ?

Seriously, I agree. I've no issue with people wearing insignia they're entitled to. Wear university gear from a university YOU studied at, wings YOU earned....

On the other hand, a well made flying jacket looks good, is comfortable, and warm for the majority of us who live in countries that have proper winters (okay, your Canadian ones more impressive than our British ones, but they still count). The other bonus is that they're cut so that you can drve in them, which you can't easily in most longer jackets.

So, basically, if you like it, buy one and wear it. If you want to try and live up to the image you present, that's your call - but no harm in it.

G

BEagle
8th Oct 2014, 08:16
My 20-year old Pop's Leather G-1 (minus pussy pelt collar) with no epaulettes, pen pockets, wings, 'I love F-14s' patches or similar is getting pretty battered, but is great for roof-down driving, flying etc.

Rather comfier than the Aviation Leathercraft 'official' RAF jacket, which is cut rather too long for most people.

Unless you're flying an open cockpit aircraft, a replica Irvin jacket is rather de trop, to my mind.

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2014, 08:41
Seems like some here don't know the difference between a leather jacket and a sheepskin jacket.

As far as wearing an RAF pattern cold weather jacket goes......Having been obliged to wear one for almost twenty years, because it was uniform, imho it's not a very good jacket, especially by today's standards (possibly so called because it makes cool weather feel like cold weather and they are not waterproof).

Whatever you choose, just don't buy a cheap nylon jacket. In any sort of fire they melt into your skin, making the injury far more severe.

Sir Niall Dementia
8th Oct 2014, 08:48
Definitely an Irvine in my open cockpit beastie, and yes the helmet is leather, because it is warmer and keeps the rain out better than the cloth ones.

In the Condor, whatever is comfortable, but mostly made of cotton or wool to protect against fire if I should c*** up seriously enough!

SND

Unusual Attitude
8th Oct 2014, 08:55
Yet again we have another dressing like a pilot / wearing a flashy watch bashing thread :ugh:

The way I look at it is this, for most people flying at a weekend its a hobby, look at the way golfers, cyclists, bikers, fishermen, horsey folk etc etc all dress to do their hobbies....they are all instantly identifiable by what they are wearing and they spend a fortune on all the latest trendy / functional gear. They are showing pride and enthusiasm in their hobby.

Then look at your typical weekend pilot, a scruffy pair of jeans and a baggy jumper, yet if they decide to wear something remotely functional (flame retardant for example) they are branded as a 'poser'.

Gaining a PPL is a darn sight harder than buying a set of golf clubs so if someone wants to take pride in their achienvement by buying a big watch or a leather jacket then that's fine by me, indeed I think the whole GA mindset is utterly self destructive in this regard in that we have to play down everything we do despite then having to be bored to death listening to someone droning on about his round of golf, this fish they caught blah blah.
Is it any wonder that so few youngsters are showing any interest in GA nowadays when we ourselves downplay it constantly.

I don't personally care what someone wears to do their hobby flying, as long as they actually keep flying given that more and more GA airfields are closing every day and flying schools going out of business.

Personally in the winter I fly with an aircrew cold weather jacket, I do this for a few reasons:

1. It was designed for that very purpose and a lot of thought has gone into it, being breathable yet with an element of flame retardancey is rare to find in anything else.
2. Its warm and comfortable and very close fitting when flying a cramped single seater with no heater.
3. I got it free from Auntie Betty during my time instructing on her plastic motor gliders so why wouldn't I use it?

I am however at the point where I'm comforbale enough with myself not to give a hoot what others think around the club!!!

effortless
8th Oct 2014, 09:08
Suit and tie were good enough for Jon Derry et al.

BEagle
8th Oct 2014, 10:01
Personally I feel that the wretched truncated rain coat known as the RAF Cold Weather Jacket is an abysmal piece of kit. Particularly the later version which has a longer back length.

I still have my old grey version from 1973 though (which has mysteriously shrunk in the spare room wardrobe....:\).

Unusual Attitude
8th Oct 2014, 10:12
Personal taste I guess BEagle,

I find it warm enough in the winter without being too restrictive and just the right size to still squeeze into the single seat with it on.

Its bloody useless in the rain though, doesn't keep the water out, takes forever to dry and then smells like a wet dog for weeks after....

If its raining in the cockpit though I have bigger issues to worry about... :\

Regards

UA

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Oct 2014, 11:46
Suit and tie were good enough for Jon Derry et al.

Jon Derry?

9 lives
8th Oct 2014, 11:56
If any particular type of apparel is chosen because it is best suited for the use/operation, then that is what to wear. I do try to wear shorter jackets while flying. I once had to fly my 150 in full fire department turnout gear - not good at all! (though if I'd crashed, I would not have burned!)

