PDA

View Full Version : Guy Martin's Spitfire : Channel 4 Documentary

CoffmanStarter
4th Oct 2014, 17:45
Just a heads up for those that might be interested and/or based overseas :ok:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/rafcms/mediafiles/5E9CCD00_5056_A318_A85C71F5A78A9D38.jpg

Channel 4 : 7.30pm Sun 12 Oct.

Channel 4 : Guy Martin's Spitfire (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/guy-martins-spitfire)

RAF BBMF Press Release : Channel 4 Documentary (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=5E8330CF-5056-A318-A832B47F8CABC2F5)

Danny42C ... a "must see" for you perhaps :)

Coff.

Ian Burgess-Barber
4th Oct 2014, 18:16
Thanks for that post Coff. I'll be recording that. Having looked at both your links I'm a bit sad to see that they couldn't find the right prop, or exhausts to put on a Mk 1 Spitfire - but then I know nothing of the difficulties of obtaining or making such things these days.

Ian BB

ShyTorque
4th Oct 2014, 20:44
I understand that Rolls Royce's own Mk 14 Spitfire suffered a landing accident not long ago and the only company who could supply a new one was in Germany!

NutLoose
4th Oct 2014, 20:59
Errr, the Rolls Spitfire that had the incident recently was the MK 19 and I think they put the spare prop on it, but yes the blades are I believe made by Hoffman in Germany.
The MK 14 rebuild was suspended and put into storage when the MK 19 needed it's rebuild a couple of years back. That's was not related to the incident it had.

I think you will find the Mk 1's are accurate, yes there were no original airworthy props available, so several props were manufactured to the original drawings, a major undertaking and not cheap. They now have 4 mk 1's flying in the UK and 2 for sale if you are feeling flush.

http://www.markonepartners.co.uk/spitfire-i

Ian BB if you look at the cockpit position, that is the two seater T9 at Duxford, not a mk1

See

http://duxfordfotogallery.co.uk/spitfire-t9/4549225053

Ian Burgess-Barber
4th Oct 2014, 21:38
Nutloose

Thanks for putting me right on that - it didn't occur to me that they would use a picture of another type of Spit. in their promotional material, I'm so naive at times - I just knew that a Mk 1 would not have had 4 blades upfront and 6 'auspuffs' per side!

Ian BB

VinRouge
4th Oct 2014, 22:03
The guy owns a fully working Rolls Royce Merlin, for no other reason than he wanted one! A modern day Fred Dibnah, and a nice bloke to boot it seems. I really enjoyed his show on refurbing steam trains, was fascinating.

racedo
4th Oct 2014, 22:05
Read Guy Martins Auto Biography recently and first time I saw him was in a IOM TT documovie where felt he was a bit of a prat, seeing him in the Docus since I figure I called it wrong as he comes across as a larger that life character.

Chatting to an Irish guy recently who big into Motorbike Road Racing who said Guy probably one of the nicest most genuine guys he has ever come across in 35 plus years of being involved in the sport................daft as a brush but someone who fans love because he gives his all.
Told a story of in Ireland when he goes to one road race and visits some friends that the wife of the friend just says that teabags in the house will just get all used up such is his tea drinking skills.

Guy was named after a certain Guy Gibson of which he claims to be very proud of giving said Gibsons exploits.

He is definitely entertainment and a genuine nice guy so please do a reminder on the day.

ShyTorque
4th Oct 2014, 22:27
Rolls Spitfire that had the incident recently was the MK 19 and I think they put the spare prop on it, but yes the blades are I believe made by Hoff

Thanks for the correction over the mark of the Spitfire, but the point of my post was to highlight the irony of it having to be repaired by the adversary it was designed to defeat.

Danny42C
4th Oct 2014, 22:37
Coffman Starter,

Ta ! (Roger Wilco), Danny.

nutnurse
5th Oct 2014, 18:09
Who is Roger Wilco? I don't believe I've met him. I know Rog and good old Wilkers, of course...

