PDA

View Full Version : CPLH Study Material & Prep Advice

Jono1986
29th Sep 2014, 23:58
Hi All

First post here so please forgive if this is a common question when I do eventually get to it.

I am, as I'm sure many of you are, about to undertake the monumental challenge of the CPL-H and I'm seeking a little advice on the reading materials. My present career has me working offshore and as a result I have plenty of time in my evenings to make good use of before I take the plunge and go in for an integrated training in about 12 months. (saving up the last of the huge sum of cash until then).

So I have bought some books to read and I am about half way through "The Air Pilots Manual - Aviation Law and Meteorology" and it has struck me that there appears to be a lot slimming down of the literature for the purposes of making it reading material for those studying for PPL, maybe I'm wrong though?

My question is, am I creating problems for myself down the line by reading this 'thinned down' version, if so can anybody point me in the direction of some material better suited to CPL.

Also the Aviation school has referred to understanding of maths & physics, Im working as an Engineer with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the maths load involved in the Flight training program won't be anywhere near as heavy as the Engineering degree, or do I need to brush up on my calculus?

Any and all tips would be welcomed, thanks in advance

paco
30th Sep 2014, 05:30
No calculus - basic mental stuff.

However, you can't just read the materials and take the exams - you have to sign on with an approved school who will have the appropriate materials.

this is my username
1st Oct 2014, 06:48
If you have an engineering degree you will find the maths trivial (nothing more than basic arithmetic, algebra and a bit of trigonometry).

One of the things which took me a while to get my head around was the over-reliance of many of the books etc on regurgitating formulae without any explanation of how they were derived (1:60 rule being a classic example). I found it much easier to get my head around the underlying principle then derive the formulae as required rather than to rote-learn them.

Paco's material (CAPT) is good - no connection other than as a happy former customer :O

paco
1st Oct 2014, 17:45
Aw shucks <blush>. :)