Unusual Attitude mentions pride and enthusiasm. Certainly excellent attributes for our chosen pastime. If you're a member of a flying club or school, and they have a nice shirt with the logo, by all means... If you need a "flying" jacket, because you fly in the cold, that sounds like a good idea to me. If you stop by the mall on the way home wearing it, and I ask you if you're a pilot, with pride, say Yes!

But, the coolest pilots I know, dozens of them, dress like regular people you'd meet on the street, their pride is inside, not so much in what they wear.

Private jet
8th Oct 2014, 12:27
Ironically, I think if worn by somebody who has zero involvement with aviation then you can get away with it as a bit of "practical iconic fashion"
If worn by anyone with aviation involvement nowadays it's just looks a bit w@nkey quite frankly.

FleetFlyer
8th Oct 2014, 14:28
I personally plan on buying a leather jacket thats a bomber/motorcycle hybrid. I may look like I'm trying rather too hard in the club house but I won't look like a fat bloke in a badly fitting A2 down the pub. I like to think I'm self aware enough to know when I'm cool or looking like a knob, and if I'm way off I have friends who are generous enough with their criticism to let me know if I've got it wrong!

Unusual Attitude
8th Oct 2014, 14:32
Don't worry Fleet, you know us, we'll soon let you know! :}

Trying to arrange an F1 reunion at the end of the year since we didn't get much chance for a proper beer after the race....will keep you posted....

Crash one
8th Oct 2014, 17:33
I've got an MA2 dark green, no badges, it's comfortable, warm & I wear it to fly or walk the dog & sod what people think. As for the demise of GA, agree with UA, it isn't what most of the public think but how do you educate people who couldn't give a **** anyway, as long as the football is on the telly 24/7 that's all that matters for most. If you want to impress the boss, buy the bats & a Pringles Jersey, no brain power required "triangle of velocities" what the hell is that about?
In this UK an aeroplane is a thing that takes you to the Costa Spain to get pissed for a fortnight.

150 Driver
8th Oct 2014, 21:39
I admit to being what some of you call a 'knob' (I wear one of these jackets) and flies what some of you call a 'spam can.'

And know what, you can insult me and my plane as much as you like. When pre-flighting I don't get cold, and when climbing in the jacket easily comes off to save bulk - working on the principle that that is what a heater is for. And I'd rather be flying a 'spam can' than sitting on the ground reading Pilot magazine dreaming of a more exotic machine.

The licence and plane were hard earned and I enjoy using both whilst wearing my jacket, frankly not giving a to$$ what anyone else thinks.

Good luck to anyone else who does the same.

thing
8th Oct 2014, 22:05
I don't bother during the four microseconds that it's warm here in the UK but the rest of the time I wear my deceased best mate's jacket. He bought it not long before he died five years ago so it's hardly if ever been worn before me and his widow, bless her heart gave it to me. It's not a flying jacket, it's just the most supple bomber jacket of (and now worn to the state where even I look good in it) dark brown leather of the highest quality. I know how much it cost and it was just short of a grand, such is the quality and cut of the leather.

I wear it because it is literally like a second skin, it smells absolutely awesome, it is now battered to **** in a Marlon Brando Wild One way and it's my jacket of choice whenever I need to wear a jacket wherever I'm going. I still have my Levi jacket that I bought in 1970 due to the memories it has and no doubt whenever the bomber jacket starts to falll apart it will have pride of place next to the Levi jacket.

Addendum: When I worked in Italy in '92 I bought two pairs of Levi jeans. They don't make them like that anymore and they are still hanging up waiting for me to loose the poundage to get them on. Actually I can get my legs in them. But that's all...

The licence and plane were hard earned and I enjoy using both whilst wearing my jacket, frankly not giving a to$$ what anyone else thinks.

Good luck to anyone else who does the same.

Couldn't agree more sir.

Maoraigh1
8th Oct 2014, 22:15
My leather jackets have all been from Sears US/Canada - not flashy but windproof, warm, long lasting, and much cheaper than UK prices. They make me look like an East European.

thing
8th Oct 2014, 22:18
A East European Maoraigh. See me. 7/10.

piperboy84
8th Oct 2014, 22:31
The way I look at it is this, for most people flying at a weekend its a hobby, look at the way golfers, cyclists, bikers, fishermen, horsey folk etc etc all dress to do their hobbies

Bit thread drift, but on the subject of cyclist who dress up like Lance Armstrong on their fancy racing bikes. When I tour with the aircraft I prefer to stop off for the night at fields with cheap fees which are usually 3 or more miles outside the town and where getting a cab to find you for a ride to the hotel in town is sometimes a nightmare, so I bought a foldable electric bike with wee wheels, which has introduced me to my new favorite pastime.