PPRuNe Pop
5th Oct 2014, 22:08
Just a point! The BBMF in their article state that there was 8 seconds of firing time on Spitfire they were talking about. I knew it to be 14 seconds, as written in G. Wellum's book and Bader mentioned if often enough. Could it be the Mk 1's guns only 'allowed' for 8 secs.

Could be the last?
6th Oct 2014, 19:26
Of course he is a genuine guy, he's a straight talking Yellow Belly!!

Danny42C
6th Oct 2014, 19:57
PPRuNe Pop,

Don't think so (but can't be positive). The British .303 Browning used in WW2 for our fixed wing, turret and free mountings was a derivative of the US .300 AN/M2. It had a rate of fire of 1150 rounds/min (Wiki). IIRC, the Spit loaded 400 rounds per gun (Wiki says 350 for a Vb), so (theoretically) 20.8 seconds (18.3 for a Vb) firepower max (as all guns fired simultaneously; there was no provision to select only one or more at a time (as you could do with bombs, say).

But when you had a set of 2 cannon and 4 Brownings, the firing button on your spade-grip was a sort of long "see-saw" button: top was "cannon", bottom was "guns" (or was it the other way round ?) and the middle was "both".

I am no authority, as at OTU (mostly Mk.1s) we only fired a few cannon rounds (on a Mk.II) just to see what it felt like (scary), but no air/air or air/ground gunnery practice. On 20 Sqdn. the guns had been taken out of the XVIs, but I had a fortnight's Gunnery School on Griffon Spits, firing only .303s at flag targets to little effect.

Of course, you would never fire all your 20 (18) seconds in a single burst (and if you did, the barrels would be red hot). All the wartime fighter pilots write about 2-3 second bursts, which I suppose was the maximum you could hold your sights on an enemy who is not going to sit quietly while this is going on (or indeed has seen you coming).

Danny.

racedo
6th Oct 2014, 22:23
Danny

Off topic post which Pop may indulge me but did you ever write a book of your exploits and memories.

Not seeking your identity as that would really bring down the Wrath of Mod. :E

Danny42C
7th Oct 2014, 01:16
racedo,

No book (no money in it, market awash with war memoirs). But I Post on "Gaining a RAF Pilots' Brevet in WWII" from time to time (IIRC start around page 114).

Mine, too !

racedo
7th Oct 2014, 09:39
Thanks will have a read of that when I got a year.

I do hope you have sat in front of a camera and told how it was.
This to preserve a piece of living history.

Basil
7th Oct 2014, 13:18
the only company who could supply a new one was in Germany!
Bit like the boiler for a replica steam locomotive built recently in the UK.

Tankertrashnav
7th Oct 2014, 23:31
as written in G. Wellum's book

I saw a trailer for the programme tonight and saw a clip of Geofferey Wellum talking, so that will be worth seeing.

A great chap, he lives near here - must be 92 -93 now. One of the last of The Few! (along with Danny of course!)

NutLoose
7th Oct 2014, 23:37
Racedo, you seriously want to take time out and read the thread Danny is referring to, it is superlative

jolihokistix
7th Oct 2014, 23:45
Danny42C, a pleasure to converse with you here, and fascinating insight you give. Many thanks.

Is it true that a few rounds were fired to test the guns each time the fighters flew off, somewhere over the cliffs?

racedo
8th Oct 2014, 10:02
Racedo, you seriously want to take time out and read the thread Danny is referring to, it is superlative

I know. |Hence why I said taking a year.

About 10 years ago I read an online thread about someone who recorded events that happened every single day during WW2, some guy from Stoke on Trent / The Potteries. It took many many months to read it and sadly no idea of link.

I will download it to puter sometime when have loads of spare time so I can read.

Danny42C
8th Oct 2014, 19:11
Tankertrashnav,

Your: "One of the last of The Few! (along with Danny of course!)"

I knew this might happen ! For the record: Danny did not touch a Spitfire until July'42 at his OTU. (Two years after the BoB and the "Few"). Finished the Course in Sept'42, was sent out to India (where there were no Spitfires - typical ! - although they came out later, by which time D. was otherwise engaged).

