PDA

View Full Version : Glider Towing on an RPL/UK NPPL Equivalence

Benjybh
28th Sep 2014, 14:35
Hiya,

All things going to plan I should be going out to Australia to work at a gliding club for the season, primarily as an airfield monkey/AEI. But it would be great if I could also do some towing whilst out there. The UK NPPL, which a lot of pilots in the UK use to tow, is a sub-ICAO license so I don't think there's any way I could fly on a certificate of validation, but it seems roughly equal in requirement to the new CASA RPL (in fact slightly less restrictive).

So, is it possible to add a towing rating onto an RPL? And if so, what are the requirements for being issued one of you already had the required hours and amount of instruction, albeit in the UK?

I've trawled the CASA site for ages and still drawn a blank! If anyone has any ideas, that would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

Frank Arouet
29th Sep 2014, 00:05
In Australia one can tow gliders with an RA-Aus certificate or Restricted/ Recreational PPL. Your ICAO equivalent should suffice. There are many overseas glider pilots who work seasonally include tug duties. Contact Sport Aviation Tocumwal link below who should be able to put you right.

SportAviation (http://www.sportaviation.com.au/)

Tow Planes

EuroFox 2K
EuroFox 3K
Maule M5-180c