PDA

View Full Version : restaurants in Limassol

5aday
27th Sep 2014, 11:25
I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow so if I can pick peoples brains about the good restaurants in Limassol. Any recommendations appreciated.
thanks,
Dave M

Lima Juliet
27th Sep 2014, 13:13
Probably unwise to publicise in case you get 'visitors'...

nimbev
27th Sep 2014, 13:35
Hero's Square was the place, but didn't go to find 'good' restaurants... come to think of it we weren't looking for any kind of restaurant at all. Mind you that was nearly 50 years ago. Gawd how time flies.:mad::(

Chugalug2
27th Sep 2014, 14:29
King of the Square was the Rex...but then I suppose it would be, wouldn't it?

KPax
27th Sep 2014, 14:36
The Slow Boat Chinese on the sea front was good in the late 90's

5aday
27th Sep 2014, 15:13
Thank you all - indeed Limassol was 43yrs ago for me as an AEOp. Loads of Paphos and Larnacas after that though.

Stuff
27th Sep 2014, 15:50
All depends whether you want posh or casual.

The porta tavern in the old port area of limassol is great fun. it does a Burmese barbecue, a sort of individual bbq that is put on every table shaped like a witches hat. Great fun as a big group but don't wear your best clothes, the sauce tends to spit a bit...

Ta Piatakia (Little Plates) - 7 Nikodimou Mylona St
You'll need to book to get a seat at this great place. Sort of a meze crossed with tapas, you don't order 1 main but lots of little plates. Really amazing food and Roddy, the owner is a Cypriot TV chef and a bit of a local celebrity.

I'm sure there's a thousand other great places people will recommend.

Bill4a
27th Sep 2014, 18:54
I'm with 5aday of this one, when I was there there were so few customers for so many restaurants that the owners tripped you up to get you through the doors! The ones in Akrotiri village were great plus you could crawl back home if necessary! I believe they now charge for Kokkers, and that it comes in a bottle and not a corroded aluminium jug! How times change! :}

Brian W May
27th Sep 2014, 19:49
Don't tell me the blue-light taxis don't run anymore from Kris's . . .

5aday
27th Sep 2014, 19:58
Once again Gentlemen, much appreciated.
Dave M

Willard Whyte
28th Sep 2014, 00:05
Used to be a good TexMex restaurant, last went to it over ten years ago mind.

BBadanov
28th Sep 2014, 01:33
Guys, LJ provided good advice at post #2.
Think security.

Mods,
In fact, please consider deleting this thread.

Willard Whyte
28th Sep 2014, 01:39
Pretty sure the Russian Mafia have the whole place scoped out anyway.

Tex Mex: Rio Bravo. Lovely deep fried ice-cream. Enjoy.

Thought 'you lot' were banned from downtown? Never stopped me though.

Willard Whyte
28th Sep 2014, 01:45
The ones in Akrotiri village were great plus you could crawl back home if necessary!

Ah, the walk of shame. Bloody long way though, not what one would think having taxied there. Many a colleague slept in a drainage ditch, thankfully plod delivered 'em back to 101 1/2 hour before Met.

5aday
28th Sep 2014, 08:27
#2 thank you and yes - heeded. Just leaving for LHR.

Bren Monckton
28th Sep 2014, 16:14
Lisiotiki Souvla. Google it for details.
Been using it for over 20 years, not on tourist trail. Speciality is Souvla, Kleftico and other cypriot specials, (OK, sheeps head is not for every ones taste). The Kleftico ovens and Souvla spits are well worth a look at. Park over the road next to the veg shop. A bakery 50 yds away is also worth a look in.

orgASMic
29th Sep 2014, 06:58
I love this forum; the OP is travelling today and he gets replies of 'this place was great 50 years ago'.

@5aday - you will see this when you get here as most places have some sort of free wifi.

Check out CyprusMenu.com.cy | Cyprus restaurants and menus (http://cyprusmenu.com.cy/) or Best Limassol Restaurants: See 324 restaurants in Limassol, Cyprus with 6,938 reviews - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g190382-Limassol_Limassol_District.html) for current details and ideas.

My current favourites are:
Little Plates (great food, a walk-in wine cellar and a fun atmosphere), Aliada (an open courtyard with posh meze), Ty Xani or the Carob Tree on the castle square and the Noodle House in Old Town (anywhere in Old Town is more fun and better value than in the tourist area around the big hotels).
The new marina has all the usual chain restaurants/coffee shops but has a really nice atmosphere.
The Four Seasons Hotel does an fantastic champagne breakfast for Eu25 a head.
If you end up on Aki Strip go to Ryan's (steaks/grill, good sunday lunch buffet) or Il Gusto (Italian with a belt-busting pasta meze and good wine list).
The Cyprus Stone is alive and well. It just isn't based on dodgy meze and kokinelli anymore.

Bill4a
29th Sep 2014, 11:30
OrGasmic, the places we used 50 years ago are still going, albeit under the management of the babies we knew, all that's happened is they've got a fresh coat of paint and printed menus. Some Im told even have linen tablecloths!

orgASMic
29th Sep 2014, 14:39
The dining experience is very different today from what I remember 10 years ago (the last time I spent more than a couple of hours here). Since then the Russians have moved in wholesale and thrown a lot of cash around, generally tidying the place up and demanding a bit more than the 'mom and pop' tavernas of old. Yes, those places still exist and some are very good, but they are out in the sticks (including Polis in Aki village), not in the city. Places on the Aki Strip like Chris's Kebabs only exist because RAF Akrotiri wants them to. Limagrad now demands a more cosmopolitan scene.
Don't believe what you read in the Economist; there is plenty of money to spend on cool bars and fancy restaurants, if my night out in Old Town on Friday was anything to go by. The reason the economy is fragged is because tax evasion is the national sport.

glad rag
29th Sep 2014, 16:42
I wonder if the OP will actually ever be allowed "off base":E

5aday
29th Sep 2014, 19:43
Thank you again. I went to Ta Piatakia this evening - brilliant. Some fantastic tasters and so varied and prices really good (compared with Marlow area) Tomorrow night I'll try another one of the so many suggestions. Very grateful.

Al R
4th Oct 2014, 10:26
30 years ago last month, I started 4 very enjoyable years there. The shiny place to go then was the Blue Island - its USP was that its modern, new and fresh outlook ensured it wasn't "like all the rest".

Now, online, I see it proclaims its heritage.

#feelingold :(