Came back to RAF in'49, ended at 20 Sqn '50-'51 on Vampires and Spitfires (non-operational - it was no more than a big Calibration Flight). And that was it ! Nothing to do with the Few, old chap !....D.

NutLoose,

Thanks for the plug for "Gaining a Pilots Brevet etc...".....Long may its lum reek...D.

jolihokistix,

My pleasure, Sir !

You see what you've started, TTN ?

No idea. Sounds reasonable. The bomber gunners tested theirs over the N. Sea, I believe. The fighter boys could have done the same over the Channel. If one of your eight was on the blink, you wouldn't notice. If none worked, it would be a good idea to go home....D.

racedo,

I reckon 2105 days in WW2. Would keep you busy.....D.

Cheers, all. Danny.

Tankertrashnav
8th Oct 2014, 23:22
Danny - sorry about that, my mistake!

tartare
9th Oct 2014, 01:54
Those of us in the colonies who like old fighters and fast motorbikes would greatly appreciate a link to this if there is one when it is broadcast.
`Closer to the Edge' made one appreciate just how fookin mad those TT racers are.

The Civil Civillian
9th Oct 2014, 19:47
What type of replica have they built? Is it one of those 80 or 90% scale jobs or is it proper 1:1?

diginagain
9th Oct 2014, 20:34
What type of replica have they built? Is it one of those 80 or 90% scale jobs or is it proper 1:1?

It's The complete re-building of Spitfire N3200to quote a paragraph in the second article linked in the opening post.

racedo
9th Oct 2014, 23:04
`Closer to the Edge' made one appreciate just how fookin mad those TT racers are.

School friend of mine has done TT.
I wasn't at his 21st but he had such a baby face that bouncers refused him entry to place his party was at.
He was throwing a hissy fit and arguing until someone went and fetched the manager.
What was funny was his younger brother by 4 years was allowed in no challenge.

And yup Road Racers are mad.

Recommend Guy Martins book, a real good read.

ericferret
10th Oct 2014, 17:48
My favourite quote from Guy was in the attempt on the world sledge(!) speed record.
They had an extremely attractive member of the British Olympic team on hand.

Guy

"She says she comes from Baarth, we think it's near Bath"

(Knowledge of English regional accents required sorry)

Tay Cough
11th Oct 2014, 17:48
GAR link Here (http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/03/26/aviation-news-spitfire-mk-ia-n3200-flies/). Restoration carried out by John Romain/ARCo.

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2014, 14:19
OK ... Ahead of the programme this evening ... if you suddenly get a rush of blood to the head and plan to cash in your Pension Pot to buy a spit ... an article worth reading first ;)

Goodwood : Boultbee Flight Academy (http://grrc.goodwood.com/cool-stuff/youre-thinking-buying-spitfire?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The+Goodwood+Estate+Company+Ltd&utm_campaign=4837159_GRR+Newsletter+10+OCT+GRR+GRR+INTEREST&utm_content=Spitfire&dm_i=1QLU,2VODJ,B0O42U,AFEWT,1)

Coff.

PS. Nice pics ... and they are immaculate close up :ok:

The Oberon
12th Oct 2014, 15:04
Good article about Guy Martin's Volvo Estate in the Sunday Times driving section, 788bhp and handling to match.

It's Not Working
12th Oct 2014, 17:34
For those that missed it the first time around it is repeated tonight, Sunday, 1930 Ch4.

dctyke
12th Oct 2014, 18:56
During my time on 1(f) harriers there were a couple of unsuccessful attempts by the RAF to claim the spitfire that was bequeathed to the ground crew some years earlier. If they had not tried to bully their way to it at the time it would have most probably been handed over. Does the present 1(f) still have it or did it ever make it back to the skies?

MightyGem
12th Oct 2014, 19:02
For those that missed it the first time around it is repeated tonight, Sunday, 1930 Ch4.
Err...tonight IS the first time round.

AR1
12th Oct 2014, 19:49
Watching it STAR on +1.

dctyke
12th Oct 2014, 19:59
Did they ever say which parts were actually transferred across, looking at the wreck I would not have thought there were any? A fantastic build however surely a new a/c rather than a restored one!

