PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Wants to be a CFI in US

rigonanfm
6th Oct 2014, 17:21
Good Day,

I recently contacted ATP Flying school through email about my case. They did not answer my questions directly (It might be automated.)

I am currently studying flying in the Philippines. By the time I finish my packaged flying time, I would have accumulated the following:

160 Hours of Flying Time
CPL with IR (Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines)
EP Level 4

I plan on continuing my studies in the US, and hopefully be a Flight Instructor.

I have prepared a list of questions so that you can address me properly:

1.) What steps should I make after I finish my current course?
2.) Will my hours be credited when I study in US?
3.) Will I need to get a separate FAA License to apply for a Flight Instructor Course Training?

Thank You!

pilot4eva
6th Oct 2014, 18:19
Answers to your questions:
1)You will need to apply for an F1 visa to work as a CFI unless you are a USCitizen or have a green card.F1 visa usually allows you to work for an year or two upon completion of the course.After that you will have to leave the US.
2)Yes.Check further with the school
3)Of course.You will need to convert to an FAA CPL/IR and then do your instructors rating.
All the best!:ok:

rigonanfm
6th Oct 2014, 23:35
Thank You Very Much! I'll get back to pprune once I get all the necessary requirements for a CFI.

darkroomsource
7th Oct 2014, 08:34
We'd all love to hear about you getting an F1 visa.
Drop us a line when you get yours.

Live your dream
7th Oct 2014, 11:40
As far as I know, If you don't get your licenses with one of the flight schools , getting a Visa is going to be almost impossible. A green card is going to be even more difficult.

turbopropulsion
29th Oct 2014, 01:40
Yeah, I recently spoke with ATP flight school regarding the same thing. They told me bluntly that they don't even offer flight instructor ratings at their school for non American students. The visa is a real issue and it's virtually impossible.

rigonanfm
21st Feb 2015, 12:52
hey, I have also inquired in ATP. They said they won't be accepting non American Pilots. I have yet to inquire in other schools.

I applying for CPL now, and I am waiting for my check ride. I have decided to continue my career here in the Philippines. Getting an F1 Visa is really hard to get unless a good flying school in the US will be willing to accept you. I have yet to prove myself, and will hopefully get a job in the US when I see myself ready.

Thank you for the replies, and I appreciate them.
I'll just drop by when I have more questions. Thank you!

Johnny Bekkestad
21st Feb 2015, 21:11
First of all, try Aviator.

Here is the deal, you will only be able to convert you ppl license. So you would be attending, ME, IR, CPL SE, CPL ME, CFI, CFII and MEI at their school, so there would be money going in.
You need an F1 Visa, Aviator has a college program you can attend that will also give you what you need.

B2N2
23rd Feb 2015, 17:57
Certain schools will and certain schools will not accept foreign students for a CFI course.
Keep in mind that a school is a business and not a charity.
Nobody will provide you with a F1 visa if you only do a CFI course.
The more training you do ( and pay for) the more willing they will be to help you.
Smaller schools will not have the authorization to apply for a F1 so you're stuck with the big ones. Aviator, FlightSafety, Embry Riddle and maybe Phoenix East out of Daytona

MartinCh
25th Feb 2015, 13:27
you're likely to have to get college (at least associate degree) F1 visa to cover the legal stay with some work rights 'base'.
more than private and possibly few hours afterwards disqualifies you from being eligible for the 'training/instructing' ex-J1 F1 programme. there you go.

OTOH, some local 'community' colleges etc have associate degrees in aviation with flight school connection, which is considered 'on campus' for work purposes/instructing. Your visa sponsor would be college, not the flight school itself. It really depends on you regarding what training you'd need and money to spend.

Just to remind you, Part 61 commercial needs 250hrs aeronautical experience (ie flight and allowed sim time), so you'd still have a lot of hours to knock off, while you train converting etc. That has to be considered if you don't have other class or category flight time following your 'graduation' back in Ph. Yes, some schools doing Part 141 programmes can do reduced CPL times, but that's not likely to allow for someone with all the experience already, to do 'as required' training to end up with 200hrs total and CPL. Then you may still need to work on instructor ratings (CFI&CFII as minimum, but may as well work on the multi instructor rating in the US - not too hard if you have prior twin time/rating and still plenty cash to burn on training and flight time overall).

So, doable, but why would you want to go through so much more spending when the job market in Ph isn't that bad? Are you 'dead set' on going/living in USA?

IF you're enquiring/researching options, don't expect job offers either.
I see you've given up after checking few things. Take my info above as pointers if you change mind again or for benefit of someone else.

Gomrath
2nd Mar 2015, 18:51
I think you will find that if you already hold a CPL with IR - then you will not qualify to enter the US on a F1 student visa. It isn't issued for already qualified pilots.
You are looking for a solution to a problem - ie. to enter the US for the purpose of working as a CFI - a F1 visa won't get you that.