PDA

View Full Version : PC 12 incident – Cobber Pedy.

Kharon
30th Sep 2014, 20:22
Surprised our resident 'prang spotters' missed this one, Serious incident, 23 Sept 2014 - AO-2014-156. (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2014/aair/ao-2014-156.aspx)

The why's and wherefores, from an operational standpoint should provide some interesting lessons. From the scant information provided you could call it a CFIT and the pathway to a CFIT event is always worth examining, in detail.

Anyone got any additional information?, the 'actual' wind, visibility and weather at the time would be a good place to start.

Added ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~

BoM - YCBP : Nil wind data for 23/09/2014.

September - Highest max wind gust - : WSW 78 KpH (42 knots): 9 AM S 50 KpH (27 knots) : 1500 WSW 56 KpH (30 knots).

Clever, Very Droll boys......:D...:D...:D

Creampuff
30th Sep 2014, 20:53
Clearly the runway wasn't wide enough, the aircraft's type design and maintenance standards weren't high enough and the crew's training and competence standards weren't high enough.

I anticipate CVD may have been a factor as well.

rutan around
30th Sep 2014, 21:40
Creamy
CVD?????????? Control Valve Detent??? Chemical Vapor Disposition??? Cardio Vascular Disease??? I'm confused . Which one is it? Or are you inferring too much chemical vapor disposition may have led to a cardio vascular event which led to a control valve detent error? Plois expline? :E

Frank Arouet
30th Sep 2014, 22:49
The runway width, which was previously considered dangerous by CAsA is now "un-dangerous" because of an exemption. (for Rex at least). The problem is, it wasn't long enough as the aircraft appears to have landed where the airstrip should have started. It could possibly be a CVD problem, but more likely the pilots log book was incorrectly filled in.

Jabawocky
1st Oct 2014, 00:19
I will take a punt!

The report should come out with an extremely high quality number of reports of witnesses on board and at the aerodrome.

After all how many coppers does it take to write up an accident report?

Kangaroo strike and spears off runway? Winds shear and a blown tyre? Medical?

Could be any number of things. But there will be plenty of witness reports.

Amazing it did not make the papers! Especially when they are looking in all the holes in the ground for the remains of a homicide victim which they know is there somewhere.

Cessna 180
1st Oct 2014, 01:49
I may be a bit limited, being from the country and all, but I don't actually understand anything anyone has written on this thread after the bit about "An incident at Coober Pedy!

Frank Arouet
1st Oct 2014, 06:52
Take it from permalink post 1361 on this link. It may help a bit.

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/527815-truss-aviation-safety-regulation-review-69.html

Kharon
1st Oct 2014, 07:06
C 180 - Or, better still, start (Click) –HERE (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2014/aair/ao-2014-156.aspx) – Post 1 - link to the incident. Coober Pedy has been 'in the news' lately, due to runway width issues....:ok:

ATSB "During an approach to runway 32 in gusty conditions, the pilot encountered reducing visibility due to dust, and a high sink rate. The aircraft touched down short of the runway and collided with a fence."

thorn bird
1st Oct 2014, 07:23
Perfectly clear Kharon, the runway requires lengthening in the landing direction, I mean for goodness sake a rank amateur can see that, absolute waste of taxpayer money investigating any further!!

The council must be blackmailed...err sorry..convinced to find a few million more to not only add width, but extend the length in the landing direction, problem solved..Those bloody miners don't pay enough rates, I mean seen the price of opals these days?

Desert Flower
1st Oct 2014, 08:47
Cobber Pedy no - Coober Pedy yes. And the aircraft belongs to the SAPOL Airwing. I know both of the pilots well - now I'm wondering which one it was. Maybe that's why one of them was in the C402 a few days ago!

DF.

Kharon
1st Oct 2014, 09:32
Sorry DF – I've tried to fix that typo four or fives times now, but it won't change ......:ugh:– seems Pprune prefers Cobber Pedy – has a certain ring to it.:O.

Alice Kiwican
1st Oct 2014, 11:09
Sounds like an expensive landing!

papakurapilot
1st Oct 2014, 11:31
Creampuff, how can CVD be an issue? It occured during daylight hours and at an airport with no PAPI.....?

Desert Flower
1st Oct 2014, 11:50
seems Pprune prefers Cobber Pedy – has a certain ring to it.