Faithless
12th Oct 2014, 20:13
Beautiful just beautiful, to all those that were involved. What a guy- that Guy!
People that don't understand aviation will never get it. There was a bit of dust in the Faithless abode tonight!

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2014, 20:18
My personal opinion ... I thought it was an excellent piece delivered in the expected 'Boys Own' style of Guy Martin. The craftsmanship of all the engineers involved (seen and unseen ... then and now) simply outstanding :D

Perhaps Nutty knows how much of the original aircraft was included in the re-build.

Well worth watching :ok:

AR1
12th Oct 2014, 20:22
Was that 109 the merlin engined A/C - It looked like it accommodated a V configuration engine.

NutLoose
12th Oct 2014, 20:30
Yes it was the Buchon version, in Spanish service with the RR Merlin, they were the ones used in the B Of B film. In fact the prototype 109 was Roll Royce powered prewar.

Dctyke, the Spitfire is I believe now owned by the 1 Sqn association, when 1 Sqn shifted up north it went to the BBMF where it had some tarting up done to it before it followed the Squadron up north.

Coff, often not a lot, the CAA require a data plate for a "rebuild" but that's about it, the rest will be more or less totally new, indeed the data plate is often renewed, but you need the genuine plate to start with. One I know had an original leading edge in it, but that's was about it.

salad-dodger
12th Oct 2014, 20:32
Great programme, and Guy Martin's enthusiasm is superb. Same question from me though as tyke's, how much of the 'restored' aircraft came from the original?

S-D

Coochycool
12th Oct 2014, 20:54
My eyes seemed to be bothering me at Chateau Cooch tonight for some reason watching that.

I too was left wondering about the Buchon and whether there had ever been any direct in-flight comparisons made of the airframes with similarly rated Merlins? I don't suppose they ever faced each other for real?

And I agree that however few original parts were re-used, it would have been nice to know which! Wonderful nonetheless!

Brian W May
12th Oct 2014, 21:09
Brilliant documentary.

Shame about the unnecessary 0.5" calibre stuff. If my sources are correct, that calibre was never fitted in a Mk 1 Spitfire.

That's nitpicking however, he's a talented engineer and had a wonderful attitude - is he today's Fred Dibnah?

NutLoose
12th Oct 2014, 21:18
Here is the 1 sqn one

RAF Leuchars Air Day 2012 (http://www.mccrow.org.uk/Aircraft/Leuchars/RAFLeuchars2012.htm)

GeeRam
12th Oct 2014, 21:38
Shame about the unnecessary 0.5" calibre stuff. If my sources are correct, that calibre was never fitted in a Mk 1 Spitfire.

Yes, but, in fairness they never said it was, and mentioned that it was fitted to later versions, which it was, as the E Wing fit MkXVI's used by the RAF in the last year of the war had the inner 20mm Hispano replaced by a fifty (and no outer .303's)

Also, live a/c fit Browning .303's are a tad thin on the ground, hence having to make do with the fifty for the demo.

Tashengurt
12th Oct 2014, 21:45
'Todays Fred Dibnah'.
Good comparison I'm sure he'd be happy with!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Tankertrashnav
12th Oct 2014, 22:30
Mrs TTN has never seen him before and asked who he was and what he did. I told her he was like a new Fred Dibnah, so it seems a lot of us had the same idea. Enthusiasm is so infectious.

Re how much of the original was used- did I hear it correct that a lot of the original Merlin had been used (the block, etc?) after an extensive rebuild?

smujsmith
12th Oct 2014, 23:09
Eee lads, this bloke has got it all. And how nice to see such enthusiasm put in to a programme on aircraft engineering, that drew me into the service many years ago. I had a blooming flashback when they went to the "building the wings" bit. Nice rows of gripper pins awaiting the rivetting. Blue, Yellow and Red, from memory Blue 5/32, Yellow 1/8 and red 3/32 (all fractions of an inch). Yep, I'm sure many enjoyed this programme, and the hairy fellah was top notch. Thanks for the heads up on this guys, it was a treat.

