PDA

View Full Version : XR713 acquired by the LPG at Bruntingthorpe...

Rhino power
7th Oct 2014, 13:37
The LPG have acquired Lightning F.3 XR713, after the Wattisham Station Heritage group were apparently unable to accept it. XR713 was up for tender on the same ticket as Black Mike and XT864...

-RP

newt
7th Oct 2014, 15:27
Best place for it too! If you fancy donating then visit the LPG website for details. Cash needed to transport the aircraft to Bruntingthorpe where it will be maintained to the highest standards:ok:

son of brommers
7th Oct 2014, 15:32
powered by LPG, still could be worse, could be a charcoal webber.;)

Ah, wrong thread..........................

GeeRam
7th Oct 2014, 19:32
They'll need another Q-Shed now :E

Is the Leuchars one up for grabs :ok:

peppermint_jam
7th Oct 2014, 20:18
I think it got flattened a few years back Gee. Binbrook's is still standing though I think......

Great news that 713 is to be saved though.

NutLoose
7th Oct 2014, 20:58
Plus the black phantom is going there and one of the Shacks from Gatwick has just arrived.

GeeRam
7th Oct 2014, 21:01
I think it got flattened a few years back Gee. Binbrook's is still standing though I think......

I know, but that's not ever likely to be an option. Binbrook's Q-Shed has been out of bounds for keeping XR724 in these past 20 odd years let alone it being able to be bought, dismantled and put back up at Brunty. It would be cheaper to just built a new one from scratch at Brunty.

Valiantone
7th Oct 2014, 23:06
Ah yes,

The Binbrook Q shed.

I believe the farmer who owns that side of what was the airfield is particularly happy using it for storing assorted farm machinery.

And has been asked, but wasn't interested.

V1

PeregrineW
8th Oct 2014, 14:01
It was sad to see this old lady falling into disrepair at Gatwick, although I fully understand that the museum only needed one example. Nice to hear that she's found a new home.

As an instructor at Cosford in the mid 1980s, I put many faults on 974 for the trainees to find. I have a some photos of her in 521 Hangar somewhere, must dig them out...

NutLoose
8th Oct 2014, 21:38
Sadly she is minus her engines as they stayed at Gatwick as spares for their runner Peregrine.

Pictures of her move here

https://www.facebook.com/Wr973

thing
8th Oct 2014, 23:05
Peregrine, slight thread drift but have you anything to do with Charlton Park?

PeregrineW
9th Oct 2014, 09:05
Nothing at all, thing - just an occasional visitor to the museum!

simon brown
9th Oct 2014, 12:18
If we are not careful there will be more aircraft at Brunty than the RAF currently have...

NutLoose
9th Oct 2014, 18:01
It's getting that way already, there are 68 Spitfires on the UK Register, true not all will be airworthy at any one time, but there are also the BBMF Spitfires x 6 against about about 120 Typhoons and I haven't mentioned Hurricanes.