PDA

View Full Version : What does this instruction mean?

a5in_the_sim
29th May 2002, 10:11
Could someone in ATC give me a straight answer to the following question? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Frequently at the airfield I operate from (a major airport) the approach controller will say the following either before or after established on the localiser for the runway in use.

ATC: "WF123 DESCEND ALTITUDE 2500 FT FURTHER WITH THE GLIDESLOPE"

Does this mean that the aircraft is or is not cleared to descend on reaching the glideslope. ATC will frequently say in their next transmission (in response to a localiser established call):

ATC: "WF123 CLEARED FOR THE APPROACH RUNWAY XXR"

This sometimes sounds like the aircraft was never cleared for the descent on the glideslope in the first place.

In most cases the second trasmission comes before the initial cleared altitude and it isn't a big deal, but sometimes the frequency is quite busy and the cleared altitude is reached and glideslope intercept occurs before the second transmission. Is it OK to descend?

Up to now I have assumed YES.

Respectfully,
A four striper.

Kuntrol_Freek
29th May 2002, 11:21
ATC: "WF123 DESCEND ALTITUDE 2500 FT FURTHER WITH THE GLIDESLOPE"

Fairly self explanatory but definately not standard phraseology (at least not anywhere I have worked).
If I was a pilot, everytime I was given the above instruction I would be responding with "confirm we are cleared for the ILS?"
Perhaps then the controller cobcerned might get the message.

eyeinthesky
29th May 2002, 12:54
There was some disussion about this about three months ago. A search might give more info. I'm not an approach controller but I am a CPL/IR and I think that you have been doing the right thing. In an attempt to stop you intercepting the glideslope from above or at least to stop you getting high whilst trying to intercept the localiser you are given descent to, in this case, 2500 ft. The rest of the descent comes when you have intercepted both glideslope and localiser.

The alternative is the following:

"XXX turn left heading 230, report established on the localiser"

"XXX is localiser established"

"XXX descend on the ILS".

The method you describe is far shorter but might not be standard phraseology. The point is to stop you descending too low before you are protected by the ILS or before you are within agreed noise areas.

expedite_climb
29th May 2002, 16:41
Or how about :

WF 123 desend 2500' Turn left 250 cleared for the ILS ??

Spitoon
29th May 2002, 17:49
The standard praseology given in MATS 1 for what seems to be going on is:

'When established on the localiser, descend on the ILS, QFE (Pressure) Millibars/QNH (Pressure) Millibars, Elevation (Number) feet.'

Presumeably preceded by 'Closing the localiser from the left/right' although it doesn't say it quite as clearly as it might.

Seems straightforward to me.

If you wanted a theoretical answer, I think I'd say that the aircraft should maintain the last cleared level until specifically cleared for the approach (which in today's phraseology is indicated by 'descend on the ILS ').

Pan-seding
30th May 2002, 01:12
Once again what appear to be Area validated guys seem to be replying in what is an approach environment I wish they would cease because our rules are very different from theirs.
There are two points here. Firstly the glide path signal of ALL approach aerials in the UK is only protected to a maximum of 10 miles, that is why we request "Report established". We are legally obliged to ensure that you are established on the localiser BEFORE giving descent on the ILS. If you happen to intercept the localiser outside of glide path protection , then you can only cleared for descent to 3000 feet initially ( approx 10 miles"further with the ILS"). Any descents lower than this require you to be observed (by radar)within the particular airfields final approach area. In which case you are relying on the particular ATCOS knowledge of the surrounding terrain to keep you clear of potential trouble.

Avalon
30th May 2002, 16:30
Pan-sending has got it right.
Also there may be occasions when ATC may want to get you DOWN to 2500 or whatever because of other traffic. But of course if it isn't clear - ask!

Hermie
30th May 2002, 18:57
Hey,

Just wondering ...

eyeinthesky said :

"XXX descend on the ILS".

I'm wondering, if there is any difference if its said this way. When you are established on the localizer.

Controller says :

"XXX continue approach RWY 02" ??

Thank in Advance

Cheers,
Herman :cool:

CloggyUK
30th May 2002, 19:30
Hermie,

it does make a diffenrence.

"Descend on the ILS" is an actual clearance to descend on the glidepath. This is the UK equivalent of the continental "Cleared approach"

"Continue Approach" is used by twr controllers to tell the pilot he's not cleared to land yet and making this unambiguous.

Reason for descending on the glide path has mainly to do with other traffic. At LHR there is traffic operating underneath the glidepath. (separated). To tell a pilot to descend on the ILS he will stay seperated from that traffic.

CloggyUK
30th May 2002, 19:33
In addition: One of the Heathrow Radar controllers has explained everything once on a different thread, can't think of where at the moment.

C

DB_TWR
3rd Jun 2002, 14:23
ATC: Decend to 2300ft, cleared ILS, report established LLZ

Why make it more difficult then that?

Crotalus
3rd Jun 2002, 15:57
I think it might be our airport .....ok the rationale is this When I give an instuction like that it is for the following reason .....I would like you to descend when you are established on the ils not before .If I don't give the instruction DESCEND I expect you to remain in level flght till you are given the instruction to descend.Traffic may report established quite some distance from the end of the runway and to clear someone for the ils at that point means what ? descend then to the platform height? ...remain in level flight until intercepting the glide?What about traffic underneath /crossing ..we have a lot of that ..what about traffic which calls just before you report established and then gives it's life history ..would you descend without clearance? I reckon the instruction is perfectly clear ..BUT if you are in any doubt PLEASE ASK FOR CLARIFICATION!!:) I think this was flogged to death some weeks ago. Safe flying!!

Standard_Departure
4th Jun 2002, 04:34
If there is traffic below the arriving aircraft (or a VFR route controlled by another sector) or any other reason to keep the arriving aircraft above the initial approach alt for the approach, for a period of time or distance, then:

The use of a conditional clearance would appear to be appropriate;

XXX turn right heading 330, cleared ILS approach Rwy 36, leave 2500' on the GlideSlope.

This way, the clearance is issued, and the condition is to (effectively) maintain (or decend to) 2500', with further decent on the Glide...

I understand the issue of receiving a "insinuated" clearance, but the problem is clearance limit, and without a clear instruction, there is a risk of confusion in the event of a radio failure.

Fokker-Jock
9th Jun 2002, 23:11
Hmmm..

When established on the localizer from radar vectors, ATC cannot clear you for approach unless he has confirmed your position to be within safe distance. Meaning; Once you are cleared approach the clearance also gives you permission to descend to the approach's initial altitude and when reaching to maintain that altitude until established on the GP.

WF I assume this is CPH you are talking about as this is pretty common here. I personally don't know why they don't clear you for approach, but I assume there is a reason within the legal term of "cleared approach" Maybe that the misssed apprach sector is occupied by other traffic ? Anyway, what it means when said descend to 2500 and continue with the glide, means exacly that you are cleared down to 2500 feet and when intercepting the GP, follow it down to minima and then execute a missed if no other clearances are given; Usually there are ;)