Smudge:ok:

PS, no Mickey take on the "eee lads", I talk like that too.

Bill4a
13th Oct 2014, 10:00
A wonderful programme I enjoyed every minute, I have it recorded so thanks to sky I can watch it again. Even though the commentary was a bit weak in places it was thoroughly enjoyable. I must say it brought an onion in the room watching it take off. Strange to see Caroline's Spit without her in it though.

Chugalug2
13th Oct 2014, 10:23
Danny 42C:-
The bomber gunners tested theirs over the N. Sea, I believe. The fighter boys could have done the same over the Channel. If one of your eight was on the blink, you wouldn't notice. If none worked, it would be a good idea to go home....D.Recalls a quote from Bob Doe, who said that having trained on the Spitfire and before going into action in the BoB, he was authorised to fly over the North Sea and fire his guns at it. "I managed to hit it!", he recalled proudly.
He managed subsequently to hit a few other things as well. Wikki credits him with 14 and 2 shared, but his daughter (a Virgin Express F/O with whom I shared a F/D from time to time) reckoned it was 17. Either way he was then the highest scoring surviving BoB pilot...
RIP Sir, duty done.
Bob Doe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Doe)

MAINJAFAD
13th Oct 2014, 10:41
Wasn't the Grace Spitfire. Guy flew in PV202 which is based at Duxford. The Grace Spitfire is ML407 and is based at Bentwaters. Plus Grace Spitfire has a different rear cockpit position (it's a lot lower than PV202). There are at least four Tr 9 twin stick Spits in the UK.

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2014, 10:59
I understand that because of C of G considerations the weight limitation for the rear seat occupant is around 170lbs.

That means I have far too many pounds to be able to fly in one, and far too few of the other sort to pay for the flight! Ah well, they'd need a bloody big shoe horn to get me in any case :(

racedo
13th Oct 2014, 13:41
Mrs TTN has never seen him before and asked who he was and what he did. I told her he was like a new Fred Dibnah, so it seems a lot of us had the same idea. Enthusiasm is so infectious.

Think we said ages ago on here that he was the new Fred Dibnah..........

As Guy in his book plainly sets out he is not Bike racer (though he excels at it), not a TV presenter (again he is good because he doesn't understand how to BS) he is just a truck mechanic - on Skania and Volvo trucks which he eluded to a couple of time.

I laughed when time and again you see him with a mug of tea in his hand, pretty much that is what he is known for among friends of always having a big mug of tea in his hand.

It is his infectious passion that people like.

Trumpet_trousers
13th Oct 2014, 14:47
Great programme! I liked the bit during the flight where he says to Cliff Spink: "I think you've done this before"
Great to showcase the true British craftsmanship of ARCo too! :ok:

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2014, 14:55
A great documentary, but I doubt I was the only one struggling to comprehend Guys accent at times?

NutLoose
13th Oct 2014, 16:55
MAINJAFAD

Wasn't the Grace Spitfire. Guy flew in PV202 which is based at Duxford. The Grace Spitfire is ML407 and is based at Bentwaters. Plus Grace Spitfire has a different rear cockpit position (it's a lot lower than PV202). There are at least four Tr 9 twin stick Spits in the UK

The twin seat Spitfire is ARCO's own, it is also one of the ones I believe being used by the Boultbee academy in which you can now have flights without being a pilot.

The rear cockpit (Raised) canopy was the standard military trainer fit, Caroline's Graces late husband Nick wanted a lower sleeker design, so it is based on two forward canopies. :)

And if you do wish to partake in a flight in one, see

http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/#!passenger-flights/c1exu

:)

Shaft109
13th Oct 2014, 17:14
Here's a clip showing GM doing his other 'hobby' -

No idea how people can process at thet speed with no margin at all for error.

GUY MARTIN 275Kmh Speed Wobble ?HD? - Isle of Man TT - SURREAL ? - YouTube (http://youtu.be/xe0igW8jNyU)

nimbev
13th Oct 2014, 18:59
Who is Roger Wilco?I am surprised that you dont know him, Nutnurse. He is the brother-in-law of that well known RN operator Roger Wait Out, much beloved by the maritime community.