Specifically, I like to pull up at the stop sign next to those Lance Armstrong wannabees upon starting I let them get a few yards ahead of me then I flip the electric on which is pretty silent especially in traffic and my luggage on the back hides the battery, I then zip past them leisurely pedaling, handlebars in one hand, fag in the other and nonchalantly give a tip of the head to my fellow “cyclist”. The look on their face is priceless thinking “how the f**K can this fat bastard on a shiity little bike with a suitcase on back and smoking a fag dust me on my 5 grand racer” !

thing
8th Oct 2014, 22:43
The look on their face is priceless thinking “how the f**K can this fat bastard on a shiity little bike with a suitcase on back and smoking a fag dust me on my 5 grand racer” !

I thought you wre a French women? Or is that someone else?

Unusual Attitude
8th Oct 2014, 22:52
I can assure you, Piperboy looks nothing like a French Woman! Though I image he does have hairy armpits in common....:}

thing
8th Oct 2014, 23:21
Appleoggs. I was thinking about Piper Classique. I'm sure he's a woman.

piperboy84
8th Oct 2014, 23:35
No, no . No apologies needed THING, if you have conjured up images in your head of me as a French bird that's OK, I,m not the type of lad to look a gift horse in the mouth.:ok:

If it helps this is a pic of me just about to head out for a pint and bridie in Forfar recently.
http://glo.com/beauty/the-sexiest-french-women-4772.gallery

thing
9th Oct 2014, 09:27
Ah, now they are a bit nice.

Piltdown Man
9th Oct 2014, 10:12
My answer to the OP's question will probably back up what he already suspects. Yes, he will look a knob in a military flying jacket. Like wearing a tie, shirt and epaulettes and gold bars, calling yourself "Captain" and having a huge pilot bag. Get yourself some cred and use an Aldi or Lidl carrier bag and get a nice warm outdoor jacket which doesn't have "knob" written on the back in invisible letters.

PM

cavortingcheetah
9th Oct 2014, 10:38
I have an Irvine sheepskin jacket which cost a lot of money twenty five years ago. It looks almost brand new because I take care of my stuff, just like women. I've never flown in the tax payer funded services and have no real experience of tail wheel aircraft. I used, however, to fly HS748s and F27s and have thousands of hours on each type. Is it permissible to wear my sheepskin jacket when going around town or should I have

HS748
CAPTAIN

embroidered on the back so that everyone who followed in my odiferous wake could tell that I was, or had been, a real pilot and was not just some walley out for a troll?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Oct 2014, 10:52
Lakeland are selling leather and sheepskin jackets at half price. Check out their web site.

Cavorting, you just need a black leather jacket with ACE on the back! ;)

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2014, 12:42
I also have a very nice leather (unlined) jacket from Lakeland - cost me £25 in Oxfam, worth every penny! Occasionally I fly an aeroplane in it, but mostly I just wear it on chilly days when I want pocket space.

Just like a sheepskin jacket, keep the leather fed, and it'll last forever. Don't, and it'll last 18 months.

Except the pockets, most of which I need to get re-lined. I think that Lakeland assume none of their customers ever carry keys !

G

FullWings
9th Oct 2014, 13:48
I’ve always wanted to get out of an impressively oily and macho aircraft, divest myself of the flying suit, James Bond style, revealing a tux underneath, then go and prop up the bar... :p

To get back to the OPs question:
With winter upon on us I was considering buying a leather flying jacket.

If the club in question was an officer’s mess, then you would blend right in. Otherwise, as others have pointed out, the type of aircraft makes a big difference: C150, high on the “knob” scale. Biplane, aerobatic, vintage, military, open cockpit, etc. no problem. Wings, stripes, badges and the like looked good on Chuck Yeager (and Tom Cruise) but for your average UK GA pilot learning to fly a Tomahawk, not so much.

Mind you, I do a lot of gliding and some people wear... Aaargh! I don’t even want to talk about it, it’s so horrible!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Oct 2014, 13:51
Just like a sheepskin jacket, keep the leather fed, and it'll last forever. Don't, and it'll last 18 months.

I want mine to last longer than 18 months. What do you feed it with, Genghis?

Rocket2
9th Oct 2014, 14:39
"Any other suggestions?"

Aviation Leathercraft at Thruxton?

Piper.Classique
9th Oct 2014, 14:48
Appleoggs. I was thinking about Piper Classique. I'm sure he's a woman.

She is. And owns a leather jacket, which comes in handy on windswept and cold gliding fields. But I actually wear an Ozee suit in the glider in the winter wave season.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2014, 15:46
I want mine to last longer than 18 months. What do you feed it with, Genghis?

