PDA

View Full Version : Bent Longranger on Mount Cook, Queensland today 7th Oct 2014

lelebebbel
7th Oct 2014, 07:04
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5796688-3x2-700x467.jpg

Cooktown helicopter crash: Two seriously injured, one airlifted to hospital - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/cook-shire-mayor-one-of-six-aboard-crashed-helicopter/5796536)

Nigel Osborn
7th Oct 2014, 07:48
Very lucky not to fall off the rock!

Nigel Osborn
7th Oct 2014, 08:54
The TV news tonight said they had landed & shut down on the rock. While climbing back on board to restart, a strong gust of wind blew it over causing some injuries. Apparently they were looking for a permanent landing site for their tourists; I guess the rock won't do! Bet they have fun with their insurance company!!

John Eacott
7th Oct 2014, 10:19
Helicopter crashes on mountain in far north Queensland
(http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/helicopter-crashes-on-mountain-in-far-north-queensland/story-fnii5v6w-1227082630232)

This report doesn't read like the ABC report in the OP, and these photos seem to show a JetRanger rather than a LongRanger: no fins on the end of the horizontal stabs?

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/10/07/1227082/702427-5d33aee8-4dd6-11e4-930e-e515789c51be.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/10/07/1227082/703688-597eaac8-4dd6-11e4-930e-e515789c51be.jpg

Two_dogs
7th Oct 2014, 10:39
I think this one's going to get interesting.

WHY would you land here?
Apparently they were looking for a permanent landing site for their tourists; I guess the rock won't do!And then go where? The news report I saw said the flight was to inspect a communication tower. Again, why land here?

While climbing back on board to restart, a strong gust of wind blew it over ...Blew it over? The absence of any visible rotor blades caused me to speculate the machine was running and suffered a landing/takeoff event or dynamic rollover.

It's also worth pointing out the different perspective afforded by the photos in Post 1 and Post 4. They almost look like different sites.

Freewheel
7th Oct 2014, 11:17
The blades (or at least the head and part of one blade) can be seen clearly in Johns post.

Hearsay contained in news reports is a notoriously unreliable method of assessing actual events, but by all means carry on if you wish.

Your observation of the perspective changes between photographs is indeed profound. Perhaps neither set of photos shows the true nature of the site.

I'm sure more will be forthcoming.

Vertical Freedom
7th Oct 2014, 13:00
Mountain??? Shhhhhhish looks like a classic case of...of....of.......& sometimes '**** just happens' :{

Happy Landings :D

7th Oct 2014, 13:24
They almost look like different sites.

Same site
Blew it over? The absence of any visible rotor blades caused me to speculate the machine was running and suffered a landing/takeoff event or dynamic rollover.
One would expect that the helicopter would not be sitting there relative intact if the blades were rotating.

Two_dogs
7th Oct 2014, 14:21
No need to get wound up. This is not a conspiracy theory, just my observations. It's also worth pointing out the different perspective afforded by the photos in Post 1 and Post 4. They almost look like different sites.Looks like the same rock, looks like the same helicopter, but looks like a different site. It's obviously just the perspective, but is quite confusing. Change the rock and you could believe they were two different sites.

I am just interested in the chain of events that resulted in what actually happened here. I am sure it will all be revealed during the coming investigation.

Was the heli further up the rock, blown over and slid down the rock? How much wind would it take to blow a 720 kg helicopter over? WHY would you land a helicopter here? How would you suffer (reported) critical injuries in a simple 1G static roll over event? Do helicopters remain relatively intact after a dynamic rollover event? (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=helicopter+dynamic+rollover+damage&client=firefox-a&hs=PjC&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wPUzVL6nONCwogS7wYLoDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=608)

EDIT: Radio news report today talking with the Cooktown Mayor who was a passenger on the flight. Paraphrased, 'The helicopter was hovering over the rock as we attempted to board. A gust of wind blew the helicopter into the rock. The blades disintegrated on impact as they are designed to do.'

lelebebbel
7th Oct 2014, 18:04
That's a jetranger alright. I admit that I took a guess when I wrote "Long Ranger", based on the reported 6 POB.