NutLoose
13th Oct 2014, 19:05
And cousin to that naval chappie with perspiration problems, Feet Wet

dragartist
13th Oct 2014, 19:14
Stupid question from Dragartist:

Why no yak s#!t?

When they were making wings at Castle Brom did they have jigs or form blocks to check the profile of the skins prior to riveting them. I can't imagine them having them on and off five times for adjustment.
Did they also have squeeze riveting tools in those days?

Cheers

NutLoose
13th Oct 2014, 19:20
Yak sh*t is no longer used by BAe as it is water based and I believe was causing corrosion. These days they tend to use thycol in construction. They would of had formers yes, as for squeeze riveters, not sure, are you aware on the likes of the Mosquito they had concrete formers they simply laid they plywood skins up on.

dragartist
13th Oct 2014, 20:24
Thanks Nutty,
Thiokol - general name for Polysulphide Rubber. Probably also known as PRC. last tins of the stuff I saw were Berger trade name. 1221 BT 1/2 or 1444 if I recall. we used this on the Chinook throughout and on pressurised areas of other aircraft. Sea King used Silcaset IIRC.

I believe the development work on these two part sealants/jointing compounds was done at Fairey Aviation in the 1950s by a scientist by name of Stan Maskell. Later became Chair of the Plastics and Rubber Institute. Stan was a good mate of mine.

I did not realise that the old Zinc Chromate stuff had gone out of favour. I only found out a couple of months back that Alochome 1200 had gone as well.

Never knew about the concrete used on the Mosquito.

I have some crashed bits of Mossie in my garage and no I am not going to reconstruct it !

Drag

Agaricus bisporus
13th Oct 2014, 20:45
Even by reading his wiki page I can't see show a truck mechanic manages to afford a Spit. How ever did he do it?

NutLoose
13th Oct 2014, 20:46
Alocrom 1200 is still in use

Landroger
13th Oct 2014, 21:53
I watched it this evening on Ch4 OD and I agree with everyone. Guy Martin is certainly the most appropriate successor to 'Our Fred' and for all the reasons given. His enthusiasm, his genuine love of machines and the history of them, his very obvious meticulous skills as an engineer and his great respect for the men and women who did the job day after day.

A number of times he dismissed any efforts he had made and was unstinting in praise for the Duxford team. Having said that, you can tell an engineer by what they look at and, more importantly touch. When I go to the science museum, I can't help touching these things. The mere fact that Guy was allowed to cut metal on real components, meant that his skills had been reccognised and not found wanting.

And the aeroplane itself? What can one say? It's a real Mk1 Spitfire and therefore is beautiful. QED.

Digressing slightly, I was camping at Downe Camp (Downe Scout Activity Centre to give it its proper name) next to Biggin Hill, two weekends ago and on Saturday afternoon we were treated to someone in a Spitfire not only 'having it, but flaunting it'. Five or six good passes over our heads and the sound never ceases to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Was that one of the two seat ones?

And on the same day (I think, it may have been the Sunday) I heard an aeroplane passing overhead and went out to check it, because it sort of sounded like a Merlin, but somehow not quite. When I looked at it my immediate reaction was; Hurricane? On its own? Just overflying Biggin? Then I wondered if there is a flyable 'scale model' based there or elsewhere? I am getting very rusty now, but in my time I have competed at the Air Britain Society Interservice Air Spotting Competition - if such a thing still exits?

Roger

racedo
13th Oct 2014, 22:12
No idea how people can process at thet speed with no margin at all for error.

He has had more than his share of high speed accidents, even admits to causing some.

MAINJAFAD
13th Oct 2014, 23:16
but in my time I have competed at the Air Britain Society Interservice Air Spotting Competition - if such a thing still exits?