Some stuff from the supermarket called "Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam" which is in the cleaning materials section and sold for use on leather sofas. Costs about a fiver a jar, which will usually do a new jacket, or keep an existing jacket alive for a year or so.

The instructions say to apply then wipe off. For my jackets however, I just work it in with my fingers until the leather's about saturated, then hang the jacket over a radiator for a day. Works a treat.

I have found other things that work well, but this is available just about everywhere (Tesco, Amazon, eBay...), so it's easy to be consistent in what I'm feeding the leather. It does darken the leather a bit, but I can't say that worries me.

G

Shaggy Sheep Driver
9th Oct 2014, 15:56
Thanks Genghis. I'll look out for some.

Small Rodent Driver
9th Oct 2014, 16:29
Noble House in Ulm Germany do some pretty cool leather Jackets which are not that expensive. I have one of their Jadfliegers which is comfortable and warm in the cockpit (yes the cockpit is open) it also doesnt look out of place with a pair of jeans in the pub. It's pretty grubby and scratched now but being less than half the cost of the Eastmann Jadflieger, I don't care and consider it erm patinated.

I also have an Irvin but being of generous proportions can't easily fit in the bleedin' cockpit with it on.

irish seaplane
10th Oct 2014, 16:41
Probably one of the most compelling reasons for buying a leather flying jacket, and it hasn't been mentioned is that women love them. If your looking for a bird strike on the ground they always seem to go down well. There is some sort of top gun / pear harbour thing hard wired into women and it really does get them excited. If there is a stray bird there at a fly in your sure to be in there with the right flying jacket. Bring them up for a quick flip in the aeroplane, bit of negative g and float a packet of cigarettes off the coaming because they love that too. You have the rest of it all wrapped up - a touch and go or a full stop the choice is yours.

Other than that they are no use, mostly too short so you'd catch a chill in your lower back. If its function not form you're after then get some thermal underwear. Does more to keep you from foundering with the cold than either a flight jacket or a flying suit. Thermal underwear, even nato spec, has no known seduction properties unfortunately.

:ok:

shortstripper
11th Oct 2014, 17:37
I have a lovely Aviation Leathercraft B3 which I bought when I first started flying powered aeroplanes (DH82's so appropriate) in 1989. I've probably worn it three times as I feel like Michelin man in it and can hardly move. However, I also have a well worn A2 of unknown make that I bought years ago and now wouldn't be without! Apart from the obvious it's been used as a chock, windscreen protection when refuelling, as a cushion and probably a lot of other things I can't remember right now. It doesn't look showy ... more shabby than chic, but whether I look a knob in it or not, I wear it with pride! :p

If you want a leather jacket ... go for it! A2's are pretty middle of the road so that's what I'd recommend.

SS

BEagle
11th Oct 2014, 18:41
I don't know what causes them to be attracted to leather flying jackets, but a lady friend's cat would always make a bee-line for mine if I left it lying around, then burrow around in it to make a nest. As would the moggies which used to live in the South Warks Flying Club crewroom.

I guess that my leather jacket can therefore be described, with some evidential justification, as a 'pussy magnet'?

Croqueteer
11th Oct 2014, 20:29
I always wear a leather jacket when flying for protection, firstly because the RAF was strong on flying clothing, ie no synthetic material because it melts on skin, and now I have a fistula in my left arm that needs protecting. I have never had any p--s taking and never given it a thought until this thread.

9 lives
12th Oct 2014, 00:50
never given it a thought until this thread.

And to me, that is a good reason to do what you want to do, without worrying about opinions of others. If a person makes an apparel choice based upon their own determinations, that is really the end of any discussion - their choice.

If someone asks if they should/can, to me that's an indicator that they have not entirely established their "style", and toning it down would probably be better.

cavortingcheetah
12th Oct 2014, 10:52
(If a person makes an apparel choice based upon their own determinations, that is really the end of any discussion - their choice.)

One is not quite sure that, for reasons as varied as the tones of flesh twinkling on a sunny day in San Francisco, one agrees with the above statement of libertarian licentiousness.

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2014/03/12/san-francisco/12-san-francisco-7.w529.h352.2x.jpg

Sir Niall Dementia
13th Oct 2014, 13:52
Shortstripper:

Trust me; its' not the jacket that makes you look a k***!!!!!

I'm back in UK for a stay next week, call you for a beer and a sort out ref our Falke..

SND

shortstripper
18th Oct 2014, 09:40
Shortstripper:

Trust me; its' not the jacket that makes you look a k***!!!!!

I'm back in UK for a stay next week, call you for a beer and a sort out ref our Falke..

SND

You're just jealous of my youthful good looks and my impeccable dress sense :p

SS