Yeah - sort of goes with the territory. G'day cobber! ;-) Reminds me of one pilot from my early days who always used to address FS that way!

DF.

kaz3g
1st Oct 2014, 11:54
Not much to land on outside the fence that won't do a fair bit of damage.

Kaz

Desert Flower
1st Oct 2014, 11:55
Sounds like an expensive landing!

From what I've been able to find out about the damage since I first saw this thread yes it will be!

DF.

Jabawocky
1st Oct 2014, 12:31
More speed cameras will pay for the repairs or replacement. Just watch ;)

Seb will sell a new one to them :ok:

Desert Flower
1st Oct 2014, 12:52
Seb will sell a new one to them

Given the damage, a new one might just be cheaper!

DF.

onetrack
1st Oct 2014, 14:51
Bugger the PC-12, what about the fence? Don't you blokes realise how important it is to have fences intact and in working condition?? :rolleyes:

Squawk7700
1st Oct 2014, 21:02
In Victoria the cops don't insure their cars; I wonder if this mob do the same with their aircraft !

bankrunner
1st Oct 2014, 21:30
Creampuff, how can CVD be an issue? It occured during daylight hours and at an airport with no PAPI.....?

It's as much of a CVD issue as every other safety incident in Australia in the last 30 years, ie not at all :E

Capt Quentin McHale
1st Oct 2014, 22:35
Cobber Pedy no - Coober Pedy yes. And the aircraft belongs to the SAPOL Airwing. ALA now known as "COPPER PEDY'.

McHale.:)

Desert Flower
2nd Oct 2014, 04:52
ALA now known as "COPPER PEDY'.

Lol - love it! I now know who the pilot was (my initial suspicions were correct), but since he is a PPRuNer I had better keep schtum!

DF.

Kharon
2nd Oct 2014, 22:55
Copper Pedy is gold – I was toying with Cropper Pedy; as in come a. etc.

Don't think it matters who the unfortunate individual was; I expect the pilot, is a skilled, experienced, properly trained individual; which makes the incident more operationally interesting. A professional landing a good way short of the threshold is a rare event, the conditions on the day and the configuration are of interest. I have been in dusty, smoky, gusty conditions where the light and particles in the air created a weird, almost surreal, certainly unnatural quality, which rendered all but the last hundred feet to runway useless for 'reliable' visual appreciation of speed, glide path and aiming point.

At face value, there seems little for the PIC to be ashamed of, except if the 'go-around' clues were wilfully disregarded, but even then it's easy to be fooled and modern Vnav can be mismanaged. Anyway – only idle speculation from me, the curiosity bump itcheth.

Aye well – we shall wait, the long wait until the ATSB deign to pass on their final report. But it is, you'll admit a fascinating event.

Mish A
3rd Oct 2014, 06:16
Sorry for being a bit slow, but what is CVD?......Is it Controlled Vertical Descent?

Track5milefinal
3rd Oct 2014, 06:47
Colour vision defective :ok:

Ultralights
3rd Oct 2014, 08:35
CASA Viability deficient?

Desert Flower
3rd Oct 2014, 11:45
Oddly enough, people with color vision deficiency or color blindness can often see things that normal sighted people can't. It's a bit like when you put on polarized sunglasses.

DF.

Frank Arouet
3rd Oct 2014, 23:29
A bit like NVG where everything is green, (but legal and acceptable).

Kharon
5th Oct 2014, 22:02
FCOL; Creampuff was being whimsical and very tongue in cheek with the 'CVD' reference, not literal. the Colour Vision Deficiency (CVD) is well and truly covered and explained – HERE (http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/527897-empire-strikes-back-colour-defective-pilots.html) – and – HERE (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/542738-petition-minister-truss.html) - .
CP -"Clearly the runway wasn't wide enough, the aircraft's type design and maintenance standards weren't high enough and the crew's training and competence standards weren't high enough.

I anticipate CVD may have been a factor as well
Creamy simply saved lots of pages where the usual 'arguments' get trotted out......:ugh:
Now what we have here is a perfectly healthy, professional pilot who has, in bad conditions landed short of the runway threshold. If it can happen then we need to understand the why and how of it happening; lest we repeat the incident.

Squawk7700
5th Oct 2014, 22:26
CASA Viability deficient?

Perhaps not Ultralights, don't forget they can wipe out your "extra" privileges at the press of a button :{ Only you know what I'm talking about ;)