It wasn't an interservice thing, as the Civiees were allowed to enter it (though there was a prize for the best service team if memory serves). Qualified for the final of it as an Air Cadet in 1983 (and the ATC National Final as well, having been on the team that beat the 1982 winners (of both) in the regional ATC final by one point (My team was fourth in the Air Britain Qualifier and I was in the top twenty individuals who also qualified), but on the weekend of the final I was on my first weekend in the RAF at Swinderby. Seeing it isn't on the events list of the Air Britain web site, it must have been canned. Pity!!!:{:{:{

tartare
14th Oct 2014, 01:18
Riding a big motorbike at high speed = just a tiny, little bit like flying a fast jet.
Always pay attention, don't let it get ahead of you, situational awareness is a must, as are fast reactions.
And if you're in the least bit slack or cocky, it will bite you - quickly - and big time.
My country wouldn't let me fly the latter, that's why I ride the former.

Danny42C
14th Oct 2014, 01:22
Chugalug, (your #50)

Wasn't he the chap who wrote , that on one of his early BoB dogfights aircraft were whirling around all over the sky; he had no idea what was going on, then suddenly this Me 110 (Wiki) appeared in front of him at point-blank range, all he had to do was press the button and down it went - his first "kill" ! (Or was it another of the BoB aces ? - it was one of them).

I never knew he was in the IAF in the Burma campaign. It would be in either 7 or 8 Sqdns (both ex-VV , re-equipped with Spit XIVs; my old friend Niel Ker - (with whom I shared the Adj job on 20 Sqdn at Valley in the '50s), flew the XIVs on 8.

There must have been something in the air of New Zealand in those days which produced brilliant plastic surgeons. Beside Harold Gillies at Park Prewett Hospital, there was Archibald McIndoe at the Queen Victoria in East Grinstead (a name which resounded round the RAF in the war, but might mean something to one in a thousand of the general public today).

My daughter spent 20 years of her nusrsing career at the Queen Victoria, and remembers Bob Doe well, as he always attended the "Guinea Pig" reunions held there.

I like Wiki's quotation from Wg. Cdr. Doe, DSO, DFC and Bar (RIP):

"Quotations[edit] We do not want to be remembered as heroes, we ask only to be remembered for what we did ... that's all".

(I'm with him 100% on that - couldn't put it better myself)......Danny.

Chugalug2
14th Oct 2014, 07:14
Good Morning Danny, yes it certainly sounds like Bob Doe. As self effacing and modest as ever (though that pretty well goes for all in your generation I'd say).
Glad you found his Wikki entry interesting. It's a small world, isn't it?
As for Sir Archibald, I'm pleased to say that a statue has at last been dedicated to him at East Grinstead. A very remarkable man indeed.

Landroger
14th Oct 2014, 08:54
It wasn't an interservice thing, as the Civiees were allowed to enter it (though there was a prize for the best service team if memory serves).

Ah, I was one of the civies. The prize for the winners of the All England Air Scout Air Spotting competition was an invitation to take part in the Air Britain Air Spotting competition. In a posh building just down the street from The RAF Club, I believe. We beat our arch rivals the 44th Fulham and attended in our uniforms which, in about 1962, was short trousers and smart berrets.

The place was full of uniforms, of course, but the nice thing was (and actually still is) we didn't get a single smirk or 'Dib, dib, dib' from anyone. I saw that from the officers and crew of HMS London many years ago when we took a bunch of Scouts on board for a tour. When I visited the ship the day before, in civies, it was very much arms length, 'who are you and why?' The following day in uniform, with thirty odd kids, also in uniform, the Royal Navy could not have been more accommodating or friendly.

Roger

Rocket2
14th Oct 2014, 09:55
"Alocrom 1200 is still in use" - as is PRC in its many forms - anyone here been past PRC house (their HQ) on the outskirts of Washington? A brown abomination of a building when I passed by many moons ago.
Yak Poo is still available if you need it too.
R2

airborne_artist
14th Oct 2014, 09:56
I'm not quite sure why the producers chose a BMW 535 for target practice.

The Bf 109 was powered by a Daimler Benz engine, so an old Merc would have been much more appropriate.

