PDA

View Full Version : 67th Special Operations Squadron - Freedom of Hunstanton

SUPER JOLLY GREEN
26th Sep 2014, 08:57
On Saturday 4 October 2014 the 67th Special Operations Squadron, RAF Mildenhall will be formally awarded the Freedom of Hunstanton, Norfolk. This will be the first time ever that this ancient honour has been bestowed on a single United States Air Force Squadron. The award is to recognize the heroic rescue conducted during the 1953 East Coast Floods by the Squadron’s predecessors, the 67th Air Rescue Squadron, whilst based at RAF Sculthorpe. The Squadron will march through the town, accompanied by the City of Norwich Pipe Band, and will pause at “The Spinney” at 1200 for the presentation of the Freedom Scroll. The Squadron will then exercise its right of freedom to march through the town and will follow a route along the High Street, turning left into Greevegate, down The Green to the junction with Cliff Parade turning right into Cliff Parade where they will fall out.

At a private ceremony in the Town Hall an additional Freedom Scroll will be presented to the Leming Family to honour the supreme bravery displayed that dreadful night by 22-year-old Airman 2nd Class Reis Leming, an SB-29 Aerial Gunner with the 67th Air Rescue Squadron. Despite being unable to swim, he donned an anti-exposure suit and ventured out into the freezing water, in complete darkness, towing a rubber liferaft. Following three trips into the torrent he had single-handedly rescued 27 people. During the rescues his anti-exposure suit was ripped and holed by underwater obstacles and the suit was steadily filling with icy water. At the end of his third trip,and within sight of dry land, he collapsed with exhaustion and severe hypothermia and had to be rescued himself. Reis subsequently became the first non-Briton to be awarded the George Medal. I am delighted to report that Reis’ Widow Kathy and his Son Michael will be in Hunstanton to accept the Freedom Scroll.

Please take a few minutes to read Reis’ obituary – balls of steel!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9686370/Reis-Leming.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9686370/Reis-Leming.html)

Amongst the first group of people rescued by Reis were the only complete family to survive the floods - Neil Quincey, his Wife, their two Daughters and infant Son. Neil, Jane and Bill Quincey are a tangible link to that tragic event and will be honoured guests at the ceremony.

As part of the ceremony it is hoped that an MC-130J “Commando II” will conduct a flypast. It must be stressed that this flypast is subject to operational tasking, SAR callout, aircraft serviceability and/or weather.

Come and join us in "Sunny Hunny" for what should be a unique and historic day.

nimbev
26th Sep 2014, 10:21
Excellent that the memory of Reis Leming is being individually honoured.

Wander00
26th Sep 2014, 10:49
Nice touch, well done Hunstanton, but why so long. Just a thought

SUPER JOLLY GREEN
26th Sep 2014, 11:09
Wander00

Fair point.

Whilst the special relationship between Hunstanton and the Leming Family endured the test of time, the 67th and the town lost touch. The town was unaware that the Squadron was still in existence, had become the 67th Special Operations Squadron and were based nearby at RAF Mildenhall. It was only as we approached our 60th Anniversary in 2012 that I re-established contact with Hunstanton. The Squadron's 60th Anniversary Parade on 10 Nov 12 and their participation in the 60th Anniversary of the Floods Parade on 31 Jan 13 re-established links with the town and that directly led to the awarding of the Freedom of Hunstanton.

SJGG

Wander00
26th Sep 2014, 11:21
SJGG - great it was followed up. Hope the people of Hunstanton give you a brilliant time. Your guy certainly was a hero in the best sense

Boudreaux Bob
26th Sep 2014, 12:02
Get the Video Cameras out.....the US Air Force "Marching"?

Now that is going to be a rare treat!

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
26th Sep 2014, 13:51
Reis subsequently became the first non-Briton to be awarded the George Medal.

I don't think this is correct. There were several awards made during WWII to French resistance fighters and RAAF personnel if my memory serves me right. .

There were two US servicemen awarded the GM for their bravery that day in 1953. The other being Freeman Kilpatrick.

Aaron.

Wrathmonk
26th Sep 2014, 15:35
Leming and Kilpatrick were the first Americans to be awarded the George Medal in peacetime (Wiki link only (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reis_Leming) ...)

I assume Reis Leming's heroics are better known given that he was a non-swimmer (in the literal sense, not the staff college/multi-national ops sense;))

SUPER JOLLY GREEN
26th Sep 2014, 16:17
Aaron, Wrathmonk,

You are both correct, it's my mistake. I missed the two vital words - in peacetime.

Rather poignantly, Freeman passed away on 1 Aug at the age of 87. Plans are in place to name a footpath in Hunstanton in his honour. Tragically, just like Reis, he did not live long enough to see the footpath named.

SJGG

MightyGem
26th Sep 2014, 22:03
Now that is going to be a rare treat!
Hmm...can't that be said about any branch of the US military? :E