PDA

View Full Version : Can man fly with PPL in foreign countries?

passingnoru
6th Oct 2014, 09:07
Hey, I wonder if man can fly in foreign countries with my PPL.
I have JAA one. (actually it's expired. it can be expired right? )

and when I start traveling I wanna fly there.
like in Korea, Japan, China.
Is there any process I need to do ?

Thanks in advance

Whopity
6th Oct 2014, 13:51
You cannot exercise the privileges of a licence if it is not valid i.e. expired.

An ICAO licence allows you to fly an aircraft registered in the same State(s) as the State(s) issuing the licence, anywhere in the World.

If you wish to fly an aeroplane registered in another State you have to comply with the requirements of that State; this may involve obtaining a validation of your licence or even another licence issued by that State.

If your JAA licence has expired (over 5 years), then you will have to replace it with a new EASA licence; to be of any use you will also need a valid aeroplane class rating an EASA medical certificate and an English Language Proficiency assessment.

John R81
6th Oct 2014, 16:23
And when you get all that you might still need a safety pilot because they don't know you from Adam and aircraft ain't cheap.

Cessnafly
6th Oct 2014, 16:46
Technically speaking, yes, but privileged passage is guaranteed if you are a fit woman PPL.

No need to worry if your JAA PPL has expired either. The aircraft will not detect this and will fly just the same.

ChickenHouse
7th Oct 2014, 14:16
ROTFL ...

how many years have gone since you did your license?

A JAA PPL allows you to fly a plane registered in the country of issuance of your license everywhere in the world - in principle. If your license is expired, there is almost no way to get in the air legally without FI/FE and a skills test. Then, you can no longer revitalize your JAA, you have to go EASA Part-FCL for the renewal. Does you JAA cover CVFR as well? If not, you have to do the additional exam. If you apply for renewal, you have to present valid medical, valid language proficiency and maybe more - depending on which country your license was issued.

You may be able to fly, but you won't survive any ramp check. In the mentioned countries an expired license could be treated as terrorism, just to let you know. Also, no charter company will let you on the field without checkride and checking your papers - you don't have valid ones, you stay on the ground.

For Korea, Japan, China you need to ge acquainted with local regulations, flight restrictions (i.a. China just lowered the mandatory military clearance requirement for every flight, not to speak FPL, but you still have to be fluent in Mandarin at certain places etc etc etc).

The procedures you have to follow are quite easy - use your brain, get your license renewed with all the bells and whistles, do the respective validations for each and every country you want to fly and learn learn learn. There is no easy way for such wish.