Wensleydale
14th Oct 2014, 10:20
Guy Martin at his day job in the Isle of Man TT (you can just see his arm front right). This was not the result of the .50 Cal however.

https://vanishingpointbikes.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/martin-crash.jpg?w=584

Cornish Jack
14th Oct 2014, 10:54
I'm not quite sure why the producers chose a BMW xxx for target practice.
Does it matter?:E Anything which destroys these over-hyped eejit transports has to be welcomed!:ok: and what a superbly satisfying way to do it!!:D Pity it's not more widely available!:*

dctyke
14th Oct 2014, 11:57
I find it difficult to think of it as a 'restored' a/c, to my eyes it is an excellent replica. Of course if it is accepted as restored it is worth many times more and comes with provenance. In the vintage racing car world there have been many court cases over this. In one there was an Auto Union Silver Bullet with history that the crashed bits made three cars, all claiming to be the real one. Millions of pounds stood on who won that particular court case.
I'm also interested in who actually owns a RAF a/c that is dug up? I'm sure there is someone on here that can answer that one.

GeeRam
14th Oct 2014, 12:58
In the vintage racing car world there have been many court cases over this. In one there was an Auto Union Silver Bullet with history that the crashed bits made three cars, all claiming to be the real one.

Happens in the vintage warbird world as well. Not to long ago, there was a 'dispute' over the identity of a P-51D owned by a well known Duxford based operator.

ericferret
15th Oct 2014, 10:19
The excrement of an asian mammal now goes under the guises of JC5A or Mastinox.
The latter being a delight as it normally comes with dire health warnings.

At least one manufacture was offering a choice on build as to whether the aircraft was dry or wet assembled and priced accordingly.

JC5 normally gets used aftermarket as a bolt coating.

Some manufacturers e.g Agusta Westland have gone to solid film coating on bolts. Total crap as evidenced by large rivet guns being used to drive out bolts. Maintenance wants to use JC5A or other non hardening coatings. However a standoff ensues.

Similar issues involve the old DTD 555 Etch Primer. Supposedly banned around the world still available in the UK, not for export. Having seen a whole series of Boeing 737 which lost large amounts of paint on their delivery flights you can understand why there is still a market for a proven product, environmental concerns not withstanding..

NutLoose
15th Oct 2014, 11:10
Drag Artist,

This is the new Build Mosquito and shows the technique, because it was a low production run they built the moulds out of wood, they used to lay up the fuselage halves then would remove them from the moulds and fit them out with most of the interior before joining them along the spine like a giant wooden airfix kit.
Originally concrete was used as it was a stable material and not subject to the variances in size due to temperature, thus ensuring a standard size for the halves.

see

Mosquito Aircraft Restoration, Photos (http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/gallery01.shtml)

Incidentally the DH Museum at Salisbury hall actually has a damaged half of the original concrete mould on display for the Sea hornet.

http://www.airfieldarchaeology.co.uk/uploads/7/3/3/0/7330321/930445_orig.jpg

from

Salisbury Hall - Airfield Archaeology (http://www.airfieldarchaeology.co.uk/salisbury-hall.html)

Wensleydale
15th Oct 2014, 11:14
"I'm also interested in who actually owns a RAF a/c that is dug up? I'm sure there is someone on here that can answer that one."

The wreckage still belongs to the MOD. It is illegal in this country to pick up and remove any item from an aircraft wreck unless permission is first obtained. (But not sure about aircraft "residing" overseas such as a sand dune near Dunkirk).

racedo
15th Oct 2014, 12:21
Guy Martin at his day job in the Isle of Man TT (you can just see his arm front right). This was not the result of the .50 Cal however.

Nope that is his hobby.

Day job is underneath a Volvo or Scania truck.

billy1944
15th Oct 2014, 14:44
Does anyone know the name of the book guy Martin is reading?

NutLoose
15th Oct 2014, 16:53
Do you mean extracts from his diary..

I Walk Alone
By Sqn Leader Stephenson

That's the one he read from, but was a photocopy I think from a transcript of his diary.

The other when sitting in the chair (by doing a quick google search for the cover) is this one,

See

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Portrait-Legend-Leo-McKinstry/dp/0719568757

Spitfire: Portrait of a Legend Paperback
by Leo McKinstry (Author)