Freewheel
8th Oct 2014, 00:43
Vertical Freedom Mountain??? Shhhish looks like a classic case of incompitance

Seems a bit harsh, especially since the tail rotor is positioned so nobody can get anywhere near it!

Oh and Two Dogs, I'm aware of at least two fatal accidents where the aircraft never left the ground, but that's a discussion for the helmet thread.

SuperF
8th Oct 2014, 06:12
I'm surprised that lying down on the rock like that, that it didn't jump off down into the bush below. I bet you couldn't do that if you tried.

Two dogs, I imagine that you could get some quite critical injuries if the blade decided to come down through whatever area you were sitting or standing at the time. It doesn't matter what force the helicopter goes through to crash, once you get the blades touching the ground it's all going to start to hurt if something comes your way.

If as your post stated, they were hovering while the pax attempted to board, then it would be very easy to roll a JR over. Get 3 excited people all trying to clamber in to the machine at the same time, first one gets in, is just on RHS, second person jumps on the skid, now you have pilot and pax on RHS, plus someone swinging on the RHS door, over she goes.

I wasn't there, not even in the same country at the time, but that's how easy it would be "IF" they were hover loading, and the pax were inexperienced.

Two_dogs
8th Oct 2014, 06:50
Two dogs, I imagine that you could get some quite critical injuries if the blade decided to come down through whatever area you were sitting or standing at the time. It doesn't matter what force the helicopter goes through to crash, once you get the blades touching the ground it's all going to start to hurt if something comes your way.It was suggested here
601 One would expect that the helicopter would not be sitting there relative intact if the blades were rotating.and hereFreewheel The blades (or at least the head and part of one blade) can be seen clearly in Johns post.that the blades were not rotating, and the aircraft simply blew over.

I did suggest I thought the machine was running at the time it rolled over.Quote:
Blew it over? The absence of any visible rotor blades caused me to speculate the machine was running and suffered a landing/takeoff event or dynamic rollover.

Freewheel
8th Oct 2014, 07:06
Two dogs, you've misinterpreted my post. I didn't claim that the aircraft wasn't running. Your earlier post mentioned your view that blades were absent. :suspect:

It simply staying that the blades appeared to be present. Their position suggests that they may be attached but it isn't clear, ergo I didn't post that.:ugh:

Feel free to surmise, but please observe relevant details, and don't put words in the keyboards of others. :=

Anyhow, carry on. :E

SuperF
8th Oct 2014, 08:05
Two dog, I was working off the last part of your post from the mayor that said they tried to board in the hover.

All good bud.

helihub
8th Oct 2014, 09:32
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10250180_807372675971363_6512877527149145235_n.jpg?oh=092d8c 481927db7c860245a709b9601d&oe=54C2D381&__gda__=1422438457_e3dc7cd38c30fff038a30330bb18e789

Freewheel
8th Oct 2014, 10:12
It's just sleeping!

311kph
8th Oct 2014, 11:32
still there?

are they going to remove it from there?

with what?

HeliHenri
8th Oct 2014, 11:56

Nice view from the rock !:)

lelebebbel
9th Oct 2014, 18:15
Here's the "before" shot:

http://i.imgur.com/7UYROPt.jpg

WhirlyWopter
9th Oct 2014, 18:21
I'm no expert, not by any stretch, but for the rotor head to have been yanked out of the fuselage like that I can't help but feel that it was running!

Gas Producer
9th Oct 2014, 22:59
...but for the rotor head to have been yanked out of the fuselage like that...

The rotor head is still connected to the main rotor gear box which is still connected to the fuselage.

Looks like massive mast bumping to me

Mast Bumping? Seriously? Have you really thought through that?